Author Topic: What is Richmond's pass mark for 2023?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
What is Richmond's pass mark for 2023?
« on: January 26, 2023, 06:19:47 PM »
Every AFL team’s pass mark for the 2023 season

Will Guthrie
zerohanger.com
January 26, 2023

Richmond

The Tigers enter 2023 full of confidence, but they'll also be praying that the type of injuries and setbacks that typified 2022 are not repeated. Particularly when it comes to their star players.

They can ill-afford to lose Dustin Martin, Tom Lynch, Jack Riewoldt, Dylan Grimes or Shai Bolton for lengthy periods. With a clean bill of health, the list is more than capable of challenging for another flag, particularly with the big-name recruits they have brought in.

Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper are two very handy inclusions, allowing the likes of Dustin Martin and Shai Bolton to rest forward and wreak havoc, while also taking the pressure off Dion Prestia and Trent Cotchin.

Richmond's Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto during the 2023 AFL pre-season (Image: Richmond FC Twitter)
If Richmond can finish top 6 and go deep into finals, this season can be considered a pass, however that is unlikely to satisfy this driven group of players, who no doubt view a mythical fourth flag as a must.

Pass Mark: 14-17 wins and top four/home finals.

https://www.zerohanger.com/every-afl-teams-pass-mark-for-the-2023-season-131779/14/

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: What is Richmond's pass mark for 2023?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 08:17:53 PM »
Agree top 4 finish at a minimum

Then.....

Rest will take care of itself
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 03:38:55 PM »
for me its a flag or bust with the path we have taken.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 08:02:22 PM »

Agree

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 09:06:57 PM »

Agree

Flags are tough. If we get to place where we give it a fair shot then that would be a pass. Top 4 is a pass for me. Flag would be amazing  but is above a "Pass" mark
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 12:16:45 PM »
Exactly. What you want out of a home and away season is to give yourself a good chance at the flag, which means top 4.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 02:46:00 PM »
Exactly. What you want out of a home and away season is to give yourself a good chance at the flag, which means top 4.

Exactly.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 08:53:28 PM »
Finish top 4 still not having reached our peak.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 09:02:32 AM »

Agree

Flags are tough. If we get to place where we give it a fair shot then that would be a pass. Top 4 is a pass for me. Flag would be amazing  but is above a "Pass" mark

Great post.
TBH, we are a 2023 version of that Carlton side in late ‘80’s - mid 90’s. I hated them but they were that classic destination club and attracted talent from interstate in particular but also other clubs.
They only won 2 flags from the mid 80’s til the late 90’s but had a heap of top 4 ladder positions during that time which meant they were continually challenging for a flag.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 10:19:17 AM »
Top 6 and win at least 2 finals

But with a good injury free run I believe we have a good shot at the flag
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 11:25:07 AM by MintOnLamb »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 08:22:57 PM »
What's your club's pass mark for 2023?   

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1622464663312273409

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cornes and King set their pass mark for Richmond in 2023 (SEN)
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2023, 08:07:24 PM »
Kane and Kingy set their 'Pass Marks' for @Richmond_FC in 2023!

LISTEN: https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/NTETP7392740660?selected=NTETP3314020301

-----------------

Transcript:

David King:

Hardwick will be able to win in different ways this year. He's had the intercept game down pat. They are a scary proposition when they move the ball by hand. They've got those fleet of foot HBFs and HFFs. Taranto and Hopper come in. That's your midfield brutes.

Can't rely Prestia. Missed 12 games in 2020, 13 in 2021 and only 4 last year where he came 3rd in the B&F. That's how important this guy is.

But if you don't have to rely on him being healthy every week and you've got Bolton, Short, Baker, Dusty, Pickett can go in there, Sonsie, Dow's had a good preseason, Prestia I've mentioned, then you've got genuine midfield depth. That's the luxury Richmond are going to throw at the opposition each week. They are in for a big year the Tiges.

Kane Cornes:

Agree with that on paper. However, Richmond get injured a lot. Their best players get injured. Prestia gets injured, Martin gets injured, Grimes gets injured, Cotchin is always injured, Graham is injured at the moment, Lynch gets injured, Castagna has a hammy, Gibcus has got a serious hammy, Vlastuin missed a lot of games last year. They all do hamstrings for whatever reason at Richmond and they do them at crucial times. So provided they stay sound, not everyone is sound for the whole season, but if they get the majority of those to play 18+ games then yep they will be in the mix. But if not, then it could go wrong pretty badly at Richmond injury-wise.

King:

Think Tim Taranto will announce himself as a bona fide star of the competition under the bright lights of the Richmond Football Club. He's 25 and played 114 games. He's entering his prime years. He's never been All-Australian.

Kane Cornes:

He's another injured player. He gets injured as well.

King:

You're hot on this.

Cornes:

Richmond's injuries. I've said it for three years. I'm right on this. They get injured a lot. Their best players do a lot of hamstrings. I don't know what it is.

King:

The way they play maybe? It is a ballistic brand of footy.

Cornes:

Yeah that and age. When you've done one hammy and you get older, then you're prone to doing others.

King:

They had five games decided by under 10 points last year and lost four of them. Some of them comical. They lost to Geelong by three points, Swans by six points.

Cornes:

The one at Marvel that was a draw.

King:

They were in control. Even the final up north was just crazy. The goal umpiring and all that stuff.

Cornes:

What I am excited about Richmond is Martin and Bolton. And you've watched them during the preseason. Bolton does his best work front of centre and when he goes into the centrebounce and finds a mismatch, he's a nightmare. But Bolton and Martin could be the best medium to small forward duo in the game. I don't know ... how many goals combined could they kick ... I think 80+.

King:

The most goals Martin has kicked in a season is 37. That sounds low but he has played a lot of midfield. I'm tipping 45+.

Cornes:

Dusty gives a lot away. I'd like to see his assist numbers.

King:

I'm excited by Noah Balta at CHB. I think he is one of the most athletically gifted players in the competition. And Noah Cumberland as that wildcard forward who rides shotgun next to Lynch and Riewoldt.

Cornes:

You've mentioned Sonsie. He plays footy the right way. Defensively, he is really strong.

They've topped up but they haven't neglected the draft. They've been pretty shrewed with their picks.

My only concern as I've said is injuries.

What's their pass mark? You've got them top 4?

King:

Yeah. I'm really excited about their season. Their pass mark ... winning one final is probably their pass mark but they will be top 4 for me. I'm flirting with the idea of tipping them to win the whole lot.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Cornes and King set their pass mark for Richmond in 2023 (SEN)
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2023, 08:48:01 PM »
King:

Think Tim Taranto will announce himself as a bona fide star of the competition under the bright lights of the Richmond Football Club. He's 25 and played 114 games. He's entering his prime years. He's never been All-Australian.

Kane Cornes:

He's another injured player. He gets injured as well.
Taranto missed 6 games last year yet played every game for the Giants in 2021 when they made the finals. Hardly someone who is always injured :huh3.

Having said that soft tissue injuries have been an issue for the past two years though.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2023, 10:23:43 PM »
He's right otherwise, we do a lot of hammies and a lot of our best players get injured. It's rare we have our best 22-23 players out there.