Author Topic: Kevin Sheedy threads [merged]  (Read 63409 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: 'Awkward' Sheeds pulls pin on Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1095 on: July 14, 2009, 07:19:39 AM »
Lloyds comments (which have been echoed by so many other Bomber players) is the reason why Sheedy was never going to coach Richmond.

What is sad is that these comments are being played out in the media. But I suppose when you launch your campaign via the media you are going to cop it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1096 on: July 14, 2009, 07:31:21 AM »
Lloyds comments (which have been echoed by so many other Bomber players) is the reason why Sheedy was never going to coach Richmond.

What is sad is that these comments are being played out in the media. But I suppose when you launch your campaign via the media you are going to cop it

its common knowledage that sheeds is finished

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1097 on: July 14, 2009, 09:27:38 AM »
Never been a fan of Lloyds but I appreciate an honest assessment of Sheeds from a person in the best position to know.

Although some will say he is biased as Sheeds wanted to trade him I suppose
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:02:51 PM by Chuck17 »

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
Re: Candidate for coaching job has pulled out!!!!
« Reply #1098 on: July 15, 2009, 12:54:38 AM »
add Wayne to the growing list.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Candidate for coaching job has pulled out!!!!
« Reply #1099 on: July 15, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
add Wayne to the growing list.

I'm just not ready for the responsibility  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
All well with Sheeds: Tigers (RFC)
« Reply #1100 on: July 17, 2009, 02:50:28 PM »
All well with Sheeds: Tigers
richmondfc.com.au
By Jason Phelan 2:34 PM Fri 17 July, 2009

DESPITE the messy nature of Kevin Sheedy's withdrawal from the Richmond coaching hunt, chief executive Steven Wright maintains there has been no need for a round of fence-mending with the club great.

Sheedy briefly put his hand up for the job before withdrawing his candidacy, citing his distaste for the interview process put in place by the club.

He returned from holidaying in Fiji with his wife to be at the launch of Sunday's Eureka clash between the Tigers and North Melbourne in his ambassadorial role for the club, but he refused to comment on the issue.

Wright, however, maintained all was good between the two parties and would continue to be so.

"Kevin is a great legend of our footy club, he's a member of the hall of fame, he's always welcome at the club and he's here today as an ambassador for the Eureka game," Wright said.

"He will be an ambassador for the Richmond Football Club in the future as he is now.

"Life goes on, we move on together and we look forward to Kevin playing a proactive role at the footy club.

"We're all here for the common good of the Richmond Football Club and we're working together through initiatives like the Eureka game to grow the club and Kevin is fully supportive of that. I'm looking forward to working with him."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/80851/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Sheedy keeps eye on the ball (Age)
« Reply #1101 on: July 18, 2009, 01:36:37 AM »
Sheedy keeps eye on the ball
Sam Lienert, Ballarat | July 18, 2009

RICHMOND is confident Kevin Sheedy has no lingering discontent with the club over his bid for the senior coaching job, but he has refused to commit to remaining a Tigers ambassador beyond this season.

Sheedy spoke publicly yesterday for the first time since he announced last weekend that he was backing down from his much-publicised bid to take the coaching reins at Tigerland next season.

Sheedy said at the time that he felt he had "embarrassed myself and the club" by going for the job, having subsequently learnt of a past interview in which Richmond president Gary March said he would not coach the club.

Sheedy and Richmond chief executive Steven Wright spoke in Ballarat yesterday at a media conference to promote tomorrow's Eureka game against North Melbourne. But the four-time Essendon premiership coach deflected questions on whether he was unhappy with the way the situation had been handled and whether he was willing to stay on as a Richmond ambassador.

"I'm really only here to talk about this match, a most important match for Ballarat," Sheedy said when initially asked about the situation. "Don't worry about my coaching."

When asked whether he remained happy to be an ambassador for the club, he again declined to answer. "I'm very happy at 61 years of age, but you did not hear what I just said," he said.

Pressed further, he said: "It doesn't concern me that much, that's all.

"Kevin Bartlett asked me (if I was interested in the job). I said, 'yes, I would (be)'; that's how I felt. I'm not going to worry about that, that's all I want to talk about it."

Bartlett, Richmond's games record-holder and former coach, led the public push for the Tigers to consider Sheedy.

But Wright said the Tigers were confident the confusion over the coaching bid had not soured the relationship between the club and Sheedy, a three-time Richmond premiership player.

"Kevin's a great legend of our footy club, he's a member of the hall of fame, he's here today as an ambassador for the Eureka game and he will be an ambassador of the Richmond Football Club in the future, as he is now," Wright said. "Life goes on, we move on together and we're looking forward to Kevin playing a proactive role at the footy club."

He said the Richmond hierarchy did not feel there was any awkwardness that needed to be smoothed over. "Not at all. We're here for the common good of the Richmond footy club and we're working together through issues such as this Eureka game to grow the club and Kevin's fully supportive of that and we look forward to working with him," he said.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/sheedy-keeps-eye-on-ball/2009/07/17/1247337266253.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Gary March denies disrespecting Sheedy (Age)
« Reply #1102 on: July 21, 2009, 03:05:57 AM »
Gary March denies disrespecting Sheedy
Guy Hand
July 20, 2009 - 10:09PM

Richmond president Gary March has denied showing a lack of respect to Kevin Sheedy in demanding he go through the AFL club's recruiting process if he wanted to become coach.

Sheedy briefly indicated his interest in coaching the Tigers this month before withdrawing from the race, saying he sensed the club didn't want him as coach.

Sheedy works in an ambassadorial role for the club he played for with distinction, prior to a decorated coaching career at Essendon where he won four premierships.

March said he would have been happy for the 61-year-old to throw his hat in the ring to coach at the Tigers.

