Author Topic: Duncan Kellaway & Matt Rogers to announce retirements  (Read 6060 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Duncan Kellaway & Matt Rogers to announce retirements
« on: July 05, 2004, 09:04:00 PM »
Channel 7 news reported tonight that Duncan & Matt Rogers will announce their retirements tomorrow and will play their final games on Saturday against the Bombers. There is supposed to be a press conference tomorrow

SEN also reported this story as well
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Bulluss

Re: Duncan Kellaway & Matt Rogers to announce retirements
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 09:28:52 PM »
thanks WP,

i seen something on the news but couldnt hear over my 2 screaming little tiger cubs!!!

we will win for sure this week!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 11:08:02 PM »
Will Duncan be playing? I think they mentioned he had some kidney injury  ???.

Does this mean Kelvin Moore can stay on the senior list? Be good if that's so.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 11:18:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure Moore can stay no matter what MT because we have had one spare spot on the list all year.

Also pretty sure you can't promote a rookie in the case of retirement.

I'm not sure if Moore was promoted to that spare spot or for AK's long-term injury.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 11:20:37 PM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 11:29:42 PM »
Thanks for that FF. I thought Kel was promoted as a result of AK being placed on the long-term injury list. I remember, it might have been Greg Miller on club corner a week or two ago, mentioning Kel had 4 more weeks at that time. Not certain if that's correct though. If we can keep him on the senior list due to the extra spot anyhow then that's great news.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 11:35:56 PM by mightytiges »

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 12:25:30 AM »
 ???Just listened to the Richmond show on Sport927. The retirement report was mentioned and said to be just a rumour. They were very coy, saying to wait and see.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 07:57:13 AM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

froars

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 05:54:04 AM »
Some classic stuff on Duncs/Rog from Diggs/Laff on PRE lol  ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 08:23:33 AM »
Thanks for that FF. I thought Kel was promoted as a result of AK being placed on the long-term injury list. I remember, it might have been Greg Miller on club corner a week or two ago, mentioning Kel had 4 more weeks at that time. Not certain if that's correct though. If we can keep him on the senior list due to the extra spot anyhow then that's great news.

Just to clarify Kel Moore's promotion to the senior list.

Kyle Archibald (severe OP) was put on the long term injury list (not AK) and as a result Moore was promoted. Archibald is training and it is hoped he will be able to play in the next 4-6 weeks for Coburg. Moore was/is slated to go back to the rookie list at this time. I am not quite sure whether he can remain on the senior list if these 2 retire.

FF is on the money we are one short on our list but I would think that it will now depend on our salary cap position

;)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Duncan Kellaway & Matt Rogers Announce Retirements
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 12:13:15 PM »
Rogers and D.Kellaway call it a day
6 July, 2004
Samantha Lane
Sportal

More change is afoot at Punt Road, after two veteran Tigers, Duncan Kellaway and Matthew Rogers, announced their retirement from football on Tuesday.

Kellaway, 31, will not add to his 180-game tally, after battling various hamstring and foot injuries in recent years and eventually succumbing to the kidney complaint he suffered in a VFL match two weeks ago.

The courageous Tiger played seven matches in the final rounds of last year, and played what would be his final senior game in round 12 against Fremantle at the MCG this year.

Rogers, who at the beginning of his 11th season, was only four matches short of reaching 200 senior games. He will play his final, and only, match this year against Essendon on Saturday, taking his career tally to 197 matches.

Kellaway, the elder brother of Tiger Andrew, would have missed the rest of the season with the serious kidney bruising and has therefore made his retirement effectively immediately.

The seemingly fearless defender/on-baller finished second in Richmond's best-and-fairest award in 1997 and third in 1994, in what was just his second season.

Rogers, 30, played 17 matches last year, predominately in defence, but was also a handy tagger and fill-in forward over his career.

He was the club's leading goal kicker in 2000, when Matthew Richardson was sidelined by injury. But like Kellaway, he has recently struggled with form and injury.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=158511
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 12:15:36 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 02:54:19 PM »
As long as Rogers isn't brought in at the expense of a youngster then it's a good gesture by the club.

The changing of the guard is almost complete with only Cambo and Richo left from the Northey days and a question mark over the former's plans for next year. 

Ox

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 04:23:41 PM »
What actually happened to Rogers to start his fall from semi grace.???

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 04:36:45 PM »
What actually happened to Rogers to start his fall from semi grace.???

In a word Ox - injuries.

He was having a good pre-season until he tore his thigh muscle quite badly in February and then he hurt is knee when was coming back from the thigh injury. I believe they had him down to play forward near Richo as small leading forward as he had bulked up a fair bit.

I watched him on Sunday playing for Coburg and he struggled a bit for pace. Tried very hard though.

Personally, I have no problem with them giving him a final game, - he deserves it. He kicked 2 goals in the final quarter of the 1995 semi - that sealed the game for us.

