Author Topic: Rhyan Mansell [merged]  (Read 45295 times)

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Richmond's appeal fails. Mansell's 3 match ban stands [update]
« Reply #360 on: June 20, 2023, 07:22:52 PM »
The term “woke” is getting tossed around a lot lately.

I notice that it’s particularly popular with blokes with cars as fb profile pics who use it quite broadly to describe anything they don’t like.

The ‘culture war’ debates are so asinine and redundant it’s amazing that people get caught up in it.

Partisan outrage contests on both sides that changes no ones opinion and solves absolutely nothing.
Agreed, but there is undoubtedly a new puritanism asserting itself: A new age of insufferable protestants obsessed with salvation who can't just mind their own thoughts and words -- they have to regulate everyone else's thoughts and words as well. At least with the Catholics -- they have their own problems -- but at least they know they can uphold the ritual once a week and get back to afternoon siestas Monday to Saturday. Give me southern Europe any day. Way too much missionary energy in the society these days from people who think they're irreligious but are painful religious cliches. It's been done before: It was called the 17th Century.

Also, 3 weeks -- what a joke!

I don’t disagree with the ideological Puritanism stuff.

Not everyone on the left is into cancel culture though.

I guess like not everyone on the right is a raging xenophobe.

Anyway, go Tiges am I right?!

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #361 on: June 20, 2023, 07:31:17 PM »
Yep, that’s why they call it extremism😁 , straight down the guts with a little to the left or right scores the most goals

Broadsword

« Reply #362 on: June 20, 2023, 07:59:05 PM »

I notice that it’s particularly popular with blokes with cars as fb profile pics who use it quite broadly to describe anything they don’t like.

The ‘culture war’ debates are so asinine and redundant it’s amazing that people get caught up in it.

Partisan outrage contests on both sides that changes no ones opinion and solves absolutely nothing.
Agreed, but there is undoubtedly a new puritanism asserting itself: A new age of insufferable protestants obsessed with salvation who can't just mind their own thoughts and words -- they have to regulate everyone else's thoughts and words as well. At least with the Catholics -- they have their own problems -- but at least they know they can uphold the ritual once a week and get back to afternoon siestas Monday to Saturday. Give me southern Europe any day. Way too much missionary energy in the society these days from people who think they're irreligious but are painful religious cliches. It's been done before: It was called the 17th Century.

I don’t disagree with the ideological Puritanism stuff.

Not everyone on the left is into cancel culture though.

I guess like not everyone on the right is a raging xenophobe.

Anyway, go Tiges am I right?!
It's all quite interesting seeing the same patterns come and go -- until they reach your front door anyway. Personally, I don't get too worked up about it.

The aspect I find most interesting at the moment is that the puritanical cast of mind is nowadays divorced from religion in peoples' minds but is nothing but religious residue, so if you ask people why they are behaving like all sorts of zealots from the past they will come up with all sorts of cunning rationalisations for their behaviour (as we all do), when they're simply behaving unconsciously like their forebears and deeming themselves secular and fresh.

Add to that a sort of Orwellian Newspeak that's doing the rounds at the moment -- case in point, the modern term 'equity'. Equity is simply the return of 'equality of outcome' marketed under a new name. The debate over equality of outcome was closed long ago: Most people could see the appeal of equality of opportunity, but almost everyone came to see that equality of outcome was at best unrealizable and at worst necessarily (and demonstrably) totalitarian and undesirable. Fast forward half a century and it's back, but sneakily. And it's not a substantial idea either: The way it's taught in schools and universities is with memes and pictures of different sized children standing on different sized boxes according to their height. Lesson there: If you can't win a mature debate with substantial ideas, wait a while and contest an infantile debate with non-ideas and symbolism. (George Carlin: "I leave symbols for the symbol-minded.")

Which is more infuriating -- hard left or hard right? Hard to say. Probably hard right - they always seem unapologetically sadistic and brainless. Either way, chuck 'em all on a spaceship together so the rest of us can get on with our lives.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #363 on: June 20, 2023, 08:27:49 PM »

give me the italian PM any day over the stuffwits we have running the show here.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #364 on: June 30, 2023, 11:09:28 PM »
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1674720542891606019

So MRO/Tribunal are you going to suspend Duncan for protecting himself and not slowing down "slightly" and tackling Blakey in 0.2 seconds?  ::)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #365 on: July 01, 2023, 05:19:40 AM »
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1674720542891606019

So MRO/Tribunal are you going to suspend Duncan for protecting himself and not slowing down "slightly" and tackling Blakey in 0.2 seconds?  ::)
Crazy talk, it’s Geelong so it’s just an accident, move on. 😥😥😥

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #366 on: July 01, 2023, 10:42:57 PM »
Crazy talk, it’s Geelong so it’s just an accident, move on. 😥😥😥
Yep, wear the hoops it seems and it's no case to answer.

--------------------------

Francis’ head hit the turf and he took some time to get to his feet, but played out the match.

The AFL confirmed Match Review Officer Michael Christian had assessed the incident but determined premiership forward Close had no case to answer.

"Francis gains possession of the ball with momentum in the Sydney Swans' back pocket and is tackled by Close," the AFL said in a statement.

"It was the view of the MRO that despite having Francis in a vulnerable position, Close attempted to slow momentum in taking him to ground and that in the circumstances he was not careless in tackling in that manner.

"No further action was taken."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/959783/match-review-cats-forward-learns-fate-for-francis-tackle

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Rhyan Mansell [merged]
« Reply #367 on: July 16, 2023, 01:06:30 AM »
Steve Morris said we are getting Mansell to play wing at VFL level as that is where he is likely to play if/when he gets back into our AFL side.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #368 on: July 16, 2023, 01:14:00 AM »
Steve Morris said we are getting Mansell to play wing at VFL level as that is where he is likely to play if/when he gets back into our AFL side.

Interesting

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #369 on: July 16, 2023, 02:53:55 AM »
I think he will thrive as a winger

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #370 on: July 16, 2023, 09:51:39 AM »
He was saying wing could be a role for him in the AFL if required. Multi position players add value. I know he has his defectors; however, to perform and be BOG after a 4 week break speaks volumes for his professionalism. He plays with high intensity and is the ultimate team first player. Definitely above VFL level :shh

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #371 on: July 16, 2023, 10:32:34 AM »
He is not a big goal kicker and has been playing the very important  unappreciated team role but there is no knock on his effort and attack on the ball / man.
He is a natural defender in my opinion
Just goes to show that our recruiting of small / medium defenders is in excess and we are trying to find other position around the ground that may or may not work

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #372 on: July 16, 2023, 10:49:28 AM »
Pickett, McIntosh now Mansell...it appears foot skills are not a priority for the wing position these days... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #373 on: July 16, 2023, 02:06:54 PM »
And yet Mcintosh kicks goals more often than not when given the chance.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #374 on: July 16, 2023, 02:54:54 PM »
Yeah he's kicked a grand total of two for the year and never more than nine in a season...... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.