Author Topic: Socceroos / Matildas / World Cup / Asian Cup  (Read 156405 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Socceroos / World Cup / Asian Cup
« Reply #1170 on: October 11, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »
Socceroos to play Honduras in the intercontinental playoff.

https://twitter.com/FIFAWorldCup/status/917933029443690497

Panana finished 3rd in the CONCACAF region while the USA lost to Trinidad and missed out lol.

tony_montana

« Reply #1171 on: October 12, 2017, 08:05:12 PM »
USA and Chile wow

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1172 on: October 31, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »
Ange has named the 25-man squad to play Honduras:

Behich, Cahill, Degenek, Gersbach, Goodwin, Irvine, Jedinak, Jeggo, Juric, Jurman, Kruse, Langerak (GK), Leckie, Luongo, McGowan, Milligan, Mooy, Risdon, Rogic, Rukavytsya, Ryan (GK), Sainsbury, Troisi, Vukovic (GK), Wright. 

Match Details:

2018 FIFA World Cup Intercontinental Play-off (CONCACAF-Asian Zone) 1st leg

Honduras v Socceroos
Friday 10 November 2017
Estadio Olímpico Metropolitano, San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Kick-off: 4pm (local); 9am (AEDT – Saturday 11 November 2017)

2018 FIFA World Cup Intercontinental Play-off (CONCACAF-Asian Zone) 2nd leg

Socceroos v Honduras
Wednesday 15 November 2017
Stadium Australia, Sydney, Australia
Kick-off: 8pm (AEDT)

Both matches will be broadcast LIVE on FOX SPORTS and the Nine Network.

https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/ange-names-25-man-caltex-socceroos-squad-honduras-play-off

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1173 on: November 03, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
Timmy Cahill injured his ankle tonight in the A-League. Right before the World Cup qualifying playoffs  :help.

Vision: https://twitter.com/ALeague/status/926381531026800640

dwaino

« Reply #1174 on: November 04, 2017, 02:52:53 AM »
Should have stayed home and rested for the first game regardless. Play for the draw away then play to win at home.

tony_montana

« Reply #1175 on: November 04, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »
What a sad state of affairs that we still poo ourselves when a 38 year old gets injured.

Why are there no strikers coming through? Midfielders and to a lesser extent defenders we still develop and have a number of reasonably talented options there, but strikers? Juric is the best of the lot and he’s a donkey.

Mclaren is Nowhere near it, even his one strength, his much vaunted pace is not enough to stand out at international level.

Taggart, doesn’t have one quality that stands out and says it might be a factor at international level.

The Greek guy? Forget his name, Nowhere near it even worse than Juric.

Something seriously wrong at grassroots level when no striker has come through the system for about 15-20 years.

dwaino

« Reply #1176 on: November 04, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »
What happened to Burns? I liked the look of him and has fallen away. I think McClaren is our best hope out of a crap bunch and hopefully he can learn something in the Bundesliga.

Socceroos needs new ideas though. I think we have some decent players but it’s like Ange is trying to force a system he wants to play rather than playing the team to its strengths. I thought the idea of a 352 or whatever it is he has us doing the idea is when you take control you move it quickly with the extra man in the midfield. Not this slow build up around the half way line only to get punished when we turn it over. If you take our best players and put them in their best positions we should be playing something closer to a 4231. Even if we make the world cup there is no way an Australian 3 man defence will hold up against the best in the world. We’d get eaten for breakfast.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1177 on: November 06, 2017, 01:31:32 AM »
TIM Cahill will fly to Honduras on Monday after his departure was delayed by a day to help him recover from an ankle injury.

The striker will be assessed by the Socceroos medical staff when he arrives in San Pedro Sula, but he remains a chance to play in Saturday morning’s World Cup qualifying away first leg.

X-rays and MRI scans cleared Cahill of serious injury, but the delay should limit the possibility of his ankle blowing up on the long-haul flight after straining his ligaments.

Like Mathew Leckie (hamstring), Bochum attacker Robbie Kruse (knee) will stay in Germany to continue rehabbing before joining the squad in Sydney for the second leg in 10 days.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/socceroos/tim-cahill-injury-news-australia-socceroos-v-honduras/news-story/96663220201b1c306476454ce1e6778f

tony_montana

« Reply #1178 on: November 06, 2017, 01:02:02 PM »
What happened to Burns? I liked the look of him and has fallen away. I think McClaren is our best hope out of a crap bunch and hopefully he can learn something in the Bundesliga.

Socceroos needs new ideas though. I think we have some decent players but it’s like Ange is trying to force a system he wants to play rather than playing the team to its strengths. I thought the idea of a 352 or whatever it is he has us doing the idea is when you take control you move it quickly with the extra man in the midfield. Not this slow build up around the half way line only to get punished when we turn it over. If you take our best players and put them in their best positions we should be playing something closer to a 4231. Even if we make the world cup there is no way an Australian 3 man defence will hold up against the best in the world. We’d get eaten for breakfast.

I was a big fan of Burns when he first came on the scene - stuffed his career up when he moved to AEK Athens in the greek league when he was about 20 and a super talent - spent a few years rotting away in their reserves and was never the same - revived his career a bit a few years back when we won the asian cup but truth be told was never the same player - he missed out on a couple of crucial development years.

Like you I feel that 4-2-3-1 is the system best suited to the calibre of players we have.

-------------------Ryan----------------------
Risdon----Sainsbury----Milligan----Behich/Gersbach
-----------Mooy ------------Jedinak-------------------
Leckie-------------Luongo---------------Rogic
--------------------Juric-------------------------------

We need more quality coming through at right back, we need another central defender to stand up as milligan is getting on.

I think our midfield stocks are very strong - Luongo is underrated and can play deeper in Jedinaks role which would allow a goal scoring midfielder like Irvine to start. Amini and Oikonomidis are talented and getting better so midfield quality and depth wise we're good - although apart from leckie we lack a wide pacy fwd/mid.

Fwds? Do you stick with juric who is scoring at club level or do you go for a pacy player like Rukavytsya/McLaren?

dwaino

« Reply #1179 on: November 06, 2017, 02:57:15 PM »
Amini is one of our most underrated players I think I and he never gets a go.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1180 on: November 11, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »
0-0 away from home in the first leg. The referee changed 'his' mind after awarding us a penalty thanks to the linesman putting up his flag but then gave Honduras a goal kick  :huh.

So it's all down to our home leg in Sydney. Win and we're in! Touchwood, it's not another Iran game and we give away dumb costly away goals  :banghead.  Anyway, Timmy and Troisi will both be playing as they weren't needed today according to Ange. Hopefully that means we can actually put a few in the back of the net ourselves  :pray.

tony_montana

« Reply #1181 on: November 12, 2017, 12:30:39 AM »
Do,infant performance and as good a performance as we've seen from the Socceroos for a while now, should've put the tie to bed and won by 2 or 3 but just couldn't score.

We will crush them in the return leg, they are crap

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1182 on: November 14, 2017, 01:07:26 PM »
we need an adelaide crows and Italia soccer team joint meme.

damo or one of u IT gurus see what you can come up with plz.

what a shambles italian soccer is.

:pray for italy

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

dwaino

« Reply #1183 on: November 14, 2017, 01:32:51 PM »
Going to be an interesting looking WC.

tony_montana

« Reply #1184 on: November 14, 2017, 01:54:03 PM »
No Holland
No Italy
No Chile