Author Topic: Kelvin Moore [merged]  (Read 13566 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kel Moore [merged]
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 04:36:33 AM »
After playing on Pav, Buddy and Fev this year and doing a decent job to contain all three, do you think Kel from now on has got the jobs on the bigger key forwards or do we still need another key defender with size?

Offline shannon

• Jack Dyer medallist
Re: Kel Moore
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 06:35:04 AM »
now that polaks future is in doubt and that he wont play at all this yr, it is time time to fast track rance
DELEDIO FOR CAPTAIN ASAP!

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »
Wouldn't hurt. Having Riewoldt in defence was a bit of a joke.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger Moore to the fore (RFC)
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
Tiger Moore to the fore
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg
Thu 31 July, 2008

Kelvin Moore, of the Hawthorn variety, played 300 league games with the Hawks from 1970-84, was a member of three premiership sides, a club Best and Fairest winner, an All-Australian representative, and a Victorian State representative on 13 occasions.  Post- retirement, he was selected at full-back in Hawthorn’s Team of the Century, and was inducted into Australian Football’s Hall of Fame.

Kelvin Moore, of the Richmond variety, was elevated from the Club’s rookie list and made his senior league debut with the Tigers in 2004.  Up to the start of this year, an injury-plagued Moore had managed just 24 senior appearances in his four seasons at the game’s highest level.

This season, however, it’s a totally different story for Tiger Moore . . . He has played all 17 games to date and performed his backline duties so well, that he’s regarded as Richmond’s most improved player, and one of the most improved in the entire competition.

Not only has Moore done a fine job in curbing the talents of gun forwards such as Brendan Fevola, Lance Franklin, Matthew Lloyd, Warren Tredrea and Jonathan Brown, he’s also gathered a fair bit of the ball himself.

He’s averaging 16.2 possessions and 6.3 marks per game, with a career-high 24 possessions against West Coast at Subiaco in Round 15, and a career-high 17 marks v Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium in Round 13.

With his pace, strong spoiling, sure ball-handling, efficient disposal and coolness under pressure, Moore has become one of the first picked in the Richmond side each week this season, and he’s been a key factor in the Tiger resurgence.

If the 24-year-old can continue to improve, the comparisons with his 57-year-old ex-Hawk namesake will extend way beyond roll calls and signatures.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=64495

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
Re: Tiger Moore to the fore (RFC)
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »
Tiger Moore to the fore
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg
Thu 31 July, 2008

Kelvin Moore, of the Hawthorn variety, played 300 league games with the Hawks from 1970-84, was a member of three premiership sides, a club Best and Fairest winner, an All-Australian representative, and a Victorian State representative on 13 occasions.  Post- retirement, he was selected at full-back in Hawthorn’s Team of the Century, and was inducted into Australian Football’s Hall of Fame.

Kelvin Moore, of the Richmond variety, was elevated from the Club’s rookie list and made his senior league debut with the Tigers in 2004.  Up to the start of this year, an injury-plagued Moore had managed just 24 senior appearances in his four seasons at the game’s highest level.

This season, however, it’s a totally different story for Tiger Moore . . . He has played all 17 games to date and performed his backline duties so well, that he’s regarded as Richmond’s most improved player, and one of the most improved in the entire competition.

Not only has Moore done a fine job in curbing the talents of gun forwards such as Brendan Fevola, Lance Franklin, Matthew Lloyd, Warren Tredrea and Jonathan Brown, he’s also gathered a fair bit of the ball himself.

He’s averaging 16.2 possessions and 6.3 marks per game, with a career-high 24 possessions against West Coast at Subiaco in Round 15, and a career-high 17 marks v Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium in Round 13.

With his pace, strong spoiling, sure ball-handling, efficient disposal and coolness under pressure, Moore has become one of the first picked in the Richmond side each week this season, and he’s been a key factor in the Tiger resurgence.

If the 24-year-old can continue to improve, the comparisons with his 57-year-old ex-Hawk namesake will extend way beyond roll calls and signatures.

As i said at the start of the season "He would make some posters on this forum eat their words before the season ends" :gotigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kelvin Moore repaying faith in breakthrough season (The Australian)
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 03:36:39 AM »
Kelvin Moore repaying faith in breakthrough season
Malcolm Conn | August 01, 2008

AFTER just 24 games in four injury-riddled seasons of frustration and self-doubt, Kelvin Moore was just another young man in danger of having his AFL dream chewed up and spat out by an unforgiving system.

Suddenly a regular in 2008, he is Richmond's star stopper. The brave and nerveless key defender who put himself between Lions man-mountain Jonathan Brown and the ball with just 30 seconds remaining last Saturday night, to take a great mark and instantaneously begin one final desperate rebound with 30 seconds to play.

"I was a bit lucky that it fell short and I happened to be in front so for once instead of punching I thought I'd go for the mark and it ended up in my arms," Moore recalled with some understatement this week.

"I knew there wasn't long to go so I gave it to Jordan McMahon on the open side of the ground and he's quick."

The rest, as they say, is history. What was shaping as another fractured Tiger fairytale after a brilliant last quarter became an uplifting victory as Richmond, which so often burns the ball with poor skills, linked up to hit Joel Bowden on the chest for his third goal of the quarter.

