Author Topic: AFLW 1st Semi Final: Richmond vs North Melbourne @ Punt Rd, Sat. Nov. 12  (Read 9789 times)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: AFLW 1st Semi Final: Richmond vs North Melbourne @ Punt Rd, Sat. Nov. 12
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2022, 04:15:46 PM »
Agree with knighter, whatever gives the girls the best chance to win. And if we do manage to win then I assume the prelim final will be at ikon park or marvel stadium so whichever wants to go will have no trouble getting a ticket.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2022, 04:19:43 PM »
Does Poppy Kelly have to play?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2022, 04:21:01 PM »
Pretty sure those thousands of extra fans don't want to see us lose at the Scums home ground.  Punt Rd gives us the best chance to win

Just think those who handed over the hard earned $$ for an AFLW membership would like to be able to go an watch.

there is a good chance that won't happen

It's funny; in the AFL at finals time we whack Geelong supporters for complaining about not having home finals at Kardinia Park because it would mean '000s would miss out. But in this case it's OK for fans to miss out because we deserve the advantage of having a home final at our home ground

And BTW I've managed to get a ticket

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2022, 04:21:35 PM »
Does Poppy Kelly have to play?

I reckon they will play her Chuck

Why?

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2022, 05:15:10 PM »
Pretty sure those thousands of extra fans don't want to see us lose at the Scums home ground.  Punt Rd gives us the best chance to win

Just think those who handed over the hard earned $$ for an AFLW membership would like to be able to go an watch.

there is a good chance that won't happen

It's funny; in the AFL at finals time we whack Geelong supporters for complaining about not having home finals at Kardinia Park because it would mean '000s would miss out. But in this case it's OK for fans to miss out because we deserve the advantage of having a home final at our home ground

And BTW I've managed to get a ticket

I don’t whack Geelong supporters for complaining about not playing at kardinia. In fact I think it is their right to play every home game there. What I do whack them for is clinging to the fact they don’t play there as the only reason they’re not winning. Especially in our dynasty years complaining the afl favoured us like them playing finals at the G hasn’t been the way it’s been for atleast 20 years. I can really only remember them playing 1 final at their beloved stadium once and they lost that one to freo.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2022, 05:49:16 PM »
Tickets for Saturday's Semi-Final between @RichmondWomens and @NorthMelbourneW at the Swinburne Centre are now sold out, no further tickets will be released.

https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/1589485073895919617

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2022, 05:50:08 PM »
Pathetic’ Tigers slammed for locking fans out of final

Richmond’s AFLW semi-final sold out in minutes, leaving fans out in the cold and rival players questioning the Tigers’ decision to host the game at 2800-capacity Punt Rd Oval.

Richmond’s AFLW semi-final sold out in minutes but CEO Brendon Gale has defended the decision to host the game at 2800-capacity Punt Rd Oval.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/richmond-chooses-home-ground-advantage-over-a-big-crowd-for-aflw-semifinal/news-story/ef9b8a385a2442d37d584ee1dfe5e86f

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2022, 07:14:03 PM »
‘Doesn’t make sense’: AFL under fire for finals decision as Tigers defend ‘double standard’ claim

Catherine Healey
Fox Sports
November 7th, 2022 6:24 pm

The AFL has come under fire for its “missed opportunity” by scheduling an AFLW final to clash with a Matildas match, forcing fans to choose between the two sports.

The match between the Matildas and world number two ranked Sweden was announced back in August for this Saturday afternoon at AAMI Park.

But the AFL has opted to host both AFLW finals this Saturday as well – with Richmond hosting North Melbourne at the smaller Punt Road from 1.40pm, despite Friday night and Sunday being options for the code.

There’s also a WBBL clash to be held at Junction Oval on Saturday from 1.40pm.

The second final will be held in Adelaide from 4.10pm – and will clash with the annual Christmas Pageant.

AFLW expert and Fox Footy commentator Chyloe Kurdas was left unimpressed by the scheduling conflicts.

“A limited number of people could physically go and have the (AFL)W experience with a smaller venue, then a clash with a marquee international sporting event. So, it doesn’t make sense … it’s a bit of an own goal,” Kurdas told The Age.

“It doesn’t make sense to split your women’s sports fan base.

“If you’re going to host a game at Punt Road, either host it early or host it late and then allow fans to go to both. What they’re essentially asking fans to do is choose.”

Tickets for Richmond’s AFLW final sold out within minutes on Monday, but the venue holds just 2800 people.

Tigers chief Brendon Gale has defended the club’s decision to host its semi-final at Punt Road, despite crowds of more than 4000 predicted.

“Ultimately we decided our AFLW team had earned the right to play a home final,” Gale said.

“Our players and coaching staff have worked incredibly hard for this opportunity and are very excited to be playing at the Swinburne Centre.

“While we understand some fans will be disappointed given the capacity of the venue, we owe it to our players to give them the best chance of winning.”

In the past Gale had called on men’s Tigers games against Geelong to be played at a larger stadium in Melbourne.

Brownlow Medallist Adam Cooney weighed in on the AFLW fixturing, and believes the summer slot is where the sport is best suited.

“It’s a busy week at the moment, it’s Melbourne Cup week, there’s four race meetings on, there’s plenty of other sports happening, the T20 World Cup, there’s probably too much happening at this time of year for the players and the AFLW to get the clear air,” he said on SEN.

“In the summer there’s a lot more news being generated because there’s not a lot to talk about sport wise.

“(AFLW) gets its own clear run. People are more intrigued.

“It makes way more sense from my point of view to have it when they can get their own clear air. It’s sort of been lost with the horse racing and what else has been on this week.

