Author Topic: Favourite photos  (Read 9354 times)

Moi

Re: Favourite photos
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2006, 11:26:03 PM »
Awesome Tiga - they're so clear  :thumbsup

Have no fear I won't copy or anything, but there's really nothing you can do to stop someone saving a copy of them unfortunately.  I'm sure there's lots of photos out there that people would want to share - but like you, scared they'll end up everywhere.

We are privileged to have them here, Tiga  :thumbsup

Glad you like them Moi.
 I don't mind anyone saving them and viewing them for their own personal use. It's when people rip them off to make money from them that I will object to. I have over 100 glass negs of various pics from Australia's yesteryear. These are only a small sample but they are some of my favorites. These were scanned on a really ordinary scanner and saved at 800x600 so they are not printable quality anyway. You should see the originals. They are as good as the day they were taken with the exception of a few dots and scratches that have occured over time. Some of them are over 100 years old.

I spoke to a lady at the powerhouse museum here is Sydney and she was pressuring me to donate them because I suspect she knew what they were worth. Fat chance. One guy at a photographic forum said he saw some glass negs of just ordinary stuff going for $4000 each about 8 years ago. I have a very rare candid of Albert Namatjira painting in the bush which I've been told is worth a few bob. I had them all stored away in security storage when I found out that they were worth something. I was thinking of selling prints online to make some extra cash rather than sell them off. Do you think people would spend money on large prints of images like these? They certainly have a general interest factor but I have no idea if people would part with their hard earned to put them up in their living room. Maybe if I frame them they might be more appealing.
Ever thought of donating them to the National Library or New South Wales State Library.
I've got an email address of a guy I contacted at the National Library which I'll send you if you're interested.
He took that photo of me mum to a committee of the National Library to see if they wanted to purchase it.  Got knocked back, but suggested i go to the NSW library.  Haven't done so as yet, because I'm not sure it's a quality enough photo, even though I like it.
But if you want to, I'll PM you with his email addy
There are collectors who would be very interested in them.  What about auction houses?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2006, 12:07:28 AM »
A couple of favourite samples from the book: Building the Sydney Harbour Bridge - The Photography of Henri Mallard
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2006, 12:09:18 AM »
No OH&S in them days

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2006, 12:12:10 AM »
Don't look down  :-\

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2006, 08:19:29 AM »
They are brilliant MT. :thumbsup Those guys had no fear! I bet they would make good midfielders.  :lol I think I have some similar pics in my collection.
The hardest part for me is dating & identifying them. Sure some of them are easy but some are very obscure like some bullock dray negs I have. Someone said I could identify them by the markings on the wool bails. Apparently there is a book called 'The Mechanical eye on Australia" which might be helpful. Hase anyone got or seen this book?? I'm finding it a hard one to trace. None of my local Libraries have it.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2006, 02:23:28 PM »
Apparently there is a book called 'The Mechanical eye on Australia" which might be helpful. Hase anyone got or seen this book?? I'm finding it a hard one to trace. None of my local Libraries have it.

You live in NSW don't ya tiga?

-------

Alan Davies has been Curator of Photographs at the State Library of New South Wales since 1989. He has produced numerous catalogues for photographic exhibitions and his previous books include The Mechanical Eye in Australia: Photography 1841-1900, At Work and Play: Our Past in Pictures and Sydney Exposures: Through the Eyes of Sam Hood and his Studio.

http://www.mup.unimelb.edu.au/catalogue/0-522-85133-9.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2006, 08:36:45 PM »
A photo of Richmond's U19 1985 premiership side.

I'll leave for you guys to guess a few of the young faces in it who went on to play senior footy (and not just for the Tiges).

Click on it to enlarge the photo.

Moi

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2006, 01:14:18 AM »
Is Hoggy third from right in back row
And is Scotty Turner 2nd row 2nd from left
Brendan Bower back row 3rd from left

Scratching my head here - really don't know any of them lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2006, 03:17:31 AM »
Is Hoggy third from right in back row
And is Scotty Turner 2nd row 2nd from left
Brendan Bower back row 3rd from left

Scratching my head here - really don't know any of them lol

Yep that's a young Hoggy  :thumbsup.

I don't have the names so your guess is as good as mine lol but I think 1985 was too early for Turner and Bower although now that you mention it that guy does look a bit like Scotty.

There's one other obvious Tiger in row two who captained that team and had a older brother playing at Richmond. There's also a "future" Melbourne player of the late 80s and a Springvale player. Bonus marks if you know who the coach is (played with Fitzroy).

Moi

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2006, 04:55:24 AM »
There's one other obvious Tiger in row two who captained that team and had a older brother playing at Richmond. There's also a "future" Melbourne player of the late 80s and a Springvale player. Bonus marks if you know who the coach is (played with Fitzroy).
Is that Justin Pickering left of the coach?

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2006, 11:56:39 AM »
Apparently there is a book called 'The Mechanical eye on Australia" which might be helpful. Hase anyone got or seen this book?? I'm finding it a hard one to trace. None of my local Libraries have it.

You live in NSW don't ya tiga?

-------

Alan Davies has been Curator of Photographs at the State Library of New South Wales since 1989. He has produced numerous catalogues for photographic exhibitions and his previous books include The Mechanical Eye in Australia: Photography 1841-1900, At Work and Play: Our Past in Pictures and Sydney Exposures: Through the Eyes of Sam Hood and his Studio.

http://www.mup.unimelb.edu.au/catalogue/0-522-85133-9.html

Thanks MT! Yes I do live in NSW. I might pay the state library a visit to see if they can help me out. Thanks also for the book references.  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2006, 04:47:44 PM »
Is that Justin Pickering left of the coach?

Correct Moi :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2007, 11:05:38 PM »
This pic has been doing the rounds on the net in the last day or so  :lol.

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2007, 11:59:34 PM »
Haha I love it  :thumbsup
Pity the guy is a nuff-nuff...
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!