Author Topic: 2023 AFL Draft  (Read 37804 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: 2023 AFL Draft
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 02:07:30 PM »
I’m losing faith , we keep recruiting back flankers with our Nat draft picks in the last couple of years and all of them are average to below average at this stage
We then recruit key position players as rookies and late pick and wonder why they are average
No wonder we have sold the farm on players from other sides as we can develop our own and don’t have a plan to rebuild our side and imo that’s what we need to do , and they can’t all be back flankers

Vickery & CCJ made our recruiters gun shy.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2023, 03:08:11 PM »
Message to Recruiters; I get knocked down but I get up again , your never going to keep me down….. REPEAT 😁

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2023, 03:25:07 PM »
I’m losing faith , we keep recruiting back flankers with our Nat draft picks in the last couple of years and all of them are average to below average at this stage
We then recruit key position players as rookies and late pick and wonder why they are average
No wonder we have sold the farm on players from other sides as we can develop our own and don’t have a plan to rebuild our side and imo that’s what we need to do , and they can’t all be back flankers

Vickery & CCJ made our recruiters gun shy.... :shh

Vickery got us Bolton, genius move

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2023, 04:44:55 PM »
The only key forward listed in the Top 20 SA prospects by the Adelaide Advertiser.

14. Liam Fawcett (Central District)

Key forward, 18, 198cm, 87kg

RP: 104 (Under-18)

Fawcett has proven a difficult match-up for defenders – he’s hard to beat one out, terrific on the lead, and has the athletic ability to get up the ground and get his hands on the ball. The strong-marking tall has had 22 disposals or more in three of his eight under-18 matches this year and booted 18 goals, in a 213-ranking point display against West Adelaide, when he also recorded six score assists.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2023-south-australias-top-prospects-june-edition/news-story/8491417a66430abc31ccc957c6fc6202

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2023, 07:05:56 AM »
The only key forward listed in the Top 20 SA prospects by the Adelaide Advertiser.

14. Liam Fawcett (Central District)

Key forward, 18, 198cm, 87kg

RP: 104 (Under-18)

Fawcett has proven a difficult match-up for defenders – he’s hard to beat one out, terrific on the lead, and has the athletic ability to get up the ground and get his hands on the ball. The strong-marking tall has had 22 disposals or more in three of his eight under-18 matches this year and booted 18 goals, in a 213-ranking point display against West Adelaide, when he also recorded six score assists.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2023-south-australias-top-prospects-june-edition/news-story/8491417a66430abc31ccc957c6fc6202
Could double as a ‘tap’ ruckman🫣

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2023, 09:06:33 PM »
“My information is, and having watched some games already of the U18s, this is not a great draft,” Rendell told SEN SA’s The Run Home.

“I’ve watched the National Championships and I’m thinking there isn’t a whole lot of depth of this draft, so you don’t want to be having a whole lot of spots on your lists.”

Twomey instead suggested that while there was plenty of unknown for the upcoming draft, you can’t yet write off the talent.

“We don’t have that many tried and true midfielders in the first round this year, I think it’s a mix,” Twomey said on SEN Breakfast.

“We’ve got flankers, forwards, talls, some rucks and a couple of key defenders as well. Midfielders dominate draft years, the talls don’t generally, so that means that there’s a little more speck around them, but it could also mean they’re a little bit more special in the long run.

“I think what we’re seeing at the moment is a bit of a consensus on the top 10-12 and then it really opens up, which is generally the way around the mid-season… I like the top 10 though, I think there are some really good players in there.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/23/draft-experts-give-first-indication-into-quality-of-2023-class/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2023, 06:00:48 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2023, 03:41:52 PM »
Here's a Top 20 mock order from a draft watcher on BF: (our earliest pick is currently 26 unless we trade our way higher up the draft)

Top 15 is all pretty self explanatory for the names in there, amongst (respectable) amatuer watchers at the very least I don't think there's much variance in those names inside the top 15 at the moment. For mine, the top 4 have separated themselves from the following 10 or so, and at this stage I don't think there's much that could dislodge any of them, but of course others could push up in to make it a top 5/6/7/8/whatever. Harley is still number 1 for me as it stands, although I think it's valid for any of Walter, McKercher or Read to be there for people as well. The next lot is really tight, over the last two weeks I've probably had all possible combinations of the 5-11 group as my 'settled' rankings, all of them have some ridiculous positives and if you take an optimistic eye to the prospects, their best is worthy of being in the top 3. Wilson, Edwards, Croft and Freijah round out that settled top 15, none of them have really had anymore 'breakout' performances but have performed fairly consistently across state league/ champs games, with Friejah worthy of the special note that his repeated running efforts impressed me yesterday.

