Author Topic: Newman broken leg?  (Read 5763 times)

PuntRdRoar

Re: Newman broken leg?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 01:47:26 PM »
He shouldnt play before July next year. Just automatic 12 months. Should be compulsory.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 03:57:50 PM »
SEN had Cogs on around 12.30pm after he had just visited Newy for 45 minutes and gave the latest update on Newy's progress.  Fevola had also visited Newy and the rest of the Tiges will arrive as a group this arvo. The SEN reporter said Newy is a tough bugger and is in good spirits considering what has happened.

Like Browny the break was halfway up he's had a rod inserted into the tibia but apparently the break was alot cleaner than Browny's (which is some positive news). Newman was able to have his operation virtually straight away because the surgeon (Hayden Morris) was at the game and could organise things at the Mercy hospital quickly. Browny had to wait till 7am the next morning because he did his in a night game.

I'm guessing the break was cleaner because the leg was bent sideways as opposed to Browny's which was bent backwards into the calf muscle.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 06:21:32 PM »
He shouldnt play before July next year. Just automatic 12 months. Should be compulsory.

Agree Ramps. Browny injured his leg in round 10 and has only just discovered his old form again in round 13 this year. We may not see Newy back until late July 2007 so basically next year is a write off too for him  :(.   

Moi

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 06:26:35 PM »
Meanwhile, Richmond coach Terry Wallace has berated fans who heckled the injured Chris Newman during yesterday's win over Collingwood.

As Newman left the ground with a broken leg, spectators called him weak and Wallace said the behaviour was disappointing.

" don't mind when you're running down to cop a bit and get it as you do - that's all part and parcel of the game," he said.

"But when you know that someone's seriously injured like that ... I think that's pretty poor form."

Newman had a rod inserted into his leg this afternoon and could be out of the game for up to a year.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200607/s1677648.htm

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 06:49:56 PM »
Meanwhile, Richmond coach Terry Wallace has berated fans who heckled the injured Chris Newman during yesterday's win over Collingwood.

As Newman left the ground with a broken leg, spectators called him weak and Wallace said the behaviour was disappointing.

" don't mind when you're running down to cop a bit and get it as you do - that's all part and parcel of the game," he said.

"But when you know that someone's seriously injured like that ... I think that's pretty poor form."

Newman had a rod inserted into his leg this afternoon and could be out of the game for up to a year.

MT might have to sign an affadavit ;D

Ch 9 news said that Pies CEO Greg Swann (who wouldn't appear on camera) was not aware of any Pies' fans making comments but would be extremely disappointed if they did

Who's the bigger  :wallywink Mr Swann or their moronic supporters  :stupid :yep
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 12:54:57 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 07:01:27 PM »

MT might have to sing an affadavit ;D

Ch 9 news said that Pies CEO Greg Swann (who wouldn't appear on camera) was not aware of any Pies' fans making comments but would be extremely disappointed if they did

Who's the bigger  :wallywink Mr Swann or their moronic supporters  :stupid :yep

This clown near us also said "a broken leg isn't that bad. You Richmond **** are weak as p---". A total fwit  ::).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 03:22:32 AM by mightytiges »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace slams Pie fans (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 02:47:30 AM »
Wallace slams Pie fans
04 July 2006   Herald-Sun
Rebecca Williams

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace delivered a broadside at Collingwood supporters yesterday as Tigers midfielder Chris Newman began his recovery from an horrific broken leg.

An angry Wallace claimed Newman was heckled by Magpies supporters as he was taken from the field on a stretcher after breaking his left leg in a sickening collision with Leon Davis.

Newman had surgery to insert a rod in his tibia and have his fractured fibula realigned on Sunday night.

Wallace and Richmond players yesterday visited Newman at the Mercy Hospital, with the 24-year-old reported to be in good spirits.

But the same could not be said for Wallace, who hit out at the behaviour of Pies fans.

``People might call me soft or weak like some of the Collingwood supporters called Chris yesterday, which was pretty disappointing on his way off,'' Wallace said.

``They suggested that he was fairly weak for his actions and I thought that was pretty disappointing.

``When you know that someone is seriously injured like that, for his mother and himself to be very aware of that, I think that's pretty poor form.''

