Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 423541 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #1440 on: April 26, 2015, 08:43:26 PM »
FWIW I've spoken to Cotch at club functions and he has been a gentleman. Not sure what you are talking about Jack.

That's fine
Outside the yellow and black
Different

Agreed Doc.

Jack how would you know? Here-say or personal experience?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1441 on: April 26, 2015, 09:05:10 PM »
FWIW I've spoken to Cotch at club functions and he has been a gentleman. Not sure what you are talking about Jack.

That's fine
Outside the yellow and black
Different

Agreed Doc.

Jack how would you know? Here-say or personal experience?

Why bother asking, you will just get back bullpoo in response, we all know what his so called gospel
Is worth

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1442 on: April 26, 2015, 10:58:26 PM »
Vlad the Impaler, Ivan the Terrible, Ghengis Khan, Kubler Khan, Jack the Ripper, Dudley Do-Right, Peter Perfect, Ed Sheerin, Dolly Parton, Donny Osmond, Marie Osmond, Bruce MacAvaney, William Wallace, Ghandi, Paris Hilton, Caligula himself or even Kim Kardishan .... I just don't care anymore! 
The first one to hold up a premiership cup from the first row of the JD Stand with yellow & black ribbons hanging from it & present it to the hordes of screaming Richmond supporters is going to be my new hero!  Deal with it!     
:gotigers

(between you & me, I'm kinda hoping its Kim Kardishan ...    ;)  :o
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #1443 on: April 27, 2015, 07:42:03 AM »
At the moment .we have Humphrey B Bear as Club Captain
There lies a huge problem

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1444 on: April 27, 2015, 11:18:30 AM »
Are there dips in performance in 'elite/high end' players when their partner gives birth to a child? Purely speculative but maybe family life is number 1 priority (I think rightfully so but that's debatable amongst fans) and he's lost that competitive hunger that he had in 2011/2012?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1445 on: May 01, 2015, 10:01:20 PM »
League Teams: Richmond captain Trent Cotchin needs to inspire team like Geelong’s Joel Selwood

Adam Baldwin
    FOX SPORTS
    May 01, 2015 4:37PM

AFTER a performance described by Damien Hardwick as “insipid”, the focus is squarely on Richmond’s ability to rebound from its horror loss to the Demons.

The Tigers were thumped by a hungrier Melbourne side last week and showed little resistance to arrest the momentum.

Richmond has been criticised for lacking strong leadership in recent seasons and captain Trent Cotchin, emerging star Dustin Martin and Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt offered little when the game was on the line.

Cotchin said all the right things during the week, but when the ball is bounced on Saturday afternoon it‘ll be time for action.

If the skipper needs any guidance on how to inspire a football club to victory against the odds, he’ll find it standing in the centre square of the MCG.

Opposing captain Joel Selwood performed his latest act of brilliant leadership only two weeks ago when he gathered 23 contested possessions to drag the Cats to a come-from-behind victory over Gold Coast.

His coach described Selwood’s second half as “amazing”, while Mitch Duncan described his teammate as an “animal”.

All-Australian captain Brad Johnson says the Tigers need a Selwood-like performance from Cotchin in Round 5.

“He’s got to stand up,” Johnson said on Fox Footy’s League Teams.

Sydney premiership player Barry Hall agreed, but questioned whether Cotchin’s silky smooth game was capable.

“You can put the pressure on yourself as much as you like, but in terms of being a pure grunt captain like Selwood, he’s inspirational,” Hall said.

“Trent Cotchin in a great player, but is he going to crash and bash and get down and dirty?

“Will he ever do what Joel Selwood does? I don't think we will.”

Five time premiership player Dermott Brereton believes Selwood is a better player and captain, but insists Cotchin holds more talent.

“If I look at the two of them and they stand shoulder to shoulder, Selwood is a better player ... I reckon Cotchin has more talent. He can move better and he’s proven in the past he can go in and win his own ball,” Brereton said.

“So why doesn’t he play and captain like Selwood?”

Four time premiership coach David Parkin said it’s unfair to compare the two players given their physical differences.

“Selwood plays with a body like a battering ram and the other bloke is an athlete with agility,” Parkin said.

There’s little doubt Selwood is the greater player and midfielder, but if Cotchin can play like the man he’ll shake hands with before play on Saturday, the Tigers season will be back on track.

COTCHIN v SELWOOD

Games: 135 v 188

Best and fairests: 3 v 3

All Australian: 1 v 4

Premierships: 0 v 3

2015 avg. disposals: 28 v 28.8

Tackles: 2 v 6

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/league-teams-richmond-captain-trent-cotchin-needs-to-inspire-team-like-geelongs-joel-selwood/story-e6frf3e3-1227330432112

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1446 on: May 02, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »
League Teams: Richmond captain Trent Cotchin needs to inspire team like Geelong’s Joel Selwood

Adam Baldwin
    FOX SPORTS
    May 01, 2015 4:37PM

AFTER a performance described by Damien Hardwick as “insipid”, the focus is squarely on Richmond’s ability to rebound from its horror loss to the Demons.

The Tigers were thumped by a hungrier Melbourne side last week and showed little resistance to arrest the momentum.

Richmond has been criticised for lacking strong leadership in recent seasons and captain Trent Cotchin, emerging star Dustin Martin and Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt offered little when the game was on the line.

Cotchin said all the right things during the week, but when the ball is bounced on Saturday afternoon it‘ll be time for action.

