Author Topic: Irish recruits [merged]  (Read 11953 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Irish rookies training with us - Conor Meredith and Niall McKeever
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2008, 08:39:19 PM »
So how does this work if they are training at 2 different clubs and both sides want them. Is it first in or the highest bid? What is the length of contract offered?

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2008, 06:44:24 PM »
So how does this work if they are training at 2 different clubs and both sides want them. Is it first in or the highest bid? What is the length of contract offered?

Stripes
I believe to appease the GAA's concerns of poaching, Irish players get classed now as normal rookies (since 2006). Begley was an international rookie in 2005 but Marty Clarke was drafted at pick 40 of the 2006 rookie draft. I think they get a one-year deal as that's what Adelaide gave their Irish rookie. I'm guessing if they are now drafted then it's first in. We have first dibs before North and St Kilda.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2008, 11:42:16 PM »

richmondrules

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2008, 08:13:33 AM »
a bit of romance perhaps, Im not holding my breath we have the next royce hart in this lot ???

Geez. We've been looking for the next Royce Hart for almost 30 years now and we can't find him in Australia. Talk about high expectations. lol.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2008, 11:13:02 AM »

Stripes
I believe to appease the GAA's concerns of poaching, Irish players get classed now as normal rookies (since 2006). Begley was an international rookie in 2005 but Marty Clarke was drafted at pick 40 of the 2006 rookie draft. I think they get a one-year deal as that's what Adelaide gave their Irish rookie. I'm guessing if they are now drafted then it's first in. We have first dibs before North and St Kilda.

Thanks MT. Makes the rookie draft almost more interesting than the National Draft this year for me.

Stripes

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond hosts Irish talent (rfc)
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2008, 02:41:53 PM »
Richmond hosts Irish talent
richmondfc.com.au
10:12 AM Tue 11 November, 2008

Richmond is one of three AFL clubs trialling players from Ireland ahead of this year’s AFL National and Rookie Drafts.

The Tigers will host two Irish players this week. They will take part in training activities under the watchful eye of the Club’s coaches and fitness staff.

Connor Meredith, a 186cm, 19-year-old from County Laois, and Niall McKeever, a 198cm 19-year-old from County Antrim, arrived at Punt Road Oval on Monday.

The pair were identified from the AFL camps attended by the Club’s recruiting staff in Dublin and Castlebar in August this year.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=69658

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Age story and pic of Irish boys Meredith and McKeever training with Richmond
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2008, 04:51:43 AM »

Irishmen Conor Meredith (left) and Niall McKeever hope their time training with Richmond will lead to a career in the AFL.

Irish are running hot
Dan Silkstone | November 13, 2008

HEAVING, beet-red and slathered in zinc cream the two young Irishmen hurled themselves onto the grass at Gosch's Paddock yesterday. And smiled.

Welcome to Australia.

"It's tough, no doubt about it," said 19-year-old County Antrim man Niall McKeever after training with Richmond's senior group. "The weather is just brutal."

They had left a chilly autumn with temperatures hovering in single figures and arrived on Sunday. Yesterday as they were put through their paces on their second day of a week-long trial at Tigerland, the two AFL aspirants slogged through 35-degree heat.

McKeever — a lanky 195 centimetre ruckman type with shoulders burned to red — grabbed a gulp of water as a minder from player manager Ricky Nixon's stable advised him to pick up some aloe vera on the way home.

"What's that then?" he wondered aloud.

Apparently there is not much call for it in Northern Ireland.

On the basis of yesterday's session, if the pair do not make it as AFL footballers it will not be for lack of application. Watching on, you wondered how they were possibly surviving under the punishing sun, but still they smiled and kept going.

"People warned me that Melbourne would be four seasons in one day, but since I got here it has been one season all day and every day," McKeever laughed afterwards.

McKeever and compatriot Conor Meredith are among five of the Gaelic game's brightest prospects, chosen from a camp held by Nixon in Ireland in August and flown to Melbourne for extended trials at Richmond, North Melbourne and St Kilda.

For those who make the grade, a spot on the rookie list and a potential new career on the other side of the world beckons.

