Author Topic: Socceroos / Matildas / World Cup / Asian Cup  (Read 156456 times)

gerkin greg

Re: Socceroos / World Cup / Asian Cup
« Reply #435 on: January 07, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »
Melbourne gets to host the 2015 opening ceremony and opening game while Sydney gets the final. No surprise there thanks to the FFA  ::).

"smell the fear"  :lol
Another conspiracy against the Vics. You're becoming as bad as South Australians  :shh

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #436 on: January 07, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »
You want to go WA then. It's them V the rest of oz   :outtahere
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

« Reply #437 on: January 07, 2011, 03:18:41 PM »
 :lol
Never been to WA. Heard it's full of perverts.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #438 on: January 07, 2011, 06:18:26 PM »
Melbourne gets to host the 2015 opening ceremony and opening game while Sydney gets the final. No surprise there thanks to the FFA  ::).

"smell the fear"  :lol
Another conspiracy against the Vics. You're becoming as bad as South Australians  :shh
No conspiracy. I just believe the city that supports Soccer the most in terms of attendance should be rewarded with hosting the final. Although I understand the reasons I'd be more ticked off if I was a South Aussie who miss out on games altogether.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

gerkin greg

« Reply #439 on: January 08, 2011, 12:21:11 AM »
Would you support Sydney FC if you lived in Sydney  :shh

A-League attendances are irrelevant to Socceroos attendances (NSW has 3 sides BTW and has since inception and combined crowds outstrip the Victory)

NSW is the soccer heartland, Sydney just despises Glamour Jew FC

Who was the last world class Vic soccer player....... The V-Bomber

And before that? Who do we have now?

Victoria doesn't have a big enough rectangular stadium anyway to host a final. The 'G does soccer no justice, nor should it.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #440 on: January 09, 2011, 07:59:11 AM »
Would you support Sydney FC if you lived in Sydney  :shh

A-League attendances are irrelevant to Socceroos attendances (NSW has 3 sides BTW and has since inception and combined crowds outstrip the Victory)

NSW is the soccer heartland, Sydney just despises Glamour Jew FC

Who was the last world class Vic soccer player....... The V-Bomber

And before that? Who do we have now?

Victoria doesn't have a big enough rectangular stadium anyway to host a final. The 'G does soccer no justice, nor should it.
The following are Victorians  :wallywink

Viduka
Bresciano
Grella
Skoko played at youth level at North Geelong
Culina played in youth teams at St Albans & Melb Knights
Kennedy
Colosimo
McDonald
Ognenovski
Špiranović
Leckie

After 6000 at Sydney last night I wouldn't be bagging Melbourne crowds if I came from the Emerald city lol. Btw there are two teams in Melbourne now and the combined home crowds are greater than the 3 NSW teams combined ;) plus Newcastle isn't Sydney.

How about basketball if we are talking global team sports - 35% of Australia's registered players are in Melbourne's southeast and the Bogie comes from Melbourne. Patrick comes from Canberra and played Aussie Rules as well as basketball as a kid. Ummm Sydney at one stage didn't even have a team in the NBL.

Yep that bloody AFL and Victoria is taking all the talent away from international sports  :wallywink :lol.

gerkin greg

« Reply #441 on: January 09, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »
The following are Victorians  :wallywink

Bresciano
Grella
Skoko played at youth level at North Geelong
Culina played in youth teams at St Albans & Melb Knights
Kennedy
Colosimo
McDonald
Ognenovski
Špiranović
Leckie

I asked for world class players not players from Victoria  :wallywink
I'm well versed on our international soccer players thanks.
None of those listed are of the class and calibre of Cahill, Kewell or Schwarzer.
Skoko is a South Australian BTW.

After 6000 at Sydney last night I wouldn't be bagging Melbourne crowds if I came from the Emerald city lol. Btw there are two teams in Melbourne now and the combined home crowds are greater than the 3 NSW teams combined ;) plus Newcastle isn't Sydney.

I don't come from the Emerald City and I'm not bagging Melbourne crowds. Fact is NSW was given 3 teams when the A-League was created and Victoria only 1. Why is that? I have no problems with NSW hosting the Asian Cup Final, I think they deserve it. Vics get a bee in their bonnet whenever major sporting events go to other cities. Why? As paranoid as South Australians  :lol

How about basketball if we are talking global team sports - 35% of Australia's registered players are in Melbourne's southeast and the Bogie comes from Melbourne. Patrick comes from Canberra and played Aussie Rules as well as basketball as a kid. Ummm Sydney at one stage didn't even have a team in the NBL.

What does basketball have to do with soccer  ???  :wallywink

Yep that bloody AFL and Victoria is taking all the talent away from international sports  :wallywink :lol.

