Author Topic: 2007 NAB Draft  (Read 38353 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: 2007 NAB Draft
« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2007, 05:21:22 PM »
There's also a third list lodgement at the end of the month (Nov 30) after the National draft.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #241 on: November 11, 2007, 10:55:16 PM »
Okay there's a million phantom drafts around but here's two where the BF posters (TOA - Eagles' fan and Quigley) have gone to a bit of effort with explanations:

Pick 2 – Richmond – Trent COTCHIN (07/04/89) 185/80
Cotchin ticks a lot of boxes; bottom-age, quality skills off both feet, good pace and footy smart. He has suffered from various injuries this year and has probably only shown form as a half forward pushing up onto the ball. Will he be the Tigers selection at 2? Who knows, it will probably be easier to flip a coin than decide. Assuming Kreuzer is selected by the Blues, then it looks like a race in two between Cotchin and Morton. There have been varying rumours on who the Tigers will select here. Some say they wouldn’t have traded for Mitch Morton if they didn’t want Cale and that Cale is very much a Richmond type of player because of his height and athleticism. Others argue that Cotchin is just what they need and is the better prospect because of his inside ability. There is little doubt that Cale has received interest from the Tigers, he was the first player they approached at the draft camp and there are rumours that head recruiter prefers him to Cotchin. However I will back the Tigers to go with the local boy based only on a hunch. Although it must be said I’m not doing it with any confidence whatsoever.

Pick 18 – Richmond – Steven GAERTNER (02/01/90) 198/85
Gaertner is X-factor personified. Bottom-age, seriously quick, very tall and extremely agile, he could be something very special. He could go anywhere from pick 5 to 40, the one thing holding him back is his kicking, and it will be the club who is surest they can correct this flaw that will take him. Among others, the Tigers, WC and Adelaide have shown interest. The Tigers ideally want to get a key defender at this selection and Gaertner has the pace which Miller and co have emphasised in the past. If available then you’d expect they’d consider Pears (who they have spoken to on more than one occasion) or Rance strongly. If they decided to go small then Tigers have been strongly linked to Dangerfield, and also Addam Maric.

Pick 50 – Richmond– Dean PUTT (23/04/89) 203/90
Smokey who could go a lot earlier given his testing results at his state screening. Not really a ruckman at this stage but has the elements to be a very handy AFL player. Rumour that the Tigers looking at taking someone ‘from left field’ at this pick, Putt could be the man.

Pick 62 – Richmond – Pass

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395295

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #242 on: November 11, 2007, 10:57:53 PM »
2. Richmond – Cale Morton – DOB 18/1/90 Ht 192 Wt 75
Richmond have a tough decision to make about whether to take Morton or Cotchin. At the end I decided to go with Morton basically because of he adds some much needed height to Tigers running brigade. It also reunites two of the Morton brothers and might be the best way to get the best out of Mitch who has been a bit of a problem child to date.

Morton was the Larke medallist and rightly so from my perspective. Playing in the middle or at half back he gave the Western Australians great run and the effectiveness of his disposal set him apart from the other midfielders for WA. He averaged 25 possessions a match and made them all count. He has good hands, works well in tight and never seems to fumble but for me most impressive is his kicking. He has a beautiful, long kick off either foot and he has the great ability to hit his man in stride. His disposal was as good as any at the championships. He is good under pressure in the backline and seems to have the time to pick out the best option. His vision and player awareness is also very good. He will go forward when the chance arises and will kick goals anywhere from 55m in. Coming into the year there was questions about his marking ability but he seems to have laid those issues to rest leading Div 1 with 28 marks for the three matches.

There will be some conjecture about where he will play at AFL level. Not because he lacks anything physically or skill wise but simply because he could legitimately play anywhere much like Chad Cornes. At 192 cms he could end up a key position and the thought of him running off half back would have a lot of teams salivating. On the other side of the coin it had the best beep test at camp (15.4) and is an elite runner and as such he could get a run in the midfield with any team in the AFL. At the moment he is too thin to play key position and is likely to start on the wing or a flank where he can use his running ability. Cale is an intriguing combination of physical, athletic and skill talents that would have the teams drafting in the top four rubbing their hands together. At camp he also finished 3rd in the 3km time trial.

He played mostly school football this year and only managed one game of seniors for Claremont but he did manage to be named the best player for them in that game. The main concerns about Mitch I think centre around personality and development issues which seem to run in his family.

18. Richmond – Tom Bellchambers – DOB 9/7/89 Ht 199 Wt 91
Richmond need to pick up a ruck in this draft and for me Bellchambers would be a very nice addition to their side. He is a big bodied ruck that will be able to provide a contest and will likely be playing before most of the more lightly built rucks prospects have developed. An AFL preseason is likely to do him the world of good and he could end up being a steal at the end of the first round or early second.

For me he was clearly the best ruck in Division 2 this year being too strong for his opposition. He was unlucky that the Div 1 rucks were so strong this year otherwise he might have been a strong chance for AA. His game body shape, size and game is similar to that of Clark Keating except that he is more of a tap ruck rather than a crash and bash sort in the ruck. There is a fair bit of the crash and bash though around the ground where he doesn’t mind throwing his ample frame around. His 1%ers are very good for a big man and he will work to lay a tackle and shepherd when needed. In the ruck he is one of the more skilled tap rucks going around this year and he gets first hands to the ball more often than not. It is worth noting that he beat Matthew Clarke in his VFL debut against the Scorpions this year.