16-20 is more realistically a 16-30 at this stage, but I'm too stubborn to change from 20 to 30 so had to settle on 4. It's a group that isn't AS close as 5-11 in my eyes, but again that tier of prospects I can see the reasons for having in any order, with Luamon Lual, James Leake and Harry Demattia the 3 main guys that rotated in and out prior to settling on others.

Overall, as so often happens around the Champs, I'm more optimistic on the depth of this draft than I was a month ago and see some potential value pick ups into the third round, guys like Kade De La Rue, Lachie Charlson, Billy Wilson, Reece Torrent are a few I think are likely to last into the 40's that I'd be comfortable taking, but don't think the top end is as 'certain' as previous years.

Source: BF.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2023, 03:11:23 PM »
Top of the class, bolters and sliders: AFL draft state of play after champs

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/draft/afl-draft-2023-prospects-rankings-bolters-sliders-after-national-championships-stats-luamon-lual-western-bulldogs/news-story/51e1f87bd14058eaa9acc0f83e1a817e

Lengthy article but it reviews about 35 potential draftees. Likely some of them will still be available around at our first pick (in the second round).

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2023, 08:42:22 PM »
I feel a medium HBF is on the cards.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2023, 08:58:19 PM »
Thought Caddy was a mid/fwd  :huh

Could get him or Sanders if we do the GC deal -  still reckon Sanders might slide due to his lack of pace though they said on FC(yeah I know) last night that Norf are into him apparently good mates with Sheezel and wants to go there.... :shh

I feel a medium HBF is on the cards.

Nathan Philactides is a Matt Clarke special if ever there was. :shh :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2023, 03:35:51 AM »
AFL Draft 2023 power rankings: The top 30 prospects after national under-18 championships

The under-18 national carnival is over and the AFL Draft order is taking shape. See the bolters, sliders and latest intel in our top 30 power rankings.

Chris Cavanagh
HeraldSun
July 19, 2023

AFL DRAFT POWER RANKINGS - JULY

1. Harley Reid
Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country
Midfielder-Forward, 185cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 19.5 disposals (12.5 contested), 4.3 marks, 6.5 clearances, 3.8 inside-50s, 2.5 tackles, 6.3 score involvements, 1.3 goals, 112 ranking points (4 games)

The No.1 pick fancy since the middle of last year hasn’t lost his spot after a strong national championships with Vic Country which saw him win the side’s MVP award. Reid entered the tournament a touch underdone following a lay-off after a concussion in May. However, he impressed with his work both forward and through the midfield. Reid has proven his versatility in a range of positions, but is best used as a midfielder-forward like Dustin Martin. He is a similar power athlete with core strength, a signature fend off, breakaway pace and silky skills. As it stands, the boy from Tongala is looking at a move to wooden-spoon favourite West Coast.

2. Jed Walter
Gold Coast Suns Academy/Allies
Forward, 195cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 13 disposals, 7 marks, 2.8 contested marks, 7.5 score involvements, 2.8 goals, 104 ranking points (4 games)

Some recruiters would select Walter ahead of Reid if they had pick 1 in this year’s draft, which is saying something. The power key forward was as eye-catching as anyone through the national championships, proving more than a handful for opposition defenders. Given his size and strength, Walter looks ready to go at AFL level and is expected to play some VFL football for Gold Coast in the second half of the year. Walter is still working on his goalkicking accuracy – which sat at 44 per cent during the national championships – but his competitive edge and will to defend are two areas of his game that he has already mastered. The Suns are certain to match a very early bid on their Academy prospect.

3. Colby McKercher
Tasmania Devils/Allies
Midfielder, 182cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 32.8 disposals (9.3 contested), 5.8 marks, 5 inside-50s, 7.8 ground ball gets, 4 tackles, 8.3 score involvements, 0.8 goals, 1.8 score assists, 150 ranking points (4 games)

Recruiters label McKercher as a “superstar” and don’t hesitate to peg him as a firm top-five prospect in this year’s draft. The Tasmanian has been described as a faster version of Essendon captain Zach Merrett and not only possesses speed but also has great agility, a damaging left-foot kick and elite decision making. McKercher has shown an ability to push forward and kick goals from the midfield this year, which is another trait that sets him apart. He was best afield in the Allies’ final match of the national championships against Vic Country, booting two goals to go with 33 disposals and nine clearances in a performance that attracted plenty of attention.

