Author Topic: Irish recruits [merged]  (Read 11956 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Irish rookies training with us - Conor Meredith and Niall McKeever
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 03:54:59 AM »
Clubs sign for Irish experiment
Jon Ralph | June 13, 2008 12:00am

FOUR AFL clubs have committed to Ricky Nixon's controversial national recruiting network for Irish teenagers, with two more clubs close to signing up.

Nixon's brainchild will offer clubs extensive footage and profiles of the top 100 Irish players with potential to transfer their skills to AFL football.

Geelong, Richmond, the Brisbane Lions and St Kilda have all committed to the $30,000 package, with North Melbourne and another unidentified club also extremely interested.

The Flying Start founder also has the backing of the AFL, which will recommend to the Galeic Athletic Association (GAA) it sits down with Nixon to scrutinise his plan.

Nixon has established a network of talent spotters consisting of Gaelic footy coaches, former AFL players now in Ireland, university professors and sports psychologists.

Many of the elite juniors are offered university scholarships, with Nixon to hold a talent camp at one of those universities, most likely in August.

Nixon said yesterday he hoped the scheme could spread to Northern America and Africa.

"It's all systems go. We have all the top 100 players over there and profiles on all of them, with the top 20 ranked 1-20," he said.

"We have new sports technology, a Swedish company called Dartfish which video-analyses players, and tags particular players to watch.

"(Recruiter) Stephen Wells can be sitting in an office in Geelong and at any time he can get onto a website and watch the highlights of the best players."

Nixon will arrive in Ireland next week to set up the training camp, which will put players through a series of physical, skill-based and psychological tests.

The participating clubs will be at the camp, assessing the players aged 17-21, and the prospective talent will be given a presentation on the transition to the AFL.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23856436-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: RFC invests $30k in Ricky Nixon's Irish recruiting network
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 03:58:59 AM »
Young Irish players, and parents, to get taste of what AFL offers
Peter Hanlon | June 13, 2008

AUSTRALIAN football's global star search is set to intensify with a virtual draft camp to be held in Ireland in August featuring the best young Gaelic footballers with designs on a career in the AFL.

Player manager Ricky Nixon will this morning meet officials from Geelong, St Kilda, Richmond, North Melbourne and Brisbane Lions, who have paid $30,000 each to be the inaugural member clubs in what is essentially a national Irish recruiting scheme.

Nixon hopes their reward will be almost immediate.

"I'm pretty determined to get each of our original member clubs a good player in the first 12 months; I'm committed to that," Nixon said yesterday.

"If we don't it will be because the system doesn't work and the pool's not there, but I very much doubt that, given the footage I've seen in the last 24 hours. It's very exciting what some of these kids are going to be doing off half-back flanks or a wing in the next few years."

While talent-spotting in Ireland is nothing new to AFL football — nine Irishmen feature on 2008 club lists — Nixon's project would intensify the search to an unprecedented level. When he lands in Ireland in a fortnight, he will join a group of seven heading up the project at that end, including Lion Colm Begley's brother Joe, plus an elite junior coach, a sports psychologist, a university professor, an Australian expat who played in the VFL, and an ex-AFL teammate of Nixon's.

"I've already heard that one club person has heard I'll be in Ireland for a month and jumped on a plane," he said of the concern his plan has created among clubs who have preferred to go it alone.

"Clubs here feel like they've been doing it, but they know they haven't been doing it well. Not only that, they're fearful of who we might have on our list, and that this cartel is going to be far more attractive to a player than just one club going to see them."

A group of 20 to 30 Gaelic footballers aged 17 to 22, but mostly in the 17 to 19 bracket, will be invited to attend a camp in either Dublin or Belfast in August. Their parents will also be invited, with presentations made on all things AFL as well as life in Australia.

"This is a massive step forward compared to one club going over there and saying, 'Come to Australia, we'll look after you'," Nixon said.

The groundwork for drawing up a list of 100 prospective draftees has been made easier by using software from Swedish company Dartfish, which AFL clubs have already used as a teaching tool, but which in this instance has been applied to footage from GAA games to form a database of players.

"The software tags whatever you want — kicks, marks, handballs, shots on goal, etc. It will enable us to call up, say, Bill Murphy from Dublin, and if you click on 'kicks', footage of all of his kicks will come up one after the other. You don't need the whole game.

"We've got 100 players listed, full profiles on them, and we've ranked the first 15 to 20.

"We've identified a No. 1 draft pick — he's very quick, six foot three (191 centimetres), a Tadhg Kennelly type but a bit bigger."

Nixon said he had encountered resistance from GAA clubs and officials fearful of losing prime talent, and he hoped to meet them while in Ireland. He would tell them: "Anyone we take out of there will be a good chance to play AFL footy, as opposed to the amount who come across here now and end up playing VFL or in the suburbs."

