Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 473953 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Riewoldt to retire after this weekend's match [update]
« Reply #4050 on: August 15, 2023, 11:44:55 AM »

Richmond superstar Jack Riewoldt will retire from AFL football following this weekend's match against North Melbourne.

The Club's second all-time leading goal kicker, triple premiership hero, three-time All Australian, three-time Coleman Medallist, and dual Jack Dyer Medallist informed his teammates of the news today, citing that his story had come to an end.

"I am ready for the next chapter, and I think the Club is ready to regenerate and find a new path forward," he said.

"I never thought my journey would get this far or that I would be a part of anything like what I have been. But I am so thankful for everyone who has played a part."

Riewoldt said that instead of being sad his career was over, he would spend his energy being happy that it happened.

"It is so important to realise your own story, and while my career has been a long one, it started the same way as everyone that walks into the doors with hope and curiosity and excitement, and I have just been lucky that so many people have invested in me," he said.

"I will miss everything really, but most of all, it will be that I miss the battle and all that comes with playing for this Club.”

Riewoldt added that he was "lucky and proud" to have been a part of setting up the Club to connect with generations of Richmond people.

"37 years is a long time not to have success, so to have been a part of a group that helped change Richmond forever and possibly how the game is played on and off the field is something I am extremely proud of."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1405386/riewoldt-set-for-mcg-farewell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4051 on: August 15, 2023, 11:47:46 AM »
Richmond CEO Brendon Gale described Riewoldt as a fierce competitor.

“Jack arrived from Tasmania as a natural footballer and with a brashness that had him seemingly destined for stardom,” he said.

“He played the game with tremendous spirit and passion and took the fans along for the ride. Jack always wanted the moment; he wanted the ball in his hands. Even early doors as we were developing, he accepted the responsibility that came with that.

“At that time, Jack was a person that gave us hope. We were still building on the field, but we had a gun forward, a Coleman Medallist... we had a star. He was Richmond, and he genuinely cared about the Club, its people and the fans, and the Tiger Army embraced him wholeheartedly.

“As Jack's football evolved, he made the players around him so much better, and unsurprisingly, the team blossomed. With his leadership and football intelligence, he was like another coach. Throw in his competitiveness and toughness, he was a key driver in transforming the fortunes of our football club.”

Gale added that Riewoldt’s legacy at the football club was profound.

“Since 1885 Richmond has been home to many of the greatest players to have played our game. However, Jack indisputably is right among them as a giant of our Club. He is in the upper echelon, in the cream.

“By weight of numbers, games played, goals kicked, awards won, and of course premierships- there is no doubt that he is one of the absolute best that has ever worn the yellow and black.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1405386/riewoldt-set-for-mcg-farewell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4052 on: August 15, 2023, 11:50:17 AM »
Jack Riewoldt will speak to the media from approximately 12.30pm today.

WATCH the LIVE STREAM here: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1405509/riewoldt-press-conference-live

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4053 on: August 15, 2023, 11:56:25 AM »
Thought I was ready for this but to think of the players now gone or going hits hard.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4054 on: August 15, 2023, 12:12:29 PM »
Bugger, it really is the end of an era. I hope we can attract a KPF over the off season

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4055 on: August 15, 2023, 12:29:40 PM »
Wonder if Tigermonk could come back on and give his summary on JR's career

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4056 on: August 15, 2023, 12:54:12 PM »
When Richo retired Jack just took on what richo embodied so quickly.. the emotion for the club, the game, the jumper.. Who will be what jack was to richo ?

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4057 on: August 15, 2023, 12:55:19 PM »
Rance gone

Cotch about to

Dusty has another couple of years probably

Not sure I'm ready to say bye to Jack. Have loved watching him play and he's exactly my age to the day, same birthday and all. Watching him retire would just make me feel old and sad I think lol

I'm definitely not ready.

Very sad today watching his presser.

I know he's basically cooked but he was doing his best for the club. Not his fault the club didn't play other talls to back him up.

Probably my favourite player since Richo.

I'm quite devo. Going to be a very sad game on Saturday.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #4058 on: August 15, 2023, 01:07:58 PM »
Legend of the club.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4059 on: August 15, 2023, 01:26:06 PM »
An all time great. I think the positive is that I can say to my grandkids one day - i was there when Jack, Cotch and Dusty held the premiership cup aloft.
What a privilege.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #4060 on: August 15, 2023, 01:26:16 PM »
if its his call then so be it, if its not then the club can go and get stuffed the way they rag dolled him this year.

His call

As always put the Club first
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4061 on: August 15, 2023, 01:33:01 PM »
One of the best speeches i have ever heard, if not the best.

An absolute champion.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4062 on: August 15, 2023, 02:46:43 PM »
Champion he was never forget all those years he was the only tall in that system and sacrificed his game for the ream and 2017 he was unbelievable.His did the right thing today I hope we don't loose him as he has one of best footy brains in the system.he

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #4063 on: August 15, 2023, 03:17:00 PM »
If Mini has any guts he should drop Riewoldt and cotchin …..,,. Just saying 🤓

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #4064 on: August 15, 2023, 06:17:56 PM »
I'm disgusted that his highlights video is only 2 minutes long.

We need a video of every single goal, and at least 10 minutes  of screamers, goals and JR brilliance.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do