4. Ethan Read
Ruckman, 200cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 21.5 disposals, 7.5 marks, 13 hitouts (3 to advantage), 2.5 clearances, 5.5 score involvements, 3 tackles, 0.5 score assists, 0.3 goals, 119 ranking points (4 games)

Read has been described as a “unicorn”, with players of his size, running ability and skills incredibly rare to come across. Allies coach Mark McVeigh likens Read to Geelong’s Mark Blicavs, who has featured as a ruckman, key defender and even midfielder across his AFL career. The Suns Academy product runs a 2km time trial in under six minutes, is a great kick of the ball, has a big leap, takes plenty of marks around the ground and rarely wastes the footy. All those attributes mean that, like Blicavs, Read could end up playing anywhere at the next level.

5. Zane Duursma
Gippsland Power/Vic Country
Midfielder-Forward, 189cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 15.3 disposals (7.3 contested), 3.8 marks, 4 inside-50s, 2.8 clearances, 3.5 tackles, 6.3 score involvements, 1.5 score assists, 1.8 goals, 115 ranking points (4 games)

Duursma left his best for last in the national championships, producing a monster final game for Vic Country which turned plenty of heads. Playing almost exclusively as a mid-sized forward, Duursma was at his damaging best as he recorded 15 score involvements, six score assists and kicked four goals from his 22 disposals and 10 marks. He finished with 191 SuperCoach ranking points, making it the second-highest rated game of any player during the tournament. The younger brother of Port Adelaide’s Xavier, Duursma has fans as the very pointy end of the draft given the sizeable X-Factor he possesses. He has high football IQ, is strong overhead, is an elite runner, has a nice side-step through traffic and is as dangerous around goals as anyone in this year’s draft class.

6. Daniel Curtin
Claremont/Western Australia
Midfielder/Defender, 195cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 23.5 disposals, 6.5 marks, 5.8 intercept possessions, 3.3 inside-50s, 3.5 clearances, 4.5 tackles, 3.5 score involvements, 0.3 goals, 137 ranking points (4 games)

Described as “ultra-professional”, Curtin caught the eyes of recruiters in the under-17 Futures match on the MCG on Grand Final Day last year. There he won the best-on-ground medal after a dominant display while playing as a rebounding defender for Team Houli. Curtin impressed while playing on power key forward Jed Walter in the first match of this year’s national championships, before being thrown into a midfield role across the rest of the tournament. He has great speed and agility for his size, rarely wastes a disposal and reads the play well. While Curtin is expected to begin an AFL career as a backman, he has shown enough to suggest he could become a tall, big-bodied midfielder in time.

7. Ryley Sanders
Sandringham Dragons/Allies
Midfielder, 186cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 35.8 disposals (14.5 contested), 6.3 marks, 5.8 inside 50s, 5 clearances, 4 tackles, 8.3 score involvements, 1.5 score assists, 1 goal, 170 ranking points (4 games)

A prolific ball-winning midfielder, Sanders took out the Larke Medal as the best player of the under-18 national championships to follow in the footsteps of the likes of Will Ashcroft, Sam Walsh and Christian Petracca. Originally from Tasmania, he is a bull in the contest and has improved his fitness this year to become more damaging on the spread. Coaches rave about Sanders’ character, leadership and selflessness to bring others into the game. He gets to the right spots, is clean by hand and foot and is becoming more explosive with his movements, which has seen Sanders draw some comparisons to Port Adelaide’s Jason Horne-Francis.

8. Nick Watson
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
Forward, 170cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 12.3 disposals, 3.3 marks, 1 clearance, 7.3 score involvements, 1 tackle, 1 score assist, 3.5 goals, 97 ranking points (4 games)

What he lacks in height, Watson makes up for in pure footy smarts and skills. He was the leading goalkicker in the under-18 national championships with 14 majors – three more than Allies key forwards Jed Walter and Charlie McCormack. While small forwards aren’t normally picked high in the draft order, Watson is certain to be among the first dozen selections in November. He is quick, agile, reads the play well, uses his body to perfection in marking contests and has unrivalled goal sense. Watson kicked five goals in a half in Vic Metro’s national championships match against Western Australia and made the most of limited opportunities to boot four majors against Vic Country in the last game. He has also looked good playing as a rebounding halfback at stages this season.

9. Connor O’Sullivan
Murray Bushrangers/Allies
Defender, 198cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 17.8 disposals, 8.3 marks, 2.5 intercept marks, 6.8 intercept possessions, 4 spoils, 3 rebound 50s, 99 ranking points (4 games)

O’Sullivan’s stocks rose significantly during the under-18 national championships, with the Albury product bolting into top-10 calculations. He won the MVP award for the Allies, which says something given the top-end talent in that side this year. A strong-marking tall, O’Sullivan has played as both a key forward and a key defender over the past two years but looks best suited to a role down back. There he reads the play well, has an exciting leap, possesses the speed to go with opponents on the lead, is strong in one-on-one contests and backs himself to drop off an intercept when appropriate. O’Sullivan also has leadership qualities and was made captain for the Allies’ second match.

10. Jake Rogers
Midfielder, 172cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 22.5 disposals, 5.5 clearances, 4.8 inside 50s, 2.3 marks, 6.3 ground ball gets, 5.3 tackles, 5 score involvements, 1.3 score assists, 0.3 goals, 108 ranking points (4 games)

Some clubs say that Rogers is the cleanest player they have seen coming through the talent pathways. A dynamic and speedy midfielder, he gets from contest to contest and has incredibly clean hands which allows him not only to pick up the footy but also effectively get it to teammates on the outside. Rogers’ vision and creativity are other features of his game, along with his leadership. He was best on ground with 27 disposals (13 contested) and six clearances in the AFL Academy’s exhibition match against Carlton’s VFL side in May, proving he is ready to step up to the next level. Rogers has drawn comparisons to Gold Coast’s Touk Miller, but has also been labelled “as clean as Caleb Daniel”.

11. Darcy Wilson
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country
Midfielder, 185cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 16 disposals, 2.8 marks, 1.8 clearances, 4.3 inside-50s, 3 tackles, 6 score involvements, 1 goal, 79 ranking points (4 games)

A wingman or high half-forward, Wilson can run all day. He finished fifth among all the Victorian draft hopefuls in the YoYo test during pre-season testing in March and has put that athletic ability on show on a weekly basis throughout the season. Wilson takes the game on, has good football IQ, has pace to burn off the mark, is a thumping kick and regularly hits the scoreboard. He booted two goals in two of his national championships matches for Vic Country, while also having high numbers of score involvements across the tournament. If there has been one knock on Wilson, it is his competitiveness. However, he has been working to improve in that area.

12. Mitchell Edwards
Peel Thunder/Western Australia
Ruckman, 205cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 10 disposals (7 contested), 2 marks, 23 hitouts (8.7 to advantage), 2 clearances, 3.7 tackles, 0.3 goals, 94 ranking points (3 games)

The best pure ruckman in this year’s draft pool – if you exclude the versatile Ethan Read – is Edwards. He stood out as a bottom-age player in the national championships last year and backed up those performances as a top-age prospect this season. Edwards has impressive ruck craft, is a competitor, a strong overhead mark and quite mobile for his size. He still has plenty of development to come physically and from a running point of view, but looks near-certain to be a first-round draft pick regardless. Edwards was sorely missed by Western Australia in its last match of the championships, sitting out the match after suffering a concussion. However, he returned to the field for Peel Thunder in the WAFL Reserves on the weekend.

13. Nate Caddy
Northern Knights/Vic Metro
Forward, 192cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 11.7 disposals (6 contested), 3.7 marks, 1.3 contested marks, 4.7 tackles, 6 score involvements, 2 goals, 78 ranking points (3 games)

Pegged as a potential top-five prospect heading into the year, Caddy has perhaps dropped a few rungs after a quieter than expected national championships with Vic Metro. He missed the first match of the tournament through illness, having had an interrupted start to the season following a broken fibula in pre-season. But he still has all the makings of a very good AFL player. A Carlton fan, the Northern Knights product looks up to Charlie Curnow and some similarities are there in the way he plays. He has a vice-like grip overhead and strong athletic traits including an exciting natural leap. Caddy plays taller than he measures in at as a forward but has also shown an ability to play as a big-bodied midfielder in the Coates Talent League. Against Bendigo Pioneers in Round 11 he split his time between midfield and forward roles and finished with 25 disposals and six goals in a best-on-ground display. He is the nephew of two-time Richmond premiership player Josh Caddy.

