Author Topic: Richmond vs Port Adelaide match thread  (Read 4501 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond vs Port Adelaide match thread
« on: July 20, 2007, 03:04:44 AM »
Bookies and "experts" tips:

Richmond      3.60 
Port Adelaide  1.25

Richmond Under 39.5 Pts  4.25 
Richmond Over 39.5 Pts  14.00 
Draw  51.00 
Port Adelaide Under 39.5 Pts  2.15 
Port Adelaide Over 39.5 Pts  2.70 

The Age       2-12   -> Emma Quayle and Geoff McClure tipped us
Herald-Sun  0-18

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond vs Port Adelaide match thread
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 03:07:47 AM »
Forward scout: round 16
2:44 PM Thu 19 July, 2007
By Greg Lange, Brian Royal
for richmondfc.com.au

LESSONS FROM LAST WEEK

To play four quarters. Against Hawthorn we started the game very well, probably lost control of it early in the second and then were blown away in the last quarter. This weekend it is important we not only play out the quarters but also play out the game.

UNDER THE TIGERS’ MICROSCOPE

There will certainly be changes to the side; I think Terry has made that well known throughout the course of the week. Obviously coming up against Port Adelaide this week it is important that we deny them their running game.

SPY CAMERA

I think you will find, statistically, they are very dominant at centre bounces and score a lot of their goals from clearances. So it is important from our point of view that our midfield is very strong defensively.

We need to restrict the amount of opportunities they can score from. Port Adelaide is a very quick side and likes to get the ball into space. So, again, defensively we are going to have to apply a lot of pressure.

TREDREA AND ‘THE HOFF’

I think you will find in the last few weeks Warren Tredrea is back in the form that made him a very good player. They also have Justin Westhoff. He is a young kid in his first year and has popped up as a key target for Port up forward. He is taking the pressure off Tredrea. They will also throw Chad Cornes and Brendan Lade down there which will be a challenge for our defenders.

ANYONE ELSE WE NEED TO WORRY ABOUT?

They have a few players who are in terrific form at the moment. Shaun Burgoyne is a very good player through the midfield, Peter Burgoyne, Chad and Kane Cornes. Another one is Domenic Cassisi. He is in career-best form.

OUR BIGGEST HURDLE?

The last couple of weeks, mentally, we have been a little bit off the boil. We have been fairly competitive in most games, apart from the last two weeks and the Geelong game. So, it is important that we come to the game with the right mindset.

If we do, then we believe we have a strong chance of winning this game. If we deny Port their natural game you take away a lot of their strengths.

WHEN LAST WE MET:
Richmond v Port Adelaide at Football Park, round seven, 2007: Port 16.19 (115) to the Tigers 10.15 (75).

WIN PERCENTAGE

Richmond v Port Adelaide: 71.43 per cent (Power)

Richmond at the MCG: 55.02 per cent

Port Adelaide at the MCG: 41.67 per cent

Richmond v Port Adelaide at the MCG: 100 per cent (Richmond)

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=47579

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 03:33:29 AM »
Richmond v Port Adelaide at the MCG: 100 per cent (Richmond)

Sunday will be the first time in 9 years we've played Port at our home ground the 'G ::) and only the 5th time we've played them in Melbourne since they entered the comp in 1997.

R10, 30th May, 1998 @ the MCG. Crowd: 31,225

Richmond  1.5  5.10  11.15   13.19-97 
Port Adel   3.4   4.7     5.9      9.13-67 

R21, 24th August, 1997 @ the MCG. Crowd 22,516

Richmond  5.3  10.6  19.10   22.14-146
Port Adel   3.7    5.9    7.11     8.13-61 

Ramps

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:42:31 AM »
Great effort so far from the boys- scores are level ;D

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 01:56:54 PM »
just do it for Richo !!! ... just win !

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 03:49:40 PM »
Both those MCG games remind you of Duncan Kellaway. He kicked his first ever goal in 97 in the last quarter which sent his teammates and the crowd crazy  and then in 98 he did his knee falling over Cambo.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Williams wary of Richo's milestone (Adelaide Addy)
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 03:27:52 AM »
Williams wary of Richo's milestone
21 July 2007   Herald Sun/ Adelaide Advertiser
Michelangelo Rucci

PORT Adelaide coach Mark Williams is wary that the "Richo factor" tomorrow could cost his side dearly if Richmond rallies to make Matthew Richardson's 250th game more memorable.

The key forward is regarded something akin to the Tigers' soul and as a result it's hard to see Richmond playing as badly as it did last week against Hawthorn, when it lost by 53 points.

"You underestimate them at your peril," warned Williams of the Tigers, describing the team Port beat by 40 points in Round 7 as "pretty competitive in the past few weeks".

"There is no reason - and no way - we will do that."

Port's midfield has been hot in recent weeks, as evidenced by the Power's 91-point win against West Coast last week.

The win lifted Port to fifth and with home games against Melbourne and Carlton to come, Williams knows a top-four spot is still a chance.

