Author Topic: Wallace  (Read 21889 times)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Wallace
« on: August 02, 2004, 04:02:49 PM »
Just heard a rumour that Jason Dunstall is going hard after Wallace. Is this the start of a bidding war?
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wallace
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 04:44:07 PM »
Hawthorn are dream chasing at the moment. First Judd then Pagan. Surely a prospective coach wants to deal with an organisation that lives in the real world. I think the Hawks are now realising that there's a strong possibility with Wallace in the box seat for the Richmond job and Eade possibly going to the Pies that they will be left with having to pick a rookie coach.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 04:47:33 PM »
When you think about it we should get the best coach out there. As David Parkin said we have been in the market the longest - we were ahead of the pack.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 06:54:11 PM »
You will find that Terry is marshalling""His troops "" together before he signs anything ;)

Ox

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 07:03:26 PM »
I herad from a reliable souce that Carey will be assistant. :scream

Any thruth to this Jackstar Oh wise one.

Jackstar

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 07:19:00 PM »
You will find the Terry and Wayne speak regularly due to there mutual employee Fox Footy.
Terry has spoken to his past assistants in regards to there commitments next year.
Terry will bring hïs ""own team"" with a clean sweep of present staff at RFC.
I would only be guessing if Carey has been spoken too about coaching etc. ;)

Offline mellowyellow

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 07:45:33 PM »
Just heard a rumour that Jason Dunstall is going hard after Wallace. Is this the start of a bidding war?

Another rumor is that we've offered him '2.5 million over 5 years'.

Jackstar

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 07:54:30 PM »
The big postive when Wallace does sign will be the increase in memberships for next year. etc
The $2.5m if thats right will take care of itself

Bulluss

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 08:18:20 PM »
With Eade being told that he was not successful in getting the job, Wallace has to be signed sealed and delivered.

Miller isnt stupid and wouldnt burn his bridges with Rocket unless he knew Terry was a dead cert.

I would like to see Terry bring a former tiger star or favorite son in on his assistant panel.

This will be a very exciting time for our club once he signs on the dotted line.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 09:15:37 PM »
SEN replayed parts of Wallace's interview on fox footy tonight. Most of it was a repeat of what he said earlier today. Terry said the first he heard of it was on the radio so he went and bought the paper. Met Bryan Wood for the first time today. Has had one more interview with us than Hawthorn but is expected to catch up with the Hawks on Thursday. Guaranteed a decision wouldn't be made in the next few days.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 10:12:59 PM »
Another rumor is that we've offered him '2.5 million over 5 years'.

Don't know about the $$$ but Greg Miller said this morning on the wireless and on the TV news this evening we are looking at a long term appointment 4 years.

Jackstar is right about the membership numbers - they'll help pay for the contract

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 02:20:50 AM »
Hawks still in hunt for Wallace
03 August 2004   
Herald Sun
Mike Sheahan

HAWTHORN is gearing up for a final tilt at Terry Wallace as the battle for his services nears a climax.

Wallace has accepted an invitation to make a full presentation to the Hawks on Thursday, rebutting a report in The Australian yesterday declaring him the next Richmond coach.

"Absolutely nothing's formalised; there's no agreement at all," Wallace told the Herald Sun last night.

"I've got no idea what I'm going to do," he told a caller later on 3AW's Sports Today.

"I was very surprised (by the story). There's been conversations with three clubs (Richmond, Hawthorn and Adelaide); there's probably been a broader conversation with the two Melbourne-based clubs, but there's been no terms or conditions even spoken about at this stage.

"I had a meeting earlier today with Greg Miller and Bryan Wood (members of Richmond's coaching sub-committee), and I hope to be meeting again with Hawthorn later this week."

Wallace, in fact, will front the full board. In a declaration that will encourage his admirers at Hawthorn, he said he had no intention of wasting anyone's time.

Hawthorn's acting chief executive Jason Dunstall said: "Terry's made absolutely no decision; he's in no way committed."

Dunstall said the Wallace presentation would be open to all directors. "I would hope everyone would be there."

Wallace said: "I've had more dealings with Richmond, so I'm probably one meeting ahead, as such, with them. I need to have one more meeting with Hawthorn just to have a full and comprehensive understanding of exactly where they're at. I would say that would put me in a much firmer position to be making a decision."

Despite Adelaide's interest, it is a two-way choice, with Wallace expecting to make his decision early next week.

"I'm not going to play one off against the other. I'll make up my mind which is the right option, then my management would speak privately to that team to see whether terms and conditions can be met."

Wallace, who has spent the past two seasons in the media after seven seasons coaching the Western Bulldogs, can expect an offer for at least three years and probably four.

Richmond's Miller yesterday implied a four-year deal was available at Punt Rd, but Hawthorn also has Wallace as its preferred target and can be expected to construct a similar package.

