Author Topic: Socceroos / Matildas / World Cup / Asian Cup  (Read 156501 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Socceroos / World Cup / Asian Cup
« Reply #450 on: January 11, 2011, 01:15:18 PM »
And their captain CLIMAX  :lol
Climax Lawrence - where did his parents pull that name from in India!   :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climax_Lawrence

His father's name was Lawrence, actually.
Just before conception his mother said "hurry up and ......."
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

« Reply #451 on: January 11, 2011, 01:21:20 PM »
Andy Harper is a bag full of dried up ****s
One of those free kicks to the keeper where he actually copped a whack around the beak, Harps said there was nothing in it and it was friendly fire. Replays showed his teammate was nowhere near him and Jedinak clearly almost split the guy open with a raised arm around the face. Harps just ignored it and kept waffling on. He also said at one point Emerton had two assists and a goal.
Seriously ordinary bloke.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #452 on: January 11, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »
Mods can we remove the word poo from the swear filter. We're not in the Bible belt dancing to songs from the footloose soundtrack.

:lol

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #453 on: January 11, 2011, 01:23:17 PM »
Andy Harper is a bag full of dried up ****s
One of those free kicks to the keeper where he actually copped a whack around the beak, Harps said there was nothing it it and it was friendly fire. Replays showed his teammate was nowhere near him and Jedinak clearly almost split the guy open with a raised arm around the face. Harps just ignored it and kept waffling on. He also said at one point Emerton had two assists and a goal.
Seriously ordinary bloke.

Yeah, that free was definitely there. What the stuff was Jedinaks arm doing up there? You cant do that poo when the keeper is claiming a cross.

gerkin greg

« Reply #454 on: January 11, 2011, 01:28:41 PM »
I sometimes see the FoxSports guys down the pub and always make a point of saying gday to Trimmers, Bulldog and Bozza, and completely ignoring Harps.

Maybe Victory should sign that Indian keeper?

CLIMAX would def be a great replacement for Muscat too.

Offline Fruity Morgan

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #455 on: January 11, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »
I sometimes see the FoxSports guys down the pub and always make a point of saying gday to Trimmers, Bulldog and Bozza, and completely ignoring Harps.

Maybe Victory should sign that Indian keeper?

CLIMAX would def be a great replacement for Muscat too.

do you think we could get him to come?

gerkin greg

« Reply #456 on: January 11, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »
might have to work a couple of angles

Offline Fruity Morgan

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #457 on: January 11, 2011, 08:35:37 PM »
We'll be right as long as Ernie doesn't rub him the wrong way  :whistle

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #458 on: January 15, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
Viduka was world class, no doubt about it. If you read my post I said that.
Kewell, Dukes, Cahill, Schwarsy, Bozza have all starred on the European and/or International stage and could have got a game for any big club. They are or were world class players in my def. Bresca and Grella play for two of the pootest clubs in Italy and whilst good players are not greats.
Bresca played for Parma when they were finishing 5th in Serie A and qualifying for Europe comps. Likewise Palermo (the pink shirt wasn't a great look lol).  

And junior soccer in Geelong does not make a Victorian  :wallywink
So migrating to Australia when you're a very young kid doesn't make you an Aussie  :wallywink.

No one likes Sydney FC. They've failed to engage the community and they waltz around the eastern suburbs like they are the Galacticos. Unlike Victory and to a lesser extent the Reds, they haven't been able to pull together all the different ethnic and supporter lines from the old NSL. It's failed because of Lowy and his jobs for the old Sydney City/Hakoah boys. All the old NSL supporters see FC as City, so they wont get behind them. The NSW Premier League on the other hand is well supported, so don't align A-league crowds with support for soccer in NSW. They'll eventually have 5 A-league teams if Lowy doesn't eff it all up. I don't know if Victoria or QLD could support 5 sides.
You haven't read Ramps (10 Flags) harping on about his beloved South Melbourne Hellas for the past 6 years  ;D. Followers of the old NSL clubs don't follow the A-league down here either. As for the NSWPL being well supported - crowds of a thousand or so at best ain't much to write home about. No different to the VPL with South, Knights, Heidelberg and Preston. That's why the NSL went broke. Too many teams with little support.

