Author Topic: Wallace  (Read 24357 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Wallace looks for stability
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2004, 07:45:09 AM »
3% is a "significant reduction" but as we've said before it isn't slash and burn stuff. We will reducing our TPP, where player contracts allow, to a more realistic level in line with where our list is at. Given there are now strong signals that we will be indeed drafting for youth then paying 97% of the salary cap shouldn't be a hinderance to our new coach.

3% of $6.2 million is $186,000 not a massive sum in the overall scheme of things.

Richo is eligble for the veterans list so there's half of his salary freed up. The retirements of Kellaway and Rogers would have to equate to around $250-300k of the salary cap. Add to that the likely de-listings and possible trades and there is fair bit of cash spare. And when you have a list of manily first & 2nd years kids you shouldn't being paying 100% of the salary cap
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wallace
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2004, 05:10:12 PM »
Easy to achieve when your list will be 2-3 players short next year. ;)
Also with one or two big names traded.

I'm happy with one or two big names being traded if they're easily replaceable (i.e. flankers or outside midfielders) but I hope we don't go more than one player short of our list. We tried that a couple of years back and it backfired when we copped heaps of injuries. I especially hope we make as much use of our rookie list as possible. With Moore and Dragga promoted off it to the senior list and Foley doing not to badly at Coburg, it shows the advantages a Club can obtain using the rookie list to trial players.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2004, 05:22:56 PM »
The Richmond board, which convened last night without its key decision-maker and director of football Greg Miller

Hmmm...Interesting!

I think they're meeting again tonight.  Any one know for sure?
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2004, 01:40:47 AM »
The Richmond board, which convened last night without its key decision-maker and director of football Greg Miller

Hmmm...Interesting!

I think they're meeting again tonight.  Any one know for sure?

I heard they were meeting yesterday too TS but can't confirm.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Wallace needs room to grow
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2004, 01:42:38 AM »
Wallace needs room to grow
04 August 2004   
Herald Sun
Mike Sheahan

WHEN Hawthorn and Richmond met in Round 6, they finished one point apart, the Tigers hanging on under fierce pressure.

In 2003, they enjoyed a win each, Richmond by 20 points early in the season, the Hawks by four in the final round.

Suffice to say, they aren't far apart in terms of talent, as their current positions, 15th (Richmond) and 16th, suggest.

Terry Wallace won't be deciding which coaching offer to accept solely on the strength of the player lists.

Nor should he. Neither list promises an immediate surge up the ladder. While Hawthorn may be more seasoned, Richmond seems more promising.

Yet, what Wallace requires most is political stability and the scope to restructure and run a football department his way.

He will have at least three years and probably four to rebuild whichever club that wins his commitment. Time to do it properly.

Provided he is guaranteed the proverbial blank piece of paper to plot the future. To bring in who he wants in the football department, to trade up as he sees fit, to decide the most appropriate use of early draft choices later this year.

Richmond has made the running for Wallace in recent weeks, yet Hawthorn can trump the Tigers at tomorrow's pivotal meeting with him.

The Hawks will be represented by the entire board of directors, conscious they have ground to retrieve.

They have room to move, and they realise they must be accommodating.

What if Wallace wants to recall his former football operations manager at the Western Bulldogs, Paul Armstrong? Or one of his assistants back then, Phil Maylin or David Noble? They must be flexible. Yet both clubs have experienced heads of football in John Hook (Hawthorn) and Greg Hutchison, and both have assistants with contracts taking in next season.

It will be delicate, but Wallace has the whip.

The Hawks have Richmond covered financially, as does any club that can manage to balance its books.

Hawthorn, though, has Dermott Brereton, and no football director has a higher, broader profile -- or more visible presence -- than Brereton, which might unsettle a prospective coach with a choice.

While new chief executive Jason Dunstall is believed to be keen on Wallace, Brereton is a strong admirer of Gary Ayres.

The two coaching prospects (three if you include Rodney Eade) and the two key officials all played in premiership teams together.

It is a complicated issue, one that will lead to a decision that will impact on many people. At two clubs.

If it comes down to playing strength, it simply has to be gut feel.

As the record says, there's nothing between them.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10339748%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wallace needs room to grow
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2004, 01:58:40 AM »
  Yet both clubs have experienced heads of football in John Hook (Hawthorn) and Greg Hutchison, and both have assistants with contracts taking in next season.

Che  ???. Might want to check that up again with the RFC Mike.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Wallace wary of Hawthorn challenge
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2004, 02:02:06 AM »
Wallace wary of challenge
realfooty.theage.com.au
August 5, 2004

Coach-in-waiting Terry Wallace admits the prospect of a board overthrow at Hawthorn could end his chances of coaching his old club.

