Author Topic: Neil Balme  (Read 36213 times)

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Neil Balme leaving
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2021, 12:54:40 PM »
Hartley and Livingstone will be ok. I wish Balmey the best hes given us a great last 5 years.

This- he is comfortable in the knowledge that these guys are well trained to take over :clapping

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2021, 01:28:42 PM »
Hartley and Livingstone will be ok. I wish Balmey the best hes given us a great last 5 years.

Agree. Thanks Balme  :clapping

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2021, 02:07:57 PM »
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Man this sucks. At least teaching the crows our club song won’t take too much work

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2021, 02:45:33 PM »
His from SA , I think he wanted to retire there.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2021, 02:59:49 PM »
Disappointing and sad , a man who gave us  common sense and intelligent planning. I am not convinced those who replaced Him have the same abilities, I hope I am wrong.
Thanks Balmey for being part of one the best periods in Richmond’s history

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2021, 03:49:53 PM »
His from SA , I think he wanted to retire there.

From WA originally... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2021, 04:08:49 PM »
Balmey coached Norwood back in a day so he's familiar with SA.

It was rumoured a few months ago Adelaide were chasing him. Sad to see Balmey go just because of what he has done again for the Club and his calming influence.

Interesting to see now what we do with the soft cap money and who we bring in.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2021, 04:58:23 PM »
Not confirmed it seems.

Adelaide sound out Neil Balme for football department role

Peter Ryan
The Age
August 28, 2021 — 1.59pm

Adelaide have had informal discussions with highly respected football manager Neil Balme about taking on a role supporting the club’s football department as the Crows continue to implement a full-scale rebuild of their list.

The talks with Balme have been part of the club’s desire to bolster the number of experienced voices around the football department which is led by the relatively inexperienced football manager Adam Kelly and coach Matthew Nicks.

However Balme, who is contracted at Richmond where he is a revered figure, has not been made the Crows head of football with premature reports that the 69-year-old had been appointed to the position. If he was to play a role at the Crows it would be in a more advisory role supporting Kelly who would remain in his position.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/adelaide-sound-out-neil-balme-for-football-department-role-20210828-p58mpn.html

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2021, 05:22:49 PM »
Hearing him on talking tigers didn't seem like he was leaving maybe all talk media useless.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2021, 05:39:52 PM »
He is going to the Crows :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2021, 06:09:25 PM »
Key Tigers figure Neil Balme set to become Crows football boss

Ben Cotton
Fox Sports
August 28th, 2021 1:43 pm

Richmond senior club advisor Neil Balme is set to join the Adelaide Crows as their new football boss for 2022.

Foxfooty.com.au has confirmed the Crows have successfully convinced Balme to head back to South Australia.

It’s unclear what the appointment means for current footy boss Adam Kelly.

Balme will depart the Tigers after five years at the club, playing a key part in their recent success including three premierships in 2017, 2019 and 2020.

A year on from the Crows’ failed poaching of Balme, he will now officially make the move to the South Australian club.

Balme told SEN radio last October that he seriously considered returning to South Australia but an “unusual medical condition” prompted him to stay at Punt Road.

The key footy figure coached Norwood to two premierships over 11 seasons in the 1990s.

He has also worked at Geelong and Collingwood in instrumental roles to their recent successes.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/adelaide-crows/afl-news-2021-neil-balme-to-adelaide-crows-departs-richmond-details-official-announcement/news-story/0b7cb5fd7c9eb6cb1845c1d17b6da123

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2021, 06:40:02 PM »
I suspect our soft cap is a problem, with some may have been given pay rises as rewards for success ,it is important to use any available money wisely in areas of greatest need.
It alway felt like we would prevail while Balmey was giving advice to coaching / recruiting group

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2021, 06:52:41 PM »
I suspect our soft cap is a problem, with some may have been given pay rises as rewards for success ,it is important to use any available money wisely in areas of greatest need.
It alway felt like we would prevail while Balmey was giving advice to coaching / recruiting group

My understanding is With his move the senior advisor role Balmey wasn't part of the footy department, so his wage was not part of the soft cap this season
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2021, 06:59:00 PM »
Makes you wonder why he wasn’t part of the football Dept

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #224 on: August 28, 2021, 08:09:23 PM »
Makes you wonder why he wasn’t part of the football Dept

Because he has handed over to Blair and Livingston. Blame is a footy person and has done his job with the club... for that we should be thankful.