Author Topic: Plough's aftermatch media conference / It will take time, says Wallace  (Read 3432 times)

Moi

Darn better than Sheeds' successs???
Why he got the boot!

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
People at Richmond want instant success. Their patience wears thin after 2 years. Sheeds would eventually cop the same crap once reality replaced mysticism and nostalgia. Some people need to realise the list has to fixed before the team improves and the list will only improve as more $$$ are put into recruiting and development instead of paying out contracted coaches. All this takes years when you are starting from scratch even when you have the dollars. The current Eagles and Cats sides didn't happen overnight. Both took 5 years to become true finals sides. Look at when most of their players were drafted - 1999-2001.   

Exactly!  :clapping

St Kilda scooped the cream of the draft in 2001 and are yet to do anything of real substance. Yet we, the team who had a crack at the draft three years after them should be on top right now? Geelong couldn't have fallen further last year. Bomber Thompson hung on to his job by the proverbials. Look at him - and them - now. Don't even start on where Freo should be on the Premiership Clock...

Hawthorn, for all its success this season have done no more than we have to this stage. Sure they have been flashy and been a talking point this year, but they are slowing down. the long season is starting to take it's toll on their youngsters. They may even fall out of the 8...I doubt it, but I've seen Richmond in the same position plenty of times and still finish 9th on each occassion.

We are not travelling well...that is obvious. We were cruelled by injuries, and as such a gamble we took backfired. We lost our number one ruckmen (Simmo), number one in-and-under midfielder (Cogs) and number one mercurial forward (Brown) for basically the season. Our one and only senior backup ruck (Knob) has been out all year. Our pinch hit ruck (Hall) has too. A vital cog in our team last year (P. Bowden) has been injured for half the year or struggling to get back to fitness from injury. The mature aged draftee (Kingsley) we took on this year broke an ankle 2 weeks out from the start of the pre-season comp and thus wiped out his season. We lost 5 winnable games in the first 7 or 8 and therefore decided to pack it in for the year and try the youth KNOWING we weren't gonna get up there this year. We did what the fans asked..."get rid of the duds, play the kids". And yet we still have the same impatient cries of "Sack the Coach! That'll fix it all!"  ::)

Lets play hypotheticals for a second here...what happens next year when the prophecies of the chief trumpeters come true, and the Messiah arrives to save us...what happens when we discover he proves to be nothing more than an Emperor with no clothes?  :shh
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Moi

Hawthorn, for all its success this season have done no more than we have to this stage. Sure they have been flashy and been a talking point this year, but they are slowing down. the long season is starting to take it's toll on their youngsters.
Exactly what is happening at Richmond and ppl will capitalise on that for their own reasons.  We're not going to get better at this stage of a long year.  But anyone can see the great potential of some of our kids.  You only have to look at how we played up till half way through the year to see there's potential.  Naturally, they're going to find it hard to keep that going and we're seeing the results of that.  But there are still more kids to blood that we haven't seen yet, so if any supporter wants to get something out of this year, that to me is it.

Passionfruit

year.  But anyone can see the great potential of some of our kids. 

I cant,sorry.
I see poor recruiting of players such as Kingsley,Knobel and P. Bowden.
AS for the kids,i see light weights who wont make it..
Edwards, Foley Deledio will make it.

Gordon Bennett

Fwoy - excellent work. This sums up the current situation beautifully.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
I for one am against sacking the coach. It's very short sighted and akin to cutting your nose of to spite your face. Our problems are far more involved and our list still needs serious fine tuning. Without that you could put any of the great coaches going around at the helm and we'd still end up smelling like pooh!
Fwoy made some very good points especially our lack of a decent ruck dept this year. We get slaughtered there every week.
I too was expecting improvement this year but as Paul Keating once said "It was the recession we had to have".

Would Sheedy make any difference to our current situation?? I think not. What makes his situation at Essendon any different to here?? Their key senior players are aging, like ours, their recruitment in recent times has been ordinary, like ours, in actual fact I believe they are in the exact same position as we were last year and their "Recession" is yet to come. We've been fortunate enough to pick up some good youngsters in the last year or two whereas the Bombers have very limited young talent. We also now have the advantage of early draft pics whereas the bombers will probably end up in the death seat at seasons end just like we did. Even if they get to play finals they will probably be out in the first round.

So I'm prepared to give Terry the benefit of the doubt atm. To compare his tenure with Frawley's time here as some have done is farcical! He has a much better footy brain than Frawley, is doing what Frawley didn't by playing youngsters like Edwards, King, Riewoldt, Connors, McGuane, Thursfield and giving all players the opportunity to show their worth before further culling begins.  As far as I'm concerned we are now building for next year and this is when I will expect to see us moving forward.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 01:24:15 PM by tiga »

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
I for one am against sacking the coach. It's very short sighted and akin to cutting your nose of to spite your face. Our problems are far more involved and our list is still needs serious fine tuning. Without that you could put any of the great coaches going around at the helm and we'd still end up smelling like pooh!
Fwoy made some very good points especially our lack of a decent ruck dept this year. We get slaughtered there every week.
I too was expecting improvement this year but as Paul Keating once said "It was the recession we had to have".

