Author Topic: Staff and Chaff gone; Gas and Kellaway may follow  (Read 22892 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Staff and Chaff gone; Gas and Kellaway may follow
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2006, 04:36:47 PM »
Wallace drafted the new generation of doggie runners - Gilbee, Giansiracusa, McMahon, Hahn, etc that have finally matured 6 years later on and Rohde got them the early draft picks - Cooney and Ray.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2006, 05:20:47 PM »
Wallace drafted the new generation of doggie runners - Gilbee, Giansiracusa, McMahon, Hahn, etc that have finally matured 6 years later on and Rohde got them the early draft picks - Cooney and Ray.

the doggies would be just as good without cooney and ray

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2006, 05:26:16 PM »

Cooney will be a gun in a few years but agree about Ray. When we last played the dogs he almost single-handedly got us back in the game with his blind turnovers straight to the Bowden boys.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2006, 05:26:50 PM »
Forget about the Doggies running ability - it's their skills. They have to best team in the comp for disposal by foot by an 1000 kms - they just hit target after target

Silky!!!!!!!!!!!
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2006, 06:09:30 PM »
Forget about the Doggies running ability - it's their skills. They have to best team in the comp for disposal by foot by an 1000 kms - they just hit target after target

Silky!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to Chocco Royal  ;).

Is/was Royal or Wheadon our skills coach?

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2006, 09:41:49 PM »

Cooney will be a gun in a few years but agree about Ray. When we last played the dogs he almost single-handedly got us back in the game with his blind turnovers straight to the Bowden boys.

MT,

Gotta disagree.  Ray was all class on Sunday afternoon.  For a period there in tehs econd and thrid quarters, he was a key aprt of nearly every move that ended in a Doggies goal.  Some of his long kicks/passes to a teammate were exceptional.

I rate Ray haigher than Cooney.  Cooney misses lots and lots of targets.  Eade saw it the same way on Sunday and parked Cooney on the forward line from the 2nd quarter, whilst Ray had a license to roam wherever he wanted.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2006, 03:42:02 AM »

MT,

Gotta disagree.  Ray was all class on Sunday afternoon.  For a period there in tehs econd and thrid quarters, he was a key aprt of nearly every move that ended in a Doggies goal.  Some of his long kicks/passes to a teammate were exceptional.

I rate Ray haigher than Cooney.  Cooney misses lots and lots of targets.  Eade saw it the same way on Sunday and parked Cooney on the forward line from the 2nd quarter, whilst Ray had a license to roam wherever he wanted.

Fair enough HKT. I didn't see the game on the weekend. He obviously much have had just a bad day against us.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kellaway on SEN
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2006, 06:21:20 PM »
* Chubba has put his name in the draft. Thinks he has a 1-2 years left.

* Doing part-time work at the moment as a labourer helping out a friend of the family's landscaping business.

* Little bit of interest from other clubs but not too much. Needs to keep fit just in case you get picked up.

* Not fussy where he goes. Hopes he can fill a gap like what Mark Graham and Montgomery have done.

* Doesn't think he'll be asked to change his playing style as all clubs would know how he plays.

* Matthew Campbell said if we don't play finals next year it will be a bad year  ::). Chubba responded by saying we still have a number of young guys coming through.

* Career: individually - consistent; team - didn't play as many finals as he and us wished.

* If doesn't get picked up he'll just get on with life. Might travel first with his wife.

[SMS thanked him for his efforts at Richmond]

* Thanked Tiger supporters for their support. Said he still has lots of good friends at Richmond.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Chubba still disappointed about getting axed (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2006, 02:15:47 AM »
Age spells the end
Jackie Epstein
Herald-Sun
19th November 2006

ANDREW Kellaway sees a worrying trend developing at football clubs.

It's not flooding or unsavoury tactics, but rather the tendency to flippantly dispense with older players.
He turns 31 on Thursday and two days later, at the national draft, is hoping to find a new home.

The former Tiger was hoping for another two years and had no real inkling he was headed for the scrapheap.