I wish both Mathew and Duncan all the very best and thank them for being loyal Tigers.  :)

Bulluss

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 04:40:15 PM »
They sure do deserve a send off, it wont hurt us in any way and it could give us a boost to beat the Essendon scum. If we only win one more game for the rest of the year please let it be this week.

I am 27 years old and growing up in the Northern suburbs most of my friends are Essendon supporters. All my time through primary school and most of high school we were crap and boy did i cop it. But as Danny would say i have "Stuck fat" and everytime we beat the bombers i never forget it.

Lets stick it up Sheedy and give Duncs and Rogo a big send off.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 04:45:52 PM »
Two special Tigers
6 July, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal/exclusive to afl.com.au

It is quite fitting Matthew Rogers will play his 197th and final game of his AFL career against Essendon at the MCG on Saturday.

Rogers, who announced his retirement with Duncan Kellaway on Tuesday, has been given one last chance to farewell the 'Tiger Army" - a privilege the ultra-courageous Kellaway will not have due to severe bruising of the kidney, which would have sidelined him for the rest of the season anyway.

While Kellaway will be remembered as one of the bravest players of the modern era and for his continued ability to shut down the best opposition midfielders, Rogers' career at Richmond, without in any way showing any disrespect to his fine efforts over more than a decade - will be remembered mostly by Tigers' fans for one game.

In fact it is not going too far to say the 30-year-old, who joined the club at the start of the 1994 season from South Australia, gave long-suffering Tiger fans their most memorable moment in the past 22 years, since the club's last finals appearance in 1982.

It came in a thrilling 1995 second semi final when the Tigers took on arch-rivals Essendon before more than 88,000 fans at the MCG.

Richmond was in its first finals series for 13 years and desperate for some September success, after having lost to the Kangaroos the previous week.

And when the Bombers led by five goals late in the third term, it appeared the Tigers were going to go out of their long-awaited return finals series in "straight sets."

But a devastating five goal burst late in the third term saw the Tigers go into the last quarter with a one point lead.

Then for about half of an agonising final quarter neither side was able to kick a goal as the Tigers hung on to a narrow lead before Rogers, in just his second season, wrote his name into Tigers' folklore.

Two terrific marks in the space of a minute were both followed by cool conversions from around 25 metres out and suddenly the Tigers were on their way to their most famous victory of the modern era.

In years to come Rogers would win the Tigers' goalkicking award in 2000, when Matthew Richardson missed nearly all of the season with a serious foot injury, while in later years he also made the transition to that of tagger.

But if you ask any Richmond fan to name their most prominent memory of "Buck" Rogers, then 99.9 percent would name those two glorious goals on that sun-drenched afternoon in September, 1995.

As for Duncan Kellaway his contribution to the Tigers as such that it is almost impossible to highlight just one particular moment of his career.

While his kicking often gave Tiger fans' heart scares so awkward was his style, Kellaway was in many ways the heart and soul of Punt Road over the past decade.

From his memorable battles with Collingwood skipper Nathan Buckley, to name just one of the superstars he quelled over the year, to his ability to emerge unscathed from even the most incredible acts of bravery - Kellaway was a cult figure amongst Richmond supporters.

The first of only 12 goals he would kick in his 180 game career - in an otherwise forgettable last season match against Port Adelaide at the MCG in late 1997 - also provoked scenes of hysteria from Tiger fans such was his popularity.

Unfortunately in later years Kellaway's ferocious style of play would take a huge toll on his body as he suffered two knee re-constructions, then an achilles injury, then a thigh injury which cost him the first half of 2002 while hamstring and foot injuries cost him most of 2003.

But such was Kellaway's devotion to the club that even during these frustrating periods on the sidelines, the qualified physiotherapist would still help out in the treatment of his teammates.

It will be sad Richmond fans won't get one last chance to watch Kellaway throw himself into a contest with no regard for his safety but the greatest tribute one could pay to him is he well and truly deserves his place alongside the other great number threes to have played for Richmond - Roger Dean and Dale Weightman.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=158574

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 05:17:18 PM »
One memory I have of Duncan is one that still makes me laugh.  It was back in 1996 and me and my footy mates went up for the game when we played against the Swans at the SCG.

It might have been in the second half, I think, that Tony Lockett was starting to have a bit (when I say a bit, I mean a lot) of influence on the game and we just ran out of options of who to put on him.  And, at one stage, it looked like Duncan had a stint on him :o (believe it or not).

Anyway, there was one incident where Duncan and Plugger collided and I remember Duncan just bouncing off Plugger. ;D

It wasn’t a good day at the office, but at least that made me laugh. ;D

I remember Duncan playing on names like Ablett, Carey, Hird, Buckley and there's lots of other big name players he was up against.  What he lacked in height and weight, he made up for with courage, determination and a never say die spirit.

He would sometimes take your breath away with the courage he showed and we probably forget just how courageous he has been.

Until injuries started to take their toll, he was one of the most consistent players for the Club.

He made the most of the ability he had and gave his all whenever he put a Richmond jumper on.  You can't ask more than that.

Well played Duncan.  Thanks for the memories.