Author Topic: Hardwick passes Hafey's RFC coaching games record  (Read 2987 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick passes Hafey's RFC coaching games record
« on: September 14, 2020, 05:35:41 AM »
Hardwick to equal Hafey coaching games’ record

Damien Hardwick will draw level with Tommy Hafey for the most games as Richmond’s senior coach in Saturday’s final home-and-away round match of the 2020 season against Adelaide at Adelaide Oval.

It will be Hardwick’s 248th game in charge of the Tigers, the same number as Hafey, who coached the Club from 1966-76, winning four premierships throughout his magnificent coaching career at Punt Road.

Hardwick, a dual premiership coach with Richmond, has an overall wining strike-rate during his tenure at Tigerland of 57.5 percent (141 wins, 103 losses, three draws).

Since 2013, Hardwick’s winning strike-rate with the Tigers is 64.6 percent (117 wins, 63 losses, one draw from 181 games).

He also joins Hafey in terms of most finals campaigns by a Richmond coach.

Hafey led the Tigers to seven finals series – 1967, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974 and 1975.

Hardwick guided the Club into the finals in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, and now 2020.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/812765/hardwick-to-equal-hafey-coaching-games-record
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 06:39:40 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Hardwick passes Hafey's RFC coaching games record
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 08:55:29 AM »
I for one thought he was a dud coach that wasn’t fairdinkum about all that he had promised when he first arrived. Even after taking us to finals in ‘13 it was blatantly obvious that our game style wasn’t finals ready nor was it a gameplan that could stand up in finals as we saw in the proceeding two years.
Fortunately, after I called for his head in ‘16, the club stood firm and knew that he was the right man to take us forward.
He has been able to construct an system and game style that is SOOOO good that no matter who plays in the team, as long as they play their role, the system will hold up and normally come out on top.

I was wrong about this bloke. He has revolutionised the game and was able to get us years of sustained success.
The players love him and play for him. They love the game style and buy in to it.
He is a absolute legend of our club and I thank him for getting us premierships again.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 09:26:36 AM »
I think we need that guy Harry (?) to comment in here

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 10:07:40 AM »
I thought he was done after 2016 also. After beveridges success in such a short time as coach I thought Hardwick was past his use by. Of course I am eating my words. Even with the absence of Caracalla we are playing champagne football (most of the time)

Credit to Hardwick for having the players completely bought into his coaching, his game style and ethos.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 02:49:19 PM »
Thought he was a dumb coach, always beaten in the coaches box by guys like Malthouse etc.

Has really grown since 2016.

Arguably one of the best of the modern era.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 03:20:06 PM »
He is a Supercoach. Took a rabble and turned them into a great team. His greatest asset is his ability to get loyalty from his players. They play for him. Hes been terrific.

Its a shame this game wasnt at the G. He deserved a standing ovation from the Tiger Army.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 07:38:53 PM »
I wanted him gone after 2016, lucky I'm not in charge of making the decisions.

2017 wasn't a great year for me, but the flag helped a lot.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 10:14:40 PM »
For old times sake just had a look at the "Sack Hardwick" thread, 259 pages starting in 2012

Some gold in that thread, not only did people want Dimma sacked, they wanted Benny Gale sacked and Peggy sacked as well

Some of the suggested replacements were:
- Ross Lyon
- John Worsfold
- Paul Roos
- Malthouse

Someone posted that Goodwin was going to be a great coach, champion coach

We are now a great Club thanks to staying the course with Dimma as coach

Well done Dimma and thank you  :clapping

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:23:43 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 01:16:41 PM »
While the Tigers' primary aim will be to lock in third spot on the ladder, it will be a momentous day for Hardwick, who will equal Tommy Hafey's record of 248 matches for the most games as a Richmond senior coach.

Hafey, who died in 2014 aged 82, remains one of the club's most famous names, having led the Tigers from 1966 to 1976, claiming four premierships. While Hardwick has two less premierships to date, he has also equalled Hafey in terms of taking the club to seven finals series.

"It's quite humbling," Hardwick said, praising the administrative structure of the club.

"Talking about being in the same sentence as Tommy Hafey is quite embarrassing in a way. I look at Tommy, he has won four flags and has been an incredible ambassador of not only our football club but the AFL in general."

Hafey's wife Maureen has passed on her "well wishes", with Hardwick adding it had been humbling to have received last year's premiership cup from her.

Hardwick had an inauspicious start to his coaching career, dropping his first nine matches before a breakthrough victory in the slop against the Power in Adelaide. However, improvement soon came, and he now enjoys an excellent winning clip of 57.5 per cent (141 wins, 103 losses, three draws), one that jumps to 64.6 per cent since 2013 when the Tigers took major steps toward emerging as a force.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/afl/edwards-astbury-set-to-return-as-hardwick-joins-coaching-royalty-20200917-p55wex.html

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 04:59:12 PM »
What a champion bloke and mastermind he has been to be able to admit his shortcomings and then slowly develop an on field powerhouse.
Granted we have some star players but which other club is able to win football games when only one or no midfielder has more than 20 possessions? I reckon we are the only club that does this consistently.

I can only remember the days when if we had Cotchin and Deledio well held we would cave in like the Melbourne footy club.  :rollin

Now it doesn’t matter who plays really. Cotchin can have 12 possessions and spend extended minutes on the bench. Graham continues to show his worth with his pressure around the packs and gut running. Bolton was given extended time to improve in the middle and now Ross is showing his worth now that Prestia isn’t available.

The days we used to make good young players worse players when they left us are long gone and now we have only the wonder of seeing young men groomed to be awesome role players in our beloved system.
Players such as RCD haven’t been given opportunities yet we know that if they are good enough and patient it will make them better players in the long run.

I have complete faith in Hardwick to bring us success for many more years because no one has worked out how to beat it.
I personally reckon the only way to beat us is to play our game better than we do which would be a fair effort if any club could achieve it.

The club that keeps giving.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 05:30:33 PM »
The dogs bark the camel train moves on, he had  a plan and kept to it, thank goodness

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 07:58:58 PM »
I always thought it was "the dogs can bark but the caravan moves on". I think its a saying about gypsies lol.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 11:33:18 PM »
The dogs bark the camel train moves on, he had  a plan and kept to it, thank goodness

Deep. I love it.

I love it deep too

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 05:09:21 AM »
Last 4 years under Dimma:

68 wins
22 losses
1 draw
75.3% winning record.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/coaches/Damien_Hardwick.html

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 05:14:14 AM »
Good on you Dimma. Congratulations.

I was calling for his head early on as well.

While we are all praising him, his turn around came after his semester at Harvard IIRC.

I wonder who put him into that? Most likely Peggy.
Who would have head hunted Balmey to create stability and steer the draft selection process?
Most likely Peggy/Gale.
While Dimma has done a sensational job, the infrastructure behind him has been magnificent.

248 games as a stat is incredible.

What would the stat be for longest serving President/CEO combo?

Brains trust ?