14. Koltyn Tholstrup
Subiaco/Western Australia
Forward, 184cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 18.7 disposals, 6 marks, 1.3 contested marks, 2 tackles, 6.7 score involvements, 1.3 score assists, 0.3 goals, 88 ranking points (3 games)

One of Western Australia’s best players across each of his three national championships matches, Tholstrup has left himself firmly in the frame to be a first-round draft selection. He missed Western Australia’s first match against the Allies with a back issue, but returned with a bang to log 21 disposals, eight marks and a goal against South Australia. Tholstrup generally plays as a high half-forward but can also have stints through the midfield. Tholstrup has a fierce competitive edge, is fearless in the contest, has excellent game sense, is a penetrating kick and has some real polish in his game. Hailing from Esperance in regional WA, Tholstrup has also proven himself against men this season, playing regular senior WAFL football for Subiaco.

15. Ollie Murphy
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
Defender, 200cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 11.3 disposals, 4.5 marks, 2.3 intercept marks, 5.3 intercept possessions, 4 rebound 50s, 3.8 spoils, 1.5 tackles, 74 ranking points (4 games)

A first-round draft bolter, Murphy took out Vic Metro’s MVP award after an exceptional under-18 national championships campaign in defence. He had played as a forward and back-up ruckman in his bottom-age season last year. However, Murphy has taken to his new role as a key defender in 2023 like a duck to water. While still lightly framed, the Sandringham Dragons product is viewed as a “high reward” prospect given his ability to win the ball back, while he also kicks the footy well for a player of his size, is a strong runner and is ultra-competitive. Murphy was given some big jobs during the national championships – including on top key-forward prospect Jed Walter – and rose to those challenges.

... Continues next post:

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2023, 03:36:32 AM »
Continues from previous post ...

16. Riley Hardeman
Swan Districts/Western Australia
Defender, 185cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 18.5 disposals, 5.8 marks, 2.3 intercept marks, 4.5 intercept possessions, 6.3 rebound 50s, 1.8 tackles, 90 ranking points (4 matches)

A left-footed rebounding defender, Hardeman led from the front as captain of Western Australia during the national championships. It was well known entering the year that he had great speed and was a booming and accurate kick, but Hardeman has also been able to add another element to his game this season with his strong overhead marking. Hardeman played in a WAFL Colts premiership for Swan Districts in 2021, still aged 16. He has also been exposed to senior WAFL football with the Black Swans this season.

17. Will McCabe
Central District/South Australia
Defender, 197cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 11.3 disposals, 3.3 marks, 4.3 intercept possessions, 2.3 rebound 50s, 3.3 tackles, 7.3 spoils, 95 ranking points (3 games)

Shaping as South Australia’s top draft prospect, McCabe was an All-Australian at under-16 level last year and has gone on to build a strong top-age season. The son of former Hawthorn star Luke McCabe – who played 138 games for the club – he is yet to officially nominate as a father-son for the Hawks but is expected to attract a first-round bid if he does. A tall defender, McCabe is a competitive player who has a good natural leap, is nice overhead mark and wins plenty of one-on-one battles. He is quite athletic, can play on talls or smalls and is an elite reader of the play. McCabe missed South Australia’s second match of the under-18 championships with groin soreness, but returned to play his best game against Vic Country with 19 disposals, six marks and six spoils.

18. Joel Freijah
GWV Rebels/Vic Country
Midfielder, 191cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 12.3 disposals, 2.8 marks, 0.8 clearances, 1.8 tackles, 3.8 score involvements, 0.8 goals, 60 ranking points (4 games)

An athletic wingman at a good height, there is a lot to like about Freijah. He is an elite runner, has a strong body, possesses great composure, is clean below his knees and kicks the ball beautifully. During pre-season testing, Freijah ran a time of 2.98 seconds in the 20 metre sprint to highlight his speed, while he also holds his width when playing on a wing. Freijah caught the eye of scouts across the competition when he was best-on-ground for the Rebels in a Coates Talent League clash against Dandenong in Round 4. That day he logged 26 disposals, six clearances and kicked six goals in a best-on-ground performance, playing primarily on one wing. While his national championships campaign with Vic Country wasn’t quite to that level, he remains in the frame to be a top-20 selection.

19. Archer Reid
Gippsland Power/Vic Country
Forward, 203cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 8.8 disposals, 4.5 marks, 1 contested mark, 1 tackle, 5.5 score involvements, 1 goal, 63 ranking points (4 games)

The younger brother of Essendon defender Zach Reid, this towering Gippsland Power product plays at the other end of the ground. He is an exceptional overhead mark, reads the ball well in flight, is extremely mobile, good below his knees and has a strong natural goal sense. Reid was poised to make his VFL debut for Box Hill earlier this year but instead ended up going back to his local club Inverloch-Kongwak and booted 11 goals across two games in the seniors of the West Gippsland Football League. While he wasn’t able to string it all together during the national championships, he did impress early in Vic Country’s final match and finished with 8 disposals, 7 marks and 2.2. Reid isn’t ready to step straight into the AFL next year, but could provide a club with some serious long-term rewards.