Would Sheedy make any difference to our current situation?? I think not. What makes his situation at Essendon any different to here?? Their key senior players are aging, like ours, their recruitment in recent times has been ordinary, like ours, in actual fact I believe they are in the exact same position as we were last year and their "Recession" is yet to come. We've been fortunate enough to pick up some good youngsters in the last year or two whereas the Bombers have very limited young talent. We also now have the advantage of early draft pics whereas the bombers will probably end up in the death seat at seasons end just like we did. Even if they get to play finals they will probably be out in the first round.

So I'm prepared to give Terry the benefit of the doubt atm. To compare his tenure with Frawley's time here as some have done is farcical! He has a much better footy brain than Frawley, is doing what Frawley didn't by playing youngsters like Edwards, King, Riewoldt, Connors, McGuane, Thursfield and giving all players the opportunity to show their worth before further culling begins.  As far as I'm concerned we are now building for next year and this is when I will expect to see us moving forward.

:clapping
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade

Would Sheedy make any difference to our current situation?? I think not. What makes his situation at Essendon any different to here?? Their key senior players are aging, like ours, their recruitment in recent times has been ordinary, like ours, in actual fact I believe they are in the exact same position as we were last year and their "Recession" is yet to come.

Exactly - And then what does he do he signs Mal Michael - The same quick fix situation that has seen us go nowhere in the past.
Maybe that is why he is gone - lack of foresight ....

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
C'mon Terry - time and patience are running out :banghead

Correct Julz.
Should of got the stronger bodies from Day 1.
Its no secret that Terry wanted to model the team on the Western Bulldogs. Oh Dear.
You should play Kent kingsley Terry ::)
And Terry, you have kept the wrong players and thats your decision.

Can't argue with this
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Plough's aftermatch media conference / It will take time, says Wallace
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 08:30:22 PM »
People at Richmond want instant success. Their patience wears thin after 2 years. Sheeds would eventually cop the same crap once reality replaced mysticism and nostalgia. Some people need to realise the list has to fixed before the team improves and the list will only improve as more $$$ are put into recruiting and development instead of paying out contracted coaches. All this takes years when you are starting from scratch even when you have the dollars. The current Eagles and Cats sides didn't happen overnight. Both took 5 years to become true finals sides. Look at when most of their players were drafted - 1999-2001.   

Exactly!  :clapping

St Kilda scooped the cream of the draft in 2001 and are yet to do anything of real substance. Yet we, the team who had a crack at the draft three years after them should be on top right now? Geelong couldn't have fallen further last year. Bomber Thompson hung on to his job by the proverbials. Look at him - and them - now. Don't even start on where Freo should be on the Premiership Clock...

Hawthorn, for all its success this season have done no more than we have to this stage. Sure they have been flashy and been a talking point this year, but they are slowing down. the long season is starting to take it's toll on their youngsters. They may even fall out of the 8...I doubt it, but I've seen Richmond in the same position plenty of times and still finish 9th on each occassion.

We are not travelling well...that is obvious. We were cruelled by injuries, and as such a gamble we took backfired. We lost our number one ruckmen (Simmo), number one in-and-under midfielder (Cogs) and number one mercurial forward (Brown) for basically the season. Our one and only senior backup ruck (Knob) has been out all year. Our pinch hit ruck (Hall) has too. A vital cog in our team last year (P. Bowden) has been injured for half the year or struggling to get back to fitness from injury. The mature aged draftee (Kingsley) we took on this year broke an ankle 2 weeks out from the start of the pre-season comp and thus wiped out his season. We lost 5 winnable games in the first 7 or 8 and therefore decided to pack it in for the year and try the youth KNOWING we weren't gonna get up there this year. We did what the fans asked..."get rid of the duds, play the kids". And yet we still have the same impatient cries of "Sack the Coach! That'll fix it all!"  ::)

Lets play hypotheticals for a second here...what happens next year when the prophecies of the chief trumpeters come true, and the Messiah arrives to save us...what happens when we discover he proves to be nothing more than an Emperor with no clothes?  :shh

:bow :bow :clapping :clapping

Well said Fwoy

I've said it before myself I cant get my head around what what people actual want and I don't think some people know exactly what it is they want.

We want the kids played. We play 'em but they are either 1/ duds - never gonna make it or 2/ not ready to be played. The only way we are going to find if they are going to make it is if we play 'em.

Then we have people screaming "we are losing, we are losing" and the world's about ot stop turning but at the same time the same people were saying at the beginning of the year - we were going finish bottom 4

I just don't get it.

And tiga

:clapping :clapping :bow :bow too :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)