Author Topic: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]  (Read 96156 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2023, 05:26:45 PM »
HOW THE TIGERS PLAN TO USE DIMMA EXIT TO GET “AHEAD OF THE GAME” IN COACHING SEARCH

Seb Mottram
SEN
13 June 2023

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale says Richmond has time to get ahead of what could be a coaching merry-go-round at the end of the year thanks to Damien Hardwick’s decision to step away early.

Andrew McQualter has been standing in for Hardwick since Round 11 after the three-time premiership coach cited burnout in his decision to leave Punt Road.

While the Tigers don’t have a timeline to approach candidates, Gale says they’ll be at the front of the pack courtesy of Hardwick’s call.

“One of the benefits of Damien selflessly pulling up is it gives us time and space to get ahead of the game… it’s about getting the right process and if you get the right process you’re more likely to make a strong decision,” he told reporters on Tuesday night.

Richmond will not rush into choosing Damien Hardwick's successor but chief executive Brendon Gale has praised Andrew McQualter's seamless transition as interim coach.

Gale said it was a "work in progress" to put together a sub-committee as the Tigers search for a new coach for the first time since 2009.

Gale – as the primary decision maker in Hardwick’s replacement – confirmed the club would seek internal and external feedback before detailing the key traits Richmond needs in a coach.

“I think more than ever, emotional intelligence. Highly intelligent, have a great empathy and understanding and the ability to build relationships is becoming more and more important,” he stated.

But the Tigers might already have their next senior coach in the hot seat.

McQualter has coached two wins from his three games in charge, including a 15-point upset over Fremantle on the weekend.

A former St Kilda and Gold Coast player, McQualter had flown under the radar but is now seen as one of the leading contenders for the vacant job.

“He’s going well, he’s good. We were spoiled for choice and we had a number of coaches who had coached their own team at various levels, he was the only one who hadn’t,” Gale explained.

“So we thought it’d be good to have a look at him and he’s got great connection with the group and great connection with our club, so he knows what makes us us.

“We’ve got a bit of bounce and a bit of energy and we’re competitive and we're a bit more recognisable. It’s always nice to win.”

But the CEO added McQualter wasn’t expected to play a major role in the club’s list management.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/13/how-the-tigers-plan-to-use-dimma-exit-to-get-ahead-of-the-game-in-coaching/
https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-boss-gale-says-tigers-wont-rush-coach-search-c-10966544

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2023, 08:12:50 AM »
What are our thoughts about mini? I think we’re all aware and cautious of the honeymoon period but has he started to win anyone over?

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2023, 09:32:03 AM »
I think we need to reinvigorate a new generation and hit the draft hard over the next 3-5 years so with a new era I think we need a new coach

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2023, 09:46:28 AM »
not even in the slightest. How many caretakers have worked? Maybe 1.

lets see how he goes at Pooiad. Then we can really assess how he has gone.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2023, 09:49:45 AM »
What are our thoughts about mini? I think we’re all aware and cautious of the honeymoon period but has he started to win anyone over?

Warming to him.

Players certainly seem to play for him

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2023, 10:52:24 AM »
We are in a tricky spot IMHO

What has been built in the last 6 years in particular you don't want to lose. It got us 3 flags

I'm taking about the connection, the clear love the playing group has for one another, the unmistakable bond.  Something I don't think we've had since the Hafey era.

We don't want and can't afford to lose that

So our next coach whoever it is needs to be able to keep that and build further on it. Massive challenge indeed

And on Simonator's question I reckon Mini is doing exactly what he needs to do for the now. Let's see the how the rest of the season goes and go from there. FWIW Mini hasn't actually put his hand up for the full time gig yet
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2023, 12:41:15 PM »
Give him credit speakes we'll and there is a football brain there.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2023, 05:38:54 PM »
I'm taking about the connection, the clear love the playing group has for one another, the unmistakable bond.  Something I don't think we've had since the Hafey era.

So our next coach whoever it is needs to be able to keep that and build further on it. Massive challenge indeed
Cotch mentioned the importance of connection after the game last night.

-----------------------------

From the HeraldSun:

"The connection across the ground - that's when you know that there's real confidence amongst the group and it doesn't rely on an individual or a few individuals," triple-premiership skipper Cotchin said.

"It relies on everyone, it sounds really boring but playing their role and executing on their role. But I think that's where our confidence continues to build and grow.

"We've probably still got huge growth in that area as well and that's what's really exciting for our group.

"We've got some players that are chipping away in rehab that would love to be out there at the moment and the VFL performed really well today, some great young talent that are showing great signs there.

"So we're really excited about what the back end of the season can look like.

"Obviously it's been a bit of a slog to get to round 15 bye. It feels like a long beginning to the season but we know that we can play some real good footy in the back half."

The Tigers have three wins and one tight loss to leaders Port Adelaide under interim coach Andrew McQualter.

"There's a willingness to go to work and make sure that you do your part to make the team better," Cotchin said.

"That's not to say that it wasn't there earlier in the year but it's definitely been a focus for the last four or five weeks and our guys thrive on that and we're really excited about what that can do for us moving forward."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/best-to-come-for-tigers-amid-winning-run-cotchin-c-11012390

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2023, 07:50:47 PM »
In people within the walls of the club will know where our stand in coach sits.
He hasn’t put his up yet.
Much to play out.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2023, 08:28:04 PM »
We are in a tricky spot IMHO

What has been built in the last 6 years in particular you don't want to lose. It got us 3 flags

And on Simonator's question I reckon Mini is doing exactly what he needs to do for the now. Let's see the how the rest of the season goes and go from there. FWIW Mini hasn't actually put his hand up for the full time gig yet

Agree with this and think this is an E proud challenge for the new coach. Which is why it's Leppas job if he wants it.

