Author Topic: Rate a Tiger's year - Hugo Ralphsmith?  (Read 524 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rate a Tiger's year - Hugo Ralphsmith?
« on: September 12, 2024, 08:04:47 PM »
That time of the year for a player review thread. Hugo is first up.

Hugo in his fifth year (fourth since debuting) played a season most 18 out of a possible 23 games to take his career tally to 50. He came into the side in round 5 and played all but one of the remaining matches.

Season Highlights
* 21 disposals, 6 marks & 3 tackles - R7 vs Melbourne.
* 17 disposals, 6 marks & 1 goal - R23 vs Hawthorn.
* 17 disposals, 4 marks & 1 goal - R11 vs Essendon.
* 14 disposals, 6 marks & 1 goal - R8 vs Fremantle.

Career stats:
          Games  Kicks   Hballs  Disposals  Marks  Tackles    G.B    Clear.   In50      Re50     GA
2021:      6*     4.5      3.7         8.2        1.2       0.8       3.2      0.0      1.6        0.8      0.0
2022:    13*     7.8      6.7       14.5        3.5       1.3       5.1      0.3      2.1        1.9      0.1
2023:    13*     5.9      5.1       11.0        3.3       0.5       1.2      0.4      1.9        1.2      0.3
2024:    18       7.7      5.9       13.6        3.9       1.5       6.5      0.8      2.9        1.3      0.2

* Includes 1 game as unused substitute, 6 games as activated substitute, and 1 game subbed off.

https://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=3088
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-richmond-tigers--hugo-ralphsmith

How did we all rate Hugo's year?

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Rate a Tiger's year - Hugo Ralphsmith?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024, 08:15:09 PM »
And im a big critic
Got to give credit where it’s due

Hopefully keeps improving

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2024, 08:15:59 PM »
Passed KMac, seemed to be harder at it than previous years. I gave him a 6.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2024, 08:35:41 PM »
Legitimately improved, even not looking at the numbers, which are up across the board, you could just see it watching the games.

Still unconvinced he is a long term player for us, however this season was definitely a good start to proving otherwise.

6.5/10

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2024, 08:47:27 PM »
Same as others here.about 6

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2024, 09:10:13 PM »
6.5 but voted 7.

Gave me reason to want to keep him when I was ready to delist a year ago.

He had one particular game where he was tough as nails and had FA stats to show for it but I thought he was one of our best.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2024, 09:16:09 PM »
6.5 from me so voted 7

Been one of his biggest critics but he showed huge improvement from where he was at the end of 2023

Kudos to Hugo, well done
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2024, 09:37:21 PM »
I also gave him 7 too as he gave me some hope , not just for proving me wrong but that others with experience might step up too.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2024, 09:57:19 PM »
In a world of sink or swim, this was the year that Hugo decided to swim.  It gained a 6.5 from me (voted a 7). 
This what I look for in young players who are struggling to make the grade, its when they decide to stop getting trounced.  The realization that they can push back & start heading in the right direction lifts them up, then comes the boost when they start to believe they can do it.

Hugo still has a long way to go, but I was impressed that he made a choice to go after it ...   :clapping
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2024, 10:45:08 PM »
4 coming off a base of 1.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2024, 07:45:32 AM »
Ralphsmith Rising

RFC website
12 Sep 2024

Hugo Ralphsmith was a bright light in a bleak season for Richmond. The hard-running, 22-year-old established himself as a permanent member of the Tigers’ senior line-up on a wing, maintaining an impressive level of consistency throughout. He sat down for a review of his season, and this is what he had to say . . .

Season reflections

“From a personal standpoint, it was a pretty positive year . . . I felt like I took some leaps and bounds in my game and improved on the things that I wanted to improve on. I’m still obviously growing . . . I’m not at a finished product yet.”

Reasons for his improvement

“Just having more tough conversations with coaches and people in my corner about the things that I needed to improve on. And getting to work on those in the pre-season. It didn’t happen straight away, but once I got into the team during the year, I just felt more comfortable in my ability to use the ball and run with the ball and play to my strengths. So, it was a slow burn, but we got there in the end.”

Further areas of improvement

“I’m still trying to grow the contested side of my game and to be tougher over the footy. Also, just my execution in kicking. Little things that can always get better. I’m still trying to chip away at that.”

Marking development

“My aerial ability has been a side of my game that I’ve always had, since I was a junior. And then, having the belief to go for my marks – taking that to the next level. Instead of thinking someone else is going to do it, just doing it myself. Just go or them, at least. I’m happy that was a side of my game that improved . . .”

Biggest achievements this year

“I had my 50th game (in the final round v Gold Coast) . . . that was a big milestone for me. Ticked that one off, which was really nice. Also, just not getting dropped for the first time in my career. I was proud of the way I went about getting into the team, and then committing to myself to stay in the team. They were probably the two main ones.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1652403/ralphsmith-rising

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2024, 10:23:50 AM »
I think Hugo is going very well.

If you think back on Shane Edward’s I remember people saying he was hopeless in his early years.
Not saying they are the same player, just saying very very very few players hit the ground running and it takes time to mature.

I gave Hugo a 7 and hope to give him an 8 next year

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2024, 02:48:46 PM »
Legitimately improved, even not looking at the numbers, which are up across the board, you could just see it watching the games.

Still unconvinced he is a long term player for us, however this season was definitely a good start to proving otherwise.

6.5/10

Are his numbers up im not so sure on that. His numbers remain alarmingly low imo.
He actually managed to be competetive thats his improvement.

I have a lot who fall into the category of it should not be too hard to get a reasonable upgrade. Still think he is there.
Did enough this year to save his arse but boy he needs to continue to improve.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2024, 03:17:09 PM »

6.5/10

Are his numbers up im not so sure on that. His numbers remain alarmingly low imo.
He actually managed to be competetive thats his improvement.

I have a lot who fall into the category of it should not be too hard to get a reasonable upgrade. Still think he is there.
Did enough this year to save his arse but boy he needs to continue to improve.

Literally all of the stats posted to open this thread are UP from every other season. Unless the definition of up has changed recently, then yes, his numbers are up  ::)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2024, 08:12:34 AM »
Has improved. Last game against Gold Coast was really disappointing.  Hopefully can build on the gains made this year and carry through to next season.