Where did I support that opinion? You must have me confused with someone else  :wallywink
You seem to have gotten your knickers in a twist about that twit saying Vics/AFL are stealing our cricket talent and brought it into this argument about who should host the Asian Cup.  :wallywink

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #442 on: January 09, 2011, 11:41:01 AM »
" :wallywink"

;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #443 on: January 11, 2011, 06:08:34 AM »
Socceroos beat India 4-0 overnight. Timmy Cahill scored a brace with Kewell and Holman the other goalscorers.

Group C
                 Pl W D L F A GD Pts
Australia       1 1 0 0 4 0 +4   3
South Korea  1 1 0 0 2 1 +1   3
Bahrain         1 0 0 1 1 2 –1   0
India            1 0 0 1 0 4 –4   0

gerkin greg

« Reply #444 on: January 11, 2011, 08:49:28 AM »
Should have been 5 goals, with a hat trick for Timmy, clearly onside, poor refereeing.
India's keeper was good, could have been 7-8 goals.
And their captain CLIMAX  :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #445 on: January 11, 2011, 09:26:04 AM »
I asked for world class players not players from Victoria  :wallywink
I'm well versed on our international soccer players thanks.
None of those listed are of the class and calibre of Cahill, Kewell or Schwarzer.
Skoko is a South Australian BTW.
Skoko was born in Mt Gambier but he played his junior soccer in Victoria (North Geelong).

As for world class players I guess it depends on your definition of world class. For mine there has never been an Aussie I would call world class. Messi, Nani, Fabregas, Iniesta, Robben, Drogba, etc are world class. I love Timmy Cahill and the way he plays but he ain't in that group. When an Aussie starts starring for the likes of Barca, Madrid, Man U, Milan clubs then they'll be world class. Australian soccer players are technically deficient compared to the best. Viduka and Kewell were/are our most technically gifted players. If you mean playing on the world stage in one of the big leagues in Europe as being world class then Bresciano and Grella playing in Serie A and Viduka in EPL would easily fit in that category.

I don't come from the Emerald City and I'm not bagging Melbourne crowds. Fact is NSW was given 3 teams when the A-League was created and Victoria only 1. Why is that? I have no problems with NSW hosting the Asian Cup Final, I think they deserve it. Vics get a bee in their bonnet whenever major sporting events go to other cities. Why? As paranoid as South Australians  :lol
And Qld has 3 teams as well and Brisbane is getting bigger soccer crowds than Sydney. So Brisbane should host the Asian Cup final based on that theory ;).

You say why did I bring up basketball in a soccer thread and then you bring up major sporting events in general to bag Victorians as paranoid whingers  :wallywink. Based on media stories such as the one in the other thread you'll find the paranoia these days is coming from east of the Blue Mountains especially from the Daily Telegraph.

Anyway as far as soccer in Oz goes, Melbourne supports the code where it matters - bums on seats and membership at both domestic and international matches. In modern professional sport, bigger crowd support means bigger and better sponsors = $$$. That's why the AFL is the biggest and wealthiest sport in the country. Having the most 8-12 year olds running around on a Sat/Sun means diddly squat as soccer's large participation levels in Oz have never converted into attendance, sponsorship or a financial powerbase. I don't have an issue with major sporting events being hosted in Sydney - Olympics, World Cup rugby, etc - as Sydney supports them very well. Geez I would love Sydney to host the AFL Grand Final every so often (unless Richmond was playing) to promote Aussie Rules in the land of the infidel  ;D. I just believe when the Victory get 3 times the crowd Sydney did on the weekend it shows which city supports the code the most and where it matters and that support should be rewarded when it comes to major soccer tournaments. Even Adelaide and Brisbane have larger crowds now than Sydney. When the FFA tried to introduce a second Sydney side in the self-proclaimed "heartland" of Aussie soccer in Western Sydney they couldn't even generate the necessary finances to even get a club started  :wallywink. Sydney is Rugby League heartland just as Melbourne is Aussie Rules heartland. Soccer just has much larger participation levels than both footy and NRL in each respective state.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #446 on: January 11, 2011, 09:30:25 AM »
Should have been 5 goals, with a hat trick for Timmy, clearly onside, poor refereeing.
Yep Timmy was robbed.

Aussies went through the motions in the second half. No need to peak in the first game.

Climax Lawrence - where did his parents pull that name from in India!   :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climax_Lawrence

gerkin greg

« Reply #447 on: January 11, 2011, 12:08:31 PM »
Skoko was born in Mt Gambier but he played his junior soccer in Victoria (North Geelong).