With Jack and Cotch going there will be a need of the new brigade driving current values which is always very tough.
Go Tigers!

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2023, 05:50:57 AM »
I like how he seems very unassuming.
Press conferences have been good. 

Broadsword

« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2023, 06:19:19 AM »
I like how he seems very unassuming.
Press conferences have been good.
Agreed. Get a good feeling from him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2023, 03:52:48 PM »
Fourth time’s a charm? McQualter can buck the interim-coach curse and propel Richmond back to a flag tilt

Ben Wilmoth
theRoar.com.au
19 June 2023

How quickly fortunes can change.

In Saturday night’s driving rain at the MCG it was sometimes hard to see, but two things were as clear as day: first Richmond seemed to have got its mojo back in its win over the Saints, using the go-forward-at-all-costs brand that became Damien Hardwick’s signature and which was used with such stunning success. The Tigers’ season is alive. And second, the win has consolidated Andrew McQualter’s chances of grabbing the top job.

The fact that this was achieved in such challenging conditions and in Trent Cotchin’s 300th game just underscored Tiger excitement, and that the coach they’re looking for might already be in the job.

If departed triple Premiership-winning Richmond coach Damien Hardwick tried to cook the sausage 1000 times and failed to inspire his champion side, as he colourfully put it on his way out, caretaker coach McQualter might have found a new recipe.

There’s something mysterious about interim coach success. We’ve seen teams one week dish up a coach-killing performance, then, when the interim coach takes over, they knock off a premiership fancy the next.

A new message – from a new voice – can ignite a spark in an otherwise dour and uncompetitive outfit.

McQualter is firming as the next interim coach to be signed on for the top job, after Hardwick sensationally quit after Round 10.

The interim coach is generally regarded as the stop gap option, but sometimes – after expert panels and extensive nation-wide searches – the person they want is waiting in the room next door. He knows the game plan, he knows the culture, he knows the players and it’s not a massive and perhaps disruptive handover. This smooth transition can make a lot of sense.

But the strike rate of successful caretaker coaches isn’t good.

Since 2000, only 10 of 25 interim coaches have been signed to the top job, and the majority of those successful have had brief stays.

After Brad Scott and North Melbourne mutually parted ways mid-season in 2019, Rhyce Shaw, long-time assistant coach, replaced him. The Roos then won four matches from eight games to keep them in contention to steal an unexpected spot in the finals.

Only two weeks later, David Teague took the reins from then Carlton senior coach Brendan Bolton, who registered 16 wins from 77 games and a 1-11 record mid-way through the 2019 season. With popular support among the Blues faithful, Teague was given the job after going 5-4.

Brett Ratten, a month later, became the third man to convince his club’s board that his work as interim boss was deserving of the top job, leading the Saints to three wins from the remaining six games.

But both McQualter, the man leading the surge, and Richmond are acutely cognisant of the fact that only three seasons after winning the job, none of Shaw, Teague or Ratten remain in charge.

So, is the successful caretaker to full-time theory still in fashion at club land? McQualter will have to convince Richmond CEO Brendan Gale and President John O’Rourke to ignore recent history.

“Mini” McQualter, like other acting senior coaches, will be given a head start in the race for the job not only through his connection to players and staff, but through a liveliness and spirit that is inevitably born through change.

McQualter’s endorsers will point to the success of Paul Roos, who, after Rodney Eade resigned mid-year, took charge of the Sydney Swans in 2002 and led them to a flag three years later. Roos’ success is the exception to the rule, being the only stop gap coach this century to produce silverware. In this way, the odds remain stacked against McQualter.

During McQualter’s brief stint, Richmond have shown shades of their flag-winning best, playing their style of daring, chaos-embracing footy for which they became renowned.

In an evenly-placed competition, three wins in a row has moved them back into the finals conversation, now only 2 premiership points outside the eight.

Richmond, says Gale, is looking for ‘the next Damien Hardwick’. And McQualter might be just that after a nine-year apprenticeship under the champion coach

Gale’s comments give us an indication of Richmond’s headhunting strategy. It effectively crosses off the out-of-contract Ken Hinkley, highly rated tactician and ex-Crows coach Don Pyke, Nathan Buckley, and anyone else who’s done it before.

If Richmond are looking for the next Hardwick, McQualter will be given a runway against other untried candidates like Adem Yze, Daniel Giansiracusa or Ashley Hansen.

Word around football is that McQualter is well-placed. If he can continue the Tigers’ climb post the bye, starting with a win over the Lions on prime-time Thursday Night Footy at the Gabba, his credentials for the job will be hard to ignore.

We know what it means if Richmond qualify for September: not only will it strike fear into the hearts of whoever faces them, but McQualter may just be the one to break the interim coach curse.

It could be that the sausages he’s cooking prove to be the recipe Richmond needs.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/06/19/fourth-times-a-charm-mcqualter-can-buck-the-interim-coach-curse-and-propel-richmond-back-to-a-flag-tilt/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2023, 11:34:57 PM »
Is Andrew McQualter a chance to win the Tigers job permanently, or should the club be wary of the caretaker curse?  #9FootyClassified

Click on pic/link:

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1670767517483307009

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2023, 01:42:47 PM »
"I think we need to take a breath on this one." - Luke Hodge.

Hodgey gives his take on Andrew McQualter's chances of winning the full-time Richmond job.

WATCH HERE: https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1670724314973507586