Author Topic: Irish recruits [merged]  (Read 11950 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Irish recruits [merged]
« on: August 16, 2007, 03:01:21 AM »
Emerald Isle lure for Aussies
16 August 2007   Herald Sun
Daryl Timms

RICHMOND will investigate an ambitious proposal to launch a footballer exchange program with Ireland.

The Tigers could provide players, who don't reach the top AFL level, to Ireland's Gaelic Athletic Association.

Irish football officials are concerned about the increasing interest from AFL clubs, who want to poach some of the country's best young Gaelic players.

Tigers football director Greg Miller said yesterday the provision of Australian players to Ireland could ease some of the tension.

"At the moment it's one-way traffic, but it could change if Australian players were going to Ireland," Miller said.

While the Irish footballers are amateurs, Miller said a life-style change could lure Australians to Ireland to play Gaelic football.

Miller and player agent Peter Jess, who has been identifying Irish talent for nearly two decades, will investigate the proposal when they travel to Ireland in October.

"It's Peter's idea and I certainly think it has got merit," Miller said.

"We will talk to people over there in October and say that while the traffic is one-way, maybe there could be players over here who aren't totally suited to our game but could be better suited to their game.

"Although they don't pay money in Ireland, the provide career opportunities and players here could be looking for a change."

Miller said tension remained in Ireland over last year's International Rules Series, which was marred by violence.

The Irish called off this year's series in Australia and will only re-ignite further series if the AFL agrees to various rule changes.

And now the presence of several AFL club recruiting scouts in Ireland has the Irish worried about losing more young talent to Australia.

Miller said it would not just be players who didn't make it at Richmond who could be interested in playing in Ireland.

"It's not just Richmond per se, but it could be across the board," he said.

"We might see someone who is on the list of another club who is not totally suited to our game who could be interested in a life change thing or a career change.

"Because we know the talent around Australia, by the virtue of the work you do as a recruiting department, it gives the chance to see who is available.

"We will go over to Ireland and see a few games and talk to the people there and see what their ideas are on the proposal and we will certainly explore the idea."

The Irish were in raptures over the form of former Richmond defender Andrew Kellaway when he toured Ireland with the Australian team in 2002. Irish coach John O'Keeffe said Kellaway, who was Australia's goalkeeper, would get a game with most top Gaelic teams.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22252802%255E19742,00.html

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Irish recruits [merged]
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:55:05 AM »

The Tigers could provide players, who don't reach the top AFL level, to Ireland's Gaelic Athletic Association.

Apparently half the Richmond team were at Travel World yesterday booking tickets to Ireland  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:17:09 AM »

Apparently half the Richmond team were at Travel World yesterday booking tickets to Ireland  :lol

;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:47:12 PM »

LOL

Unless the GAA allows professionalism into their game (paying players handsomely) then it's hard to see any AFL player heading to Ireland to play Gaelic footy. State and local suburban footy pays more than the Irish do by the sound of it. The GAA wouldn't lose too many players to AFL either if they were a professional sport.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 02:43:18 PM »
If you are not going to make the big league then a trip to Ireland would be a life experience thing. Get a job stay a couple of years and see some of the rest of the world. Pretty much what a number of lower level Rugby Union guys do already

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 05:00:27 PM »
If you are not going to make the big league then a trip to Ireland would be a life experience thing. Get a job stay a couple of years and see some of the rest of the world. Pretty much what a number of lower level Rugby Union guys do already
That's true Gracie but if it's an exchange program the Irish player coming the other way will stay longer than a couple of years if they makes it. No way would they make $200k plus per year back home. We'll still be taking away their most young and talented players while dumping our offcasts onto them. It'd be great for the RFC as it opens up the talent pool further for us to recruit from but I think it'll be hard to convince the GAA of such an idea.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 04:27:50 AM »
Turns out it only costs $1600 to sign up a talented Irish kid a la old form-four style as Carlton have done.

The Tigers should be looking at Irish rookies at that price.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/carlton-plunders-irish-teen-stocks/2007/10/23/1192941065450.html

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 08:46:41 AM »
we're busy being active

hahahaha ;D

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 09:03:29 AM »
Turns out it only costs $1600 to sign up a talented Irish kid a la old form-four style as Carlton have done.

The Tigers should be looking at Irish rookies at that price.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/carlton-plunders-irish-teen-stocks/2007/10/23/1192941065450.html

I hope the AFL decides to count that as salary cap money, they would be at the maximum now after Judd....they'll be in the pooh if they've exceeded the cap again!
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

FooffooValve

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 10:48:15 AM »
The Irish thing is a fad. It's a way of demonstrating to the football world that you are "leaving no stone unturned to be successful". OK.  ::)

But there are hundreds of genuinely good footballers running around in TAC/SANFL/WAFL etc and suburban football teams who deserve just as much scrutiny as Gaelic footballers. Blokes that have grown up playing the game. We need to spend more on identifying these guys, lets not worry too muhc about the Irish grandstanding.

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 01:07:13 PM »
$1600 is the figure quoted in that article, but the real cost of scouting, bringing them over etc would be quite big.

We are responsibly managing the finances of the club, we don't have a corrupt sugar daddy like Roman Prattovich to pay for everything. Instead we are living within our means, ensuring we have financial stability, and focusing on the most important matters like increasing spend on local recruiting, player development, facilities.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 02:23:21 PM »
Bringing over Gaelic footballers is the latest fad but the difference here is with an Irish kid he is yours if you find him whereas a kid in the TAC/SANFL/WAFL would still have to go into the National or rookie drafts and you may miss out on getting him despite using your resources to discover him out there.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 05:41:36 PM »
Far from a fad...Started with Jim Stynes back in 87 and is still continuing today. Martin Clarke is a goodun' and Kennelly has been great for sometime. If you call 20 years a fad then I had better pull out my yo-yo's, frisbees and Hula-hoops. I see it as an option but there is a lot of risk. I don't really rate the o'hailpin brothers at all.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 07:03:27 PM »
Far from a fad...Started with Jim Stynes back in 87 and is still continuing today. Martin Clarke is a goodun' and Kennelly has been great for sometime. If you call 20 years a fad then I had better pull out my yo-yo's, frisbees and Hula-hoops. I see it as an option but there is a lot of risk. I don't really rate the o'hailpin brothers at all.
LOL I still have my yo-yos  :shh

Okay instead of fad let's just say it's become more trendy over the last couple of years since Kennelly won a flag with the Swans.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 03:02:06 AM »
No mention of us or our exchange idea in this latest Irish recruiting idea.

---------------------
AFL plunder: Grabbing Irish talent
Mark Robinson | February 13, 2008 12:00am

IRELAND'S best young talent is about to be plundered further with the introduction of a national recruiting network specifically for AFL clubs.

The audacious plan, the brainchild of manager Ricky Nixon of Flying Start, has a recruiter in each of Ireland's 32 counties reporting to a national co-ordinator.

That co-ordinator would then feed player information, videos and profiles into a central internet port.

For a fee, believed to be about $30,000 a year, clubs would have exclusive access to the best 14 to 20-year-olds in the country.

It's believed Collingwood, which already has a recruiting system in Ireland, is keen to expand its database.

Clubs such as the Cats, Essendon, St Kilda, the Kangaroos, Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn, along with West Australian and South Australian clubs, will consider the proposal as their first major steps into the untapped riches of Ireland.

Already those clubs trail the Magpies, Carlton, Sydney and the Brisbane Lions in the Irish market.

Full article at: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23205041-19742,00.html