Author Topic: 2007 NAB Draft  (Read 38347 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: 2007 NAB Draft
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2007, 10:46:02 PM »
agreed that Masten is the type of player we need ... after kreuzer

but would not be disapointed at all with Cotchin  :thumbsup

blx

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2007, 12:42:18 AM »
2/ the tigers make the right picks , this is the draft that will make or break us. pick smart and our list will solidify, pick badly and we will turn to rubble

you could argue every draft with that angle in fact every year that second point gets raised by someone, congrats your the first and i garuntee you you wont be the last this year AND all the following years too  ;D

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2007, 01:22:12 PM »
Its always good to have a back-up so here's what I think we should do with my limited knowledge.

Pick 2.
Masten: Onballer that dishes it out beautifully and not another outside player like Morton that we dont need.

Cotchin: Silky, silky, silky.  The X-factor that can tear games apart but I lead towards Masten because he's rough and tough which is what we need, we already have alot of silk that just needs to disher.

Pick 18/19 (Priority and subsequent pick)

Tayte Pears: The CHB we need, Rance will go before him but Rance isnt worth pick 2 so we have to take that.  At 90kgs and 192cms we cant say no, already very well built with sufficient skills.  :thumbsup

Jack Grimes: If we end up with Cotchin or Kruezer I'd love this kid at Tigerland as a rover in the Foley ilk.  Needs a bit of work on kicking but could be ironed out and is a ball winner, not a receiver.  As captain or Cotchin and Kruezer he must have good leadership skills too and I hear he is a massive worker.

Tom Collier: Being injured for the season may let the kid drop.  Not sure where he will end up but plays solidly as a backman and in spells on the ball.  Is very well built.

Tom Bellchambers: Maybe a bit too one-dimensional to go this early but as a ruckamn he is very good.  As a mover and player around the ground there is much work to do.  Maybe one to look at at this stage but probably taking a gamble.

Pick 36ish:

Bellchambers: Again.

Jay Bowden: I dont know where he'll go in this draft but I like the look of him.  Usually a midfield runner but played forward for Tassie in the champs and had a very good carnival.  I like versitile players at later picks and I think he might be worth looking at although maybe more at the 50 mark of our next pick.  Tough to say.

Adam Maric: Possibly a slider, great champs but I see him more as a Neon Leon type.  Would be a good pick at 36, many have him top 15, and quite a few have him 50ish.  I'd like to think he'd slip to here with the plethora of smaller blokes in the draft and big men being drafted earlier than they should, and we get ourselves a bargain HFF player that does find the ball.

pick 50ish:

Jay Bowden: Again

Andrew Renton: Has improved in the ruck this year and seems to still have improvement in him.   Long term ruckman prospect but a decent one none-the-less, would be a gamble this early tbh.

Chris Kangars: Just incase we still havent got a KPP backman by now he may be an option, very much a backman.  Handballs alot, kicks rarely.  Thats not so bad, shows he likes to stay at home and be accountable. 

Pick 65+s

Andrew Renton: again

Polkinghorne: Give the little rover a decent go at it I say.  Decent rover that could turn into something.  Maybe just a rookie though, No earlier than our 5th pick.

Jarrad Sylvester: Alot has been said about him.  Has come leaps and bounds this year.  Definitely wouldn't get him before our 4th pick though.

Luke Sampey: Will be slipper I'm sure of it.  A FF and nothing else.  Good player but will a club risk an early pick on a unversatile FF.  Would be good at a pick around here.

Ryan Hobbs: Its all pretty hush hush on this kid so he's likely to slip this far but from memory was in the best twice in the champs and can play forward or back.  194cms and already 89 kgs at 18 so should be room to grow even more and would be more than handy at a pick this late.

Lee Staple: May be worth it here at 189cms and only 80 kgs but would need to hit the weights and we dont need another like him since we already have Thursty and McGuane.

Remember limited knowledge so feel free to correct me on anything or shoot me down if I've rated a dud.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2007, 03:53:52 PM »

Ryan Hobbs: Its all pretty hush hush on this kid so he's likely to slip this far but from memory was in the best twice in the champs and can play forward or back.  194cms and already 89 kgs at 18 so should be room to grow even more and would be more than handy at a pick this late.

where this kid goes will be very interesting. Like you I think he will slip and be a real diamond in the rought.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2007, 04:48:09 PM »
i believe we need tough midfielders ...

Cotchin seems to be our man ...

i don't want Kreuzer ... so carlton will take him ...

but if we get the 1st pick ... we would probably take him ... but i would want a midfielder ...

Masten is the other highly rated midfielder ... i just want a tough, ball winning midfielder ...

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2007, 05:07:42 PM »
Masten reminds of a young Hasleby

Good young talent who busts his gut on field, but will not be a superstar

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2007, 05:59:31 PM »
Our first pick will be used on either Kreuzer, Cotchin or Morton. Our view of the top 3 in the draft. The top 6 are rated highly. Palmer is considered to go mid first round.

Young ruckmen are considered high risks (the taller the kid the greater the risk). McEvoy is seen as a tall forward.

I was told by someone else we have interest in 4 kids from the Northern Knights. Kreuzer, Cotchin, ?, ?.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2007, 06:24:02 PM »
I also forgot to mention that we shouldn't get our hopes up as far as sorting out our backline frailties in the short term (2008) as far as the draft goes. The Club knows it's in trouble with the big lug forwards who play from the goalsquare like a Lynch or Gehrig but sees the best defenders as being around the 192cm mark (Glass) yet strong.

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2007, 06:41:17 PM »

I was told by someone else we have interest in 4 kids from the Northern Knights. Kreuzer, Cotchin, ?, ?.

I'd say the others would be Veszpremi and Grimes

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2007, 06:43:54 PM »
I also forgot to mention that we shouldn't get our hopes up as far as sorting out our backline frailties in the short term (2008) as far as the draft goes. The Club knows it's in trouble with the big lug forwards who play from the goalsquare like a Lynch or Gehrig but sees the best defenders as being around the 192cm mark (Glass) yet strong.

Yup, Alex Rance and Tayte Pears the front runners.  :thumbsup

Those guys are already bigger than Thursty or Mcguane.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2007, 10:01:23 PM »
There was no talk of our other picks but fingers crossed tigersalive.

Btw Masten supposedly has a bit of hot head. I didn't think that was a bad thing given that's what they said about Franklin and Connors.

Veszpremi surprisingly wasn't one of them GB ???

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2007, 10:35:59 PM »
There was no talk of our other picks but fingers crossed tigersalive.

Btw Masten supposedly has a bit of hot head. I didn't think that was a bad thing given that's what they said about Franklin and Connors.

Veszpremi surprisingly wasn't one of them GB ???

Hobbs?  Or Hurley(if he's eligable??)
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2007, 11:19:08 PM »
Hobbs?  Or Hurley(if he's eligable??)
Hurley isn't eligible and Hobbs is from North Ballarat. The only other Northern Knight in the Vic Metro side was midfielder Brett Meredith?

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2007, 09:54:52 AM »

From what I've read, Cotchin is more of a Deledio type utility, not the tough midfielder you are after. Masten would be the better match for what you are looking for at this stage.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2007, 02:25:32 PM »

From what I've read, Cotchin is more of a Deledio type utility, not the tough midfielder you are after. Masten would be the better match for what you are looking for at this stage.
Miller reckons Cotchin can play in all positions for his size - inside mid, outside, HBF, midsize forward, etc. During the U18 champs Cotchin not only was carrying a shoulder injury but was also carrying some knee injury. Unless Melbourne tank in round 22 I would say Cotchin will be a Tiger come late November.