But Richardson, in front of his fans at the MCG, could pose a major danger, particularly as Port's one perceived weakness is its key defenders.

Williams is likely to opt for either Toby Thurstans or the inexperienced Alipate Carlile or even travelling emergency Troy Chaplin on Richardson. A more likely option is to send in-form Chad Cornes into defence to counter him.

"If our players start reading too much of their own press, they will get a rude awakening. And they are fully aware of that," Williams said.

"The fact is, if you don't play well, you will get dropped. We have players - Nick Lower and Tom Logan - coming back from injury and playing well in the SANFL.

"And we have experienced campaigners in Josh Mahoney and Darryl Wakelin ready to come back in the group."

Richmond, which had assistant coach David King scout the Power last weekend, has made a public issue of dealing with Port's midfield.

"I read on-line," said Williams, "that (Richmond assistant coach) Brian Royal is talking about our onball brigade and how important they are. I'm sure they'll be trying to shut us down in that regard."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22107125%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Power have gone sooking to Geischen
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 04:02:18 AM »
The Power have gone sooking to Geischen. Like we've got a charmed run from the umps against interstate sides at the 'G  :help. What was it again 13-29 against the Eagles plus a fine to Sugar for complaining ::).

Port hoping for better run with umpires
July 21, 2007 - 3:17PM

Port Adelaide hope a recent visit by the AFL's umpires boss will pay dividends through a better run with free kicks against Richmond at the MCG on Sunday.

Full article at: http://news.realfooty.com.au/port-hoping-for-better-run-with-umpires/20073421-oyl.html

Passionfruit

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 06:04:02 PM »
Pathetic effort today.
Need cleanout out of players and coaches.

Some bright spark on here answer me this.
We get rid of David Rodan for nothing and 15 rounds later he is playing for a team where we play a defensive tag on him ::)
Yes Chris Newman was given tagging role on David Rodan.
Can tell you that Terry Wallace didnt like David Rodan from day 1 and know wants to pay his respect by playing a defensive tag on him
I think Wallace is starting to self explode

Wallace should be shown the door NOW

Ramps

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 06:08:48 PM »
Richmond is a basketcase Jacko. We are years away from having a decent side let alone a side that will challenge. I doubt young blokes like Deledio or Hughes or Edwards or Riewoldt will be sticking around long term if this poo continues. And if I was Richo and I didnt need the money from footy id retire coz playing with that group of blokes who are supposed to be kicking it to him properly must be a shocking experience.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 06:23:48 PM »
More like everyone was reactive and playing for themselves. If there were tags then hardly anyone followed instructions. Port players were on their own most of time.

The players were told before the game to play it tight and keep the game in the corridor. It'll probably be ugly but we wanted to shutdown Port's run at any cost. Joel was meant to mind Chad Corners, Sugar on Shaun Burgoyne (because he had shut him down twice before) and I've forgotten the 3rd lockdown role. So what happens - we end up in a 16 goal shootout in the first quarter ::). We then start following the gameplan in the second quarter and Hyde and Joel can't kick straightforward goals for AFL players on the run  ::) while Port nailed their chances. After half-time it was just the Hawthorn game all over again.

Simply too many soft, skill-less, dumb and selfish players :banghead. Yep Jack the playing list needs a cleanout.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »
Game Rankings -AFL site

P.Burgoyne        158
Ebert                 146
C.Cornes            138
J.Bowden           129
S.Burgoyne        123
K.Cornes            113
Tredrea              112
Rodan                108
Foley                 108
K.Johnson           98

Thurstans            98
King                    95
Surjan                 88
Pettifer                85
Newman              77

Cassisi                 77
Edwards              77
Richardson           76

Motlop                 76
Schulz                 72
Tuck                    72
Raines                 72
Brown                 67
Thursfield            66

Lonie                   61
McGuane             61
Pearce                 60
Polak                   60
Pettigrew             57
J.Riewoldt            56
Chaplin                56
Boak                    54
Tivendale             54
Brogan                 51
Simmonds            51
Hyde                    50
Pattison                49

Wilson                  44
Westhoff               43
Carlile                  41
Howat                  35
Gray                    31
Lade                    29
Jackson                27

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 08:52:56 PM »

Simply too many soft, skill-less, dumb and selfish players :banghead. Yep Jack the playing list needs a cleanout.

Actually that was the saddest thing today - the selfish efforts of some of our guys.

How Hyde and Bowden J, could miss those goals in the 2nd is beyond belief. :banghead

See those game ranking alot of the time are not worth a pinch of salt IMHO! Bowden J has a ranking of 129 because he got I think about 35-38 possession but the majority were worthless to the team so it means very little indeed

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Passionfruit

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 08:58:55 PM »
Richo gave Joel the best spray you have seen when he missed that shot.
All is not well I think

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 09:04:24 PM »
Richo gave Joel the best spray you have seen when he missed that shot.
All is not well I think

Could you blame him Jack ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)