Author Topic: Irish recruits [merged]  (Read 11952 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers primed to sign starlet (Irish Herald)
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2008, 04:38:00 AM »
Tigers primed to sign starlet
By Catherine Murphy
Herald, Ireland
Friday November 14 2008

RICHMOND Tigers' football general manager of football Craig Cameron has said that the club will more than likely just sign one of the Irish hopefuls on trial with them in Melbourne this week.

Antrim's Niall McKeever and Laois' Conor Meredith have been put through a grueling week of pre-season training as the club assesses their potential.

Next week the duo will try to impress at another club with Meredith trialing with North Melbourne (Kangaroos) and McKeever due to visit St Kilda.

Overall Cameron said he was impressed with the boys in their trial which included a lengthy session in temperatures soaring to 35 degrees.

"I was really impressed at their resilience and the fact that they've such a good sense of humour and enthusiasm when they're training.

"Club locker rooms are quite macho and they've actually mixed in there no dramas so I've been really pleased with how they've gone. Conor's picked it up really quickly. He's benefited from being in Brisbane and Niall's really improved since I've seen him in Ireland."

http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaelic-football/tigers-primed-to-sign-starlet-1539331.html

Ramps

Re: Irish rookies training with us - Conor Meredith and Niall McKeever
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2008, 09:47:39 AM »
So which one was the preferred one. Id take the chance on the taller player McKeever. Bigger risk, but a much bigegr reward in terms of finding another key position player if it comes off.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL dream on for Meredith (Irish Herald)
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2008, 03:22:08 AM »
AFL dream on for Meredith
By Catherine Murphy
Herald, Ireland
Saturday November 15 2008

LAOIS footballer Conor Meredith is embracing a second chance to get signed up by an AFL club with trials for Richmond Tigers this week and North Melbourne next week.

The promising teenager was on the cusp of signing for the Brisbane Lions not so long ago, but a change in coach at the club meant the deal fell through.

"I got a phone call from them a few months ago saying ,'We want to sign you up, we want to give you a contract'," Meredith said.

"They said that they'd be in contact and then at that camp (Ricky Nixon's) they arrived and said that they'd ring in a few days.

"I thought that it was going to be good news but they never rang. So I emailed to ask what was going on and whether I should enroll in college. They said they'd get back to me but they never did ... so when this came along I really grabbed the opportunity."

Meredith has spent a gruelling week at Tigerland doing full pre- season training with the senior group along with Antrim's Niall McKeever, who's also on trial after impressing at football agent Nixon's August scouting camp.

While Meredith will trial with North Melbourne next week, McKeever will try his luck with St Kilda, the club which also hosts Kerry's young player of the year, Tommy Walsh. So far he's been impressed with the Tigers' set up.

"Richmond's been great so far, everyone has been so friendly and the coaches have been great, so that's a big bonus," McKeever said.

"If Richmond were to offer me a contract right now it would be so hard to turn down. It's something you dream of from when you're young. To do something you love every day of your life would be pretty unbelievable."

While the Australian experience has been positive so far, Meredith admitted that the reaction from people back home in Laois hasn't all been upbeat.

"You get a few begrudgers who think, 'What are you doing leaving the club and county?' They say it behind your back though. I don't listen to any of that anyway. But most people are positive. My brothers would love to be out here doing what I'm doing so they've really encouraged me and all my friends have really encouraged me to do it as well," he said.

It's been a testing week for the pair, who were forced to train in temperatures soaring to 35 degrees on Wednesday. The club, which will most likely sign only one of the Irish men according to general football manager Craig Cameron, has certainly been putting them through their paces.

"It was brutal. We were doing lots of sprints but we didn't do too bad. I think the coaches were impressed with the way we were able to keep up to the other players' pace a bit. We were like snow men going out there. I got burnt on my arms and neck so I certainly felt it the next morning," said Meredith.

McKeever had less issues with sunburn but more problems communicating with Australian players.

"Nobody here understands my accent. They seem to understand Conor better than me for some reason," he laughed.

