Author Topic: Trade talk, rumours & innuendo 2024  (Read 36263 times)

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trade talk, rumours & innuendo 2024
« Reply #270 on: August 14, 2024, 06:10:44 PM »
In the 2022 trade period, Hawthorn moved veteran midfielder Jaeger O’Meara to Fremantle in exchange for a future-second round pick and ruckman Lloyd Meek.

They then packaged that future-second round pick along with a future-third and pick 27 in order to trade up on draft night and select Josh Weddle.

This is an example of great trading. I put hopper in the same category as Omeara, albeit a worse player.

What would a club give up for hopper? We don't need him so why keep him.

Absolutely right. In fact I would say Taranto and hopper are our Mitchell and omeara.

We could keep them and our midfield stats would look okay but our mids won’t have the room to develop and we will have a 1 dimensional midfield.

Trade both Taranto and hopper and allow our new recruits ( which will hopdfully come this off season) to flourish and develop.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #271 on: August 14, 2024, 08:16:39 PM »
What does that say to future recruits who we try to lure over knowing that we’ve pushed guys out 2 years into a long term contract?

God I hate this fawning over hawthorn. Remind me in 12months time and we’ll see if they have progressed or as I suspect actually trend down (unless they have a ripper trade/FA period).

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #272 on: August 14, 2024, 08:37:00 PM »
What does that say to future recruits who we try to lure over knowing that we’ve pushed guys out 2 years into a long term contract?

God I hate this fawning over hawthorn. Remind me in 12months time and we’ll see if they have progressed or as I suspect actually trend down (unless they have a ripper trade/FA period).

didnt do anything to the pies when treloar left when the pies let him go in 2020, gone, 2023 flag

grundy to the dees in 2022, pies flag 2023

players want flags and cash. If you have a strong team capable of winning flags they arent concerned about much else.

Facts are hopper is not going to be there for our next flag, and he isnt much chop most weeks. I would trade him in a heart beat, before a heart and soul player like Rioli.

we may have to pay some of his wage and instead of pick 7, we keep rioli and receive pick 20-25. I would do that deal straight away.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #273 on: August 14, 2024, 08:40:21 PM »
I was moreso talking about the effects of luring high profile players in the future. I don’t think Collingwood have gotten any since they booted those and other players out the door. Maybe being a big4 vic club can outweigh that, however, I’m not certain it won’t atleast cause players to think twice if a precedent like that is set.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #274 on: August 14, 2024, 08:44:12 PM »
I was moreso talking about the effects of luring high profile players in the future. I don’t think Collingwood have gotten any since they booted those and other players out the door. Maybe being a big4 vic club can outweigh that, however, I’m not certain it won’t atleast cause players to think twice if a precedent like that is set.

They didnt need to, they just won a flag. Schulz who i dont rate was as high profile as you get for them last year. That pick they gave up may end up being pick 7-10.

Like i aid players want success.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #275 on: August 14, 2024, 09:44:44 PM »
I think we’re talking about 2 different things here.

Yes, getting rid of those players resulted in short term success. They won a flag, you can’t argue that.

I’m talking about how it may impact their ability to get high profile recruits in the future after they’ve seen how they treated a couple of big names.

I suspect for big clubs it won’t matter as it will just end up being forgotten about but defs food for thought.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #276 on: August 14, 2024, 09:48:30 PM »
I know most on here don't rate him..but anyways

RIVAL CLUBS ‘LOOKING AT’ OUT-OF-FAVOUR BOMBER

Forgotten Essendon midfielder Ben Hobbs, who has played just 10 senior games this season after 18 last year, is being ‘looked at’ by rival clubs ahead of the off-season.

The Bombers selected Hobbs — who is contracted for one more season — with the No. 13 pick in 2021, but he could be out the Hangar door just two years later, per Herald Sun journalist Jay Clark.

“Ben Hobbs’ future is really interesting,” began Clark on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle on Wednesday evening.

“The midfield squeeze is on at the Bombers ... they’ve got Zach Merrett, Darcy Parish, Jye Caldwell — who signed for four years today — has been on a rocket; he’s become an A-grader.

“Sam Durham will finish in the top-three (of Essendon’s) best-and-fairest. Plus, outside of that, they’ve got Dylan Shiel, Will Setterfield — who had 43 touches in the VFL a week ago — Elijah Tsatas can’t get a game, and Hobbs, who played 18 games last year averaging 20 touches (but) can’t get a game (this year).

“He’s played 10 games this year, averaging 13 possessions — he’s on a massive slide. He is a ready-made midfielder that rival clubs are looking at, at the moment.”

In terms of which clubs that could come calling in October, Clark floated a couple of options.

“I think you’d have to have a look at Collingwood, who I think really need to bolster their midfield,” Clark said.

“Someone to take the physical load off Nick Daicos, Scott Pendlebury’s got a year left, Steele Sidebottom maybe (has) one year, (and) what’s Tom Mitchell’s future? So, I think the Pies need to bolster their midfield.

Richmond, if they lose (Jack) Graham, (Shai) Bolton, (Daniel) Rioli and (Liam) Baker, do they need some density? Do they need a bigger body like Ben Hobbs?