“The conditions are obviously tough to play in (over summer), but the men are training in the exact same conditions as well.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/womens-afl/supporter-split-afl-under-fire-for-missed-opportunity-as-fans-forced-to-choose/news-story/8fb6aade2ffb64672455864865ffae44

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2022, 07:18:51 PM »
Tigers' Punt Rd preference means sold-out semi unlikely to be moved

Sarah Black
womens.afl
7 November 2022

RICHMOND'S "very strong preference" to play its home semi-final against North Melbourne at the Swinburne Centre means there is little to no chance of it being moved, despite the game selling out.

Tickets were exhausted within 13 minutes of going on general sale on Monday, with the venue able to accommodate around 2,500 fans.

The teams played two weeks ago, attracting a crowd of 3,100 at Arden Street.

Tigers CEO Brendon Gale told News Corp that his side had earned a home final.

"We had some discussions with the AFL regarding the venue for this weekend's game, but ultimately we decided our AFLW team had earned the right to play a home final," Gale said.

"Our players and coaching staff have worked incredibly hard for this opportunity and are very excited to be playing at the Swinburne Centre.

"While we understand some fans will be disappointed given the capacity of the venue, we owe it to our players to give them the best chance of winning.

"This discussion underlines the significance of our planned redevelopment at Punt Road Oval which will grow our capacity to almost 8000 – a project we are fully committed to delivering."

There has been significant backlash on social media from fans who have been unable to get tickets, as well as those concerned about the timing clash with the Matildas' match against Sweden at the nearby AAMI Park.

The AFLW supporter base has a substantial overlap with women's sporting fans in general.

Richmond has previously opted to move to alternate venues for AFLW matches due to Punt Road Oval's limited capacity, with the Tigers moving two home games in 2020 to accommodate a larger crowd.

The AFL provided womens.afl with the following statement:

"Richmond earned the right to host the semi-final and indicated a very strong preference to play on their home deck at Punt Road – which we know will have a great atmosphere come 1:40pm Saturday.

"When scheduling finals matches, the AFL takes into consideration a number of factors including the home team venue preference, days breaks for clubs (both the week before and the following week), timings for fans, clubs and broadcast, and forecasted crowd / venue capacity.

"Our role is to give our AFLW matches the best possible chance to be a successful event and after an amazing week one, we have two great semi-finals lined up on Saturday afternoon across Victoria and SA, live on Channel 7, and on based on day one ticket sales, really strong attendance interest in both games."

Both the Richmond-North Melbourne match and the Adelaide-Collingwood game at Unley Oval must be played during the day due to a lack of broadcast-quality lights for night matches.

The WBBL Melbourne Derby – also broadcast on the Seven Network – is being played on Sunday, while the need to avoid five or six-day breaks is also considered.

https://www.womens.afl/news/114345/tigers-punt-rd-preference-means-sold-out-semi-unlikely-to-be-moved

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2022, 11:21:34 PM »
We finished top 4 & are entitled to a home final & the choice of venue.  How many teams would choose to play their game at an away venue?  We are not Geelong in the AFL, we are Richmond in the AFLW & we play at PRO!   
Now I don't actually know who made this decision (the board, the AFLW, coach or president) but I would hope that our players had a say in this, if so then they chose to play at home & why not?  Who wouldn't? 
There's a premiership on the line here & winning it is what matters the most, not the comfort of a few supporters.  Choosing our battlefield is the most significant advantage we could get & its a right that we earned, why not give ourselves the greatest possible chance of winning?     :gotigers       
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2022, 02:29:48 AM »
I would still opt for princes park. Its neutral ground for North and Tigers and I’d rather we be ok the right side of history and not shaft our members/fans.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2022, 07:11:04 AM »
We finished top 4 & are entitled to a home final & the choice of venue.  How many teams would choose to play their game at an away venue?  We are not Geelong in the AFL, we are Richmond in the AFLW & we play at PRO!   
Now I don't actually know who made this decision (the board, the AFLW, coach or president) but I would hope that our players had a say in this, if so then they chose to play at home & why not?  Who wouldn't? 
There's a premiership on the line here & winning it is what matters the most, not the comfort of a few supporters.  Choosing our battlefield is the most significant advantage we could get & its a right that we earned, why not give ourselves the greatest possible chance of winning?     :gotigers     

Umm Melbourne finshed 2nd. Entitled to a home final, so they could have played down at Casey Fields where they  have an advantage but they were not afforded that so called "right". Different rules for different fools; clearly

Our Club via the CEO goes on about "how we exist because of our members". That statement seems pretty hollow whe n so many members got shafted with this decision

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2022, 08:13:19 AM »
You are starting to sound like a broken record WP. Get over it or just shut up for everyone’s sake

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2022, 09:06:01 AM »

Umm Melbourne finshed 2nd. Entitled to a home final, so they could have played down at Casey Fields where they  have an advantage but they were not afforded that so called "right". Different rules for different fools; clearly

Our Club via the CEO goes on about "how we exist because of our members". That statement seems pretty hollow whe n so many members got shafted with this decision

Casey fields has a capacity of almost 10k. I very much doubt their qualifying final being played at ikon park had anything to do with needing more capacity given there were only 2.5k people in attendance.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2022, 12:04:59 PM »

Casey fields has a capacity of almost 10k. I very much doubt their qualifying final being played at ikon park had anything to do with needing more capacity given there were only 2.5k people in attendance.

My point was Melb earned the right for a home final at Casey but they were directed by the AFL /AFLW  that their final had to be played at Ikon. But for reasons only the AFL can explain a different set of rules for them, different rules for us