Author Topic: 2023 - Best 22  (Read 15803 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 2023 - Best 22
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2022, 08:36:23 AM »
It's a good looking team on paper. Hopefully it works as well as it looks.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2022, 09:29:14 AM »
Just a reminder to stick to the topic without the petty digs, snide cheapshots, baiting and trolling

People don't have to agree with one another, debate is good. It can be done without any of the above

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2022, 10:02:00 AM »
Anyone know or heard how Dylan's hamstring recovered after surgery.  Hopefully he is right to go early in pre-season

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2022, 11:56:27 AM »
Was hoping my warning would be enough without having to SNIP  :banghead

But clearly not

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2022, 12:25:35 PM »
Why on earth did you delete my post? If you can't comment on comments that have been made regarding football then what hope is there
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Broadsword

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2022, 01:01:37 PM »
The mods giveth and the mods taketh away. Blessed be the name of the mods.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2022, 01:51:52 PM »
The mods giveth and the mods taketh away. Blessed be the name of the mods.

😁

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2022, 04:50:49 PM »
People making comment on Gibcus dropping off and fair enough, but no one talking about Balta and how ordinary he was most of the year including when he went back to defense at times..

I just think its a must we find that good balance of long term verses short term and get our share of  better younger blokes to 60 80 games as quickly as possible.

Miller, Gibcus, Sonsie are  too good to just leave in the two's. Miller in particular has done a long apprenticeship and now needs to be played.
For me as the teams swingman, we know he can play defense, we know he can play as a competent second ruck and he looks likely as a fwd.
When it comes to our tall structure he provides real good versatility and cover.

Sonsie just oozes class no way would any side now leave him out, especially with another preseason behind him. Imo he is already the 7th best mid we have which means he starts on the pine but he can also play fwd as well. Taranto, Cotchin, Prestia, Hopper, Martin, Bolton and Sonsie
Should all play midfield in front of the remaning mids on the list.

Same for Gibcus.
For me we have 5 blokes who are  genuine key defenders.
Tarrant, Miller, Balta, Gibcus, Nyuon, and at a pinch if it came to it Grimes but Grimes can play other roles very well and is a better option in many of them.
Can tick Miller off as i think he has shown most as a second ruck come fwd. Atm play him well in front of Soldo.I think Soldo is not in competition with Miller but Nankervis for the first ruck job.
 Atm Nyuon is behind all of them but who knows he may have a break out season what then.

i know it is not a popular opinion but i firmly believe we need another tall actually playing fwd and developing into the role as he goes with the two mature boys there to help  and not relying on just TL and JR. We need to show patience with them in the role. For me that person should be Balta still. The process has already begun and no one can tell me he is not the most credentialed player and experienced to get the role.
If not Balta then someone.

Spine would go

Tarrant - Gibcus - Taranto - Balta - Lynch. This scenario we get the best of both worlds. we get our best fwd prospect playing there and we have him covered with potentially the best kpd on our list who continues to get games in Gibcus.

Third talls who play other roles would go
Grimes - Broad both regularly play on smaller players.

Ruck would go
1st Nankervis - 2nd Miller instead of Soldo for his better rounded game and his versatility.

Small/Medium forwards would go

Rioli, Cumberland, Bolton, Sonsie, Martin the first two are already permanent fwds and the others already rotate thru there. Ask yourself do we need to pick other small/mediums for a fwd role. Answer imo is no.

Just about everyone agrees the wing roles for now are taken. Pickett and McIntosh, but they are roles that should be looked at for reasons that people have already mentioned.

It all means if we pick the best option for each role and we do the best we can to cover the tall fwd short comings we have then some  favorites are likely to miss games.

FB: Vlastuin - Tarrant - Grimes
HB: Broad - Gibcus - D Rioli

C: Pickett - Taranto - McIntosh . Im hoping for a kid to step up here.
R: Nankervis - Hopper - Bolton

HF: Martin - Balta - Cumberland
FF: M Rioli - Lynch - Riewoldt.

INT: Miller - Cotchin - Prestia - Sonsie - Baker/Graham/Short.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2022, 05:51:23 PM »
I mean I think everyone’s got pretty much the same side with maybe 1-3 differences.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2022, 07:36:38 PM »
Every AFL club’s best 22 for 2023 after the trade period

David Zita, Ben Cotton and Catherine Healey
Fox Sports
October 18th, 2022

RICHMOND

B: Dylan Grimes, Robbie Tarrant, Nathan Broad

HB: Nick Vlastuin, Noah Balta, Dan Rioli

C: Kamdyn McIntosh, Jacob Hopper, Marlion Pickett

HF:Tim Taranto, Jack Riewoldt, Shai Bolton

F: Noah Cumberland, Tom Lynch, Maurice Rioli Jr

FOLL: Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Dustin Martin

I/C: Liam Baker, Jayden Short, Trent Cotchin, Tyler Sonsie

In: Tim Taranto, Jacob Hopper

Out: Josh Caddy, Kane Lambert, Matthew Parker, Shane Edwards, Sydney Stack, Jake Aarts, Riley Collier-Dawkins

