Author Topic: Now we're out, who would & wouldn't you like to see win the flag?  (Read 29810 times)

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Re: Now we're out, who would & wouldn't you like to see win the flag?
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2021, 12:06:12 PM »
What are the heroes on cats bigfooty page saying now?  :rollin
Enjoy TK  ;D.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/geelong-loses-to-pa-in-qf2-by-about-6-goals.1283434/

Quote from: Baudilino
Let's break out the "Geelong in finals" bingo card:

Inexplicable skill errors: TICK
Choking our shots in front of goal: TICK
Lack of intensity: TICK
Failure to capitalise on any period of dominance: TICK
Leaders failing to rise to the occasion: TICK
Bizarrely playing to opposition strengths: TICK
Pathetically weak tackling: TICK
Going in to the game missing a key player due to injury or suspension: TICK
Another key player carrying an injury that limits their ability to perform at their usual level: TICK
Scott making a positional move that hasn't been seen all season: TICK

Bingo :(

Quote from: catstorm
It’s just ******* stupid, Scott can not remain as the Geelong coach. It’s the same thing every ******* year. I don’t give a sh*t about H and A record, it doesn’t matter if you lose every year when it actually matters.

Quote from: giggler99
Out of all these finals losses over the last 10 years this is the most deflating! The realisation this team is done! ain't winning sh*t with Scott at the helm, he is done as our coach! Time to move on Geelong!

Quote from: OddYears
After 10 years of this sh*t it’s deflating to say the least. honestly now at the point where I’d rather we miss the finals than have to sit through this pitiful rubbish. Sorta stuff that makes you want to throw out the membership. So over hearing the ‘but we give ourselves a chance every year’. No we don’t

Quote from: Jensen
Another finals failure but who really cares. The important thing is which 30 year old can the club get during trade period to sell more memberships and seats that we may or may not even be able to use.

Quote from: gogeelongcats
We need to make changes now. I started typing this at quarter time. Could have used the same thing for the last 10 years or so.

GAME PLAN

* This starts with our silly game plan which is slow, boring, predictable, sideways and backward disposals. Does not stand up and is typically pathetic in the finals. Beats weak sides during the year, gets into the finals and then we get pumped. I remember Cook, who is very astute saying that the most important thing is that we make the finals every year. I beg to differ that perhaps it is best to build a team capable of winning premierships. Straight sets is becoming the norm.
* 3 goals in 3 quarters. What chance have you got.
* Chipping the ball, unable to handle pressure and composure as we are not skilled enough. The game plan is flawed in a pressure situation. It is clear to everybody except our coach. We are becoming a laughing stock of the league.
* Incredible frustration and boring game plan
* Above the shoulders is a problem. Playing our younger inexperienced players would not help but they have to be given game time while we are in transition.
* We choke in front of goal. Miss the shots we should get
* If Scott does not change this game plan show him the door. I do not care how many games he has won or how man excuses he has. HE HAS BEEN THERE TOO LONG.

LIST CHANGES

* Too old, too slow, too unskilled, too soft, too mentally fragile
* Reality is we need a fresh approach as there is lack of trust in this set-up
* Drop the players that let us down in the finals every time
* Wholesale list changes are required. Drop Rohan (disappears in big games), Dahl (cannot kick longer than 30 metres, 3-4 disposals per game), Henderson (slow and error ridden), Dangerfield (big game looser), Kolo (cannot keep his feet and to slow), Rohan (where are you?)

UPSIDE

* Close, Henry,

FUTURE

* Rebuild the side. Must rejuvenate the side as the players will have are on a downward spiral and will NOT win a premiership.
* Coach changes needed to introduce a game style that wins premierships
* Leadership changes.
* Call Clarko now.
* Play the younger players. Give them a go.
* Need key pack marking forward, outside run midfielder, inside monster midfielder, key backman…. Too many holes.

Gold

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/geelong-loses-to-pa-in-qf2-by-about-6-goals.1283434/page-31

The vision of Higgins warming up on the boundary line was pretty funny. It was the closest he got to a contest all night, and we got to hear Brayshaw tell us he won a Best and Fairest at North. That's like being the most courageous French soldier of May 1940 - not exactly massive standards to meet.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2021, 06:02:02 PM »
Giants through by a point over the Swans. So we need them now to beat Geelong to give us a higher draft pick  :pray.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2021, 06:25:10 PM »
Giants through by a point over the Swans. So we need them now to beat Geelong to give us a higher draft pick  :pray.

Not sure they can do it without Toby Greene after another massive brain fade. Will cop multiple weeks I’d suspect.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2021, 07:02:16 PM »
We needed Sydney to get up. Kennedy and Mills back next week with momentum and they would have rolled Geesook.  A tired looking GWS without Greene, Cummings and Green not going to trouble them unfortunately

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2021, 07:34:06 PM »
GWS a better chance to outmuscle Geelong like Port did....Sydney are skillful but soft..stands out like dog's bollocks when Kennedy's not there... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2021, 07:51:28 PM »
GWS beat Cats only a few weeks ago. Have huge ins since then.

Would be faves IMO.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2021, 07:54:20 PM »
Why do you hate the stand rule fluffy. It just takes one defender out of the play and opens up the narrow angles for the kicker. What's not to like?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2021, 09:48:29 PM »
Why do you hate the stand rule fluffy. It just takes one defender out of the play and opens up the narrow angles for the kicker. What's not to like?
Well firstly it was brought in by SHocking just to screw us and benefit his slow Cats without any trialing or testing. Of course, Geelong got notice of the changes before everyone else too. Do you think that's fair?

Secondly, SHocking tried to claim it would increase scoring and bring back the 100-goal-a-season forward. Instead, all it has done is seen the lowest scoring season and lowest Coleman medal winning tally since the 1960s. Teams are just flooding back to defend so the game is just bruise free footy bouncing between the arcs. All we get now is just chip chip chip to HF then a long bomb inside a crowded F50 where most of the time there is no scoring.

What made Aussies Rules great and interesting to watch was there was many different ways to win and it was a game that didn't restrict where players could move on the ground. Different sides had different systems competing against each other. Our 2017 flag with one tall and the rest smalls built on pressure and gang tackling being the perfect example. It's tragic to see our once great side by force being reduced  to playing that chip chip keepings off crap because that's what all teams need to do now to counter the flooding.   

For 160 years the game was built on pressure and that SHocking idiot has destroyed that just out of jealously of us >:(. Some of us don't want to watch 18-a-side AFLX with flooding ::). The game is only interesting now if by chance the scores are still close with 5-10 minutes to go. Well, I want 4 quarters of entertaining pressure & contested footy; not watch the equivalent of someone counting down from a 1000  :sleep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2021, 09:52:30 PM »
I see "the barometer" Mathieson has done another high cheap shot off the ball. The same hack who whacked Short in the head and the MRO didn't even look at it (in the same game Pickett was suspended).

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2021, 10:14:35 PM »
So much for Mathieson being the "barometer"  :wallywink.

Probably stating the obvious but it's hard not seeing the GF being Dees vs Port.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2021, 12:18:24 AM »
So much for Mathieson being the "barometer"  :wallywink.

Probably stating the obvious but it's hard not seeing the GF being Dees vs Port.
I thought Mathieson was the perfect barometer on the night - he got shown up & so did his team!     :snidegrin
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2021, 01:19:19 AM »
I hate the stand rule as much as the next guy but I’ve never understood why people think it advantages ‘kick-mark’ sides? Isn’t the whole benefit that it allows the player in possession to run around the player on the mark a lot easier? So by that logic it advantages teams that play on from frees/marks more rather than those that chip the ball around and maintain possession?

I personally hate it because it just doesn’t make any sense. Why do you have to stand in one spot? Why can’t you jump around? Why can a player run off their ‘line’ and it not be called play on straight away?

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2021, 06:56:54 AM »
I think the Dees or the Power are best placed to win it.

Agree  :shh
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2021, 08:46:13 AM »

The main reasons I hate it is the watching a guy have to stand there while somebody runs around him. It's nothing like the rest of the game where anybody can come from everywhere. The optics and the hearing the umpire call "STAND" every few seconds make me cringe. Umpires are also so inconsistent in the play on call, some calls are when the player is going back to take his kick and other times the player is almost past the mark before the call it. You can see the frustration and the confusion on the players on the mark having to stand there while their oppentent runs away. The game didn't need this rule full stop so why introduce it and why keep it.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2021, 09:57:15 AM »
This is what happens when TV broadcasters start running the game. It’s less about the contest and more about the idea of a shootout. Things are out of alignment here. The AFL should work for the clubs  and not the other way round.