If the skipper needs any guidance on how to inspire a football club to victory against the odds, he’ll find it standing in the centre square of the MCG.

Opposing captain Joel Selwood performed his latest act of brilliant leadership only two weeks ago when he gathered 23 contested possessions to drag the Cats to a come-from-behind victory over Gold Coast.

His coach described Selwood’s second half as “amazing”, while Mitch Duncan described his teammate as an “animal”.

All-Australian captain Brad Johnson says the Tigers need a Selwood-like performance from Cotchin in Round 5.

“He’s got to stand up,” Johnson said on Fox Footy’s League Teams.

Sydney premiership player Barry Hall agreed, but questioned whether Cotchin’s silky smooth game was capable.

“You can put the pressure on yourself as much as you like, but in terms of being a pure grunt captain like Selwood, he’s inspirational,” Hall said.

“Trent Cotchin in a great player, but is he going to crash and bash and get down and dirty?

“Will he ever do what Joel Selwood does? I don't think we will.”

Five time premiership player Dermott Brereton believes Selwood is a better player and captain, but insists Cotchin holds more talent.

“If I look at the two of them and they stand shoulder to shoulder, Selwood is a better player ... I reckon Cotchin has more talent. He can move better and he’s proven in the past he can go in and win his own ball,” Brereton said.

“So why doesn’t he play and captain like Selwood?”

Four time premiership coach David Parkin said it’s unfair to compare the two players given their physical differences.

“Selwood plays with a body like a battering ram and the other bloke is an athlete with agility,” Parkin said.

There’s little doubt Selwood is the greater player and midfielder, but if Cotchin can play like the man he’ll shake hands with before play on Saturday, the Tigers season will be back on track.

COTCHIN v SELWOOD

Games: 135 v 188

Best and fairests: 3 v 3

All Australian: 1 v 4

Premierships: 0 v 3

2015 avg. disposals: 28 v 28.8

Tackles: 2 v 6

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/league-teams-richmond-captain-trent-cotchin-needs-to-inspire-team-like-geelongs-joel-selwood/story-e6frf3e3-1227330432112
I love Cotch and I'll defend him for as long as I can talk but for me the last stat is the big one for me. For a player of his talent, competivenes and pride, he needs to have more than two tackles a game. He should lead the way here, that is the leadership I would like to see from him. A couple of less 'give and gets' and a couple more tackles will inspire his teammates. We are and have been for a really long time a team that refuses to crack in in this department.

I must admit I do blame Dimma for this as well, his tactic of corelling an opponent with the footy instead of full on aggression at the man with the footy leads to players being lazy and content to just hang off their man. They do this tokin push of the player who just got rid of the footy instead of turning around and chasing the next bloke. I see it every week and it's by far the most frustrating thing the RFC do IMO. The good sides are manic in the way they pressure sides with the footy, and create turnovers more often than not.

You don't have to be the most skillful side in the comp to run, chase and tackle and I think that is the minimum we as tiger supporters should expect week in week out.  But with players like Grigg, Houli, Ellis and Griffiths who would rather pretend to want to tackle than actually tackle then it makes it had to create that 'all ground pressure' that is needed to be a decent side. Those guys do some good things too but if they don't want to get involved in the most important part of the game then do it somewhere else.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #1447 on: May 02, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »
I love Cotch and I'll defend him for as long as I can talk but for me the last stat is the big one for me. For a player of his talent, competivenes and pride, he needs to have more than two tackles a game. He should lead the way here, that is the leadership I would like to see from him. A couple of less 'give and gets' and a couple more tackles will inspire his teammates. We are and have been for a really long time a team that refuses to crack in in this department.

I must admit I do blame Dimma for this as well, his tactic of corelling an opponent with the footy instead of full on aggression at the man with the footy leads to players being lazy and content to just hang off their man. They do this tokin push of the player who just got rid of the footy instead of turning around and chasing the next bloke. I see it every week and it's by far the most frustrating thing the RFC do IMO. The good sides are manic in the way they pressure sides with the footy, and create turnovers more often than not.

You don't have to be the most skillful side in the comp to run, chase and tackle and I think that is the minimum we as tiger supporters should expect week in week out.  But with players like Grigg, Houli, Ellis and Griffiths who would rather pretend to want to tackle than actually tackle then it makes it had to create that 'all ground pressure' that is needed to be a decent side. Those guys do some good things too but if they don't want to get involved in the most important part of the game then do it somewhere else.
Excellent post BT.  :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1448 on: May 02, 2015, 12:41:07 PM »
if i have the ball i much prefer the opponents in front to run at me, the more they commit the better, and i dont have that great of a sidestep.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1449 on: May 02, 2015, 04:07:58 PM »
Been one of our best today. Some people need to watch the game
Go Tigers!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #1450 on: May 02, 2015, 04:14:46 PM »
Miss the set shot. Captains point.

Needs to kick that.

Was good but could have been better and had more impact.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1451 on: May 02, 2015, 04:15:33 PM »
Probably best player on the paddock

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1452 on: May 03, 2015, 01:05:13 PM »
After watching live and then again on replay, Cotchin played a great game.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1453 on: May 03, 2015, 01:12:06 PM »
After watching live and then again on replay, Cotchin played a great game.

He was very good but as Don mentioned - must nail getable goals. Shows his poise under pressure is still suspect, maybe due to a lack of confudence
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1454 on: May 03, 2015, 04:42:35 PM »
bad , bad miss and not the first time. Captains need to set the example, and getting those goals inspire, while missing them deflate.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI