Author Topic: Will Thursfield [merged]  (Read 17433 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Thursfield wants Riewoldt rematch (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 02:29:26 AM »
Thursfield wants Riewoldt rematch
30 June 2007   Herald-Sun

WILL Thursfield has waited a long time for another crack at St Kilda's Nick Riewoldt.

The young Richmond defender did a good job keeping the Saints star in check 15 months ago before suffering a knee injury that ended his 2006 season and delayed the start to this campaign.

Thursfield would like to stand Riewoldt again at Telstra Dome tonight and hopefully finish the job he couldn't complete in Round 2 of 2006.

"I'd like it," he said. "I like playing on any of the good players. It's a good challenge and I'd be happy to."

Thursfield admitted he could not help but recall the devastation of rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee last year in the lead-up to tonight's game.

"I'm trying to put it aside, but St Kilda at the Telstra Dome is the exact same game as last year," the 21-year-old said.

"Once I'm out there, I won't think about that, but I have thought about it.

"I played on him (Riewoldt) for three quarters, and at the start of the last quarter did my knee, and he ended up kicking a few goals and they ended up winning the game."

The setback also meant Thursfield went almost two years before again experiencing the thrill of playing in a winning Richmond side.

The Tigers won in the first two games in which he played, midway through the 2005 season, but he did not sing the club song until last weekend's win against Melbourne.

Having finally broken through for their first win, the Tigers are keen to have a say on the finals aspirations for several sides, starting with the 12th-placed Saints.

"We said we'd like to, in the second half of the year, scare a few finals sides, so that they're worried about playing us because we've got nothing to lose and we can go out and play attacking football," Thursfield said.

Thursfield has strung five games together since his return, taking his career tally to 12. He has been considered the successor to Tigers fullback Darren Gaspar, who retired earlier this season.

The two are good mates and speak regularly, which includes swapping notes on likely opponents.

"I'll tell him who I'm playing on and he'll give me a run down on what they're like and how he went on them," Thursfield said.

"He's a really good help, even though he's not around the place any more."

The enforced layoff allowed Thursfield a chance to become a better student of the game, as he watched a lot of football and focused on the tactics elite defenders use to keep their opponents quiet.

It's something Thursfield would like to do for a long time on the last line of defence.

"I've been given the opportunities to play there this year, and hopefully I can keep playing there over the years," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21990542%255E19771,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Welcome back Thursty
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 05:06:02 AM »
In the past 12 games since his comeback, Thursty has had a disposal efficiency of 94.4%  :o. Ranked No. 1 at the Tigers. His kicking efficiency is 92.7.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Welcome back Thursty
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 08:03:33 AM »
he is gonna be a gem and when his time is up he will be remembered as a great defender

why do i say this

because he has composure, never looks nervous, has a defenders brain, good skills and he believes in himself!  he may lack an inch or 2 in size, and maybe a kg or 10, but he has such a great reach and awsome closing speed. i already rate him as one of the best spoilers in the comp

will Will keep on going, sure will!

Moi

Congrats Will Thursfield - Rd 22 Rising Star Nomination
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 02:07:53 PM »
RICHMOND'S Will Thursfield is the final player to become eligible for the 2007 NAB AFL Rising Star, after the defender was nominated for his round 22 performance against St Kilda.

Thursfield spent the day opposed to spearhead Fraser Gehrig and, although the big Saint managed to kick five goals in his farewell game of AFL football, Thursfield battled valiantly to pick up 11 disposals and take six marks.

The 21-year-old managed just one game last season, after wrecking his knee in round two, also against St Kilda. He underwent a knee reconstruction and spent the 2006 season in the Tigers' rehabilitation group.

This year he came into the side in round eight against Adelaide and played every subsequent game to finish off the season strongly. He averaged just over nine disposals and three marks a game, and was able to bring his games tally up to 22 after two seasons on the senior list.

Thursfield was elevated from the Richmond rookie list in 2005, after being recruited by the club with the first selection overall in the rookie draft of the same year.

The former Sandringham Dragon, along with fellow emerging defender Luke McGuane, was entrusted with some big jobs this year, following the retirement of Darren Gaspar.

Thursfield becomes the first Richmond player to be nominated for the award this season, and the first since Nathan Foley won the honours in round 19 of last year.

The other nominees for the 2007 NAB AFL Rising Star are: Patrick Ryder (Essendon), Cameron Wood (Brisbane Lions), Tom Hawkins (Geelong), Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood), Joel Selwood (Geelong), Ricky Petterd (Melbourne), Jesse Smith (Kangaroos), Shaun Higgins (Western Bulldogs), Mitch Clark (Brisbane Lions), Bryce Gibbs (Carlton), Shannon Hurn (West Coast), Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide), Marty Clarke (Collingwood), Scott McMahon (Kangaroos), Justin Westhoff (Port Adelaide), Sam Gilbert (St Kilda), Nathan Jones (Melbourne), Tom Williams (Western Bulldogs),  Travis Boak (Port Adelaide), Mark LeCras (West Coast), and Tyson Goldsack (Collingwood).   

http://afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=50369

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Congrats Will Thursfield - Rd 22 Rising Star Nomination
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 02:40:59 PM »
Well done Will!
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 05:17:54 PM »
thoroughly deserved  :clapping :clapping :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 05:27:03 PM »
Great stuff Will and well earned  :clapping. What he's done this year after coming back from that knee is just way beyond expectations. He and us are very lucky he's shown no noticable long-term effects from the ACL. He still has the pace and leap to go with the best leading forwards.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 07:54:05 PM »
oh yeah well done Thursfield  :clapping :clapping :clapping

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 08:09:12 PM »
Onya Will

Not before bloody time BTW :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 08:11:27 PM »
Well done Thursty  :thumbsup
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 08:49:37 PM »
Never thought the kid would make it - especially after his knee.

Just goes to show I am an imbecile.

Well done Will

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 06:33:30 AM »
Never thought the kid would make it - especially after his knee.

Just goes to show I am an imbecile.

Well done Will
A doubter maybe - but certainly not an imbecile

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 10:02:29 PM »
Let's hope Cogs can be just a fortunate in his comeback  :pray. It would be a bonus for the club.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 11:45:43 PM »
we have found our new Full Back ...

just hope he puts some muscle on ...

see if he gets a vote ???

come on KB !!!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 01:15:08 PM »
Will was interviewed briefly just before on SEN at the RS function.

He said Wallace told him this year to just get the knee right and he'll get a game. He thought he might get a nomination a few weeks back but when it didn't happen he forgot about it. He didn't think he'd get a nomination this round as he named Gehrig as his toughest opponent and had 5 goals kicked on him so he was surprised.