But March said it was Sheedy's decision not to enter what the club says will be a rigorous search for its new coach, and denied the Tigers had shown him a lack of respect by making him jump through hoops.

"Early in the year when we spoke about it, Kevin indicated he wasn't interested in coaching at that time," March told Fox Sports' On the Couch program.

"(Now) he's changed his mind. We offered him to come through the process. He's withdrawn from the process.

"We're disappointed about that. We'd have liked him to come through the process."

March said he had spoken to Sheedy since and believed they had cleared the air about the aborted coaching bid.

Sheedy deflected questions about the Richmond coaching drama last week, and also refused to publicly commit to remaining a Tigers ambassador beyond this season.

March said the Tigers were going into the recruiting process to find Terry Wallace's replacement with an open mind and a long list of good applicants.

"We're going to have 12 or 13 people we're going to interview and it could be any one of those 12 or 13," March said.

"We want to go through our full process, make sure we've interviewed everyone, put them through a rigorous process, and make sure we get the best man for the Richmond Football Club."

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/gary-march-denies-disrespecting-sheedy-20090720-dqvz.html

bushranger

Re: Kevin Sheedy threads [merged]
« Reply #1103 on: July 21, 2009, 09:51:42 AM »
I would like to know why Sheedy was at our game and taking notes.
Just like he would if he was at a match who his team was going to play next.
So is he taking these notes for us, on who he will keep or is he taking notes for the player to watch out for if he take the Roo's job.
Just seemed strange to me him taking notes at the game.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1104 on: July 21, 2009, 12:19:40 PM »
So is he taking these notes for us, on who he will keep or is he taking notes for the player to watch out for if he take the Roo's job.

Loves a punt does Kevin.  Probably trying to pick the winner of the next in Melbourne.   ;)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #1105 on: July 21, 2009, 07:03:49 PM »

Loves a punt does Kevin.  Probably trying to pick the winner of the next in Melbourne.   ;)

Maybe he is a dark horse for a coaching job at the Sh1tboners.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1106 on: August 17, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »
Some snippets from Sheeds chat on the Herald-Sun site...

12:23 [Comment From brendon]
WOULD YOU TAKE THE RICHMOND CLUB IF THEY ASKED YOU?

12:27 I shouldn't even go near the answering of that question. It could upset and annoy too many people and I don't need to do that, because it's what happens when half the club may want you and half may not. I will keep my mind on building my own  business. It's been great to do that in the last year or two. If I can get my life in the business world up and running and really flying, that will be fantastic. Footy is a big part of that, but as I said when I lefft Essendon, I have been let out of a cage. Its been terrific to see the world, and most of Australia   

12:27 [Comment From Trent]
Hi Kevin. How long do you think the unsuccessful era for Richmond will continue to go on for?

12:30 Any club can turn it around. It's just difficult with the decisions you make now, plus the decisions the AFL will make with the new teams coming into the AFL. Where will the players come from to create that? 
They have some terrific young players coming through which is a credit to them, and in 1992  Essendon played Hawthorn and the scoreline was 216 to 56. We got thumped. Exactly 27 games later we won the flag.It's what you can do if you have your wits about you. You never ever ever give up in this game. Go Tigers 

12:49 [Comment From Razor]
Kevin, what kind of player do Richmond most desperately need?

12:50 They need a player like Riewoldt up one end, and a young Fletcher or Scarlett down the other end. A key forward and a key back, and they probably had opportunities to get those. They could have even picked up Zac Dawson, and Buddy too. So they have had those chances. We picked up Gumbleton who isn't playing, so injuries happen. Also Lachie Hansen too. So its not an exact science. It's why I laugh at tanking.   

12:50 [Comment From J HIRD]
COACH SHOULD I COACH AND AT WHAT CLUB?

12:51 Hi Hirdy. Look, if you were James Hird, Sydney would have been perfect. But when everyone feels you are not in the position to coach you will keep missing great jobs. Failing that, everyone is happy with Matthew Knights. Perhaps he can coach there down the track. Don't forget, the Tigers too!!!!   

12:57 [Comment From Guest]
G'day Sheeds ... Would Barry Hall be useful at Richmond for a year? It would give Robin Nahas somewhere to hide at least ....

12:58 Well, at the moment everything is thrust upon Jack Riewoldt and Mitch Morton, so it might not be a terrible idea. But how many years would Hall play? How much would he be? If not are we not just doing what has been done at Richmond in the last five years. When you have a team like St Kilda, they topped off their list. The ruckmen have helped them  get to the top. It's the cream. That is how Sydney did it. 
Possibly St Kilda might get in becasue of it. Geelong went the other way. It just depends on the philosophy of the board.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25939933-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Sheedy unlikely to stay with the Tigers (Age)
« Reply #1107 on: August 27, 2009, 05:04:33 AM »
Kevin Sheedy remains highly unlikely to stay with the Tigers in his membership and marketing role.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/coaching-merrygoround-spins-on/2009/08/26/1251001942736.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Sheedy unlikely to stay with the Tigers (Age)
« Reply #1108 on: August 27, 2009, 06:51:44 AM »
Kevin Sheedy remains highly unlikely to stay with the Tigers in his membership and marketing role.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/coaching-merrygoround-spins-on/2009/08/26/1251001942736.html

Not sure why that would appear in an article about the "coaching merry go round"  :P

Oops sorry, yes I do how silly of me  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

TigerTimeII

« Reply #1109 on: August 27, 2009, 07:56:49 AM »
its no secret that hardwick and sheeds dont get along

hardwick didnt even mention sheeds as an influence on him at all lol

oh well just as hardwick said, its all about now and the future, not the past

im sure sheeds will keep busy