AFL clubs are allowed no more than two international players on their lists.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/young-irish-players-and-parents-to-get-taste-of-what-afl-offers/2008/06/12/1212863840034.html

Ramps

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 10:07:15 AM »
Great move from our club. Its about time we started to get involved in this stuff. Hopefully we can find a decent player to develop.

Moi

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 10:50:25 AM »
What about South Africa, aren't clubs looking there as well?

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 11:02:04 AM »
Hoping for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 11:49:03 AM »
How will this work?  Is there a special way of drafting kids from overseas ? If not wont all the clubs have access to any of these kids thought the draft ?

Draft day goes like this

Ess call  Calum Murphy,  Richmond next pick , DAM , we sunk $30,000 into getting this kid and he got taken before we could.

How do we secure any talent we spot?

Gee I have alot of questions today dont I?
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 08:20:35 PM »
They're classed as international rookies on your list aren't they? I thought you could have one international rookie per list so if you pick one us then he's treated as any other rookie and other clubs can't touch them. Good initiative by the club to get involved.

Eagles, Freo, Pies and Blues have access to zones in South Africa Moi. Cost them about $200k each.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 10:41:01 PM »
One club (i imagine it was us) tried to have the group of 4 clubs agree to a draft type set up. Sadly this was not agreed. Its every club for itself with the 4 clubs having to battle one another for the signatures of the irish lads.

The irish boys seem most comfortable, in midfield roles, if we could find just one like Marty Clark at Collingwood it would be sensational.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 02:00:55 PM »
Ricky Nixon talks a bit more about the Irish venture we're signed up to....

Now you’ve got five AFL clubs signed up for your venture over there – Brisbane, Geelong, North Melbourne, Richmond and St Kilda. How does it work? They pay you a fee and what does that get them?

Number one is we’re tapped into Dartfish software. Stephen Wells at Geelong, for example, instead of him spending a lot of money having to go to Ireland all the time to identify talent, every week in his office he goes onto this site. The top 25 players are on there, he’ll click on their face or name and get information on what they’ve done in the last couple of weeks and also edited-up tagged highlights from their Gaelic matches – kicks, marks, handballs, clearances, whatever you want to see.

You’re also going to run a draft camp.

Yeah, we’re going to run one similar to the one run at the AIS. It’ll just be a two-day camp that’ll involve some physical testing with all the normal stuff; some psychological tests, some skills testing which will involve a fair bit with the Gaelic ball, just to get them comfortable, and then some with the Aussie Rules ball. And then we’ll do some face-to-face interviews with the clubs.

We’ll also do some social activities just to see how they interact with other people and that’ll be a full two days.

Are you hopeful more AFL clubs might come on board?

Yes and no. I certainly don’t think it could work with 16. I don’t think it could work with more than seven or eight.

There’s a couple pending. A couple of clubs, such as Collingwood and Sydney, have or say they already have great networks over there.

The [GAA] president made it very clear that he would like me to put something back to them about the welfare of the players that don’t make it. We already do it, but they weren’t aware of that.

Where have these potential players come from?

We’ve got a list of about 80 or 90 players that we’ve identified as having the potential to play AFL footy. They range from 17 to 23 and have been identified by a former AFL player, Dermot McNicholl who played with me at St Kilda, by three people who are involved in coaching elite junior sport over there and some other people who shall remain confidential.

And are these 80 or 90 players off-limits to the 11 other AFL clubs not involved in your program?

No, not at all. A kid rang me the other day and said, 'I’ve been invited to go to a meeting with this club, what should I do?' and I said, 'I’m telling you, you should go because I’m inviting 25 to my camp, you’ll be lucky if four of you get taken, so you should go to every meeting you can. But what I’m telling you is don’t sign with them, because why wouldn’t you get yourself in front of five other clubs as well and then make a decision after that?'

How will that work?

The minute the camp’s over the clubs are on their own in a competitive environment. So when the camp’s done, I’ve narrowed this down, I’ve tested them, you are now competing against Collingwood, Sydney or anyone else in our co-op and they all understand and know that that’s the case. But they’re getting a bloody cheap recruiting system for $30,000.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=63532

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond Tigers holding AFL recruitment camp in Ulster (BBC)
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 03:00:00 AM »
AFL clubs plan recruitment camp 
BBC Sport
Thursday, 14 August 2008 20:49 UK

Paul McComiskey is one of the players attracting talent scouts

Ulster counties are bracing themselves for the loss of their best young talent after details emerged of an Aussie Rules recruitment camp.

Five Australian clubs, including the Brisbane Lions and Richmond Tigers, are to be represented at the two-day camp in Castlebar later this month.

It is believed 15 of the 22 players invited are from Ulster teams.

They include Colm Cavanagh, Paul McComiskey and Michael Murphy and Dessie Mone.

Kerry duo David Moran and Tommy Walsh are also on the list.