“He’s only 20 years old, so we still consider him young. He’s had some exposure at the top level, (and he’s) contracted for one more year.”

Clark added that little-used ruckman Nick Bryan will attract rival overtures this off-season.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-news-rumours-2024-ben-hobbs-eyed-by-rivals-nick-bryan-jack-graham-update-essendon-bombers-richmond-tigers-midweek-tackle-comments-latest-news/news-story/ddb20261cb3ab93a8f7d5586e8becc19
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #277 on: August 14, 2024, 11:02:23 PM »
Bigger body?

He's listed as 183/79 ffs.

His 10 games this year look extremely underwhelming.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2024, 11:21:52 PM »
Fitting surname - because if we got him the the tigers would be stuffed.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #279 on: August 15, 2024, 12:01:37 AM »
i wouldnt be suprised if some players leave because of that rubbish that has been dished up by magic. If i were lynch, gibcus i would be asking the question of the clubs direction.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #280 on: August 15, 2024, 07:00:04 AM »
i wouldnt be suprised if some players leave because of that rubbish that has been dished up by magic. If i were lynch, gibcus i would be asking the question of the clubs direction.

Not if we ditch Luke first

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #281 on: August 15, 2024, 07:14:15 AM »
The reality is we are going to have to take a punt on young, unproven talent over the next few years - both in the draft but also through the trade weeks.
Whether it’s Hobbs or other younger players who are looking for opportunities, we should be taking the punt if we don’t give up top 20 or 30 draft collateral.

I am all for getting top 10 or 20 picks for our flankers or spare part mids - Baker and Rioli our flashy half forward/mids - Bolton and any free comp for Graham in the 20’s is a bargin.

On the flip, I don’t just want to delist all the mature bodies in one fell swoop. The next 3 years is about draft talent with mature bodies nurturing kids into making the adjustment to senior footy. I am hoping we can fluke a couple of low profile trade talent - that we might not rate now but give us a pleasant surprise in a new environment at tigerland.

From season 2028, those mature bodies will need to be replaced with smart trading and free agency. Collingwood, Carlton even Port have done this well.

We will have no currency in this part if the player market if we sit on the bottom if the ladder like Norf which is where those mature bodies will play a role - whether we like those players or not.

Broad, Flossy, Lynch, Balta, Hopper, Taranto, Nank possibly Meatie and Jack Ross are going to have to get us through to 2028 being at least competitive by season 2027 to attract that free agency and trade talent from other clubs.

Season 2024 - 2026 is probably going to be bottom 3 finishes with hopefully 2027 being a year where we have an 8-10 win year playing football like the Hawks were starting to put together last year.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #282 on: August 15, 2024, 08:14:41 AM »
The reality is we are going to have to take a punt on young, unproven talent over the next few years - both in the draft but also through the trade weeks.
Whether it’s Hobbs or other younger players who are looking for opportunities, we should be taking the punt if we don’t give up top 20 or 30 draft collateral.

I am all for getting top 10 or 20 picks for our flankers or spare part mids - Baker and Rioli our flashy half forward/mids - Bolton and any free comp for Graham in the 20’s is a bargin.

On the flip, I don’t just want to delist all the mature bodies in one fell swoop. The next 3 years is about draft talent with mature bodies nurturing kids into making the adjustment to senior footy. I am hoping we can fluke a couple of low profile trade talent - that we might not rate now but give us a pleasant surprise in a new environment at tigerland.

From season 2028, those mature bodies will need to be replaced with smart trading and free agency. Collingwood, Carlton even Port have done this well.

We will have no currency in this part if the player market if we sit on the bottom if the ladder like Norf which is where those mature bodies will play a role - whether we like those players or not.

Broad, Flossy, Lynch, Balta, Hopper, Taranto, Nank possibly Meatie and Jack Ross are going to have to get us through to 2028 being at least competitive by season 2027 to attract that free agency and trade talent from other clubs.

Season 2024 - 2026 is probably going to be bottom 3 finishes with hopefully 2027 being a year where we have an 8-10 win year playing football like the Hawks were starting to put together last year.

To reiterate my point I'm going to insist we keep Rioli unless the offer is too silly to refuse. I'd be asking for Jed Walter in a trade - stuff them.

Broad has two years contracted. Floss going well. Balta, Hopper, Taranto and even Nank have years left. But Meatball and Lynch are virtually done - they might play games in 2025 but I'd be surprised if we get more than 30 out of them together and even then I'd consider that a bit of a win.

Then we have guys like Grimes (surely retiring), Pickett (maybe 1 year for F/S + mature body) and KMac (see Pickett).

We can afford to cut some dead weight without going too light on maturity.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #283 on: August 15, 2024, 08:36:25 AM »

Fair point. It not only effects a player's decision whether to stay or not but a player's decision whether to come to the club(request to be traded to the club).

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #284 on: August 15, 2024, 12:05:24 PM »
I agree Andyyy but for 2 points:-
Rioli and Bolton should be worth 2 x first rounders. This draft has plenty of flexibility with inside and outside mids. Reckon key forwards is best done in free agency.
Reckon Lynch can go another 3 years. Barely played these past 2 years and a decent preseason program which he has not been able to do for a few years (hopefully with someone new) gives me some optimism he can play on beyond next year.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.