Author Topic: Future Father-Sons  (Read 16727 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Future Father-Sons
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2009, 04:58:14 PM »

Wallace only had a development coach from his 3rd year. - Flabbergasted as to why.

Money - pure and simple. Many will judge the club's 5 year plan on on-field results alone and almost solely apportion blame to Wallace.  The plan has not succeeded but it hasn't been all Wallace's fault by a long stretch.  In racing parlance - he never saw daylight in the run.  Whether the coaching group were the best trainer/jockey combination is another issue entirely.

Your right it hasn't been his fault he got asked to make a raft with wood and nails but with no hammer.

Shocking decision to go through a development stage with no money allocated for the core development coaching. Can thank a few players high salaries for not having much money left over. Not the only reason why but one of the main ones. Hopefully we can cull a few high earners to allow some of the money allocated for the football department.
Go Tigers!

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2009, 10:20:30 PM »

Wallace only had a development coach from his 3rd year. - Flabbergasted as to why.

Money - pure and simple. Many will judge the club's 5 year plan on on-field results alone and almost solely apportion blame to Wallace.  The plan has not succeeded but it hasn't been all Wallace's fault by a long stretch.  In racing parlance - he never saw daylight in the run.  Whether the coaching group were the best trainer/jockey combination is another issue entirely.

Your right it hasn't been his fault he got asked to make a raft with wood and nails but with no hammer.

Shocking decision to go through a development stage with no money allocated for the core development coaching. Can thank a few players high salaries for not having much money left over. Not the only reason why but one of the main ones. Hopefully we can cull a few high earners to allow some of the money allocated for the football department.

Not the players but one senior coach and ex-football manager who chose a big salary themselves over more resource dedicated to recruiting and player development. That was THEIR call with the money left over after paying their salary.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2009, 07:22:53 AM »
Not the players but one senior coach and ex-football manager who chose a big salary themselves over more resource dedicated to recruiting and player development. That was THEIR call with the money left over after paying their salary.

Just on the ex-football manager you speak of I don't think you can say he was on big $$$ for the position he hled. If you look at the Full financials of the past couple of years you'll clearly see what he was on (legally it had to be disclosed because he was a direcotr as well as an employee) and it seems small for the position.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2009, 07:54:43 AM »

Not this administration's fault either.  Said coach (and ex-football manager although I dispute his salary was 'big' by any stretch) was employed by the cancerous administration that nearly sent us broke and put us in that situation in the first place.  How it can be THEIR fault I can only guess - would it be your fault if your boss paid you well and then went broke?

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2009, 10:50:49 PM »
Josh Free

Jumper No:  7
Date of Birth:  02/07/1991
Height:  176cm
Weight:  78kg
Local Club:  Swan Hill/Ballarat & Clarendon College

http://www.sportingpulse.com/gallery.cgi?g=10583&c=1-3020-27610-0-0&e=27610&et=3&ci=8&ti=0&a=prev
certainly looks like he will fill out to be a solid kind of build for his stature, we are likely to have 7 or 8 selections this year...He would be ideal for that R8 pick :gotigers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2009, 07:15:53 PM »

Not this administration's fault either.  Said coach (and ex-football manager although I dispute his salary was 'big' by any stretch) was employed by the cancerous administration that nearly sent us broke and put us in that situation in the first place.  How it can be THEIR fault I can only guess - would it be your fault if your boss paid you well and then went broke?

Smokey, if I was in a position to be employed in a senior role with a company and effectively said pay me more to do 3 or 4 peoples job - I would be guilty of setting myself up for failure. Good people make the difference.
And yes, I would be strong enough to say no to the money and yes to the resource to be successful in the role. Because in the end, in the long term when you win in sport or business, it is then that the money normally comes - the job just gives you permission to try.
Whichever way you cut it, when you take the responsibility - make it happen or die on the sword.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2009, 04:11:43 PM »
Josh Free was mentioned by Kevin Sheahan on Hutchy's show earlier today. Borrowed this summary from Richosgun on BF:

* Named second best for the rebels yesterday
* Polled 2 votes in the coaches votes
* Kevin Sheahan praised him saying he looks a very good "hard inside footballer"
* Richmond have applied to have Josh Free down to train with them over the next three months, which your allowed to do with potential father-sons
* Measurements: 176cm, 78kg

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14797165&postcount=34

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2009, 10:13:42 PM »
Richmond have applied to have Josh Free down to train with them over the next three months, which your allowed to do with potential father-sons
No harm done getting him down to Punt Rd on a trial when we could grab him with the last pick in the draft if he's any good. You'd doubt another club would bid for him given his lack of height. He would need a good burst of pace on him if he has any chance of making it at AFL level at just 176cm tall.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2009, 06:02:07 PM »
Richmond have applied to have Josh Free down to train with them over the next three months, which your allowed to do with potential father-sons
No harm done getting him down to Punt Rd on a trial when we could grab him with the last pick in the draft if he's any good. You'd doubt another club would bid for him given his lack of height. He would need a good burst of pace on him if he has any chance of making it at AFL level at just 176cm tall.
at 176cm and 78kg it must be a relief for the Free family to see the back of TW. because the boy was too tall and heavy to be playing for Richmond.  ;D
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2009, 09:41:21 AM »
At his age, you'd expect that he'd put on another cm or two in the next 12-24 months.
Question is, at his height he's really only going to be a good small forward or rover at AFL level, maybe a back pocket to play on those small goal sneaks. But the big thing all those types of players have going for them is their speed, does Josh have that?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2009, 06:44:33 PM »
Free was named in the bests again for the Rebels (22 disposals, 11 marks, 6 tackles, 1 goal) although they got flogged by 70 points and the TAC Cup teams are weaker at the moment with the better players playing in the U18 Champs.

Here's his stats for the year so far:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?player=Josh%20Free&action=PSTATS&pID=188650878&client=1-3020-0-81015-8058800

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »
TJ (Tony Junior) needs to get taller, 176cm is a question. yes, Richmond have Foley, King, Nahas that are under 180cm, but how many can we have? if he is like Tony, well, Tony Free was a favourite player of mine when i young, so my answer will be draft him!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2009, 06:17:11 PM »
At his age, you'd expect that he'd put on another cm or two in the next 12-24 months.
Question is, at his height he's really only going to be a good small forward or rover at AFL level, maybe a back pocket to play on those small goal sneaks. But the big thing all those types of players have going for them is their speed, does Josh have that?
I don't believe so Infamy so that's the knock on Free junior (short but not overtly quick). Then again Foley worked on improving his speed when he got to Punt Rd.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2009, 07:03:45 PM »
I don't believe so Infamy so that's the knock on Free junior (short but not overtly quick). Then again Foley worked on improving his speed when he got to Punt Rd.
Thing with Foley was at lower levels he always looked like he had plenty of time to get rid of the ball, he also was a frequent visitor to the Alfred with severe leather poisoning. Personally I never really noticed the lack of pace, but hopefully we can get Free for cheap and he turns out to be a gun.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:35:41 PM by Infamy »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2009, 10:52:45 PM »
Thing with Foley was at lower levels he always looked like he had plenty of time to get rid of the ball, he also was a frequent visitor to the Alfred with severe poisoning. Personally I never really noticed the lack of pace, but hopefully we can get Free for cheap and he turns out to be a gun.
Well if we get Free for pick 90 say or as a rookie then we really don't have anything to lose.