The training drills are not entirely different to those of the amateur Irish game, both said, nor the aerobic capacity required to keep up. Yesterday, as the entire group ran a callous series of unending 200-metre sprints Meredith and McKeever impressively kept pace with their new colleagues.

But when the shirts came off the difference in size and power was stark.

"I'm competing well out here," McKeever said. "But in the gym it's the total opposite. I'm fairly fit, but for strength and power there is a big difference."

Then there's the swimming. In a recovery session at the beach on Tuesday, the two Irishmen struggled to do much more than prevent themselves from drowning.

Muscle can be added — it is what conditioning staff do with all rookies. Other things come harder. McKeever says the kicking is the biggest obstacle and you can see it as he puts his boot through the pigskin in a kicking drill and gives it a high, up-and-under arc unlike the flat, stab pass of a modern AFL player. Overhead marking is handled more assuredly. He has been working at home with a rugby ball, but has hardly ever kicked an Australian rules ball.

"I know that will get better, though," he says. "I hope that I've shown that I can improve physically in the gym and that I am capable of competing with these players."

The professionalism of the Australian game, he says, is the biggest attraction. "The coaches are so disciplined, there's so much help and support, anything you need, they help you."

It's a long way from the amateur pursuits of Gaelic football and the surveying degree at university that awaits him at home if his trial is unsuccessful.

McKeever was a senior listed player at his county, as was Meredith. They are among the brightest talents in the Irish game. The player many judge as the brightest — Tommy Walsh — will arrive in just over a week for a trial with St Kilda.

In Melbourne, they are pasty curiosities with big dreams, but these boys — and their journey — are big news back home. At yesterday's session they were watched by an Irish newspaper journalist and filmed by a camera crew from RTE, the Irish public broadcaster. Their more illustrious Tiger teammates were clearly amused at the media attention and responded with the obligatory ribbing.

Director Stephen McQuillan is making a documentary about Nixon's Irish experiment and the growing player exodus to Australia.

"It's quite a controversial thing over there," he says. "There's a movement from the players towards some sort of payment. When you see a player like Tommy Walsh coming out here who is the young player of the year over there, he's like a young Chris Judd. Marty Clarke before that was the best young player of his generation. They are losing heroes."

Walsh's imminent arrival is already big news in Ireland with Nixon hoping the young star is not pressured into withdrawing from the trial. Walsh's decision to try his luck in Australia is an even greater blow considering his father — Sean Walsh — is chairman of traditional powerhouse County Kerry.

McKeever has no idea what position he might play — though he says others have told him he'd make a good half-back. He has a background in soccer as well as Gaelic football and says he has dreamed of making a living from his talents.

"To do something you love and be paid and do it every single day of your life would be just unbelievable," he says.

Meredith — from County Louth — is 19, shorter but still athletic and more of a power runner. He can't stop smiling, though he looks as though he might vomit from the workout he has just completed.

"I love it here so far," he says. "I wasn't expecting such a high level of intensity in the training. The ball is tough, but this heat is a major factor. It's just so draining."

The word they both use to describe their adventure is lifestyle. "You see the life these guys live, the city, the weather, the training they put into their bodies and it is amazing," Meredith says.

Word has spread around the talented youth of Ireland — the achievements of household names such as Tadhg Kenneally and Clarke have not gone unnoticed. The exotic dream that brought Jim Stynes to Australia is becoming a commonplace ambition. Who knows what that will hold for the Irish game?

"People talk about it a lot," Meredith says. "There are more windows opening up here for us all the time. There will be nine or 10 Irish players here soon and they are all top players back home. The GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) people will be mad and definitely be against it, but what can they do to stop it? It's the individual's choice and for me the lifestyle here, the weather, everything is just great."

Age link....

Irishmen Connor Meredith and Niall McKeever also trained impressively with Richmond yesterday.

The club will decide whether to list them as rookies next year.

