Author Topic: Brownlow 2021 thread  (Read 3389 times)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Brownlow 2021 thread
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2021, 03:26:19 PM »
Is it just me or is it ridiculous that Walsh got 30 votes? Sure he’s a jet. But Ablett only got 30 votes in his second Brownlow year where he absolutely dominated.

You can’t tell me Walsh had the same sort of year as ablett.

The same can be said for Dusty’s 36 vote 2017 compared to wines

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2021, 03:41:17 PM »
It's the way the game is covered these days and the self-perpetuating echo chamber it exists in...all the more reason to institute awards for each line....:shh

You’d still get complaints as the definition of who plays in what line gets blurred i.e. your mid/fwd dusty types winning the forwards awards and your mid/half back flanker laird types winning it for defenders.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2021, 03:43:02 PM »
Is it just me or is it ridiculous that Walsh got 30 votes? Sure he’s a jet. But Ablett only got 30 votes in his second Brownlow year where he absolutely dominated.

You can’t tell me Walsh had the same sort of year as ablett.

The same can be said for Dusty’s 36 vote 2017 compared to wines

Yup the allocation of votes to individual players had ballooned. Seems some get votes based somewhat on name value these days. I remember when the winner of the Brownlow would have high teens to low 20s total votes. It used to lead to a lot more close and exciting counts.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2021, 05:06:28 PM »
If only there was a 45mtr square painted around Jack Reiwoldt ... he could win a Coleman & a Brownlow too!      :pray
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!