Author Topic: Neil Balme  (Read 36224 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Impressions of Neil Balme's influence
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2016, 03:06:19 PM »
I think the fact that he has been there for nearly 4 weeks and we still haven't won a flag speaks for itself.
:lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2016, 03:31:50 PM »
Some of you guys have absolutely zero patience. Also, last time I looked, he was the GM of Football. He is not the list manger or head of recruiting. He doesn't decide the trade decisions or the draft picks. He has literally just walked in the door too.

Some of the rubbish posted here is just ridiculous. Give the guy a break. Give him time too shape the club. It won't happen overnight. Anyone that knows anything about running organisations that have employees contracted will know that you can't do much until those responsible for bad decisions have had their contract run its race and then they will be shown the door.

:clapping

If your clapping that post then your clapping all the decisions on Balmes watch.

Im clapping because the post makes sense. A thoughtful balanced post

The blokes been there just on a month. No one no matter who they are are going to make sweeping changes in a month.

But in the eyes of some here based on some need that a single individual is some sort of messiah them he shoud have delivered us everythong bar a premiership.

No i just expect

1) Given he is so well revered that the rot from those who report to him would stop. Which it hasnt evidently.

2) As a superior of those making decisions, he has some form of proactive involvement (e.g.checks and balances at minimum), rather than reactive after the fact.

The rot? Outside of the re -signing of Maric that most seem to disagree with, what rot exactly? The current non re-signing of Conca that has everyone in a state? The appointment of Caracella & Leppa? What other decision have there been since hes been there?

Do you think he's spent the last 3 years at c'wood assessing the RFC list?

As i said hes been there 4 weeks, like it or not there are other things he would have been doing in the last 4 weeks. You know things like appointing assistant coaches and getting na understadnong of what needs urgent fixing and what is going to take time (at least 6-12 momths)

Trade week hasn't start yet, it starts tomorrow and apart from alot of rumour & innuendo by the media nothing has happened

Seems to me people thought or more to the point hoped he was going to walk in the door and sack the majority of the footy department. That was never going to hapen, and again like it or nor could it 6 weeks out from FA, trade and the the draft
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2016, 03:59:03 PM »
Some of you guys have absolutely zero patience. Also, last time I looked, he was the GM of Football. He is not the list manger or head of recruiting. He doesn't decide the trade decisions or the draft picks. He has literally just walked in the door too.

Some of the rubbish posted here is just ridiculous. Give the guy a break. Give him time too shape the club. It won't happen overnight. Anyone that knows anything about running organisations that have employees contracted will know that you can't do much until those responsible for bad decisions have had their contract run its race and then they will be shown the door.

If your clapping that post then your clapping all the decisions on Balmes watch.
The point is that the decisions of the recruiters and list mangers are not Balme's decisions. He is not going to override them. What's the purpose of employing them if he is going to have the final say? May as well save literally millions of dollars and ditch the list manager and all our recruiting staff and just have Balme. That's what you are saying because he is responsible for all those decisions. Clearly that is not the case.

His role will be to assess the performance of those guys in the up coming period and make a judgement on whether they can continue once their contract is up. 

Bloody obvious if you ask me.

I think it's fair to say that he needs the time to assess before jumping in BUT he could make a couple of strong decisions early to set the tone around the club.
Keeping all of Dan Richardson Francis Jackson (in any capacity), Blair Hartley (one I'd bite the bullet and pay out) are calls he can make. And he could fire one of them now (Blair I'm looking at you) and announce he will be rolling up his sleeves and get involved in our list strategy. Surely he has some best practise to share with that team.
No coach can fix a crap list, no list can paper over an incompetent strategy and no GM of any quality could miss the fatal errors if our List Manager without acting on it - it's going to come back and haunt him if he's not careful.
That'd be a good start.
IIRC those guys were given new contracts (or were still contracted) before he became GM. He cannot just fire them without having a huge payout on their contracts. Once their contracts lapse he will be able to exert his influence.

Hartley has 12 months to go, what do you reckon the opp cost of keeping him and losing members through his continued flawed and arrogant list strategy?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2016, 04:14:19 PM »

The point is that the decisions of the recruiters and list mangers are not Balme's decisions. He is not going to override them. What's the purpose of employing them if he is going to have the final say? May as well save literally millions of dollars and ditch the list manager and all our recruiting staff and just have Balme. That's what you are saying because he is responsible for all those decisions. Clearly that is not the case.

His role will be to assess the performance of those guys in the up coming period and make a judgement on whether they can continue once their contract is up. 

Bloody obvious if you ask me.

