Author Topic: Can Richmond challenge again in 2022? [merged]  (Read 44670 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Can Richmond challenge again in 2022? [merged]
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2022, 10:04:03 AM »
Carlton we were up by like 4 goals midwayish through the 4th quarter.

Saints we were up at 3 qtr time.

Pretty much 1 garbage quarter cost us in both those matches.

Yep and I think it's the youth + hunger that makes them overrun us.

This is why we need kids in the team that haven't tasted the ultimate success and are desperate to keep their spots. Gibcus, Ralph, Juddy etc

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dal Santo not optimistic on another Tigers premiership push (SEN)
« Reply #181 on: June 12, 2022, 04:38:54 AM »
“I CAN’T SEE IT”: DAL SANTO NOT OPTIMISTIC ON ANOTHER TIGERS PREMIERSHIP PUSH

By Ethan Clark
SEN
11 June 2022

Former St Kilda midfielder Nick Dal Santo is not convinced that Richmond will make a notable impact in the back end of the season, despite a 5-1 run in their last six outings.

The Tigers currently sit eighth on the AFL ladder with a 7-5 record but face a challenging upcoming fortnight against Carlton and Geelong.

Speaking on SEN’s Crunch Time Dal Santo specified what part of the yellow and black he feels is different from their recent premiership years.

“I’ve heard some commentary this week about the Tiges (and how they are) about to launch and it's only up from here, but I can’t see it,” he said.

“Take away the numbers for a split second, my eye doesn’t have the same feel and visual that it had.

“I think they’ve lost their punch.”

The 322-gamer says the killer instinct of Damien Hardwick’s men seems to have faded due to the ageing list that still remains as the core of the group.

“They kicked five goals in the first quarter and life’s pretty and they’ve got Port Adelaide exactly where they want them (on Thursday night). Then the next hour you sort of go, 'well, nothing really happened there', they didn’t even put on a couple of goals just to keep the scoreboard ticking over,” Dal Santo explained.

“They’re not what they once were, that’s not a knock on them it's just a reality of guys getting older, and your best is somewhere behind you.

“It's going to be hard; nothing is easy anymore for Richmond and that’s just a reality of the game.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/06/11/i-cant-see-it-dal-santo-not-optimistic-on-another-tigers-premiership-push/

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #182 on: June 12, 2022, 09:00:35 AM »
Probably not far from the truth is this.

If it doesn’t pan out the way we like we will know why.

I lay the blame squarely at the list managers for stuffing this up last year. Fancy not recruiting anyone to help Dusty after his injury or an ageing cotch.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline skiddymcghee

• Future Richmond star
  • "Be the Ball
« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2022, 10:07:50 AM »
Well, in all fairness, RCD and Ross where meant to be those players, but they really haven't come on..... :o

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2022, 12:35:37 PM »
RCD hasn’t been given a decent crack at it.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2022, 01:14:02 PM »

Agree. The chatter I hear of well they haven’t performed at vfl so they don’t deserve a crack is laughable. We have seen many players not even perform at senior level yet still get gifted games so what’s the difference.

Give him a good block like Ross or aarts has been given and then we can decide.

Well, in all fairness, RCD and Ross where meant to be those players, but they really haven't come on..... :o

That’s another point. Whoever thought Ross would be that guy, vrs one of the mids who were selected and who performed most weeks at vfl level last year have completely stuffed up.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2022, 01:39:05 PM »

I'd like to see him play out the rest of the year so we can decide on him.

Hanging on to guys like Edwards and Lambert, who I acknowledge can still contribute sometimes, has potentially hurt our development.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2022, 05:26:11 PM »

Hanging on to guys like Edwards and Lambert, who I acknowledge can still contribute sometimes, has potentially hurt our development.

So how do you all explain that Lambert can go into the VFL for some hits and giggles for some match fitness and racks up possessions without getting out of second gear and as bad as Ross is, the VFL makes him look like he’s Lachie Neil  :rollin

And then we have guys like RCD, Stack, Mansell and Martyn that can’t get the ball more than 15 times a game on a consistent level.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2022, 05:55:37 PM »
Even Ben Miller is getting it 20 times a game and hes a key defender.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2022, 08:00:51 PM »

Geez we are a blinkered lot. They carlton  held us goaless in the second and we managed just one in the last. 31 shots to 21 suggests it was a bigger loss than it was. Being absolutely smashed in areas we struggle in did not help.They are areas we just don't have coming thru to change it too much.