As for world class players I guess it depends on your definition of world class. For mine there has never been an Aussie I would call world class. Messi, Nani, Fabregas, Iniesta, Robben, Drogba, etc are world class. I love Timmy Cahill and the way he plays but he ain't in that group. When an Aussie starts starring for the likes of Barca, Madrid, Man U, Milan clubs then they'll be world class. Australian soccer players are technically deficient compared to the best. Viduka and Kewell were/are our most technically gifted players. If you mean playing on the world stage in one of the big leagues in Europe as being world class then Bresciano and Grella playing in Serie A and Viduka in EPL would easily fit in that category.

Viduka was world class, no doubt about it. If you read my post I said that.
Kewell, Dukes, Cahill, Schwarsy, Bozza have all starred on the European and/or International stage and could have got a game for any big club. They are or were world class players in my def. Bresca and Grella play for two of the pootest clubs in Italy and whilst good players are not greats.

And junior soccer in Geelong does not make a Victorian  :wallywink

You say why did I bring up basketball in a soccer thread and then you bring up major sporting events in general to bag Victorians as paranoid whingers  :wallywink. Based on media stories such as the one in the other thread you'll find the paranoia these days is coming from east of the Blue Mountains especially from the Daily Telegraph.

No seriously, what has basketball got to do with anything? Victorians being paranoid is entirely relevant  :lol

And Qld has 3 teams as well and Brisbane is getting bigger soccer crowds than Sydney. So Brisbane should host the Asian Cup final based on that theory ;).  Anyway as far as soccer in Oz goes, Melbourne supports the code where it matters - bums on seats and membership at both domestic and international matches. In modern professional sport, bigger crowd support means bigger and better sponsors = $$$. That's why the AFL is the biggest and wealthiest sport in the country. Having the most 8-12 year olds running around on a Sat/Sun means diddly squat as soccer's large participation levels in Oz have never converted into attendance, sponsorship or a financial powerbase. I don't have an issue with major sporting events being hosted in Sydney - Olympics, World Cup rugby, etc - as Sydney supports them very well. Geez I would love Sydney to host the AFL Grand Final every so often (unless Richmond was playing) to promote Aussie Rules in the land of the infidel  ;D. I just believe when the Victory get 3 times the crowd Sydney did on the weekend it shows which city supports the code the most and where it matters and that support should be rewarded when it comes to major soccer tournaments. Even Adelaide and Brisbane have larger crowds now than Sydney. When the FFA tried to introduce a second Sydney side in the self-proclaimed "heartland" of Aussie soccer in Western Sydney they couldn't even generate the necessary finances to even get a club started  :wallywink. Sydney is Rugby League heartland just as Melbourne is Aussie Rules heartland. Soccer just has much larger participation levels than both footy and NRL in each respective state.

No one likes Sydney FC. They've failed to engage the community and they waltz around the eastern suburbs like they are the Galacticos. Unlike Victory and to a lesser extent the Reds, they haven't been able to pull together all the different ethnic and supporter lines from the old NSL. It's failed because of Lowy and his jobs for the old Sydney City/Hakoah boys. All the old NSL supporters see FC as City, so they wont get behind them. The NSW Premier League on the other hand is well supported, so don't align A-league crowds with support for soccer in NSW. They'll eventually have 5 A-league teams if Lowy doesn't eff it all up. I don't know if Victoria or QLD could support 5 sides.

The fans also turn up in droves for Internationals. With a good opponent or something on the line, ANZ Stadium is always a near sellout, even against nothing sides or friendlies the place is well attended. eff, AUS v Uzbekistan drew 57k and it bucketed rain for days. 80k went and saw LA Galaxy in a club friendly FFS - that's more than turned up at the 'G for the Socceroos last game before the World Cup. The soccer final at the Sydney Olympics had over 100k. The support is there and the decision to host the Asian Cup Final there is justified IMO.

Regardless, the MCG is not a good soccer venue. Count your blessings you get the Opener  :rollin
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:52:24 PM by gerkin greg »

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #448 on: January 11, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »
Ahhh Gerks and MT, You guys are great! I love a good Ron Casey V Normie Rowe stoush! You are far more interesting than "Chicks with Pics".  ;D

As for Climax Lawrence, Maybe he is related in some way to Sheila Dikpoo (easy swear filter...Easy boy! Legitimate surname.) its Diksh1t not Dikpoo!!

Mods can we remove the word poo from the swear filter. We're not in the Bible belt dancing to songs from the footloose soundtrack. Even my Seven year old son thinks its the best sounding word he knows! Not that I totally approve, but if it can be said on prime time TV then I think we should allow it here.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #449 on: January 11, 2011, 01:08:50 PM »

That keeper was real good. One of those saves was amazing and he nearly got a finger to H's beauty of a strike. The dude won't be in the Indian league after this tourny. Some of the free kicks the Indian keeper got were a bit soft though. :-\ Indian crowd were great as well

Didn't like the commentary. Patronising twats