Author Topic: Changes for the QF?  (Read 7037 times)

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Changes for the QF?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2020, 06:15:08 PM »
Good luck to them Andrews was graded on the worse of hammy bettervforvus they pick him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2020, 03:41:49 PM »
RICHMOND

The selection heat is on at the Tigers, with several key inclusions looming for the qualifying final against Brisbane.

Richmond will give Tom Lynch every chance to be declared fit from his Round 17 hamstring injury.

Dion Prestia is pushing to return from a Round 5 syndesmosis injury, with coach Damien Hardwick declaring: “He makes us better by being out there. If he’s putting his hand up to play, I’m picking him”.

The Tigers are not concerned about minor injuries suffered to Josh Caddy (knee) and Jake Aarts (shoulder) in the win over Adelaide.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/afl-injuries-who-will-play-whos-hurt-for-2020-finals-series-ng-de568aa650ccf093cd39c0d4e2d8a688

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2020, 04:40:02 PM »
Assuming all of lynch, Bolton and Prestia are fit, I think most would agree chol and Ross will make way for 2 of the spots. The last spot is the one where people seem to be the most divided but it’s got to come from one of these 7 players who have at one point or another lost their place in the side (other than castagna):

McIntosh
Pickett
Graham
Aarts
Rioli
Castagna
Caddy

Whoever goes out is going to be super unlucky. I would fairly confidently say the first 3 are safe and the last out will be one of the smalls or Caddy. If I had to guess I would say Caddy based on team balance.
Last year this would have been an easy decision as Caddy was playing wing. One of Pickett or McIntosh would've made way. However, Kmac and Pickett are now ahead of Caddy as wingmen. Caddy came in last week as a marking forward with Lynch out. The issue for Dimma is he loves Caddy being in the side but there isn't a place for him unless he either replaces a small forward (Aarts or George) or replaces Pickett on a wing. Both are unlikely as Caddy is too slow in 2020 for either position.

Ross -> Prestia …. inside mid for an inside mid.
Caddy -> Lynch …. 'marking forward' for a marking forward.
Chol -> Bolton …. 2nd ruck who didn't do anything with another mid. A risk not having a 2nd ruck though.

The only alternative is to force a mid like Bolts or Lambert out to a wing to replace Pickett and then include a Broad or Caddy as the "2nd ruck".

Ross -> Prestia .… inside mid for an inside mid.
Caddy -> Lynch …. 'marking' forward for a marking forward.
Pickett -> Bolton … wing for a 'wing'.
Chol -> Broad* (or Caddy stays in instead). …. 2nd ruck who didn't do anything for a token 2nd 'ruck' which may or may not work either.

* If it's Broad and we are getting smashed in clearances when he is rucking then use Balta as 2nd ruck and push Broad into defence. So Broad may give us more flexibility as a 2nd ruck over Caddy.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2020, 07:35:24 PM »
Despite his clear lack of speed, when asked to reinvent himself Caddy did more than prove himself on a wing just before and during the finals last season. His lack of speed wasn’t a worry at all. Not only did he fill the role adequately he also kicks goals.

Personally I think he adds more value than Pickett on a wing.

The beauty with Caddy is that Hardwick can pretty much ask him to play anywhere if needed.

Unfortunately, given the opportunity against Adelaide, I don’t think Caddy did provide the necessary pressure nor did he tackle enough to keep his spot in the team. Time will tell but I think Caddy is the type of player that has shown his worth in finals.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline TigerRocket

• Future Richmond star
  • Tigers 4 Ever
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2020, 09:43:22 PM »
Brisbane now has two very capable rucks so dropping Chol may not be a good idea. Obviously Lynch and Bolton in for Caddy and Ross. If Prestia is good then Aarts would be the one to go. Both Aarts and Caddy were injured so 100% fit players critical. Brisbane midfield is good so the strength of our existing mids plus Prestia and Bolton addresses that strength plus more. Remember they really struggle for a matchup on Dusty up forward so the extra mids become critical as he will play more forward and well and truely replace Aarts.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2020, 01:12:52 AM »
Despite his clear lack of speed, when asked to reinvent himself Caddy did more than prove himself on a wing just before and during the finals last season. His lack of speed wasn’t a worry at all. Not only did he fill the role adequately he also kicks goals.

Personally I think he adds more value than Pickett on a wing.

The beauty with Caddy is that Hardwick can pretty much ask him to play anywhere if needed.

Unfortunately, given the opportunity against Adelaide, I don’t think Caddy did provide the necessary pressure nor did he tackle enough to keep his spot in the team. Time will tell but I think Caddy is the type of player that has shown his worth in finals.