Everyone would agree Dow Ross RC-D and Martyn were supposed to be taking over that is the only way you can analyse why we have ignored big mids and mids in general.Trouble is no one will acknowledge at just how few have come thru in over ten years despite being successful.

The Saints game well Contested ball and clearances raised their ugly head again. We may well have hung in there but the game was only going one way.
 all i hear is excuses about how we were still in the game late. No mention that we did well to  still be there and were literally being belted in areas. 

Funny no one mentions the WB game we won that one by a margin in the end  but sheesh at the same time the better team lost and it could have been ugly. in the end they wasted so many opportunities it killed em off.

Its hard to have a decent conversation when we become so blinkered. To most tiger supporters all opposition is poo and we are just better no matter how bad we perform.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2022, 09:21:00 PM »

Geez we are a blinkered lot. They carlton  held us goaless in the second and we managed just one in the last. 31 shots to 21 suggests it was a bigger loss than it was. Being absolutely smashed in areas we struggle in did not help.They are areas we just don't have coming thru to change it too much.

Everyone would agree Dow Ross RC-D and Martyn were supposed to be taking over that is the only way you can analyse why we have ignored big mids and mids in general.Trouble is no one will acknowledge at just how few have come thru in over ten years despite being successful.

The Saints game well Contested ball and clearances raised their ugly head again. We may well have hung in there but the game was only going one way.
 all i hear is excuses about how we were still in the game late. No mention that we did well to  still be there and were literally being belted in areas. 

Funny no one mentions the WB game we won that one by a margin in the end  but sheesh at the same time the better team lost and it could have been ugly. in the end they wasted so many opportunities it killed em off.

Its hard to have a decent conversation when we become so blinkered. To most tiger supporters all opposition is poo and we are just better no matter how bad we perform.

Mate we could dominate every single statistic and win comfortably and you’d still find something to downplay the result. Go have a look at our contested and clearance numbers in our premiership years. You do realise at 3 qtr time of the blues game we had the same scoring shots. It was an absolute crap final qtr that cost us that one.

Yeah thinking positively about your team as opposed to crapping on them at every single opportunity oh my what has the world come to.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #191 on: June 13, 2022, 07:47:45 AM »
David King on Fox Footy's 'First Crack' last night:

'Richmond is now racking up 80+ turnovers per game which is ridiculous (AFL average is 70). As 60% of scores come from turnovers, if Richmond keeps this up for the rest of the season then they'll win the flag'.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #192 on: June 13, 2022, 11:53:50 AM »

So how do you all explain that Lambert can go into the VFL for some hits and giggles for some match fitness and racks up possessions without getting out of second gear and as bad as Ross is, the VFL makes him look like he’s Lachie Neil  :rollin

And then we have guys like RCD, Stack, Mansell and Martyn that can’t get the ball more than 15 times a game on a consistent level.

Simple. He's probably more talented.

However he's not going to play for another 10 years, which is what we need to figure out about some other kids. In fact I don't think we'll get 10 games out of Lambert from here.

I don't think it's worth playing a more talented guy for 10 games than a kid who could go 10 years if he has what it takes at this stage for our club, who are likely entering a rebuild of sorts.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #193 on: June 13, 2022, 12:35:32 PM »

Mate we could dominate every single statistic and win comfortably and you’d still find something to downplay the result. Go have a look at our contested and clearance numbers in our premiership years. You do realise at 3 qtr time of the blues game we had the same scoring shots. It was an absolute crap final qtr that cost us that one.

Yeah thinking positively about your team as opposed to crapping on them at every single opportunity oh my what has the world come to.
Hmm i see we don't kick a goal in the second quarter and its not a bad quarter.
We lost because the better team won and they could well have won by more and probably should have. It was a game where one end was the scoring end and they flogged for two quarters and belted us in CLEARANCES 40-22 C/P 135- 114 WHICH RESULTED IN A WHOPPING 64 - 40 INSIDE FIFTIES.
And here you are trying to tell us we were unlucky. Take the Blinkers off and come back and see me.
You know if you weren't so invested you would be able to take the rose coloureds off and take a more even approach.

Offline skiddymcghee

• Future Richmond star
  • "Be the Ball
« Reply #194 on: June 13, 2022, 12:42:03 PM »
Contraversial...