Author Topic: Staff and Chaff gone; Gas and Kellaway may follow  (Read 22897 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Staff and Chaff gone; Gas and Kellaway may follow
« on: August 29, 2006, 02:21:06 AM »
Gaspar, Kellaway may join exodus of senior Tigers
Rohan Connolly
The Age
August 29, 2006

RICHMOND is poised to part company with up to four of its most senior players, with two veterans expected to retire today and at least one and possibly two more having been told their time at Punt Road is up.

Ruckman Greg Stafford and defender Mark Chaffey are expected to announce their retirements at a press conference at Punt Road today after both decided they'd had enough of AFL football.

But key defenders Andrew Kellaway and Darren Gaspar may be less willing casualties of the Tigers' review of its senior list.

Stafford, a former Swan who played in the 1996 grand final and has spent the past five seasons at Punt Road, reached his 200th game against the Western Bulldogs three weeks ago and hinted at his retirement when he reached that milestone.

Chaffey, who confirmed to the club yesterday that he would not be going on in 2007, thrived under the coaching of Terry Wallace last year, but has struggled all through 2006 after a groin injury hampered his pre-season, with his battle to make up for lost time resulting in him not being selected in the senior team until round 17.

But the situation regarding Kellaway and Gaspar is more problematic. Richmond remained tight-lipped on the potential axings last night, coach Terry Wallace refusing to confirm what would be a big clean-out of the Tigers' senior core.

"We've got one game to play and we'll deal with delistings and things like that once the season has finished," Wallace said.

But it is believed the club has told both players their careers are on the line. Gaspar's controversial five-year deal with Richmond, worth $500,000 a season before he took a pay cut, ends this season, resulting in the defender being the subject of much speculation.

Gaspar's manager Ron Joseph met Richmond director of football Greg Miller yesterday in an attempt to negotiate a new deal for the 2001 best-and-fairest winner and two-time All-Australian.

The dour key backman had a fine 2005, finishing fourth in the best and fairest, but has struggled throughout 2006, managing only eight games, his season ended by knee cartilage damage for which he had surgery before round 17.

But Kellaway would be a more surprising casualty, the courageous defender having played 15 of 16 games this season before straining a hamstring while surfing — an injury from which he was due to return this week.

The 2000 best-and-fairest winner, who won All-Australian honours the same year, has played 172 games with the club since 1998.

If all four players are finished, Richmond will have lost more than 750 matches of senior experience in one hit, Gaspar and Stafford two of only four Tigers in a young and developing list to have played more than 200 matches.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/08/28/1156617275512.html

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
Re: Staff and Chaff gone; Gas and Kellaway may follow
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 02:34:14 AM »
Chubba?!? :gobdrop :gobdrop
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 02:54:59 AM »
I wouldn't mind Gaspar and Kellaway going on for one more year, but at the same time, their departure wouldn't be an altogether bad thing.

Plenty of guys we can get rid of:

Chaffey
Stafford
Rodan
Moore
Hall
Humm
Knobel
Jackson
Roach

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 03:10:10 AM »
I would definetly like to see chuba stay for another year at least. As for the rest great servants of the club but time for the RFC to move on  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 03:28:50 AM »
The cleanout has begun early. Sounds like we are willing to take a step back (loss of experience in 2007) to go forward with only the best, most reliable and consistent senior players.

I still think Gas on a significantly reduced contract and Chubba will get one more year with our lack of key defenders.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 03:33:26 AM »

I still think Gas on a significantly reduced contract and Chubba will get one more year with our lack of key defenders.

That's unless we are chasing someone who could fill one of those possies - Just a feeling a bit of an inkling - and no not Mal Michael  :thumbsup

Moi

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 06:20:29 AM »
Think Andy deserves one more year - wasn't that bad this year.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 06:37:06 AM »
im glad to see these 4 go, why waste the development of a kid to give either of these players one more yr! we have seen this yr a younger team than last yr play better footy and get better results.

and btw, imo , i have a gut feeling terry was not impressed when chubba did his hammy surfing, just have a gut feeling

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 07:42:23 AM »
Well I spoke to one of the head coaches at Surfing Queensland who coached Mick Fanning and he said it sounded very doubtful whether surfing caused the hamstring injury.  He said it was more than likely the hammy was going to go anyway, especially as Chubba was no novice surfer.  My friend took the Brisbane Broncos out for a surfing lesson once during the season and he said he was more worried about them getting dumped and having head and neck injuries or fin cuts than hamstrings.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 08:16:06 AM »
doubtful or not isnt the issue, they said he did it surfing, so be it, its just my gut feeling and whether he did his hammy or not, if they get rid of gas and chubba its the right move for the future.  we cant just hang onto players for sentimental reasons, this is why we have terry as coach now and not spud. u cant move forward by hanging onto players who are not part of the future and dont really have a strong influence on development.

up fwd we have richo/brown to develop the kids

in the middle we have sugar/brown

down back we have have joel to organise and marshal our defence.

its time to clean out more players and staff, chaff, gas and chubba and are a good starting point

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 09:11:49 AM »
I would have kept Chub for 12 months max the other 3 however - its time. 3 maybe 4 down, another 16 or 17 to go lol  :scream

Ox

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 12:16:40 PM »
get rid of all of them.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 01:11:14 PM »
I am all for bringing on the young players but I don't think we are in a position to get rid of both.

I cannot believe they would seriously consider parting with Chubba  :gobdrop Gas yeah maybe but Chubba  :gobdrop

Seriously who do you replace them with?

Thursfield will be a good player no doubt but he is coming back from a nasty reco.

Sure Joel B has been great down back the last 3 years but to expect him to hold an inexperience backline together is a a massive ask.

And quite frankly I want to play finals next season and I just don't see how having a inexperience baby backline will give us a chance to do that - I want to continue the march forward not go backwards
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 03:57:12 PM »
The thinking might be that Chubba is no KPP anyway and that Joel, Paddy and maybe one or two young guys can play his role yet have more precise foot skills rebounding out of defence.

If we do offload one or both of Gas and Chubba you'd reckon we'll be pretty active come trade week.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 03:58:27 PM »

And quite frankly I want to play finals next season and I just don't see how having a inexperience baby backline will give us a chance to do that - I want to continue the march forward not go backwards

we can make finals next yr without chubba, we have not suffered in defence since he has been out with a hammy, sure we may have earlier this year but the kids are showing they are developing fast and good

we dont need these players in their over the hill yrs unless they are as vital as richo