Author Topic: NRL thread  (Read 56516 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: NRL - Melbourne Storm
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2010, 07:48:49 PM »
If there was any truth to this it would be a free kick to the AFL on Gold Coast. GC17 comes in with both the NRL and A-league teams in crisis.

Interesting that the NRL wants to expand into the Central Coast (hardly expansion as it's RL heartland) and have another go in Perth where it failed once before. The NRL doesn't really have the funds to support a Perth side if it struggles. There'll be no News Ltd to prop it up as it does the Storm. They're obviously counting on a substancial increase in $$$ from tv rights. It's certainly getting a very crowded sporting market amongst the football codes.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Melbourne Storm salary cap breaches total $3.17m since 2006 (H-Sun)
« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2010, 02:38:32 PM »
Melbourne Storm salary cap breaches total $3.17m since 2006

* July 15, 2010 UPDATE 1pm:

FIVE managers have been identified by News Limited chairman John Hartigan as the "rats in the ranks" that orchestrated a $3.17m salary cap rort at Melbourne Storm.

Mr Hartigan said the investigation identified five managers who were involved in cheating the system, labelling them "rats in the ranks''.

He named former chief executive Brian Waldron, as well as Matt Hanson, Paul Gregory, Peter O'Sullivan and Cameron Vale.

Mr Hartigan said 13 players - including seven current members of the squad - had received payments or benefits from third parties that fell outside the cap.

He said there was no evidence to suggest the players had known the payments could contribute to the club breaching the salary cap.

The players named were Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis, Cooper Cronk, Ryan Hoffman, Anthony Quinn and Brett White and former players Dallas Johnson, Will Chambers, Mick Crocker, Matt Geyer, Steve Turner and Antonio Kaufusi.

"Regrettably not one of the players agreed to co-operate with the investigation," Mr Hartigan said. "In my view it's totally unacceptable.

"I'm pleased to confirm that (coach) Craig Bellamy did co-operate with News Ltd's investigators.'' He added that Mr Bellamy was unaware of any wrongdoing.

Mr Hartigan said the main method used to conceal extra payments to players was through third party payments, from companies including the Unity Foundation and the McManus Group.

However, he said there was no evidence to suggest these companies knew the payments could contribute to a salary cap breach.

Full article here:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/melbourne-storm-rort-report-to-shock-nation-john-hartigan/story-e6frfgbo-1225892035886

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2010, 11:48:06 PM »
The NRL salary cap is $4.5m I believe so the Storm are 33% over the cap  :o. Hard to see the Storm now holding onto their star players if they have to make such a huge cut to get back under the cap. No star players means less wins and bandwagon fans will drop off. Not good for NRL in Melbourne no matter what Gallop says.

FNM

« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2010, 07:21:34 AM »
Not sure why they sacked the independent directors, Peter Maher being my ex boss and Petra a work colleague.
If they've done nothing wrong, why were they dismissed?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
Not sure why they sacked the independent directors, Peter Maher being my ex boss and Petra a work colleague.

Hmmm call me cynical......

But I reckon it has something to do with the fact the News Limited who own the Storm and control half of the NRL are trying to rid themselves of any blame in this. Easiets way to do that is have the independant go so they can't say anything about New Limited

News Limited's handling of this latest report by Deliottes and the way they've leaked it to themsleves is nothing short of disgraceful but at the same time sums them up beautiful IMO
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

FNM

« Reply #185 on: July 16, 2010, 07:32:28 AM »

Hmmm call me cynical......

