Author Topic: Jacob Blight [merged]  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Jacob Blight to debut this week [merged]
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2024, 08:10:26 PM »
Thought he was fantastic today. Playing on the best tall forward in the comp first up and doing what he did tells me we have a player.

Didn’t watch the whole game, but read elsewhere Miller was on Curnow ?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2024, 08:30:59 PM »
Thought he was fantastic today. Playing on the best tall forward in the comp first up and doing what he did tells me we have a player.

Didn’t watch the whole game, but read elsewhere Miller was on Curnow ?

Yes Miller took on Curnow

Blight took MacKay...he really well

Very good first game.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 09:20:54 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2024, 08:45:40 PM »
I thought Blight was pretty solid, keeping McKay really quiet is a big tick for a first gamer.  Miller also did pretty well on Curnow, meaning that we effectively neutralized the most dangerous pair of key forwards in the game!  Trouble is their small & medium forwards had a birthday instead of the twin towers ...   
Daniel Rioli is a terrific HB when he has the ball in hand, but his actual defensive work on his opponent is just average.  He has a tendency to over-commit, looking to attack when the ball is still in dispute & getting caught out of position.  When he holds back his natural desire to attack & stays in the contest his tackling, agility & anticipation make him a really good defender.  He loses his ability to negate when he tries too hard to win the ball & sprint off down the wing.  Short is similar, that only leaves Vlaustin & Broad to hold us together at ground level & today neither of them were fantastic.  Vlaustin was by far the better of the two & Broad is too slow to play on the super quick small forwards.
Then we have Baker trying to play small forward & midfield roles?  I'd let Baker play as a small forward, but then the speedy Mansell needs to go back & try to damage a few small forwards ... wrecking ball style ... lay some bone crunchers ... bust some arses ...     
We really do miss the versatility of Grimes, who could combine small & tall traits into his game.         
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2024, 09:22:05 PM »
I thought Blight was pretty solid, keeping McKay really quiet is a big tick for a first gamer.  Miller also did pretty well on Curnow, meaning that we effectively neutralized the most dangerous pair of key forwards in the game!  Trouble is their small & medium forwards had a birthday instead of the twin towers ...   
Daniel Rioli is a terrific HB when he has the ball in hand, but his actual defensive work on his opponent is just average.  He has a tendency to over-commit, looking to attack when the ball is still in dispute & getting caught out of position.  When he holds back his natural desire to attack & stays in the contest his tackling, agility & anticipation make him a really good defender.  He loses his ability to negate when he tries too hard to win the ball & sprint off down the wing.  Short is similar, that only leaves Vlaustin & Broad to hold us together at ground level & today neither of them were fantastic.  Vlaustin was by far the better of the two & Broad is too slow to play on the super quick small forwards.
Then we have Baker trying to play small forward & midfield roles?  I'd let Baker play as a small forward, but then the speedy Mansell needs to go back & try to damage a few small forwards ... wrecking ball style ... lay some bone crunchers ... bust some arses ...     
We really do miss the versatility of Grimes, who could combine small & tall traits into his game.         

Excellent post  :clapping

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2024, 10:22:05 PM »
You're right JP but the sad truth is that both Grimes & Broad have lost a yard and neither can play on quick players anymore.

Both used to be able to play anything but they are liabilities now.

We need a good small lockdown defender.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2024, 10:58:15 PM »

Excellent post  :clapping
:clapping :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jacob Blight [merged]
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2024, 04:09:46 PM »
Nathan Broad was full of praise for Jacob Blight, who made his debut against Carlton on Sunday just weeks after landing at the club through the mid-season draft.

“It’s been incredible. Obviously mid-season draft to come in and play on (Harry) McKay, who is one of the best forwards in the game, is just incredible,” he said.

“That’s the standard now for Jacob, to try and do that performance every single week.

“He has fitted in seamlessly to our culture and everything we are about and the thing is with Jacob he is always trying to get better and he is always in there to learn.”

Source: West Australian

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2024, 07:45:57 PM »
Seen enough -VFL gun/AFL dud.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2024, 08:03:55 PM »
Disagree.
Would give him a short contract on small coin and see what we have at the end of next year.
Does need to work on pace and he sure could do with some strength despite his size. Both are things he can work on in an afl system and hopefully improve.
Still think he is more promising than Young who struggles to take marks.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2024, 08:06:51 PM »
He's better than Young but that ain't saying much...both state level players....... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2024, 08:19:06 PM »
I'd take him over Young any day

Just needs a run of games in the AFL,  huge step up from VFL and especially WAFL

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2024, 08:34:13 PM »
He's better than Young but that ain't saying much...both state level players....... :shh

You could be right. Ive seen enough of Young to be pretty sure. Blight with  just three Afl games  is not enough for me. The kid has some very good traits and i think another season is warranted.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2024, 11:03:41 AM »
I’m looking forward to see what he brings after a proper AFL preseason.
Unleash the tornado

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2024, 05:46:48 PM »
Agree , still learning the game plan and like that he wants to get his hands on the ball.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2024, 08:02:56 PM »
Needs some agility training and prob needs to lose some kgs. Runs very heavy.
Go Tigers!