20. Archie Roberts
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
Defender, 182cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 20.8 disposals, 3.8 marks, 1 intercept mark, 4.3 intercept possessions, 6 rebound 50s, 3.5 score involvements, 1.5 tackles, 87 ranking points (4 games)

A rebounding halfback with a bit of swagger about him, Roberts hasn’t put a foot wrong across his various football programs this year. He finds a way to have an impact week-in, week-out and was a key part of Vic Metro’s backline across the under-18 national championships. The left-footer is a damaging and penetrating kick, while he is also an elite runner who loves to play on and run and carry off halfback to break the lines. Roberts has also become a fine intercept player, while still being accountable to his man. He had 21 disposals as a bottom-age player in Sandringham’s premiership side last season and caught the eye with 17 disposals in the AFL Academy’s exhibition match against Carlton’s VFL side in May.

21. Cooper Simpson
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
Midfielder, 182cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 8 disposals, 2 marks, 1 clearance, 2 inside-50s, 2 score involvements, 33 ranking points (4 games)

A nasty corked thigh during Vic Country’s first match of the national championships sidelined Simpson for the rest of the tournament. But clubs haven’t forgotten about his talents and some still expect him to be a top-20 pick on draft night. The midfielder is a true professional and possess pace, composure, great finishing skills and a neat step through traffic. He works had both ways of the ball and has shown an ability to step up in the big moments as Dandenong’s captain. An AFL Academy member, Simpson played in exhibition matches against Port Adelaide’s SANFL side and Carlton’s VFL team earlier this year and has had a further taste of VFL football with Casey.

22. Nathan Philactides
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Defender, 181cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 17.8 disposals, 3 marks, 4.5 rebound 50s, 3 intercept possessions, 1.5 tackles, 0.5 spoils, 74 ranking points (4 games)

A former athletics ace who once ranked top-five in the world in his age group in the 400m hurdles, Philactides has some serious pace to burn off a halfback flank. His agility is just as impressive as his speed, with Philactides having ranked fifth in the agility test during Victorian pre-season testing this year. The left-footer describes himself as a “run and gun” defender who likes to tuck the ball under his arm, take off and then use his penetrating kick to further propel his team forward. Philactides, who was selected as a co-captain of the Chargers this season, looks up to similar players like Richmond’s Daniel Rioli and Carlton’s Adam Saad. While recruiters would like to see Philactides continue to work on his one-on-one defending, his weapons certainly excite.

23. Jordan Croft
Calder Cannons/Vic Metro
Forward, 200cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 9.3 disposals, 3.3 marks, 1.7 tackles, 6 score involvements, 1.3 goals, 68 ranking points (3 games)

Another year, another talented tall linked to the Western Bulldogs. Croft is the son of former Bulldogs key defender Matthew Croft but is making his name as a marking and goalkicking key forward and is available as a father-son prospect this year. Rival clubs expect a bid on Croft to come within the top-30 picks on draft night following a breakout season from the Calder Cannons product. While still lightly built, Croft is extremely mobile and athletic, leads well and marks the ball at the highest point, which makes him tough for opposition defenders to stop. Croft burst onto the scene with five goals against Northern Territory in Round 4 of the Coates Talent League and carried his form into the national championships, which started with three goals in Vic Metro’s first game against South Australia.

24. Koen Sanchez
East Fremantle/Western Australia
Midfielder-Forward, 176cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 17.8 disposals, 4.8 marks, 3.5 clearances, 2 inside-50s, 3.5 tackles, 6 score involvements, 1.5 goals, 102 ranking points (4 games)

A speedy half-forward or wingman, Sanchez has climbed up club draft boards on the back of an eye-catching national championships campaign for Western Australia. He had been playing significant midfield time in the WAFL Colts, but featured primarily across half-forward during the national championships and was able to show his forward craft, clean hands and ability to hit the scoreboard. Sanchez’ goalkicking accuracy of 35.3 per cent was the only thing that let him down during the tournament, but recruiters loved his speed, energy and lateral movement and believe he is ready to go at the next level as a high half-forward. Sanchez had missed matches with East Fremantle earlier in the season with a hip-flexor issue.

