Author Topic: 2023 - Best 22  (Read 15777 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: 2023 - Best 22
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2022, 07:18:02 PM »
Now I never said that Sonsie wont play in '23, he will & he will do well.  He is a rare talent & I want to see him out there. 
I just don't want to see the kid get crushed by the weight of expectation ...  is that fair enough?   

It's only claw's expectation, Tyler will be fine haha

The only expectation i have voiced is that he is starting 22 and a better mid than the other players vying with him for a spot.

Not sure about me being singled out when it comes to expectations i am definately one who always sits and waits for them to actually prove themselves!!!

in Sonsie's case i feel i dont have to do that. He is now afl ready but of course he will take time to mature and get the best out of himself that should not preclude him from being picked if he is the better option.As Macca said nothing to be gained by him playing vfl now.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2022, 10:37:53 PM »
Now I never said that Sonsie wont play in '23, he will & he will do well.  He is a rare talent & I want to see him out there. 
I just don't want to see the kid get crushed by the weight of expectation ...  is that fair enough?   

It's only claw's expectation, Tyler will be fine haha

The only expectation i have voiced is that he is starting 22 and a better mid than the other players vying with him for a spot.

Not sure about me being singled out when it comes to expectations i am definately one who always sits and waits for them to actually prove themselves!!!

in Sonsie's case i feel i dont have to do that. He is now afl ready but of course he will take time to mature and get the best out of himself that should not preclude him from being picked if he is the better option.As Macca said nothing to be gained by him playing vfl now.

Think it was mostly this hype:
'The kid with ball in hand is  about the best player we have or potentially is, we want the ball in tylers hands.. thats the real beauty of getting the two big recruits.'

I don't disagree myself. Just saying that Tyler will cope with your expectations I'm sure.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2022, 04:22:00 PM »
This is how I would like both teams to start. There is bound to be injuries so players like Graham, Ross, Short, Gibcus etc will find their way into the team quickly but until then, I think both sides stack up well. You could swap out Sonsie for Short, Ross or Graham but I like the extra dimension of skill and potential he provides over the others. I also included Narkle who may or may not be in the side moving forward.

AFL Team

B: Dylan Grimes, Noah Balta, Robbie Tarrant
HB: Nathan Broad, Nick Vlastuin, Daniel Rioli
C: Marlion Pickett, Jacob Hopper, Kamdyn McIntosh
HF: Maurice Rioli, Shai Bolton, Noah Cumberland
F: Jack Riewoldt, Dustin Martin, Tom Lynch
Foll: Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Tim Taranto
I/C: Ben Miller, Tyler Sonsie, Trent Cotchin, Liam Baker

VFL Team

B: Tyler Young, Bigoa Nyuon, Caleb Smith
HB: Tom Brown, Josh Gibcus, Garrett McDonagh
C:  Steely Green, Jack Graham, Sam Banks
HF: Seth Campbell, Ralph-Smith, Judson Clarke
F: Quinten Narkle, Sampson Ryan, Jason Castagna
Foll: Ivan Soldo, Jayden Short, Jack Ross
I/C: Mate Colina, Thomas Dow, Bauer, VFL Listed Player

Did I leave anyone off?

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2022, 04:27:59 PM »
Like your afl side stripes. I’ve just got short instead of kmac with sonsie taking over the wing role and short going back to half back flank.

With your vfl side I’d really hope we’d be taking the big WA fella over narkle although it wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2022, 05:16:48 PM »

VFL Team

Welcome back Stripes, great to see you here

On your VFL side I think it is a given that Lachlan Street will play every week seeing he is our VFL team's captain

Like your afl side stripes. I’ve just got short instead of kmac with sonsie taking over the wing role and short going back to half back flank.

With your vfl side I’d really hope we’d be taking the big WA fella over narkle although it wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t.