Herald-Sun link (last two lines)

Ramps

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2008, 08:27:52 AM »
If both boys show good signs then we should take a chance on them. In particular If McKeever can be taught how to kick straight then Id rookie him for sure, hes a good size. One thing that I like about the article is that they seem happy type individuals, and having some really positive blokes in a group can be beneficial to a whole group, I remember days down at Richmond, where people used to say that the joint was really negative and no one wanted to be there- and those werent good days. So in the end, it comes down to can we teach these boys how to play. If its yes then we take the chance.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

The exotic dream that brought Jim Stynes to Australia is becoming a commonplace ambition. Who knows what that will hold for the Irish game?

I always laugh when I read comments (there have been many recently) that point to Jim Stynes being THE Irish pioneer.  There was a pretty handy Irish player already entrenched at Melbourne 2 years before Stynes got here - Sean Wight anyone?  Played 150 games over 10 seasons, mainly at half back when Melbourne had some decent sides.  Could play a fair bit and got 13 Brownlow votes over his career.  He never gets mentioned and I have no idea why.  Wonder what happened to him?

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 09:48:05 AM »
I think Jim is mentioned most becasue he won the Brownlow and was such an imposing figure.

Stripes

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 10:03:09 AM »
I think Jim is mentioned most becasue he won the Brownlow and was such an imposing figure.

Stripes

Yeah, I get why he would be mentioned if you are talking about the best or most successful but he wasn't the pioneer - just another example of the media bending and telling a story their way enough times for it to become 'fact'.  Have I ever said how much I dislike and how little respect I have for the media?  :banghead   :)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 04:49:16 PM »
If both boys show good signs then we should take a chance on them. In particular If McKeever can be taught how to kick straight then Id rookie him for sure, hes a good size. One thing that I like about the article is that they seem happy type individuals, and having some really positive blokes in a group can be beneficial to a whole group, I remember days down at Richmond, where people used to say that the joint was really negative and no one wanted to be there- and those werent good days. So in the end, it comes down to can we teach these boys how to play. If its yes then we take the chance.
That stood out for me too. Their first experience of Aussie rules footy training is with us and they are saying they are loving it and praising every aspect of the club. They still need to train with the Saints/North for a week after us but hopefully this week being such a positive time for them sticks in their minds when deciding whether to stay in Oz and which club they would prefer to go to. Both come across as having a strong positive attitude and they are both still teenagers so there's plenty of time for them to learn.

At 195cm McKeever is too 'short' to be an AFL ruckman so he'll need to become a key forward/defender. If he's a good mark and very athletic already and he can get into the gym to build up his young frame and strength I think it'll be easier for him to become a forward in the long run. Most kicks then inside 50 just need to go straight between the big sticks rather than in defence precisely pinpointing teammates running into space within an opposition zone.

Ramps

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2008, 06:14:55 PM »
That stood out for me too. Their first experience of Aussie rules footy training is with us and they are saying they are loving it and praising every aspect of the club. They still need to train with the Saints/North for a week after us but hopefully this week being such a positive time for them sticks in their minds when deciding whether to stay in Oz and which club they would prefer to go to. Both come across as having a strong positive attitude and they are both still teenagers so there's plenty of time for them to learn.

At 195cm McKeever is too 'short' to be an AFL ruckman so he'll need to become a key forward/defender. If he's a good mark and very athletic already and he can get into the gym to build up his young frame and strength I think it'll be easier for him to become a forward in the long run. Most kicks then inside 50 just need to go straight between the big sticks rather than in defence precisely pinpointing teammates running into space within an opposition zone.

Correct! McKeever at that height has his best chance of developing into a Full Forward but theres plenty of water to go under the bridge just yet.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2008, 10:19:41 PM »

Correct! McKeever at that height has his best chance of developing into a Full Forward but theres plenty of water to go under the bridge just yet.
True Ramps that's a far way off even if McKeever did eventually make it but that's what the rookie list is for. Allowing 19 year olds especially rucks/KPPs extra time to develop; not keeping 20-something flankers who are just good VFL players as rookies for 3 years.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2008, 10:33:21 PM »
with any luck McKeever, the taller one shows a bit, if he has some stand out qualities in endurance, agility or can take a grab he may still cut it as a ruck option :gotigers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled