Author Topic: Socceroos / Matildas / World Cup / Asian Cup  (Read 156421 times)

tony_montana

Re: Socceroos / World Cup / Asian Cup
« Reply #1215 on: November 22, 2017, 08:07:35 PM »
I agree with you mate, he lost me when he stubbornly stuck to the 3 man backline and almost cost us a spot in the WC, a 4 man defence is the way we should go imv. But having said that, how much better did we look playing a 3 man defence with Jedinak marshalling the troops? maybe just maybe that was the way to go, I guess we'll never know now that he's quit. 

I don't think it should be seen as an excuse for the on field, he should own that as that was his call, but I do have some sympathy that in the end those issues did contribute to burning him out, sounds like he was doing too much in the background - Those are issues the national football director should be looking at, not the coach.

Football still has a way to go in this country, I just hope they don't stuff it all up over the next few weeks

dwaino

« Reply #1216 on: November 22, 2017, 08:56:11 PM »
Will definitely agree there with Jedinak. We sorely missed him through a crucial block of qualifiers when he was out injured. Ange did a great job sounding out guys like Luongo too. Remember the “wtf is Luongo?” When he was selected in front of Mooy for Asian Cup. Just not the man to take us any further. Stuff international managing anyway, sounds like he’s had his eye set on club managing for some time now.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

dwaino

« Reply #1218 on: November 28, 2017, 06:10:46 PM »
I welcome our new overlords.

dwaino

« Reply #1219 on: December 02, 2017, 06:01:31 AM »
France, Peru, Denmark. Nice!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1221 on: December 02, 2017, 06:28:06 AM »

16 June 2018 13:00 MSK (UTC+3)     France vs Australia            Kazan Arena, Kazan
21 June 2018 19:00 SAMT (UTC+4)   Denmark vs Australia         Cosmos Arena, Samara
26 June 2018 17:00 MSK (UTC+3)     Australia vs Peru               Fisht Olympic Stadium, Sochi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup#Group_C

All Groupings:

dwaino

« Reply #1222 on: December 02, 2017, 06:38:08 AM »
Was hoping we’d get a game in St Petersburg or Moscow as we were thinking of going but they’re some pretty average joints. 

dwaino

« Reply #1223 on: December 02, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »
Group E looks like a cracker and Japan’s long slip in the rankings looks to have given them a tougher group.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1224 on: December 03, 2017, 02:39:07 AM »
Was hoping we’d get a game in St Petersburg or Moscow as we were thinking of going but they’re some pretty average joints.
The stadia are mostly new. The issue is more hoping Samara Arena's construction will be finished  :-\.

Kazan Arena
Capacity: 45,379

Cosmos Arena, Samara
(interior pic is a graphic of what it's meant to look like)
Capacity: 44,918

Fisht Stadium, Sochi

Capacity: 47,659

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1225 on: December 03, 2017, 03:50:31 AM »
Yep, we can't complain with that lot.

There's going to be a 2006/2010 sliding doors moment first up with how we go against top ranked France.
We lost to Brazil in 2006 0-2 (second game I know) but it a respectable loss that only boosted our confidence in getting out of the group stage. We were only 0-1 down until the last minute and coughed one up pushing forward for the equalizer. Also Harry missed a good chance earlier in the game. In 2010 however, we faced Germany first up and embarrassed ourselves 0-4. We never recovered with such a hit to our goal difference despite drawing with Ghana (Harry copped that dubious red card) and beating Serbia.
So a good showing against France is vital even if it's a narrow loss. Here's hoping France beats Peru and Denmark so a win and draw will again be only needed to get out of the group. Peru were only the 5th best South American team while Denmark is no European power. We should also be able to get some valuable tactical info from across the Tasman on playing Peru.

Group E looks like a cracker and Japan’s long slip in the rankings looks to have given them a tougher group.
My tips on those getting through to the knockout stage.

A: Russia, Uruguay
B: Portugal, Spain
C: France, Australia (why not ;D)
D: Argentina, Croatia
E: Brazil, Switzerland
F: Germany, Mexico
G: Belgium, England (Poms will be happy with their group)
H: Poland, Colombia (if they are on the legit  :whistle)

ps. So glad when Iran was named in Group B so we knew we had avoided both Portugal and Spain :phew.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

dwaino

« Reply #1226 on: December 03, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
Denmark is a tough one to call. No real superstars to think of except for maybe Eriksen but most of the team play in top leagues. If we can scratch a win and a draw against them and Peru, as long France don’t smash us that could be enough. France have so much firepower. Definitely a chance to win the whole thing.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1227 on: December 05, 2017, 01:12:55 PM »
Denmark is a tough one to call. No real superstars to think of except for maybe Eriksen but most of the team play in top leagues. If we can scratch a win and a draw against them and Peru, as long France don’t smash us that could be enough. France have so much firepower. Definitely a chance to win the whole thing.
Agree with all that, dwaino.

Yep, Eriksen is the main threat. He pretty much got Denmark to the World Cup scoring 11 goals from 12 qualifiers or something like that.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1229 on: December 14, 2017, 11:01:20 AM »
arnold. hahaha

super choice.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.