That Moore had the will, ability and foresight to mark so strongly and play on so quickly was vindication for coach Terry Wallace of the improvement the player and his team have made this season after stringing together five wins in six weeks to have an outside chance of making the finals.

"The confidence to get in front and take the mark when he could have thought 'It's Jonathan Brown, I'll just kill the ball' was terrific," Wallace said.

"The work he's been doing with (defensive coach David King) and the whole confidence level of our players that the best way to defend is get a hold of the footy by marking it yourself.

"Equally as good was that he didn't have a relief factor, he didn't show the ball to the crowd, straight away he released to the other side of the ground, which gave us the opportunity of winning the game."

Like just about every club in the competition, Richmond is destined for a major reality check when it takes on juggernaut Geelong, at Telstra Dome tomorrow night, followed by games against the Crows in Adelaide and then third-placed Hawthorn.

But for the moment the 10th-placed Tigers and their frustrated fans can dare to dream, sitting as they are just a game behind fifth-placed North Melbourne with the same percentage.

With a name like Kelvin Moore, history says he should be a quality defender. Another Kelvin Moore played 300 games and in three premierships at full-back for Hawthorn during the '70s and early '80s. They are no relation and Richmond's Moore said his parents had been hopeful that Hawthorn's Moore would have faded sufficiently from the football psyche once their son began playing in the AFL. That hasn't been the case.

"I get it all the time," laughs Tiger Moore. "Everyone thinks he's my father. I've never actually met him."

Like the Kelvin Moore that came before him, almost every week is yet another big game on a big name, with opponents this year also including Essendon's Matthew Lloyd, Hawthorn's Lance Franklin, Fremantle's Matthew Pavlich and Carlton's Brendan Fevola.

This is a far cry from the Yarra Valley Grammar student who turned his back on Victoria's football factory by walking away from Eastern Rangers, part of the elite under-18 competition, to concentrate on his last year at school. Moore has battled the odds ever since but he persisted and Wallace kept the faith.

There are very few AFL footballers given the chance to establish themselves at 24.

"There were signs last year," said Wallace, who recalled Moore shutting down the Swans' robust and relentless Ryan O'Keefe twice in 2007.

Moore has relished the challenges, and credits King as the mentor who has given him the confidence and skills to take on the best each week. From the first time he met Moore, King believed there was an AFL footballer just waiting to burst forth.

"You can see the impressive physique that he's got. He has everything that the modern AFL footballer is," said King.

"It's a fantastic reward for a fantastic kid."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24109291-5012432,00.html

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Tiger Moore to the fore (RFC)
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 05:23:13 AM »
Tiger Moore to the fore
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg
Thu 31 July, 2008

As i said at the start of the season "He would make some posters on this forum eat their words before the season ends" :gotigers

Yep said it after the VFL finals last year, also was one of the first onto Kingy ....

Clever aint I  :shh :rollin

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 10:09:31 AM »
With Kel Moore, McGuane, Thursfield and (dare I say it) Schulz amking up the core of our backline with Newman, MacMahon, Tambling taking the mid/smalls and running it out - all of a sudden we have a good looking backline who are all still young.

Bodes well for the future

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 06:43:44 PM »
I'll admit I was one who thought he was gone at around round 20 last year. The signs weren't good for a injury-prone 23 year old playing VFL. A mate of mine who watches training always kept telling me Moore would come good and reminds me of it  ;D.

In hindsight Moore's body really only started to cope with the rigors of AFL midway through last year and his last 2 senior games and VFL final series saved him and renewed the faith for him to remain at Punt Rd. This year has been a huge breakout year and all credit to him. Kel was obviously a late developer at 23/24.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 12:58:23 PM »
I'll admit I was one who thought he was gone at around round 20 last year. The signs weren't good for a injury-prone 23 year old playing VFL. A mate of mine who watches training always kept telling me Moore would come good and reminds me of it  ;D.

In hindsight Moore's body really only started to cope with the rigors of AFL midway through last year and his last 2 senior games and VFL final series saved him and renewed the faith for him to remain at Punt Rd. This year has been a huge breakout year and all credit to him. Kel was obviously a late developer at 23/24.
Maybe this year you will put him into the popular player vote ;) ;D :rollin :thumbsup

Ox

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 01:05:47 PM »
I'm a big fan of KM.

Old school with a bit of new.

Great ability to use his fist as well as keep his head under pressure.

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 05:32:47 PM »
 :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kel Moore's shoulder injury
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »
Moore has a sub-luxer (sp?) injury in his right shoulder. He did it trying to spoil Jonathan Brown in the 2nd quarter. He tried to stay on and use his left arm to spoil in the next contest but had to go off. Brown then kicked a couple of goals while Moore was off and they got back into the game. Pete Larkins said Kel's been carrying it since last year and he didn't say anything about whether he'll play or miss next week (?).

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Kel Moore's shoulder injury
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 12:47:35 PM »
I saw him hurt it in the North game, and again last week in Sydney he was troubled by it at times.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Kel Moore's shoulder injury
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 02:03:50 PM »
Bugger, but if he has to miss any games it is not going to matter now.

Might as well focus on being 100% for next season.