WE SAY: Damien Hardwick has got two new ‘set and forget’ operators in Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper. Both will add immediate depth and potency to a Richmond midfield brigade that has at times been very thin. Their arrivals won’t make things any easier for Jack Graham as he attempts to break into the side more consistently, but it’s a healthy competition for spots. Dustin Martin’s position is highly dependant on how his body holds up, but with a great pre-season he could return to his midfield-forward best. The likes of Josh Gibcus may have to bide their time at the start of the year.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/new-faces-selection-squeezes-every-afl-clubs-best-22-for-2023-after-the-trade-period/news-story/ba1174c5796b51dff62337a03fc51081

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2022, 10:19:52 PM »
Every AFL club’s best 22 for 2023 after the trade period

David Zita, Ben Cotton and Catherine Healey
Fox Sports
October 18th, 2022

RICHMOND

B: Dylan Grimes, Robbie Tarrant, Nathan Broad

HB: Nick Vlastuin, Noah Balta, Dan Rioli

C: Kamdyn McIntosh, Jacob Hopper, Marlion Pickett

HF:Tim Taranto, Jack Riewoldt, Shai Bolton

F: Noah Cumberland, Tom Lynch, Maurice Rioli Jr

FOLL: Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Dustin Martin

I/C: Liam Baker, Jayden Short, Trent Cotchin, Tyler Sonsie

In: Tim Taranto, Jacob Hopper

Out: Josh Caddy, Kane Lambert, Matthew Parker, Shane Edwards, Sydney Stack, Jake Aarts, Riley Collier-Dawkins

WE SAY: Damien Hardwick has got two new ‘set and forget’ operators in Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper. Both will add immediate depth and potency to a Richmond midfield brigade that has at times been very thin. Their arrivals won’t make things any easier for Jack Graham as he attempts to break into the side more consistently, but it’s a healthy competition for spots. Dustin Martin’s position is highly dependant on how his body holds up, but with a great pre-season he could return to his midfield-forward best. The likes of Josh Gibcus may have to bide their time at the start of the year.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/new-faces-selection-squeezes-every-afl-clubs-best-22-for-2023-after-the-trade-period/news-story/ba1174c5796b51dff62337a03fc51081

Can’t be right
No Jack Graham listed

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2022, 11:08:50 PM »
Given the senior team i picked A Potential vfl team, some selections people won't like. Also taking into account the 8 players we have lost.

Mansell - xxxx - xxxx
Short - Nyuon - Brown

Banks - Baker - Ralphsmith
Soldo - Ross - Graham

Clarke - Bauer - Dow
Castagna - xxxx - Ryan

Colina - xxxx - xxxx - xxxx.

Some real holes with just 192cm Bauer as the only genuine key forward.

Three dinosaur rucks in Soldo, Colina, Ryan with Ryan probably having to play key fwd. If Soldo plays seniors then Miller will probably play KPD.

Just Nyuon as a key defender especially if Gibcus is played in the seniors which is likely imo.

Just 4 mids 5 if you include Short, the others being Ross, Dow, Graham and Baker.

Reckon we still need to find more mids inside and out, two big tall fwds,  a medium sized defender and of course a small/med fwd so we can get rid of Castagna once and for all.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2022, 09:44:06 PM »
Given the senior team i picked A Potential vfl team, some selections people won't like. Also taking into account the 8 players we have lost.

Mansell - xxxx - xxxx
Short - Nyuon - Brown

Soldo - Ross - Graham

Clarke - Bauer - Dow
Castagna - xxxx - Ryan

Three dinosaur rucks in Soldo, Colina, Ryan with Ryan probably having to play key fwd. If Soldo plays seniors then Miller will probably play KPD.

Just Nyuon as a key defender especially if Gibcus is played in the seniors which is likely imo.

Just 4 mids 5 if you include Short, the others being Ross, Dow, Graham and Baker.

Reckon we still need to find more mids inside and out, two big tall fwds,  a medium sized defender and of course a small/med fwd so we can get rid of Castagna once and for all.

You realise there is restrictions on list sizes ???

Broadsword

« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2022, 09:59:11 PM »
Let's see, 23 including sub in the senior team; 16 named in the reserves; and 2+ mids, 2 forwards, 1 defender and 1 small/medium forward expected. And they can't be of the quality of Aarts--they have to be good or it's unforgivable list management. That's bare minimum 45 listed players. Good players. Even with category B the maximum is 44. Yep, I think we might have a classic case of unreliastico expectationus on our hands here.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2022, 07:25:38 PM »

Mansell - xxxx - xxxx
Short - Nyuon - Brown

Soldo - Ross - Graham

Clarke - Bauer - Dow
Castagna - xxxx - Ryan

You realise there is restrictions on list sizes ???
wtf i named 22 in the senior team and 16 in the twos. List sizes are are generally 44 that leaves 6 spots to round the list out to 44.
Its pretty plain looking at what is left for the two's and if we do the logical thing and try to mirror the structure we have in the seniors  then  we need two tall fwds im not talking quality thats just the type we lack. we lack mids in that team  and we lack a medium defender and depending on where Miller plays or Gibcus another tall defender.
That is 6 players which brings the number up to what is pretty standard for most at 44.