Author Topic: 2023 - Best 22  (Read 15813 times)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: 2023 - Best 22
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2022, 02:39:33 PM »
I thought his form dropped off significantly after the bye. Seemed to tire and lose confidence and by the time the elimination final rolled around he was dropping uncontested marks, missing targets by hand and foot and coughing up the ball under pressure. It was his first year and so all of that can be expected and I’m confident we have a very good long term key position defender on our hands.

But in a thread titled ‘best 22 for 2023’ as in if every single player is fit for a one off must win game I have grimes, Tarrant, broad and balta ahead of him as key position defenders. That doesn’t mean he isn’t going to play any games as we all know it’s highly unlikely the 4 players I named manage to get through the season without an injury. Also who knows after another preseason, Gibcus could start the year in ripping form and go past the more senior players but for now based on last seasons form he’s behind them for me.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2022, 01:37:43 AM »
I thought his form dropped off significantly after the bye. Seemed to tire and lose confidence and by the time the elimination final rolled around he was dropping uncontested marks, missing targets by hand and foot and coughing up the ball under pressure. It was his first year and so all of that can be expected and I’m confident we have a very good long term key position defender on our hands.

But in a thread titled ‘best 22 for 2023’ as in if every single player is fit for a one off must win game I have grimes, Tarrant, broad and balta ahead of him as key position defenders. That doesn’t mean he isn’t going to play any games as we all know it’s highly unlikely the 4 players I named manage to get through the season without an injury. Also who knows after another preseason, Gibcus could start the year in ripping form and go past the more senior players but for now based on last seasons form he’s behind them for me.

Hmm he played 18 games id say he is currently on a pretty even level with all of them.

FFS WE HAD A SKINNY UNDERSIZED KID AND HE DROPPED OFF AT THE END OF THE SEASON. ffs what about the upside.

Grimes is copping injuries and is 31, Tarrant is 34 basically Balta had a very ordinary year as well and that makes a few in a row and as a backman he has hardly performed despite the angle most here come from.
Potentially the best kpd we have is Gibcus and we already have 18 games into him inone season its absolute folly imo to not be looking for improvementand a potential 22 games for the year.
At some stage we have to back in  the good kids we have over ageing declining players. It is totally crazy not to expect Gibcus to keep on improving.

Broadsword

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2022, 01:46:40 AM »
Literally no one said that he wouldn't continue to improve.

Wait, I can strengthen my point here.

FFS Literally no one said that he wouldn't continue to improve FFS.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2022, 08:49:04 AM »
Yeah, WTF are you talking about Claw? No one has said a word about Gibcus not improving...just that he will have to earn most of his games next year.

We are going for another premiership mate, we can mix going with our best line up with developing kids throughout the year.  What we can't afford to do is pick someone for a final who is horribly out of form like we did last season.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2022, 09:08:21 AM »
Read the title of the thread again Claw, it’s ‘best 22’. Not pick a team with the most upside. Gibcus will get plenty of games next season through injuries/rotations etc. But as I specifically said, going on most recent form for me (and seems many others) he is behind the other 4 key position defenders. If you think differently then fair enough.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2022, 09:10:03 AM »

You forget to add a few sheeshs in there.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2022, 12:08:34 PM »
I think it’s forgotten that he is 19 and didn’t get a pre season in. He was playing against hardened players and will only get better for this years run.  It will be hard to keep him out now of the side and he now knows what it’s all about

Broadsword

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2022, 02:44:48 PM »

You forget to add a few sheeshs in there.
:rollin :rollin

Online FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2022, 05:08:53 PM »
I'm with claw on this one. Gibcus plays round 1 IMO, especially if he's added a few kg in the gym. To me, Tarrant is the back-up if Gibcus or Balta get injured or aren't performing, not the other way around.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2022, 05:26:52 PM »
I'm with claw on this one. Gibcus plays round 1 IMO, especially if he's added a few kg in the gym. To me, Tarrant is the back-up if Gibcus or Balta get injured or aren't performing, not the other way around.

Yes and to your last point, Gibcus wasn’t performing at the end of last season which is why I have the other key position defenders ahead of him.

Online FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2022, 05:40:48 PM »
Sure, but I don't reckon you pick Round 1 based on last year. I reckon you pick Round 1 on preseason, and preseason form. Just my opinion.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2022, 06:05:15 PM »
Sure, but I don't reckon you pick Round 1 based on last year. I reckon you pick Round 1 on preseason, and preseason form. Just my opinion.

100% true but this thread is open now so all we have to go off by is last seasons form. Otherwise you could say similar about clarke, banks, brown, etc.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2022, 10:47:23 PM »

Yes and to your last point, Gibcus wasn’t performing at the end of last season which is why I have the other key position defenders ahead of him.

Same, his last 6-8 weeks in particular were very poor
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2022, 11:01:52 PM »

Same, his last 6-8 weeks in particular were very poor
Which is understandable for a 1st year player.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond