Author Topic: 2007 NAB Draft  (Read 38405 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2007 NAB Draft
« Reply #195 on: October 06, 2007, 03:33:09 AM »
Kreuzer still the one by a mile
06 October 2007   Herald Sun
Daryl Timms

IT TOOK just three days at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra this week for Matthew Kreuzer to reinforce what every AFL club recruiter already knew - he is the best young talent in Australia.

And no wonder Carlton is trying to keep its No. 1 pick in the national draft for the 18-year-old - his speed results in this week's camp were as good as those of any midfielder.

All talent scouts from the 16 clubs agree that Kreuzer, who is 199cm and 91kg, is the best available talent, followed closely by his Northern Knights' teammate Trent Cotchin and Claremont's Cale Morton.

Cotchin broke his ankle during his team's TAC Cup finals campaign and was one of the 15 players out of the 79 who could not do any physical activities because of injury.

"It was really disappointing not to be out there with the other boys," Cotchin said.

Despite his absence from the physical stuff, there is no shortage of clubs wanting the skilled onballer.

As well as outstanding training performances, tests also revealed Kreuzer has the biggest arm span of any player at the camp and is a running ruckman in the same mould as former Melbourne ruckman Jimmy Stynes.

Kreuzer said he needs to add more bulk to his frame to compete in the AFL.

"It's been a very solid three days, but it's pretty much what I thought the camp would be," he said.

"It's been hard to get up each day and do all the tests, but it's been enjoyable."

And in all camps there's a player who comes from left-field.

This time it was a raw ruckman from Queensland, Joel Smouha, who raised the interest of clubs with his athletic ability, firstly in the beep test and then yesterday's final activity - a 3km time-trial.

Smouha, whose name is of Middle East origin, clocked the fastest time.

He has been playing football for just 12 months after abandoning soccer because he said it wasn't exciting enough.

Smouha has a solid background in athletics and said it was good to record a time of 10min 23sec, especially in the hot and windy conditions on the grass track.

"It's been a busy three days having the recruiters around and it's been daunting at times," he said.

"I started playing school footy about 12 months ago and played soccer and did athletics at school.

"As soon as I started playing footy, I thought it was awesome and loved it."

Smouha could be a long-term project, but clubs are already trying to get tapes of his games with Mt Gravatt.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22539571%255E19742,00.html

Bull

« Reply #196 on: October 06, 2007, 09:19:38 AM »
I like the look of this Gourdis kid, only problem is that it sounds like he wont last to pick 18 or 19.

I heard the wrap up of the draft camp and i reckon this kid could now go top 10.

Would be a great replacement for Richo.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #197 on: October 06, 2007, 04:36:19 PM »
Kevin Sheahan reckons there'll be 20-30 from this draft who'll make it at AFL level which Kreuzer clear No 1.:

The best-ever athletes tested were the 2001 group," Sheehan said. "Everyone agrees that was the best draft ever - they were significantly quicker, more agile with better endurance than any of the other 10 years.

"Six years on we can see why 38 of them are now starring in the AFL from the 2001 draft. A quick glance here would say that this group is going to be the same as normal years."

In other words, between 20 and 30 of the class of '07 will go on to star in the AFL.

"It certainly is a key indicator," Sheehan added.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22538887-23211,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2007, 01:28:49 AM »
Trade winds to affect draft
Emma Quayle | October 7, 2007

AFTER three days of running, jumping and selling themselves to AFL clubs, this year's best young footballers have started to fall into order. But for the first time in five years, next week's trade period will have a big say in where they launch their AFL careers.

If Carlton hangs tough, and holds on to its No. 1 pick, Matthew Kreuzer will become a Blue within the first few seconds of draft day. But if the Blues relinquish it to the Eagles, another player, such as onballer Trent Cotchin, could be the first name called.

If the Eagles settle for pick three, and Cotchin has been chosen by Richmond at No. 2, a West Australian onballer, Chris Masten, may be ushered right up the order. And then there is Cale Morton.

All year, Morton has been ranked a top-three pick, and he will be snapped up quickly on draft day. Rumours say the Tigers are keen on securing his older brother, West Coast player Mitch, during trade week. That, in turn, has created speculation they'll grab Morton at pick two, allowing Cotchin to slide to pick three and (depending on what Chris Judd gets West Coast) end up in Perth.

Until November 24, it is all speculation, though the draft camp last week made some things clear. Cotchin was unable to do anything but talk to clubs, having fractured a foot at the end of a dynamic finals series, when things came together for him. At his best, the 17-year-old slips through packs with clean hands, most times finding a teammate with either his right or left boot.

"He's an elite kick both feet," said AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan. "Rare, you'd say. You rarely see a kid hit so many targets. He's got that little weave through the pack, he doesn't fall over and see can see things other people can't. He's been a key player wherever he's played."

Kreuzer took part, and was what he is. This is a good year for ruckmen who can run — together, the 10 rucks at the camp provided the best speed/endurance results in the camp's history — and the desperately competitive Northern Knight is right up front. Kreuzer is 199 centimetres, but ran the ninth-best three-kilometre time out of the 64 injury-free players, and the 10th best beep test (reaching level 14.2). It will be interesting to see whether he plays as a ruckman, whether he can play as a standard onballer and if he does find a genuine full-time spot.

Morton's 10.32 time trial, and 15.2, confirmed him as a tall, athletic runner. "He didn't have a great finals series and there are still areas of his game that can be improved upon," Sheehan said. "But he's a lovely size, a great athlete, and what we've seen with his footy through the year has been great."

Masten, a midfield accumulator, couldn't do any physical testing because of osteitis pubis. Brad Ebert, another solid onball prospect, had osteitis pubis, too, but is rated a first-round chance and could end up at Adelaide in some sort of square-up for the Cornes boys.

Palmer, who finished Masten's work so often during the under-18 championships this year, showed his endurance with a 10.25 time trial and a level 14.2 beep test. He's a little quicker than Masten, his East Fremantle teammate, but Masten gets more of the ball, and is thought by some to run harder defensively.

Lachie Henderson and Jarrad Grant are top-five chances, and interesting for different reasons. Henderson has had a broken leg this year, as well as other injury niggles; in his under-16 year, last season, he played in the forward line and would constantly present, then present again.

Grant seems to divide clubs; some would like him to be steadier, but he has pure talent, is quick (at 191 centimetres, he was the speediest over five metres at the camp) and plays with quick, clean hands. Ben McEvoy has more height, has evolved from a ruckman into a marking forward this year, and will be picked early after a great last half of the season. He's not quick, but he has good endurance, too, and the ball tends to stick in his hands.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2007, 01:31:09 AM »
Emma Quayle's top picks

1. Matthew Kreuzer Northern Knights, 18, 199 centimetres, 94 kilograms

2. Trent Cotchin Northern Knights/PEGS, 17, 184cm, 81kg

3. Cale Morton Claremont, 17, 192cm, 79kg

4. Lachie Henderson Geelong Falcons, 17, 196cm, 90kg

5. Jarrad Grant Dandenong Stingrays, 18, 191cm, 77kg

6. Ben McEvoy Murray Bushrangers, 18, 200cm, 90kg

7. Chris Masten East Fremantle, 18, 179cm, 78kg

8. Rhys Palmer East Fremantle, 18, 180cm, 76kg

9. David Myers Perth, 18, 190cm, 85kg

10. Brad Ebert Port Adelaide Magpies, 17, 187cm, 86kg

11. Cyril Rioli St Mary's, Darwin/ Scotch College, 18, 178cm, 74kg

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/trade-winds-to-affect-draft/2007/10/06/1191091429470.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Ramps

« Reply #200 on: October 07, 2007, 06:23:02 AM »
Emma Quayle's top picks

1. Matthew Kreuzer Northern Knights, 18, 199 centimetres, 94 kilograms

2. Trent Cotchin Northern Knights/PEGS, 17, 184cm, 81kg

3. Cale Morton Claremont, 17, 192cm, 79kg

4. Lachie Henderson Geelong Falcons, 17, 196cm, 90kg

5. Jarrad Grant Dandenong Stingrays, 18, 191cm, 77kg

6. Ben McEvoy Murray Bushrangers, 18, 200cm, 90kg

7. Chris Masten East Fremantle, 18, 179cm, 78kg

8. Rhys Palmer East Fremantle, 18, 180cm, 76kg

9. David Myers Perth, 18, 190cm, 85kg

10. Brad Ebert Port Adelaide Magpies, 17, 187cm, 86kg

11. Cyril Rioli St Mary's, Darwin/ Scotch College, 18, 178cm, 74kg

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/trade-winds-to-affect-draft/2007/10/06/1191091429470.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

If she got the heights and weights from the draft camp then we can safely assume that Cale Morton has put on about 4kgs since the start of the year and that shows he may be able to add the necessary kilos over the next 2 years that are required.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #201 on: October 07, 2007, 06:31:53 AM »
I still prefer Cotchin. He's ready to go year 1 and in the midfield where we badly lack ballwinning class. Morton will still need to add 9kgs.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #202 on: October 07, 2007, 06:36:36 AM »
Its a shame that Myers isnt 2 or 3cm taller, if he was 193 and not 190 hed be right up at 2 for me. Anyway going of the list provided, most of the kids need to hit the weight room big time.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #203 on: October 07, 2007, 07:14:18 AM »
I still prefer Cotchin. He's ready to go year 1 and in the midfield where we badly lack ballwinning class. Morton will still need to add 9kgs.

true mt but with cale comes mitch, and mitch is a classy player also, and was during his draft days very impressive also , in a better field than what cotchin is in. sa really, mitch can add to our midfeild and really could be a better player than cotchin.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 12:52:59 PM by xXx »

Ramps

« Reply #204 on: October 07, 2007, 11:27:54 AM »
interesting to see Alex Rance miss out on the top 10 in that list. I still say if we nab Rance at some stage of the draft we would have done ok. Anyone know how he went at Draft camp?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #205 on: October 07, 2007, 08:52:55 PM »
interesting to see Alex Rance miss out on the top 10 in that list. I still say if we nab Rance at some stage of the draft we would have done ok. Anyone know how he went at Draft camp?
No mention of Rance, Selwood, Maric, Pears or Grimes.

I never understand why they don't publish all the draft camp stats as a pdf. All the clubs know this info anyway so making it public won't make a difference to anything.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #206 on: October 07, 2007, 08:57:33 PM »
Its a shame that Myers isnt 2 or 3cm taller, if he was 193 and not 190 hed be right up at 2 for me. Anyway going of the list provided, most of the kids need to hit the weight room big time.
Myers is at that in-between height. Out of that list only Henderson is a true KPP size.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #207 on: October 07, 2007, 09:47:18 PM »

true mt but with cale comes mitch, and mitch is a classy player also, and was during his draft days very impressive also , in a better field than what cotchin is in. sa really, mitch can add to our midfeild and really could be a better player than cotchin.
Mitch is a HFF or that's at least where he's played in his AFL career. I'm concerned we're only getting him so Cale never wants to return home to WA. Not really a smart recruiting policy IMV.

There is a reason Cotchin is rated No. 2 by every club except apparently us (who just happen to spend the least on recruiting). This kid can play football and performances of others at what is essentially a glorified athletics carnival doesn't change that. Buddy, Murphy, Pendlebury, Selwood didn't finish top 10 in any of the athletic tests but they can play AFL footy at a high standard from an early age.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #208 on: October 07, 2007, 10:42:55 PM »
i would be very very surprised if trent is not a tiger.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #209 on: October 08, 2007, 12:56:44 AM »
i heard that carlton (if a deal with west coast doesn't fall through) will give richmond there 3rd pick (richmond has 2,3) for a deal to not take judd in the pre-season ... and let them use there 2nd pick (pre-season pick) for him ... has anyone else heard this ??? ... not bad if you ask me ...