Author Topic: Pick 1  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Pick 1
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2024, 04:55:17 PM »
lol Dimma

:cheers :cheers :cheers

Serves you right

Wonder what Stewie Dew is thinking right now .. one of the good guys in footy, that was absolutely shafted ..

Will be great to see the Suns capitulate

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2024, 05:48:34 PM »
With what seems a really strong draft, would anyone consider doing a North and trading pick 1 for 2 picks in the top 10?

E.g pick 2 and 6 (or whatever is equivalent)

Would not trade pick 1 unless we got 2 and 3 or 3 and 4.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2024, 06:17:44 PM »
Toss up between O'Sullivan & Smillie for me ...good chance we'll pick Lalor though....hearing we don't rate Smith as highly as others.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2024, 10:41:23 AM »
We need to finish last imo. I don’t advocate tanking but let’s just put lynch on ice.

Having no. 1 pick would be big for the club, gives the fans some excitement. We will end up with 2 picks in the top 10 imo and probably 3-4 in the top 20.

Nail this draft and we are set up for our next dynasty.
We need to draft 2 top midfielders and a key fwd.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2024, 11:50:41 AM »
The trouble is recruiters and only recognising we are lacking Key position players now!
We are using mid season and rockie drafts to recruit them and the chances of a 100 gamer by recruiting in these drafts are slim.
Obviously we have been a victim of our own success but if we continue to recruit on best available and on money ball and not on a needs basis we will continue to have glaring gaps in our list!
If we waste our picks this year and next couple we are in for bottom finishes for quite a few more years .

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2024, 09:07:06 PM »
Camboon, as frustrating as this year has been for us, it could be a blessing. With Tassie starting to gain access to young talent from 2027, we have 2-3 years to load up on young midfield talent. I’m an advocate for free agency when targeting key forwards and believe we have the nucleus of a good key back structure with Balta, Gibcus, Miller and potentially Blight. Anyone bottoming out in 3 years is going to find it bloody tough to bounce back with Tassie and potentially a 20th side coming into the comp in 4-5 years.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2024, 09:53:36 PM »
We need to finish last imo. I don’t advocate tanking but let’s just put lynch on ice.

Having no. 1 pick would be big for the club, gives the fans some excitement. We will end up with 2 picks in the top 10 imo and probably 3-4 in the top 20.

Nail this draft and we are set up for our next dynasty.
We need to draft 2 top midfielders and a key fwd.
Fingers crossed we get it right

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2024, 10:37:51 PM »
I agree with you , but even vg key forward cost first rounders , I am suggesting we don’t have picks to waste in the next few years and need to recruit well and for needs , when Tassie comes in they will throw the sink at key forwards as goods one are rare but wingers and flankers no so much

we could have got a few in the lest couple of years that Melbourne and Freo got if we recruited on a needs replacement basis

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2024, 10:43:10 PM »
We have one massive advantage with where our list is

HRT is correct , we can target a key forward in free agency

Massively front end the contract 

We are still a power club that players will want to be a part of

Two years of pain for many years of contending in the near future would be handy

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2024, 10:45:02 PM »
We need fast mids. Taranto and Hopper, if fit, are able to do the grunt work but don't have breakaway pace like Butters and Rozee at Port.

Definitely should get a key forward. Lots of FA money with Lynch, Dusty, Prestia, Grimes and Broad pretty much all guaranteed to retire in 3-15 months then there's possible trade outs like Short, Graham, Bolton, Baker etc.

Loads of money to trade or bring in a FA key forward.

If we get a draft forward, trade/FA, I think we'll be fine and at least one of Kosi, Lefau or Gray can play 3rd fiddle.

Backline actually looks like we might be OK.

Our midfield is as slow as a wet weak, it's horrible to watch unless Bolton is in there.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2024, 01:37:14 AM »
Anyone who thinks we don't need to draft a kpf with a pick that isn't from the boondocks of the draft  is either delusional or has the memory of a goldfish ...they seem to forget we drafted Jack with pick 12 and developed him ourselves or think all we did was just go grab Lynch as a free agent and that was it ...he wasn't even here for the first flag ffs...  :propeller
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2024, 09:40:32 AM »
Anyone who thinks we don't need to draft a kpf with a pick that isn't from the boondocks of the draft  is either delusional or has the memory of a goldfish ...they seem to forget we drafted Jack with pick 12 and developed him ourselves or think all we did was just go grab Lynch as a free agent and that was it ...he wasn't even here for the first flag ffs...  :propeller

For me the bottom line is that we should be drafting a KPF prospect every year.

Plenty of good ones slide and IMO there are so many high draft range KPF's that fail badly I'm not convinced that using P1 on one is a good idea.

Patton, Boyd, McCartin all good examples of flops.

Then you look at guys like Larkey, Lewis etc and think surely if we just grab one every year and work on them, keep them for structural reasons etc, we should get one to come good.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2024, 09:54:46 AM »

Treacy and Van Rooyan also say hi

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2024, 07:24:52 PM »
I think Larkay is the only player in the top 5 of Coleman for the past decade who wasn't a top 20 pick. Could be wrong, but if I am it's very close.

Can't pick a KPF as Pick 1.

Id love us to have Pick 1, compo for Bakes maybe mid to late round 1 and end up with Blues pick 1 with their father son points acquisition.

Pick Smillie at 1 and then go for the best KP forward available in the teens.
Go Tigers!

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2024, 09:55:46 AM »
I'm leaning towards O'Sullivan.