Newman's injury has been compared with that of fellow Tiger Nathan Brown, who broke the same bones in his left leg in a similarly gruesome incident in Round 10 last year.

Brown also had a metal rod inserted in his leg, but Wallace said Newman's breaks were cleaner.

Wallace expected Brown, who is starting to recapture his best form after missing games this season through soreness in his leg, to play a key role in Newman's rehabilitation.

``Browny will be able to let him know all of the signs of what's normal, what's expected and the trials and tribulations of it,'' Wallace said.

``We really found it difficult with Browny's. We went to Europe to find out about the soccer player, (Frenchman Djibril) Cisse, who had done a similar injury.

``We went across there to find out how his rehabilitation went, so we had to search far and wide.

``But this time around we don't have to go quite as far, just in our own back yard. Browny will be a big help in that way.''

One of Newman's visitors yesterday was teammate and housemate Brent Hartigan, who broke his right foot playing for Coburg in the VFL on Saturday.

Hartigan, who is expected to miss at least six weeks, was considered a strong chance for a senior call-up this week.

``The interesting sideline to the story is that (Newman's) likely replacement this week would have been Brent Hartigan and they live together in the same house,'' Tigers football director Greg Miller said.

Newman is expected to spend the next few days recovering in hospital.

Wallace said he remained hopeful Newman would be able to return at the start of next season.

``The biggest frustration that we've got with (Mark) Coughlan and Newman, is not only is it impacting this year, but it has the ability to impact next year,'' he said.

Wallace said he was unsure if spearhead Matthew Richardson would be fit to play in Saturday night's clash with Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

Richardson, who had pins removed from his fractured wrist last week, failed a fitness test last Friday.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19674082%255E19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 03:27:21 AM »
Wallace doesn't need to look too far ::)

Quote from: magpie_1983
i said get off the ground u weak @##$, whats happend the the collingwood supporters of old

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=426905#426905

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2006, 12:56:04 PM »

i said get off the ground u weak @##$, whats happend the the collingwood supporters of old

Gee that's something to be really proud of I suppose  :wallywink ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Prognosis good for Newy
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 06:14:13 PM »
On the RFC website, Greg Hickey our club doctor reckons Newy could be back for round 1 next year as the fracture was a lot cleaner being straight across the tibia (as well as fibula) so the two pieces just slotted together. Browny's on the other hand was more complicated.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=278407

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2006, 08:49:15 PM »
Poor Newy :(
But in a way atleast we know what to expect, I mean with Browny doing the same and all.
I hated how they kept showing the replay though, I knew what was coming but everytime I saw it, I flinched :(

I wish Chris and his family, and the Tiges, all the best.
The Tiger Army is behind you mate!
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2006, 09:13:23 PM »

Geezus.. l just clicked on that link to the eddiewood forum and read a few postings about this whole magpie supporters having ago at newman issue.
I have to admit if it was buckley that was the one that had his leg busted i and a few other tiger fans might have said something similar too but any other player i would have respectfully clapped them off...

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2006, 09:16:54 PM »
Collingwood supporters need to be reminded that it could have easily been Leon Davis with the broken leg instead of Newy
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
100 games lost through injury - Wallace
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2006, 10:34:29 PM »
Wallace counts injury toll
4:52:18 PM Tue 4 July, 2006
Mark Rasmussen
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace estimates that just over half-way through the season, injuries have cost the Tigers more game time than for the whole of 2005.

Speaking at his weekly media conference on Tuesday, Wallace, who has kept a running sheet of player injuries, said the club had lost 100 games through injuries in 2006.

"I suppose injuries have been key on everyone's minds, and in recent weeks there's been a lot of players go down from all sides and obviously in our position, we lost Chris Newman and Brent Hartigan," he said.

"We just did a couple of numbers on our injuries. We're up around 100 games lost last year to injury. A lot of those injuries were breaks.

Full Article: http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=278454

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2006, 10:51:58 PM »
We've had more than our fair share of broken bones in the past 2 years - Browny and Newy with a snapped leg, Hyde's skull, Roach's jaw, Joel and Moore with depressed cheekbones and Harts foot. Didn't Sarge have a busted ankle?!  Sheesh!   :help  :P.