There wasn't much of a settling in period. Since the duo arrived last Sunday it's been non-stop training.

"We trained Monday morning at nine o'clock so we didn't get much of a chance to ease ourselves into it. But it's probably for the best because you get a better feel for it. It's completely different to home. We're in bed now at nine and fast asleep. If you were at home you'd only be going to bed at 11 or 12 but we're so wrecked that you just have to get your sleep," said Meredith.

McKeever added that he believed the pair would be better for the experience, despite the intensity of training.

He said: "We've really been thrown in the deep end. I suppose it's a good thing though, because we know what a full week as an AFL player is going to be like."

http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaelic-football/afl-dream-on-for-meredith-1541020.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2008, 03:53:48 AM »
So which one was the preferred one. Id take the chance on the taller player McKeever. Bigger risk, but a much bigegr reward in terms of finding another key position player if it comes off.
You would have to see them train in the flesh to judge properly who is closer to making the transition from Gaelic to Aussie rules but going by his comments to the Irish press McKeever would sign with us today if offered a contract.

LOL at needing a translator for his accent  :lol.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2008, 04:10:22 AM »
The two other Irish players that were meant to arrive and train with St Kilda can't come down to Oz before the international rookie deadline date so that might make the Saints show more interest in McKeever who is training with them this week  :-\.

The Saints' Irish eyes not smiling
Samantha Lane | November 19, 2008

ST KILDA'S designs on two star Gaelic footballers appear to be foiled after a fluky set of events that will keep the Irish pair from trying out with the Saints until after the international draft deadline.

St Kilda was to welcome Tommy Walsh — the winner of the Gaelic Athletic Association's best young player award this year — and his Kerry teammate David Moran to Australia this Saturday, but a drawn weekend match in Ireland threw the county championships finals series on its head and the two players are required at home until November 30.

The deadline for international draft nominations is December 2.

It means St Kilda, which planned to assess Walsh and Moran through next week before deciding whether to add one or both to its list, has almost certainly been denied the chance this year.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/the-saints-irish-eyes-not-smiling/2008/11/18/1226770453420.html

Ramps

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2008, 10:10:27 AM »
McKeevers enthusiasm plus hes happiness with us is a good start, the first thing is for these irish lads to be happy to be here and to be happy at a club, that means that at least they will give it there best shot, the fact that these kids are teenagers means we can spend atleast 2 years on there development, we spent 4 years on Danny Meyer then flicked him. I hope we sign McKeever- I like his attitude and I like that he likes our club.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2008, 04:33:51 PM »
It was a definite bonus that they both trained with us first.

Sounds like Nixon's plans to give the Saint's the best Irish Rookies backfired.

Glad we have first crack before the Saints in the rookie draft. Just hope they don't surprize us by using one of their draft choices to get them earlier.. :pray

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2008, 07:51:45 PM »
The Saints will be too busy topping up with Cousins and Carroll so hopefully we'll get first digs at the Irish boys in the rookie draft.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2008, 07:52:37 PM »
Rumour on Saintsational says Conor Meredith is believed to have agreed to a two-year contract with North.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2008, 08:09:47 PM »
I hope we don't miss the boat picking up one of these Irish kids, the look pretty good from what I saw during the IR series. Not the kids mentioned just some of the others players, they could adapt to our code pretty quick.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Ramps

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2008, 08:14:40 PM »
I'd rather take the punt on McKeever anyway.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2008, 10:04:26 PM »
Perhaps we've already told both that we'll be rookieing McKeever. He seemed keen to sign with us while training at Punt Rd.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2008, 10:38:38 AM »
Rumour on Saintsational says Conor Meredith is believed to have agreed to a two-year contract with North.
A draftee can't agree to a contract with a club, he goes where ever he is picked and is payed a fixed salary

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2008, 06:32:24 PM »
It doesn't matter anyway as Duncan on Y&B says they were told last night at the draft night that we aren't going to pick up either of the two Irish boys who trained with us  :-\.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2008, 09:30:01 PM »
Oh well that's the luck of the Irish