I think it's fair to say that he needs the time to assess before jumping in BUT he could make a couple of strong decisions early to set the tone around the club.
Keeping all of Dan Richardson Francis Jackson (in any capacity), Blair Hartley (one I'd bite the bullet and pay out) are calls he can make. And he could fire one of them now (Blair I'm looking at you) and announce he will be rolling up his sleeves and get involved in our list strategy. Surely he has some best practise to share with that team.
No coach can fix a crap list, no list can paper over an incompetent strategy and no GM of any quality could miss the fatal errors if our List Manager without acting on it - it's going to come back and haunt him if he's not careful.
That'd be a good start.
IIRC those guys were given new contracts (or were still contracted) before he became GM. He cannot just fire them without having a huge payout on their contracts. Once their contracts lapse he will be able to exert his influence.

Hartley has 12 months to go, what do you reckon the opp cost of keeping him and losing members through his continued flawed and arrogant list strategy?
If you think the majority of our members are aware of how poor Blair is you are mistaken. Only keen internet bloggers would be and they would be a distant minority.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2016, 05:00:05 PM »
I reckon most people look at the output, not always the inputs. Key output is the W/L and ladder. What we do right now in recruiting and list management should impact wins and losses in a couple of seasons, the right coach at the end of 2017 can have an immediate impact.
If we fumble around without a proper plan for managing player talent, we will be screwed for years to come.
I'd have thought pulling the trigger on Hartley now would be the right call for so many reasons and we must never again contract out that type of position again.
Surely the cost of flicking Hartley now is lower than the cost of keeping him?
Fair?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2016, 05:48:34 PM »
I reckon most people look at the output, not always the inputs. Key output is the W/L and ladder. What we do right now in recruiting and list management should impact wins and losses in a couple of seasons, the right coach at the end of 2017 can have an immediate impact.
If we fumble around without a proper plan for managing player talent, we will be screwed for years to come.
I'd have thought pulling the trigger on Hartley now would be the right call for so many reasons and we must never again contract out that type of position again.
Fair?
I would agree but I have been following the Richmond saga consistently for decades. Balme was at Geelong for years and then Collingwood. I would not think he has been studying the RFC situation in depth till 4 weeks ago. A little difficult to make huge decisions like paying out contracts with so little personal experience. Give him the year and I would think that major changes with regards to list management will occur. Just my ESHO.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2016, 07:23:51 PM »
Fair?
I would agree but I have been following the Richmond saga consistently for decades. Balme was at Geelong for years and then Collingwood. I would not think he has been studying the RFC situation in depth till 4 weeks ago. A little difficult to make huge decisions like paying out contracts with so little personal experience. Give him the year and I would think that major changes with regards to list management will occur. Just my ESHO.

Agree
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2016, 07:44:21 PM »
Another year of dozens of list plodding duds

Might be non salvageable by then
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2016, 07:45:23 PM »

Everything is salvageable. It's just how long you are willing to wait!

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2016, 08:06:33 PM »

Another 36 years? Not me.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2016, 08:11:33 PM »

I'm older than you Dooks. It's even more important that we get this right quickly. Somehow I can't see it happening soon. We need to wait for Blair and Hardwick to leave and to revamp our recruiting department. We then will need to trade several of our good players for good draft picks and have another go. It's the only way I can see us ever giving the premiership a proper shake. The rest are just band aid solutions unfortunately.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2016, 08:15:59 PM »

I'm older than you Dooks. It's even more important that we get this right quickly. Somehow I can't see it happening soon. We need to wait for Blair and Hardwick to leave and to revamp our recruiting department. We then will need to trade several of our good players for good draft picks and have another go. It's the only way I can see us ever giving the premiership a proper shake. The rest are just band aid solutions unfortunately.

Well, 2 years in the scheme of a lifetime (esp in the second half of ones life) is a long time.

Too bad they will be drawing an income and well just be wasting good years away.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2016, 08:19:49 PM »

Well, 2 years in the scheme of a lifetime (esp in the second half of ones life) is a long time.

Too bad they will be drawing an income and well just be wasting good years away.
Can't argue with that. I just can't see another way to get there quickly and with a good foundation to be up there for a while.... :banghead

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2016, 09:53:42 PM »
Looking forward to how bad the club is destined to go in 2017.

Yet if you're a member you're still classified as a supporter. Good to know :clapping

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2016, 10:14:19 PM »
Fair?

I would say it's obvious. I'd add if Benny had any kind of backbone, he'd do it and punt Dan Richardson while he's at it.
They say you accept the standards you walk past, nothing truer at the moment at Richmond. We shouldn't enable it.