Any four-year deal would be worth $2.2 million to $2.5 million.

"It's not a money decision," he said. "Of course you want to be recompensed what you need to be recompensed in these things, but it won't be a money decision. I'd rather have all the information lined up and then make a decision straight on an information base, `that's the club I'd like to go to for these reasons'. Then the management (ESP's Craig Kelly) would step in."

He rates the Hawthorn player list slightly better in the short-term, with Richmond more promising in the longer-term. Asked if he wanted the teams to win games and possibly lose priority choices, he said: "I think it's important for the spirit of both football clubs to be competitive."

Wallace was a premiership centreman at Hawthorn. He also played for Richmond before moving to the Western Bulldogs as a player and then a coach.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10325932%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 02:23:12 AM »
Hawks, Tigers both want Wallace
By Stephen Rielly, Jake Niall
realfooty.theage.com.au
August 3, 2004

Terry Wallace will meet the full Hawthorn board later this week, only days after being confirmed as Richmond's preferred coach for the next four years.

Wallace has beaten Rodney Eade for the first call on the senior positions at both clubs, which has effectively placed the former Western Bulldog coach at the centre of a tussle that seems certain to win him the terms and length of contract he is seeking.

It is understood that Wallace has outlined in his negotiations that he wants a four-year contract and a high degree of authority over whichever football department he chooses.

Eade cancelled his second presentation for the Tigers yesterday after Richmond football director Greg Miller told him that Wallace was his first choice. Miller and the Tiger board will meet tonight although Miller claimed yesterday that the coaching position was not an item on the meeting's agenda.

It is unclear whether Eade would still pursue the Richmond job in the event that Wallace chooses Hawthorn. The Tigers have no other serious candidates in mind, at this stage, besides the former Hawthorn teammates.

It is certain, though, that the Tigers will address the competition from Hawthorn.

"I believe Terry has got options and so have we. Terry is speaking to Hawthorn and he spoke to Adelaide last week," said Miller, who was adamant that no agreement had been struck as yet.

Hawthorn acting chief executive Jason Dunstall confirmed that Wallace would meet the entire board and not simply the five-man coaching subcommittee. Wallace will be the first candidate to do so.

Dunstall also confirmed that Eade and former Geelong and Adelaide coach Gary Ayres had been contacted, although plans to interview Eade have not yet been made.

Wallace contacted Hawthorn yesterday to assure the club that he was in no way committed to Richmond but has virtually dismissed his chances of securing the Adelaide position for which Neil Craig remains favourite.

While Wallace has spoken to the Crows, he said his situation "probably gets down to 50 per cent" - a reference to the fact that he was now in the running at two clubs, not three.

Eade will make his second presentation to the Crows next week but is warming to Collingwood's offer of an innovative position alongside senior coach Michael Malthouse. In the unlikely event that the Adelaide position does not go to Craig it would then go to Eade.

Dunstall expressed confidence that Wallace was still attainable. "He wouldn't be going through the process if it was a done deal," Dunstall said.

"I would think that any time we want to go to the interview stage . . every member of the board is entitled to be part of the interview process."

Wallace last night suggested there would not be an announcement about his coaching future until next week. Dunstall said the Hawks wished to install a new coach "sooner rather than later".

In denying he was committed to Richmond, Wallace said on 3AW: "There won't be an announcement this week."

Wallace also compared the playing lists of his respective suitors, suggesting that while Hawthorn represented the better chance for a swift turnaround, via mature players, Richmond was more advanced in the development of its young players. "I think Richmond is 18 months ahead with their kids," he said.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/08/02/1091432110901.html?oneclick=true

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 02:30:32 AM »
Wallace also compared the playing lists of his respective suitors, suggesting that while Hawthorn represented the better chance for a swift turnaround, via mature players, Richmond was more advanced in the development of its young players. "I think Richmond is 18 months ahead with their kids," he said.

IMO if Wallace chooses Hawthorn over us based on the above assessment then IMO we should be thankful he didn't take the job. On the other hand, if he chooses us over the Hawks then it's good to hear he understands where we are at and that we will need time to rebuild via youth. In that case he is the right man for the job.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 08:04:43 AM »

18 months ahead with the kids  :o. From a members point of view this is great to hear. When the media in particular talk about the kids and young teams they concentrate on the Saints, Cats and Kangaroos - we rarely get a mention - for a perspective coach to make a comment like that - has to give us a bit more hope forthe future. There was an article on the RFC site where Frawley said that out of the 3 jobs going we should be the most appealing because we had the best list of young players - Terry Wallace has endorsed that.

Add the kids we are likely to get this year and the future is looking better - it will take time but it will get better.

I agree with MT - if Terry Wallace chooses the Tigers then he wants to be part of the re-build like the rest of us.

Come on Terry - the Tigers are for you  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 08:08:01 AM by WilliamPowell »