Author Topic: Umpires today / New rule interpretations ruining footy  (Read 1962 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Umpires today / New rule interpretations ruining footy
« on: April 07, 2007, 05:57:04 PM »
What a joke  :banghead. That second quarter was an absolute disgrace. Let them play for god's sake  >:(

Add to that last week they paid holding the ball like anything yet today just one  ::).

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: New rule interpretations ruining footy
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 07:25:41 PM »
Dear Umps,

Yes obviously this week's rule of the week was not to pay holding the ball when blokes jumped on top of it and just to make it all the more exciting :sleep we wont even call for a ball up we'll enjoy a few rugby scrums and them do something. - Well done it makes a great specticle :wallywink

You motto today was: We wont reward good tackles - we'll just ball it up (and Richie Tambling it was a bloody good tackle!!!) - well done we want more of that  :wallywink

As for the hands in the back - Richo poor bugger clearly doesn't have a back  ::) but this week you theory quite clearly was "we'll pay it one out of 5 - that'll get the paying public" confused.  :clapping :wallywink

Then just to top it off - that rule about chopping the arms - you know the one from last year - I don't think it's changed this year - well if you could look at paying that sometime this season I'd appreciate it  :wallywink

Grant Thomas (and I am not a fan of his at all) said the umps role is to NOT be noticed - newsflash today we noticed you - waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much

:wallywink :wallywink :wallywink

:wallywink
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Bulluss

Umpires today
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 08:24:59 PM »
I am not normally one to whinge about the umpiring but i thought that we got shafted today, especially when it came to consistency.

The swans got a lot of things that we didnt when they were on the the other foot.

I dont really think the swans got many free kicks that they didnt deserve but more so they wouldnt pay the same type of incident back to us.

It didnt cost us the game but is still very annoying.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: New rule interpretations ruining footy
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 08:29:52 PM »
Touch a Swan with incidental contact at a ball-up and it's a free but ripping a Tigers head off 5m in front of the ump it's play on  ::).

Or how about deliberate out of bounds. Krak pushes the ball along the boundary towards goal and his Swan opponent just knocks it straight out of bounds. No free ::).

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Re: Umpires today
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 11:20:42 PM »
I am not normally one to whinge about the umpiring but i thought that we got shafted today, especially when it came to consistency.

The swans got a lot of things that we didnt when they were on the the other foot.

I dont really think the swans got many free kicks that they didnt deserve but more so they wouldnt pay the same type of incident back to us.

It didnt cost us the game but is still very annoying.

My thoughts exactly Bull.
After a day of frustrating umpiring I was particularly peeved that Gaspar didn't get rewarded for that tackle in the last quarter.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Umpires today / New rule interpretations ruining footy
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 05:45:22 AM »
Ch 10 were discussing the discrepancy in holding the ball decisions from last week to this week. They showed 3 examples and 2 of them were from our game of Swans players ducking their heads and diving on the ball making no attempt to get rid of it and the ump just crossing his arms  :banghead. Even Christen and Maher were saying these would have been holding the ball in round 1. What a farce that interpretations can change so dramatically in one week  >:(.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 07:15:36 AM »
as i said in another thread

the umpires absolutely crucified u this easter weekend!

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 11:50:26 PM »
as i said in another thread

the umpires absolutely crucified u this easter weekend!

Absolutely deplorable.The TV and radio commentators thought the same.
This sounds like the comment of a sore loser looking for excuses but WTF has our club done to deserve the rubbish that we had handed out to us on Saturday?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 08:52:23 PM »
Looking back at the game it was probably one of the worst for a long long time for players (mostly from Swans) deliberately ducking into tackles to pinch a free. They picked up quickly the umps were falling for it. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 06:29:41 PM »
The ump responsible for most of the dodgy decisions against us last week has been dropped :clapping.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 06:32:18 PM »
The ump responsible for most of the dodgy decisions against us last week has been dropped :clapping.

bit late, already cost us 4 pts

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 06:44:21 PM »

bit late, already cost us 4 pts
Don't hold your breath this week either X.

Field umpires: Stevic, Grun, McInerney

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 05:11:33 AM »
So much for the new push in the back rule. In for round 1 and hasn't been seen since  ???.

As for illegal disposal/throwing the ball, allowed for 3 quarters but not the last  ???.

I'm not saying the umps had any effect on the result as this went for both sides but :help

letsgetiton!

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 01:58:38 PM »

I'm not saying the umps had any effect on the result as this went for both sides but :help

they did .

the umpires seem to be anti tigers week in week out. we alway sget the rough end of the stick

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 02:20:19 PM »
It was insane to see Richo bundled out of the marking competition during the first quarter right in front of the umpire and he simply waved play on...from there, I had time to yell ball 5 times(!!!!!!!!!!!) before the umpire deemed the dogs defender had not done enough and warranted a holding the ball free kick to Greg Tivendale. As Tivs lioned up, you could see the umpire waving play on on the replay, DIRECTLY in front of the infringement. Now Richmond should DEMAND answers as to why this STILL happens to Richo more than any other player in the league. Especially when Murphy and Darcy BOTH got free kicks in front of the sticks for trying to break tackles that slipped up their arms due to the dogs players actions.
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.