But I reckon it has something to do with the fact the News Limited who own the Storm and control half of the NRL are trying to rid themselves of any blame in this. Easiets way to do that is have the independant go so they can't say anything about New Limited

News Limited's handling of this latest report by Deliottes and the way they've leaked it to themsleves is nothing short of disgraceful but at the same time sums them up beautiful IMO
Sums up my thoughts pretty much  :thumbsup

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #186 on: July 16, 2010, 08:45:52 AM »
Just reading through the articles today made me realsie how absolutely devestated I would be if this were Richmond.
I jumped on the storm wagon day one and I was growing to love the club, still support them and will follow them but this has sort of left me non plussed, just don't really know how to justify to myself the success they have had, knowing that other teams aren't all squeaky clean helps a bit.
Gunna be a tough couple of years for the storm and good on Bellamy for sticking it out, hope we come out the other end and stick it up them all over again.

JUST GLAD IT WASN'T MY TIGERS - WOULDN'T KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH THAT AT ALL !!!!!!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #187 on: July 17, 2010, 12:35:33 AM »
Just reading through the articles today made me realsie how absolutely devestated I would be if this were Richmond.
I jumped on the storm wagon day one and I was growing to love the club, still support them and will follow them but this has sort of left me non plussed, just don't really know how to justify to myself the success they have had, knowing that other teams aren't all squeaky clean helps a bit.
Gunna be a tough couple of years for the storm and good on Bellamy for sticking it out, hope we come out the other end and stick it up them all over again.

JUST GLAD IT WASN'T MY TIGERS - WOULDN'T KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH THAT AT ALL !!!!!!
We came pretty close in 1990  :P

Although it was due to mismanagement and incompetence rather than League imposed penalties for systematic cheating, we came pretty close to our mid 1980s' directors and administrators killing off Richmond by losing our best players (they walked out) and us losing $1.5m in 1985 (equivalent to losing $15m in today's terms relative to revenue). It screwed us up for 25 years financially and in terms of lack of modern training infrastructure, the effects of which we are still dealing with and only now just catching up to the other clubs. If it wasn't for our supporters putting their hands in their pockets Richmond would've ceased to exist in October 1990.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2010, 06:37:05 PM »
It's going to be sad no longer seeing Inglis with the Storm. The Broncos have done well effectively replacing Falou with Inglis in the same role.

Offline tugga

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »
Inglis is horribly overrated. Did you see him stuff almost everything he did up yesterday against the Rabbits? Great player when on song, but that only seems to be in rep games. Best possible outcome was for him to leave and keep three better players and also resign Manu, Neilson and Blair.
We will rise again and when we do, they will know.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #190 on: August 17, 2010, 01:54:32 AM »
Inglis is horribly overrated. Did you see him stuff almost everything he did up yesterday against the Rabbits? Great player when on song, but that only seems to be in rep games. Best possible outcome was for him to leave and keep three better players and also resign Manu, Neilson and Blair.
The Storm will miss Inglis from a publicity/marketing p.o.v.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »
Those league boys at the roosters are all class,

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/new-disgrace-as-rooster-rookies-defecate-in-hotel/story-e6frexnr-1225916767285

YOU just can't believe it.

A year after Nate Myles was suspended for six matches and fined $50,000 for defecating in a hotel, two more Sydney Roosters players have performed the same disgusting and vile act.

The Roosters yesterday sacked Toyota Cup players Sam Brunton and Anthony Gelling, who are accused of defecating on tables and the floor of rooms at the Holiday Inn, Townsville, last weekend.

The Roosters were in North Queensland to play the Cowboys last Saturday night.

A cleaner claimed the rooms were "disgusting, absolutely disgusting".

The club issued a media statement yesterday but attempted to cover up the players' names and their repulsive, shameful indiscretion.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2010, 11:38:35 PM »
Those league boys at the roosters are all class,
Alcohol and moronic footballers don't mix :help

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2010, 08:01:29 PM »
A Saints side finally won a Grand Final this week  ;D.

Congrats to tiga's dragons. Hopefully breaking a 31 year drought is an omen for Richmond  :pray.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2010, 04:37:23 PM »
Sounds like the Bunnies are getting serious. First snatching Inglis away from the Broncos and now the word is Wayne Bennett may leave St George to coach them  :o.