It is probably unlikely that he will ever be a high possession ruck but he will get a few and his disposal is pretty good. Around the ground he is a lumbering sort (ie not quick) that looks ungainly but still manages to cover a fair bit of ground. Word is that his conditioning levels are poor and for me that is encouraging. I was impressed with him when he was half fit and so if he lifts his endurance he has an excellent chance of being a top shelf ruckman. I would be interested to see what he measured in at at camp as when I have seen him in person I came away thinking that might be shorter than advertised. That being said I still is legitimate ruck size at AFL level. For me he is a late first early second round pick. I couldn’t see Richmond, Bulldogs, West Coast and Melbourne all passing from him at the top of the second round.

51. Richmond – Austin Wonaeamirri – DOB 2/10/88 Ht 176 Wt 76
Richmond haven’t had much luck recently with their short indigenous players but with them setting up their indigenous academy I would expect them to take one or two aboriginal guys this year. Wonaeamirri is a hard working in and under who would add some starch to their midfield which has too many soft players at the moment I think. I like him and Richmond could do a lot worse at this stage.

The biggest problem for Wonaeamirri may be that he just doesn’t look like a footballer. He is a bit on the short side and doesn’t look in shape being a bit on the pudgey side (technical term there). When I watch him I tend to prejudge him because of that but I am willing to admit the kid can play. He also may be a bit taller than advertised as he was listed at 178 in end of year publications.

At the Champs he probably covered as much ground as any of the Territory guys and I would expect him to have lead them in disposals. He has good pace and is capable of bursting through tackles with pace and strength. He has good vision and lead the way through the middle or off half back for the Territory. He has good skills off either foot although when pressured some of his disposals can go astray. Any team looking to toughen up their midfield could do worse than Wonaeamirri as he is as tough as nails and tackles exceptionally well. He is older than most draft picks and this might count against him. He has been good in the seniors for Norwood this year as a goal kicking wingman. Wonaemirri was named NT’s best player at the Champs.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395411

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #243 on: November 11, 2007, 11:15:29 PM »
TOA and Quigley have put some effort into that.

They've even modified where our picks will effectively fall.

ps D'Oh! :-X (Thanks O-E  :))
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 08:43:20 AM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Ramps

« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2007, 07:32:34 AM »
less than 2 weeks away now. Personally I dont feel any sense of great excitement we left ourselves in a poor position having to take a 3rd pick at 51. Hopefully we can find 1 really good player at 2 (who will play 200 games and 1 handy player at 18 who can go on and play 100 games of AFL footy and at pick 51 ... lets just all go to church and pray for a miracle lol.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #245 on: November 12, 2007, 03:19:11 PM »
we are getting trent cotchin !

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #246 on: November 12, 2007, 03:21:51 PM »

i hope your right but based on what

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #247 on: November 12, 2007, 05:19:16 PM »
less than 2 weeks away now. Personally I dont feel any sense of great excitement we left ourselves in a poor position having to take a 3rd pick at 51. Hopefully we can find 1 really good player at 2 (who will play 200 games and 1 handy player at 18 who can go on and play 100 games of AFL footy and at pick 51 ... lets just all go to church and pray for a miracle lol.
That's the problem with only having 3 picks. You can't afford to make a mistake  :-\.

TOA's phantom picks aren't the worst 3 selections linked to us IMO. I'd be concerned though if we picked up two Division 2 draftees as Quigley has us doing. Div 2 (Tas, NSW, Qld and NT) was really poor this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #248 on: November 12, 2007, 05:58:07 PM »
The AFL site has a summary of the potential top ruck draftees - follow the link

Matthew Kreuzer – Northern Knights, Vic, 199.5cm, 94.0kg, DOB 13/5/89

Dawson Simpson - Murray Bushrangers, Vic, 205.9cm, 104.9kg, 17/2/89

Ben McEvoy – Murray Bushrangers, Vic, 200.2cm, 94.6kg, 11/7/89

Tom Bellchambers - Tassie Mariners, Tas, 200.7cm, 99.6kg, 9/6/89

Joel Smouha – Mt Gravatt, Qld, 196.3cm, 82.1kg, 5/2/90

http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=53158

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #249 on: November 14, 2007, 04:06:57 AM »
Footydraft.com has been resurrected for 2007. So far it has 23 profiles on potential draftees. Worth checking out.

footydraft.com

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #250 on: November 14, 2007, 12:39:17 PM »
Top draft prospects: Tall defenders
10:12 AM Wed 14 November, 2007
By Jason Phelan,
afl.com.au

Alex Rance – Swan Districts, WA, 192.3cm, 87.6kg,  DOB 9/10/89

David Myers – Perth, WA, 190.7cm, 86.2kg, DOB 30/6/89

Tayte Pears – East Perth, WA, 190.1cm, 91.8kg, DOB 24/3/90

Tom Collier – Tassie Mariners, TAS, 192.3cm, 83.7kg, DOB 25/3/89

Chris Kangars – Geelong Falcons, VIC, 193.1cm, 84.9kg, DOB 1/8/89

Full article and profiles at: http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=53227

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #251 on: November 14, 2007, 02:26:41 PM »

i hope your right but based on what

"based" on a mate's close source ...

richmondrules

« Reply #252 on: November 14, 2007, 08:16:03 PM »
There's a full list of nominees here

http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=53248

According to it Andrew Kellaway and Shane Morrison have both nominated.  :-\ ???

And Ty Zantuck.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #253 on: November 14, 2007, 08:18:43 PM »
There's a full list of nominees here

http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=53248

According to it Andrew Kellaway and Shane Morrison have both nominated.  :-\ ???

And Ty Zantuck.

ah young ty, what happened there?

richmondrules

« Reply #254 on: November 14, 2007, 08:21:01 PM »
ah young ty, what happened there?

I think it's what didn't happen between his ears.