Down youngster McComiskey has already been offered a trial with the Lions while Walsh is being tipped for the young player of the year award after a string of fine performances in the Championship.

News of the camp comes just weeks after Tyrone minor star Kyle Coney opted for a move to Australia with Sydney Swans

The latest development will be a serious concern for GAA chiefs who fear the amateur game's top youngsters being tempted by big-money deals from Australia.

The talent drain is a major worry for managers as their team-building plans face being thrown into disarray.

In July Cavan officials complained to the AFL governing body after a scouting session for the Australian code was held at Breffni Park without permission.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7562140.stm

Ramps

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 10:30:42 AM »
the fact that we are paying money and sending people over should see us try and sign 2 players from this program. the irish boys seem most suited to midfield roles, midfielders are also easier to develop.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond to take 1 or 2 Irish players: Nixon
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 03:19:12 AM »
Quick Irish results: Nixon
By Ben Broad
Fri 22 August, 2008

LEADING player manager Ricky Nixon believes at least three of the five AFL clubs involved in next week's two-day draft camp in Ireland could have something to show for it next season.

Nixon and officials from the Brisbane Lions, Geelong, North Melbourne, Richmond and St Kilda flew out to Dublin on Friday afternoon.

After their arrival they will watch an All-Ireland second semi-final before heading west to Castlebar for a two-day simulated draft camp featuring more than 20 of the country's best young Gaelic footballers.

There, Nixon thinks AFL clubs on the cusp of finals action are more likely to go hard in the pursuit of international talent.

"At this stage I think that St Kilda, Richmond and possibly Brisbane – who have already got a couple of Irish players – but certainly Richmond and St Kilda will probably take one or two players at this time," Nixon said.

"The Kangaroos are probably a bit like Geelong. They can take it all in the next 12 months and get their head around it and see how it goes."

Earlier this week Cats' recruiting manager Stephen Wells said Geelong would be open to the idea of the reigning premiers trying to entice a talented youngster back to Skilled Stadium but hinted his club was using the trip for more of 'look and see'.

Nixon believes the trip will be a learning experience for all clubs. He says while none can go expecting to find the "next Nick Riewoldt", it will give them a better understanding of the potential fruits that lie across the other side of the globe.

"It's a bit of an eye-opener for them," Nixon said.

"Look, some of the clubs probably won't take any players in the short term because they've got lists that they're happy with.

"But at least it gives them an introduction to Ireland and how the system works and the types of players and all that, which I think is a good idea to be honest."

Who'll be in Ireland?
Brisbane Lions – football manager Graeme Allan
Geelong – recruiter Luke Williams
North Melbourne – recruiter Cameron Joyce
Richmond – strategy and list manager Craig Cameron
St Kilda – chief executive Archie Fraser

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=66064

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 10:02:47 AM »
Very strange that the StKilda CEO is going rather than someone from the football department

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers, Saints and Roos interested in Ireland (afl)
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2008, 01:42:51 PM »
Saints, Tigers and Roos interested in Ireland
afl.com.au
By Tim Kirby
11:49 AM Sat 30 August, 2008

ST KILDA, Richmond and North Melbourne are set to rookie-list three Irish youngsters at the end of the 2008 season, according to reports in Saturday’s Herald Sun.

A 195cm midfielder, a forward and a “Marty Clarke-type” were identified as potential recruits among 20 of Ireland’s young Gaelic stars at a three-day camp held at Castlebar, near Galway, on the Irish west coast.

The Melbourne clubs returned from Ireland on Friday and were understood to be committed to inviting one player each to Australia in the post-season. Geelong and Brisbane also attended the camp but made no commitment to recruiting youngsters.

Conducted in the same mould as the draft camp, the exercise was organised by high-profile player manager Ricky Nixon and may help uncover future international stars in the tradition of Jim Stynes and Tadhg Kennelly.

“I’m pretty confident at least three players will be in Australia before the end of the year,” said Nixon.

“They might come out for a week or two, first just to find out if it’s for them, and you’ve got to remember it’s both ways here, the player might get here and hate the place and at the same time the clubs will have a good look at them.”

The camp included skills and psychological testing and interviews with each of the recruiting representatives from the five clubs.

“It wasn’t too dissimilar to the draft camp where recruiters were able to watch how they interact with each other.

“I was surprised how the players adapted very quickly to the kicking and the handball game,” Nixon said.

One of the stand-outs was Niall McKeever, who at 195cm, scored 14.5 in the beep test.

“He is super quick, agile and kept getting the ball [in the handball game]. He is Nick Riewoldt in size but you could play him on the wing.

“The other two vary from a big, strong forward to a small, 5’10”-type player, a Marty Clarke-type, robust and energetic,” said Nixon.

“I think the clubs were excited with what they saw.”

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=66644

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 05:00:54 PM »
nixon up to his tricks again...wouldnt trust the bloke as far as i could spit. :banghead