Author Topic: Fitness / Conditioning / Luke Meehan appointed Physical Performance Manager [merged]  (Read 17276 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Fitness / Conditioning 2022
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2022, 10:26:38 AM »
I have all the full financial reports and there is no breakdown

My only comment

Difference from 2019 to 2020 and 2021 also include the pay cut the players took plus soft cap cuts of 3.5 million
Pretty hard to reach any definitive conclusions without an inside word, then, which I don't have.

So I revert to my original position: Happy to trust the club. This executive has delivered the goods.

Without definitive you can always work backwards based on certain assumptions

Eg assume paying total salary cap + total soft cap + what you know is excluded from the soft cap = see what's left $ wise and then look other things within football that we have eg the VFL program that don't fall under the soft cap

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Broadsword

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2022, 10:28:08 AM »
I have all the full financial reports and there is no breakdown

My only comment

Difference from 2019 to 2020 and 2021 also include the pay cut the players took plus soft cap cuts of 3.5 million
Pretty hard to reach any definitive conclusions without an inside word, then, which I don't have.

So I revert to my original position: Happy to trust the club. This executive has delivered the goods.

Without definitive you can always work backwards based on certain assumptions

Eg assume paying total salary cap + total soft cap + what you know is excluded from the soft cap = see what's left $ wise and then look other things within football that we have eg the VFL program that don't fall under the soft cap
And if you've done that, what conclusions did you reach?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2022, 01:22:34 PM »

I have a theory on a couple of things which I have no definitive proof on so will not post about it because I'm not prepared to be ridiculed and trolled about it.

All will say is based on what I've been told a number times at various functions and chats with the likes of Balmey around assistant coaches in particular I am in no doubt we are paying the entire soft cap.

Broadsword

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2022, 01:33:39 PM »

I have a theory on a couple of things which I have no definitive proof on so will not post about it because I'm not prepared to be ridiculed and trolled about it.

All will say is based on what I've been told a number times at various functions and chats with the likes of Balmey around assistant coaches in particular I am in no doubt we are paying the entire soft cap.
Fair enough. FWIW, if posters were to ridicule you, I would not be one of them. Thanks for the info.  :gotigers

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2022, 02:52:15 PM »

It's been my thoughts for a while to be honest  mentioned it before , but was shot down.I cannot understand how clubs not bigger then us or on the same level maintained there football department or upgraded etc while we cut all I hear covid issues etc.The club boast about 100k members etc simple when we invested in the footy department we seen the results no brainer.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2022, 03:24:06 PM »

It's been my thoughts for a while to be honest  mentioned it before , but was shot down.I cannot understand how clubs not bigger then us or on the same level maintained there football department or upgraded etc while we cut all I hear covid issues etc.The club boast about 100k members etc simple when we invested in the footy department we seen the results no brainer.

I'm not going to get into the debate again because I get howled down.

But to be clear ever Club not just us, ever Club made cuts. But as I've said many times we don't know where other clubs made their cuts. Everyone seems to focus on our assistants only and then compare to what others have or have not done in that area. I've said before unless we know where other Clubs cut you cannot compare

As far as I am aware no Club is paying over the cap this season. Next year will be different as Essendon have already said they will pay over as the Rutten payout plus wanting an experienced coach will take them over the cap. People have pointed to the Hawks this year paying out Clarko and not going over. But Mitchell was already on their books, yes pay increase but not that much. Did they add another assitant coach to replace Mitchell? If yes what type experienced or inexperienced... so many variables that we don't know.

Back on the actual topic of this thread. It will interesting to see which way we go here. How much money is allocated out of the cap in this area of the footy department? Do they try and get someone from a other Club? Do they offer more than what they were paying Burge? Do they look outside the AFL and look at other sports?

As I said this is the most important decision/appointment the Club will make this off season

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2022, 03:39:31 PM »

I'm not going to get into the debate again because I get howled down.

But to be clear ever Club not just us, ever Club made cuts. But as I've said many times we don't know where other clubs made their cuts. Everyone seems to focus on our assistants only and then compare to what others have or have not done in that area. I've said before unless we know where other Clubs cut you cannot compare

As far as I am aware no Club is paying over the cap this season. Next year will be different as Essendon have already said they will pay over as the Rutten payout plus wanting an experienced coach will take them over the cap. People have pointed to the Hawks this year paying out Clarko and not going over. But Mitchell was already on their books, yes pay increase but not that much. Did they add another assitant coach to replace Mitchell? If yes what type experienced or inexperienced... so many variables that we don't know.

Back on the actual topic of this thread. It will interesting to see which way we go here. How much money is allocated out of the cap in this area of the footy department? Do they try and get someone from a other Club? Do they offer more than what they were paying Burge? Do they look outside the AFL and look at other sports?

As I said this is the most important decision/appointment the Club will make this off season

You would think Burge informed them a while ago so they would have got the process underway me personally I would have tried to get Robbie Innes back from swans is he a a Victorian  ?.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2022, 05:24:49 PM »
I would love Rob Innes back at Tigerland but he may quite possibly be a career-based high performance trainer continually seeking new challenges and experiences. Going to Sydney and being their Head of Athletic Performance was a promotion in his field. It wouldn't surprise me after the Swans that he heads or is head hunted overseas to work for an EPL club or some NFL franchise. Similar to Darren Burgess who has worked with Liverpool and Arsenal before returning to Oz. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2022, 10:11:05 PM »
as WP or anyone else has not been able to tell us who replaced Inness the answer must surely be that noone did.

Here is a thought why dont we try and poach his brother, or dont we have enough money in the cap after replacing Rob with?

Even had some bloke called Matthew Carlon employed at the club until the end of 2021 in that same department.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2022, 07:36:03 PM »
Here we go again. The soft cap boogie man   :lightning :pullhair :lightning

Don’t skimp on development
Don’t skimp on high performance
Don’t skimp on recruiting / list building

Do that and it’s not a soft cap boogie man that’ll be haunting us but a cancerous tumour of mediocrity will infest and set us back 10 years and it takes another 10 years to rectify it. So there’s 20 years in crap going nowhere making up the numbers

You need talented people you get those people and make the adjustments in the whole organisation and pay the fine IF there is one.

It’s not 1990 and we aren’t tin rattling anymore.
We are a powerhouse football organisation with more paying members than North Melbourne, Footscray and Saints combined.

I’m sure there’s a lot of wasted money elsewhere that we can find, like on virtue signalling initiatives that do nothing for actual football performance that we can do away with.  :rollin

For instance, instead of wasting money on purchasing rainbow flags, socks and hats we could use that money to get the VFLW program going again considering we are the only club that uses an affiliate.
Then all the girls will have real support in a more professional environment.  :shh

The club that keeps giving.

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2022, 08:14:11 PM »
This is where covid killed us.  3 flags, massive membership numbers.  I'm sure our finances were bulging and we could have afforded extra coaches, fitness Staff etc. 

Covid clipped our wings and bought us well and truly back to the pack. 

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2022, 08:32:08 PM »
And the AFL dictatorship wasn’t happy to put the knife in.
It’s not the knife that kill us, it’s the rust

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2022, 06:14:25 PM »
One of the major issues we had this year was running out quarters/games and especially conceding red time goals. The Elim Final a perfect example. We coughed up 6 goals in total from the 28+ min mark to our one  :P. 2 goals in the first; One in the second; 2 in the third and of course the brainfade one in the last with a minute to go :facepalm.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2022, 10:51:02 PM »
Ross Lyon tonight on Footy Classified said that he knows someone who is going for our Fitness & Conditioning job and that it will be an internal appointment.

So who already at the Club is that? Who was 2IC to Burge?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2022, 11:50:17 PM »
here we go again. Inside job. That surely isnt true.

if it is we have lost inness, some other guy calron who werent replaced and now burge. 3 out and zero in.

Luke Meehan I believe was his right hand man. Been employed at our club for 10 years,
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.