Author Topic: Samson Ryan [merged]  (Read 59050 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Samson Ryan [merged]
« Reply #270 on: May 30, 2023, 02:43:07 PM »
Garry Lyon also seemed to get the idea from what Port are doing.

-------------------------------------------

“Port have no (Charlie) Dixon, no (Todd) Marshall, no (Mitch) Georgiades,” Lyon said.

“So you know what you do? You put a kid like Ollie Lord in there and say: ‘Ollie … I don’t care what happens, you compete and don’t you ever get outmarked’.”

“This is the reason why Port Adelaide are the best in the comp at conceding intercept marks,” Brown added.

“The kid comes in and just competes and competes and competes. His number aren’t sexy, but they would love him because he doesn’t allow intercept marks.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/it-is-a-disgrace-great-unloads-amid-badly-neglected-afl-area-and-shock-record-changing-footy/news-story/661fb23059901a0307e219aad5615e5b

Agreed.

Forwards injured? Play a kid and tell them to step up, have a crack.

Not at Tigerland though, nope, we just get our old legends beat up and outnumbered.
Yep even dimwit Lyon can see it. The entire rfc footy dept has missed this trick for how many years now.But don't dare criticise them for it.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2023, 02:59:47 PM »
Maybe im missing it but i dont get the angst with Nankervis.Everyone loved him when we were winning games and now lose games and he is blamed when his game has hardly changed since he arrived.

Samson well clearly undersized and under strength but doing okay.They need to lock him in a room with a beef carcass and some weights.

Just on P/A yep they have Dixon, Georgiades, Marshall and still saw fit to draft but still saw fit to trade in Finlayson and draft Lord and Scully
Compare that to how we have gone about it in recent years they at least wont die wondering.
Finlayson Scully and Goegiades are all players i hoped we would have a go at but with JR and TL there they have just ignored the whole area and boy has it become dire now.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2023, 04:09:56 PM »
Maybe im missing it but i dont get the angst with Nankervis.Everyone loved him when we were winning games and now lose games and he is blamed when his game has hardly changed since he arrived.

Samson well clearly undersized and under strength but doing okay.They need to lock him in a room with a beef carcass and some weights.

Just on P/A yep they have Dixon, Georgiades, Marshall and still saw fit to draft but still saw fit to trade in Finlayson and draft Lord and Scully
Compare that to how we have gone about it in recent years they at least wont die wondering.
Finlayson Scully and Goegiades are all players i hoped we would have a go at but with JR and TL there they have just ignored the whole area and boy has it become dire now.

Probably the fact we aren’t dominating and he is captain we expect him to not give away the amount of free kicks he does. Also he used to be super dependable in taking contested marks at really critical parts of the game. That part seems to have abandoned him

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2023, 08:53:44 PM »

The Power handed over a future third-round pick to get the key forward who kicked 44 goals in the Giants' Grand Final campaign in 2019.

too expensive claw.  :lol

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2023, 09:13:54 PM »

The Power handed over a future third-round pick to get the key forward who kicked 44 goals in the Giants' Grand Final campaign in 2019.

too expensive claw.  :lol

They paid FA for Aliir too.

Bargain trades.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #275 on: May 31, 2023, 09:41:03 AM »
Why we didn’t make a play for Allir when he was obviously available is confusing.

In hindsight, Blair has missed some very cheap opportunities in recent seasons.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #276 on: May 31, 2023, 09:47:12 AM »
Why we didn’t make a play for Allir when he was obviously available is confusing.

Maybe because Port offered him 4 years on decent coin.

How do we know we didn't try and he knocked us back? Or that's right because they media report it ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #277 on: May 31, 2023, 09:47:29 AM »

Traded for a future 2nd in a year that Port finished top 4 so you would think you're looking at pick 30-40.

Aged 26, same size as Rance 194/96 so plenty of years left and really in his prime.

With Astbury retiring I'm shocked we didn't have a go.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #278 on: May 31, 2023, 09:48:31 AM »

Maybe because Port offered him 4 years on decent coin.

How do we know we didn't try and he knocked us back? Or that's right because they media report it ::)

Coming off back to back flags you would think he's be interested in us as well if we had interest of our own.

The complete lack of coverage I think means we weren't sufficiently interested.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #279 on: May 31, 2023, 10:13:57 AM »
Speaking to some diehard Sydney fan mates, they said talent undeniable but had major attitude problems with work ethic at training etc. playing devils advocate maybe it was deemed too risky? Seems to have turned it around which is awesome for him.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #280 on: May 31, 2023, 10:54:47 AM »
Speaking to some diehard Sydney fan mates, they said talent undeniable but had major attitude problems with work ethic at training etc. playing devils advocate maybe it was deemed too risky? Seems to have turned it around which is awesome for him.

Always looked like a Rance physique IMO.

Oh well it's too late now anyway. Always bargain trades and picks to be made here and there.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #281 on: May 31, 2023, 12:21:42 PM »
Allir moved for more opportunity in defence. Don’t think he would have seen that with astbury, grimes, balta, broad and to a lesser extent vlas all on our list.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #282 on: May 31, 2023, 12:23:57 PM »

Traded for a future 2nd in a year that Port finished top 4 so you would think you're looking at pick 30-40.

Aged 26, same size as Rance 194/96 so plenty of years left and really in his prime.

Astbury retired at the the end of 2021. Our list wouldn’t have looked appealing at all for someone looking for more opportunities. Being b2b premiers wouldn’t mean a thing in this case.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #283 on: May 31, 2023, 01:45:51 PM »

Astbury retired at the the end of 2021. Our list wouldn’t have looked appealing at all for someone looking for more opportunities. Being b2b premiers wouldn’t mean a thing in this case.

Yes but I reckon we knew Astbury was in the twilight. Aliir would have been a good player to get on board knowing he was finishing. Was never a greatly gifted athlete or player but did a serviceable job in our system, surrounded by very talented guys like Rance, Grimes and Floss.

Broadsword

« Reply #284 on: May 31, 2023, 04:45:38 PM »
I think we can all agree that one attribute the next recruiter simply must have is 20/20 hindsight.