Wallace will meet the Hawthorn board tonight, when the Hawks were expected to offer the former triple-premiership hero the senior coaching job.

But Wallace will also be asking questions, and chief among his concerns is board stability.

A ticket led by former premiership captain Don Scott was thought to be preparing to challenge the incumbent board, and reportedly was not keen on the prospect of Wallace as coach.

"A Don Scott-led board could be a problem for me," Wallace told his current employer Fox Footy yesterday.

"I need to know where the current board stands, where Don stands and where I stand with Don and all those things will become clearer after tomorrow."

Hawthorn was competing directly for Wallace's services with Richmond, which was understood to have offered a four-year deal that would give the ex-Western Bulldogs coach a strong hand in shaping the football department.

While the Tigers board was also facing a challenge from a rebel ticket, Wallace had been assured by one of the rebels - former Tiger premiership player Bryan Wood - that he had their support.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/08/04/1091557925173.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Wallace needs room to grow
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2004, 07:52:22 AM »
The Hawks have Richmond covered financially, as does any club that can manage to balance its books.

I would debate this one too - Mike. The Hawks financial kick back from leaving Waverley ends this year (this is the deal where the AFL has been compensating then from moving from Waverley). This is one of the areas Don Scott has been concerned about - the arguement being if they hadn't been receiveing the AFL "compensation" then their financial results would be alot worse that what the appear.

As for the comment about contracted assistants - you idiot! It has been well documented and Greg Miller has said a number of times that all of the contracts our assistants end this year. Opps sorry that doesn't make good copy does it :banghead

"A Don Scott-led board could be a problem for me," Wallace told his current employer Fox Footy yesterday.

I have to say it certainly isn't a problem for me - Vote 1 Don Scott  :thumbsup :rollin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 07:54:43 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2004, 10:19:11 AM »
As for the comment about contracted assistants - you idiot! It has been well documented and Greg Miller has said a number of times that all of the contracts our assistants end this year.

Not sure where Sheahan gets his info., because I’ve heard Greg Miller say the same thing WP; that all contracts finish at the end of this season.

Terry Wallace was on WLF last night and said that he was pretty clear about things at Richmond and what his role as coach will be.  His dealings have mainly been through Greg Miller.

The situation at Hawthorn isn’t as clear cut and it sounds as though it could take some work to convince Wallace of how things would operate, were he to take them on.  The roles of Brereton and Dunstall, plus the Don Scott-led challenge are concerns.

Even though we may appear a rabble at times, by getting in early, it seems that the sub-committee/Club has done their homework and made RFC seem a viable option for prospective coaches.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2004, 02:22:51 PM »
Has anyone got any information on the Meeting this morning with Wallace and the Hawks apparently it started at 7.30am and finished 4 hours latter.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2004, 03:06:24 PM »
Has anyone got any information on the Meeting this morning with Wallace and the Hawks apparently it started at 7.30am and finished 4 hours latter.

---------------------------

No job offers yet, says Wallace
www.abc.net.au
5th August 2004

Former Western Bulldogs coach Terry Wallace says he has not yet been offered the senior coaching position at either Hawthorn or Richmond.

Wallace met with Hawks officials for almost four hours this morning, to discuss the role that was made vacant after Peter Schwab was sacked last month.

He said he spoken with Richmond in recent weeks but was yet to make a decision on his future.

"I haven't got a decision to make yet, because I haven't been offered the position," he said.

"But certainly, I'm just looking at my future and looking at all aspects of it, looking at the two clubs."

However, Wallace said this morning's meeting with the Hawks had been productive.

"There was a lot to speak about,' he said. "I've said all the way along, that I've had a lot of discussions with Richmond, obviously they've been in the process a little bit longer and I had learnt more about where they sat.

"I just needed to find out that sort of information about the Hawks."

Wallace said he was expecting to have more talks with Hawthorn tomorrow.

"There'll be ongoing discussions," he said. "I wouldn't have thought it would be any more than 24 hours before the next discussion would be held," he said.

Wallace has already ruled himself out of the running for the Adelaide Crows senior coaching position

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200408/s1169570.htm

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2004, 03:36:15 PM »
We haven't made an offer yet, does anybody else think this is a bit strange?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2004, 03:39:38 PM »
It is all about that strange thing called the PROCESS  :-\

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2004, 03:41:42 PM »
LMFAO :thumbsup

Well put

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2004, 03:44:09 PM »
We haven't made an offer yet, does anybody else think this is a bit strange?

Maybe it's the case of we've made a verbal offer (i.e. we want you Terry and we're willing to give you a 4 year deal) but made no formal offer - papers, contracts, finer details, etc.. That way everyone can say there's been no "official" offer.