25. Ashton Moir
Glenelg/South Australia
Forward, 188cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 9.8 disposals, 3.3 marks, 3.3 score involvements, 1.5 score assists, 0.8 goals, 66 ranking points (4 games)

Considering he entered the year as a top-three prospect, Moir has been a significant slider among this year’s draft class. But given his enormous potential and what he showed in his bottom-age year, the mid-sized forward is still a good chance to be snapped up within the top-25 selections in November. Moir is a unique X-Factor player who can comfortably kick with either foot and is able to impact both in the air and at ground level. But after kicking 30 goals across 10 SANFL under-18 matches last year, he hasn’t been able to back up that form this season. Niggling hip issues earlier in the year didn’t help Moir’s cause, leading into a national championships where he both he and his team struggled. But if Moir can produce some strong performances back with Glenelg in the back half of the year, he could climb back up the rankings again.

26. Logan Morris
Western Jets/Vic Metro
Forward, 192cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 12.3 disposals, 5.3 marks, 1.3 contested marks, 0.5 tackles, 4 score involvements, 1 goal, 70 ranking points (4 games)

There was some surprise around Princes Park when Morris went almost unsighted in the final game of the national championships with Vic Metro. But there was a reason for that – he went into the game ill. The previous week Morris had put his full potential on show against Western Australia, logging 16 disposals, 11 marks (five contested), 12 score involvements and kicking 4.1 in a performance that was the talk of the town. At 192cm, Morris has been likened to St Kilda’s Tim Membrey given he is more of a second or third tall than a key forward. But he has a nice vertical leap which helps him compete against taller opponents and a strong pair of hands overhead. Morris is also capable of playing in defence and will be a close watch for a lot of clubs in the second half of the season.

27. George Stevens
GWV Rebels/Vic Country
Midfielder, 189cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 19.3 disposals, 2.3 marks, 3.8 clearances, 3 inside-50s, 6.3 tackles, 4.5 score involvement, 0.5 goals, 115 ranking points (4 games)

A strong-bodied midfielder who has also spent time across halfback this year, Stevens has some clear strengths. Coming off an ACL injury which saw him sidelined for the entirety of 2022, he made an immediate impact slotting back into the fold at the Rebels in the Coates Talent League earlier this year. Stevens a contested ball beast, wins plenty of ground balls, is a penetrating kick, has clean hands, makes good decisions and reads the ball well when playing behind the ball. He’s also a natural leader who captained the AFL Academy in its match against Port Adelaide’s SANFL side in April. The one question mark over Stevens and his ability to play through the midfield is his lack of speed. That will means some clubs are less keen than others, but what scouts do know is they will be getting a quality person and true professional if they do pick Stevens.

28. Will Patton
West Adelaide/South Australia
Defender, 193cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 17 disposals, 4.8 marks, 1.3 intercept marks, 5.5 rebound 50s, 1.5 tackles, 4 spoils, 91 ranking points (4 games)

A composed left-footed defender, Patton captained South Australia’s team for the under-18 national championships and has drawn some comparisons to Hawthorn rising star Will Day. Patton has shown an ability to play on both medium and taller opposition forwards and not only reads the play well but also makes good decisions and uses the footy exceptionally well by hand and foot when he does win it back. A state representative in cricket as a junior, Patton has sharpened his focus on football in recent years but will be sidelined for the remainder of this year as he undergoes shoulder surgery.

29. Harry De Mattia
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
Midfielder-Forward, 184cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 14.3 disposals, 2 marks, 5 inside-50s, 2.3 clearances, 4 tackles, 3 score involvements, 73 ranking points (4 games)

Another former junior cricket star who represented Victoria, De Mattia impressed recruiters during the national championships with Vic Country. He showed off his explosive speed breaking away from the contest, as well as nice agility, clean hands and his pressure game. De Mattia was also deployed in a different role in the backline during the final match of the tournament and didn’t look out of place. Dual-sport athletes have some added appeal to clubs given their ability to learn, which could enhance De Mattia’s prospects later in the year.