Agree re Narkle

Not sure who the WA bloke is but I'd be happy with Bradtke from Corowa/Rutherglen  ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2022, 06:47:23 PM »
Thanks, Tigerkosh and Mr Powell. I don't know much about the potential WA recruit - is he a forward?
WP - Besides Street, are there any other VFL players that would be walk-up starts in the team over our AFL-listed players?

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2022, 09:01:30 PM »
I’m of the view that we need more pace on the wings. Love Pickett’s hardness and KMac’s gut running but feel a guy like HRS can add a dimension with both pace and running capacity
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2022, 04:11:44 AM »
I’m of the view that we need more pace on the wings. Love Pickett’s hardness and KMac’s gut running but feel a guy like HRS can add a dimension with both pace and running capacity

He’s gotta get much much better at the defensive side of his game. Kmac regularly helps out in defence while Pickett last season was a contested/intercept marking machine.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2022, 08:39:15 AM »
Agreed TK but he’s still a cub, would like to think another big pre season will enhance his runnjng capacity to do just that
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2022, 09:18:43 AM »
Agreed TK but he’s still a cub, would like to think another big pre season will enhance his runnjng capacity to do just that

I’ve said it a few times now, but I think sonsie could be a really good winger. He’s a great kick on both feet and his overhead contested marking looked strong in the games he played last season. Would just need to learn the running pattern and obviously build his tank up.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2022, 09:58:12 AM »

I’ve said it a few times now, but I think sonsie could be a really good winger. He’s a great kick on both feet and his overhead contested marking looked strong in the games he played last season. Would just need to learn the running pattern and obviously build his tank up.

Agree but he won’t have the tank to play on a wing. Sonsie I can see getting ball on a fast break from centre clearance (insert preferred feeder here - Hopper, Cotchin, Prestia, Taranto) and hitting our forwards lace out inside 50.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2022, 10:28:46 AM »

Agree but he won’t have the tank to play on a wing. Sonsie I can see getting ball on a fast break from centre clearance (insert preferred feeder here - Hopper, Cotchin, Prestia, Taranto) and hitting our forwards lace out inside 50.

Edwards role hopefully

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2022, 10:42:41 AM »
Damn straight Andy

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2022, 11:35:27 AM »
This is how I would like both teams to start. There is bound to be injuries so players like Graham, Ross, Short, Gibcus etc will find their way into the team quickly but until then, I think both sides stack up well. You could swap out Sonsie for Short, Ross or Graham but I like the extra dimension of skill and potential he provides over the others. I also included Narkle who may or may not be in the side moving forward.

AFL Team

B: Dylan Grimes, Noah Balta, Robbie Tarrant
HB: Nathan Broad, Nick Vlastuin, Daniel Rioli
C: Marlion Pickett, Jacob Hopper, Kamdyn McIntosh
HF: Maurice Rioli, Shai Bolton, Noah Cumberland
F: Jack Riewoldt, Dustin Martin, Tom Lynch
Foll: Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Tim Taranto
I/C: Ben Miller, Tyler Sonsie, Trent Cotchin, Liam Baker

VFL Team

Did I leave anyone off?

Yep Nigel as in Mansell straight to the backline for McDonagh.

Reckon Bauer will play kpf/ythird tall and HRS will play wing. Concern with Hugo is he needs to toughen up outside running roles are the only roles he is good for atm.
Smith imo  will get or should get the Dan Rioli role coming off hb Can't help but be impressed with what he did at e/freo in the role.

Big no to Narkle for me. Bradtke or Kietel thanks. That will give us either a super athletic promising 20 yr old key fwd who is already a good size or a mature proven state league kpf, he  kicked 71 goals in 2021 who may be able to provide a bit of cover if Jack or Tom went down and certainly has the experience to lead the fwd line in the two's.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2023, 05:37:07 PM »
According to Jon Ralph.

RICHMOND BEST 23​

B:    Grimes   Tarrant     Dan Rioli

HB: Vlastuin    Balta       Broad

C:    Short     Taranto    McIntosh

HF:  Bolton     Lynch      Martin