"I was definitely keen to keep going and I think at one stage the club was keen to keep going with me, but by the end of the season it had changed," Kellaway said.

"I'm definitely disappointed, but it seems to be happening to a few guys at the moment. Guys who have been there for a while -- if they have a quieter year and they're older and out of contract, it can be an interesting time for them.

"That seems to be happening more and more just in AFL in general. I put myself in that group where, through whatever reason, just having a quieter season or getting injured at the wrong time and being out of contract, it makes things a bit awkward."

Kellaway, who made his debut in 1998, was told at season's end he was no longer required. Coach Terry Wallace indicated that the way forward was with youth.

"I was reasonably shocked and disappointed," Kellaway said.

"I wouldn't put my name back in the draft now if I wasn't keen.

"I feel really good physically and mentally so I see no reason why I can't fill a spot somewhere."

http://www.news.com.au/sundayheraldsun/story/0,21985,20780664-11088,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Chubba still disappointed about getting axed (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2006, 02:53:03 AM »
"That seems to be happening more and more just in AFL in general. I put myself in that group where, through whatever reason, just having a quieter season or getting injured at the wrong time and being out of contract, it makes things a bit awkward."

Although he got delisted because he was neither a KPP nor a modern day rebounding defender, it's interesting Chubba mentions about getting injured at the wrong time. Maybe doing his hammy did contribute in some way to his axing  ???.

Jackstar

« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2006, 08:25:14 AM »
How funny his dog being named Dudley :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kellaway swaps boots for bags (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2006, 02:32:32 AM »
Kellaway swaps boots for bags
13 December 2006   Herald-Sun
Bruce Matthews with Zac Milbank

TRAVEL instead of training is now on the agenda for discarded Richmond defender Andrew Kellaway.

Kellaway and his wife Kate are expected to take the opportunity to see the world after the popular Tiger failed to find a new AFL home.

"Whenever footy finishes, a lot of guys like to do that sort of thing. That's probably my go," Kellaway said yesterday.

"I'm open to offers, obviously, in terms of footy at some stage. But as we speak, it's probably a bit of travelling."

Kellaway, who turned 31 two weeks ago, was a shock delisting when Richmond dumped him after 172 games, including 15 this season.

He became another casualty of the ever-increasing search for speed that he couldn't compensate for with his courage and competitive spirit.

A Tiger mainstay for the past decade, the 2000 best-and-fairest winner and All-Australian backman trained alone in the hope of finding another club. But the phone didn't ring and he realised his career had come to an end.

"I tried to maintain my fitness, but I realised pretty soon there weren't many calls coming through and there wasn't much interest," Kellaway said.

"I've enjoyed my footy and my career and I was keen to go on. But nothing has happened and I suppose it's time to do something else for a little bit.

"Maybe when we get back from travelling and there's any opportunities in footy with coaching and stuff, well, I'll have a look then."

Former Richmond skipper Wayne Campbell landed a coaching job with the Western Bulldogs for the new season after spending 12 months travelling overseas.

Carlton backman Luke Livingston, pick No. 4 in the 2000 national draft, was among the other big names overlooked in yesterday's pre-season draft. The list also included Brisbane's three-time premiership ruckman Clark Keating, Adelaide games record-holder Ben Hart, Collingwood Grand Final defender Jason Cloke, Hawthorn's Nick Ries, who was a top-25 draft pick in 2000, St Kilda's Troy Schwarze, young Tiger Tom Roach -- axed after just 11 games -- and West Coast's Travis Gaspar.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20919261%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2006, 04:54:01 AM »
Matthew Clarke was on Richmond's list, and spent a year in its under-19 team.

"We had quite a good team that year," Clarke said, of the 1991 team that included former Tigers Duncan Kellaway and Nick Daffy, as well as one-time Hawk Rayden Tallis and Bulldog Paul Dimmattina.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/12/13/1165685752515.html

Next year will be our first year without a Kellaway on our list in 17 years  :o.