30. Clay Hall
Peel Thunder/Western Australia
Midfielder, 188cm
U18 National Championships Averages: 27.3 disposals, 43.5 marks, 4.5 inside-50s, 6 clearances, 5.3 tackles, 3.5 score involvements, 111 ranking points (4 games)

A staple in Western Australia’s midfield across the under-18 national championships, Hall only bolstered his draft rankings with a strong tournament. A WAFL Colts premiership winner with Peel Thunder as a bottom-age player last year, he stepped up to senior WAFL football earlier this season and did not look out of place. Hall’s work ethic on and off the field stands out, he has a good balance with his ability to win the ball on the inside and outside of the contest and he uses his strength to win plenty of ground balls. He is the son of former West Coast and Geelong forward Derek Hall, but is not eligible under father-son rules given his father played only two games for the Eagles and 74 matches for the Cats.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2023-power-rankings-the-top-30-prospects-after-national-under18-championships/news-story/9739edaf94e1d80bb063de83a4056876

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2023, 06:38:20 PM »
Could get him or Sanders if we do the GC deal -  still reckon Sanders might slide due to his lack of pace though they said on FC(yeah I know) last night that Norf are into him apparently good mates with Sheezel and wants to go there.... :shh
Norf trying to get the AFL to massively bend the rules so they can get Sanders for free via their NGA.

Roo connection in draftees

Top-ten pick Ryley Sanders has a strong connection to the Roos through his former Sandringham teammate Harry Sheezel which has strengthened his desire to get to Arden Street.

Sanders has proved he has Indigenous heritage, which will help the Roos’ submission to the AFL to put him in their NGA academy and potentially allow them to pre-list him ahead of the draft. It would require the league to bend its own draft rules quite significantly, but the Roos need draft help so it might as well be with a player who is keen to land at Arden Street.

Sandringham Dragons talent manager Mark Wheeler said the pair had become firm friends after playing together last year.

“He has a great relationship with Harry Sheezel at North Melbourne. Him and Harry really get along well and Harry reaches out each week,’’ Wheeler said. “He has had a fair bit of growth. His extraction skills are elite but he is really driving through traffic now. He reminds me of Jason Horne-Francis and he is modelling his game on him. He is a big strong boy and he stands up in the tackle.”

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/moneyball-the-latest-contract-updates-and-trade-news-in-the-afl/news-story/3f04e1276391cdb0b19aa01de4b0f19e

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2023, 07:48:19 PM »
Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide: Top draft prospects' July ranking

1. Harley Reid ............... 17/04/05   185cm  85kg     Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country               Midfield/forward
2. Jed Walter ................ 08/06/05   195cm  94kg     Gold Coast Academy/Palm Beach/Allies  Key forward
3. Nick Watson ............. 24/02/05    170cm  68kg     Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro                    Forward
4. Colby McKercher ....... 12/04/05    182cm  76kg     Tasmania/Launceston/Allies                 Midfielder
5. Daniel Curtin ............ 08/03/05    195cm  94kg     Claremont/Western Australia               Key defender/forward   
6. Zane Duursma .......... 20/08/05    189cm  80kg     Gippsland Power/Vic Country               Midfielder/forward
7. Nate Caddy .............. 14/07/05    192cm  91kg     Northern Knights/Vic Metro                  Key forward/midfielder
8. Ethan Read .............. 07/07/05    200cm  88kg     Gold Coast Academy/Palm Beach/Allies  Ruck
9. Ryley Sanders .......... 21/01/05    186cm  85kg     Tasmania/Sandringham Dragons/Allies  Midfielder
10. Connor O'Sullivan ... 19/05/05    198cm  92kg      Murray Bushrangers/Allies                   Key defender/forward
11. Jake Rogers ........... 02/03/05    172cm  69kg     Gold Coast Academy/Broadbeach/Allies  Midfielder
12. Darcy Wilson .......... 18/08/05    185cm  73kg     Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country           Midfielder/forward
13. Jordan Croft ........... 12/05/05    201cm  80kg      Calder Cannons/Vic Metro                    Key forward
14. Mitch Edwards ........ 02/06/05    206cm  88kg     Peel Thunder/Western Australia             Ruck
15. Will McCabe ........... 29/09/05    197cm  81kg     Central District/South Australia             Key defender/forward
16. Ollie Murphy .......... 16/09/05    200cm  85kg      Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro           Key defender
17. Archie Roberts ....... 18/11/05    184cm  77kg      Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro           Defender
18. Riley Hardeman ..... 27/02/05    188cm  80kg      Swan Districts/Western Australia           Midfielder
19. Harry DeMattia ...... 11/09/05    184cm  77kg      Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country         Midfielder/forward
20. Will Green ............. 08/09/05    204cm  89kg      Northern Knights/Vic Metro                   Ruck

https://www.afl.com.au/news/981930/cal-twomey-s-phantom-form-guide-top-draft-prospects-july-ranking