I agree and I would want Caddy in the team but I highly doubt Pickett or Kamdyn get dropped considering the form they’ve been in the last 6 weeks. That only leaves one of the smalls you could get dropped in his place but would we lose our forward structure by only having 2 of Rioli, Castagna and aarts? Or could they be replaced by Edwards/Bolton while they rest forward after spells through the middle. Glad I’m not the one making the decision.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2020, 11:00:02 AM »
Brisbane now has two very capable rucks so dropping Chol may not be a good idea. Obviously Lynch and Bolton in for Caddy and Ross. If Prestia is good then Aarts would be the one to go. Both Aarts and Caddy were injured so 100% fit players critical. Brisbane midfield is good so the strength of our existing mids plus Prestia and Bolton addresses that strength plus more. Remember they really struggle for a matchup on Dusty up forward so the extra mids become critical as he will play more forward and well and truely replace Aarts.

I think Nank has played on Martin before and did well in the ruck.they have another kid who pushes forward to .

Offline sabartooth

• Big Griff's Official Mentor !
  • Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2020, 12:38:01 PM »
B: Balta, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Baker, Vlastuin, Short
C: Mc, Cotchin, Bolton
HF: Lambert, Jack, Rioli
F: Dusty, Lynch, Caddy

Foll: Nank, Edwards, Prestia
Int: Graham, Chol, Aarts, Pickett/Castagna
2 years into a 35 year plan

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2020, 02:42:04 PM »
The club's biggest selection headache ahead of the Lions clash is expected to centre on whether back-up ruckman Mabior Chol keeps his place with Lynch returning.

Source: AFL website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2020, 10:27:49 PM »
Since last year's finals series the Tigers' preferred structure has been to play four talls, and so you would think Mabior Chol survives, even if Lynch returns.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/supercoach-news/afl-ladder-live-2020-who-will-play-finals-as-we-head-into-the-last-round-of-the-year/news-story/81f40704a9e2ea7814e7807ff024d7b6

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2020, 06:23:16 PM »
Handy 'headache': top Tigers return for Hardwick

By Peter Ryan
The Age
September 27, 2020 — 4.24pm

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick faces a massive selection "headache" ahead of Friday night's qualifying final, says his spearhead Jack Riewoldt, with three premiership stars set to return from injury.

Riewoldt expressed confidence on Sunday that his partner-in-crime Tom Lynch will recover from a hamstring injury suffered against Geelong exactly 21 days before the qualifying final while last year's best and fairest Dion Prestia and emerging midfield weapon Shai Bolton are also in the frame.

Prestia has not played since suffering an ankle injury in round five but impressed in a solid hitout on Saturday that indicated his syndesmosis problem was behind him.

Bolton has been among the Tigers' best this season after replacing Prestia in the middle with his clearance work a key factor behind Richmond's improved form since arriving in Queensland. He was managed for the Adelaide match and is certain to return.

"One of the injuries we don't speak about is the headache 'Dimma' is going to have when it comes to selection," Riewoldt said.

"It's obviously a tough one for players who have to make way for those three."

Riewoldt said every day was important to Lynch's recovery but he was on track to take on All-Australian Lion Harris Andrews, who was also recovering from a hamstring injury of his own.

"He's trained strongly on Saturday [doing] some high-speed running," Riewoldt said.

"He's given himself every chance to play. He'll train with the group on Monday and build his case from there."

Lynch, who kicked three goals against the Brisbane Lions when they met in round two, would likely replace Mabior Chol, while the unlucky Jack Ross could make way for Prestia.

Josh Caddy could also be under pressure to hold his spot with Kamdyn McIntosh bouncing back well from the disappointment of missing last year's finals to play every game since round four.

Riewoldt was looking forward to getting Prestia back into the team.

"Dion is right to go ... he has put himself in a great position to play," Riewoldt said.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/afl/handy-headache-top-tigers-return-for-hardwick-20200927-p55zp2.html

Online FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2020, 11:47:25 AM »
I reckon if Lynch doesn't play, Miller does.

So out: Chol, Ross, Caddy/Pickett
In: Miller/Lynch, Prestia, Bolton.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2020, 01:38:09 PM »
CCJ!  What an idiotic thing you’ve chosen to do.  :rollin

Possibly could’ve been a finals revelation and new tiger star.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2020, 01:45:33 PM »
Kmac & Pickett are locks. So the changes will be at the expense of Chol, Caddy & Ross.

Dimma said if Lynch doesn't come up then at this stage Chol or Caddy are there to play that role.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2020, 01:58:30 PM »
I reckon if Lynch doesn't play, Miller does.

So out: Chol, Ross, Caddy/Pickett
In: Miller/Lynch, Prestia, Bolton.

Pickett is a starter for me.

Caddy if he's fit.

Chol and Ross out for Lunch and Prestia.

Bolton in for Castagna I would like to see.