The fans also turn up in droves for Internationals. With a good opponent or something on the line, ANZ Stadium is always a near sellout, even against nothing sides or friendlies the place is well attended. eff, AUS v Uzbekistan drew 57k and it bucketed rain for days. 80k went and saw LA Galaxy in a club friendly FFS - that's more than turned up at the 'G for the Socceroos last game before the World Cup. The soccer final at the Sydney Olympics had over 100k. The support is there and the decision to host the Asian Cup Final there is justified IMO.

Regardless, the MCG is not a good soccer venue. Count your blessings you get the Opener  :rollin
No one was saying that after the Iran '97 game or the farewell game before Germany 2006 against Greece which both attracted 95k. The great myth is that oval stadia make poor soccer stadia. Funny how half of all the World Cup finals have been played in them  ;). In any case once in a blue moon international games don't measure the week in week out support the game needs at club level to survive and thrive as you get mostly theatregoers attending wanting to be at a "event". That LA Galaxy game is the perfect example. If Beckham wasn't playing no one would have turned up to see the same two clubs play.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #459 on: January 15, 2011, 10:39:35 AM »
A good result for the Socceroos overnight. 1-1 will do against South Korea even if both goals were from defensive errors. Now all we need is a draw in the final group game against Bahrain to go through to the quarters.

W D L GD Pts
 Australia       1 1 0  +4  4
 South Korea  1 1 0  +1  4
 Bahrain         1 0 1  +2  3
 India           0 0 2  −7  0

10 FLAGS

« Reply #460 on: January 15, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
A good result for the Socceroos overnight. 1-1 will do against South Korea even if both goals were from defensive errors. Now all we need is a draw in the final group game against Bahrain to go through to the quarters.

W D L GD Pts

Now MT ... try and be sensible at least. Since when is a draw a good result? The problem Australia has is that the A League is producing poo. From what I can see Australian soccer is still living off the "Old Soccer" developed players. Complete and utter joke is New Football. ;D

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #461 on: January 15, 2011, 02:05:59 PM »
Draw was a good result  :-*

Few injuries though. Schwarzy :cheers That old idiot is always saving our ar$es

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #462 on: January 16, 2011, 05:16:52 PM »

W D L GD Pts

Now MT ... try and be sensible at least. Since when is a draw a good result? The problem Australia has is that the A League is producing poo. From what I can see Australian soccer is still living off the "Old Soccer" developed players. Complete and utter joke is New Football. ;D
As long as we pick up points and qualify from the group who cares how we do it. In football of any kind only results matter. You want to be peaking in the knockout stage of the tournament when winning individual matches count.

Don't worry Ramps, you old NSL fans can reminisce about winning the 2000 Oceania Nations Cup in front of 300 people or beating that Soccer powerhouse Tahiti in 1980 and 1996 while failing to qualify for any World Cup over 27 years  ;)  ;D.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #463 on: January 16, 2011, 06:59:21 PM »

W D L GD Pts

As long as we pick up points and qualify from the group who cares how we do it. In football of any kind only results matter. You want to be peaking in the knockout stage of the tournament when winning individual matches count.

Don't worry Ramps, you old NSL fans can reminisce about winning the 2000 Oceania Nations Cup in front of 300 people or beating that Soccer powerhouse Tahiti in 1980 and 1996 while failing to qualify for any World Cup over 27 years  ;)  ;D.

You've argued long and hard against that statement in the tanking debates  ;D :outtahere
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #464 on: January 16, 2011, 07:58:49 PM »

W D L GD Pts

lol

sorry ramps but thats funny
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.