Author Topic: Draft Night Tonight  (Read 10193 times)

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
Re: Draft Night Tonight
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2007, 05:40:05 PM »
I went last night too - just goes to show I have no idea who posters are on this forum. Didn't know blaisee was there or Struggles.

I'll be honest regarding pick 2  - I have no idea who they are going to pick. Cotchin or Morton, Morton or Cotchin  ???

As for pick 18 - that's going to be the toughest pick of the day I reckon.

It was an interesting night for me at least because I didn't go last year. They certainly get a lot of data together on all these kids

If you saw a big bloke in a red T-Shirt up the very back who was guzzling beers and putting Miller under a bit of heat about Jordan McMahon you might be getting warm WP :whistle

I went and will answer questions via PM if anyone wants to know specifics.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thx

Aren't you a carlton fan Mojo?
If your who i think you are, im a huge fan of your work but I can't sleep with the enemy mate!

Struggles, no matter what you say, the outcome will entirely depend on who other clubs are going to pick as to who we'll get so I'll wait for 10am Sat as I don't want to get my hopes up. Unless you know for certain who Carlton are going to take at 1 and who the other 15 picks are going to be before 18 its all hypothetical.

Very true Tiga( How the F**k are ya BTW?!)

The talk surrounding pick 2 was a little more clear cut as there's only one before us and its almost elementary who thats going to be.

We were shown a wish list of another 8 odd names that will be almost certainly be gone by 18, so the focus shifted onto 3-4 realistic options we think may still be there.
Same went for the pick 51. We were shown 3-4 boys we project may still be about and saw some highlights of all these lads.

Not exact science but a bit of a calculated projection.

I'm going really well Struggles. Been here ever since I got banned from that "other forum" due to mixing with the likes of MT, WP, Moi & Co. The air is much clearer here anyway.  :lol

I see your point regarding the info the club provided you on the night which would give you a much better insight as to what may happen but for me it would be like going for one of those full body scans which provide too much info. Just looking forward to Sat and the final outcomes.  :thumbsup

Good stuff mate.....

Yeah look the guys running the show last night at no stage said "This is our bloke @ pick--, but more like, "We hope one of these 4 that we feel may slip through" and showed a few snippets.

The video highlights were good, but inconclusive of plenty.
I'd have loved to have seen an analysis of what each boys percieved weaknesses were, and how difficult those weaknesses would be to overcome to make the grade as well.

Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline mojo

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2007, 07:30:33 PM »
I am not the infamous mojo31 that you see around the boards. I wish I had that much knowledge of players. Just your local born and bred tigers fan with a similar tag name :gotigers

I would still appreciate the PM with the information.

Thx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2007, 12:05:21 AM »
For those that went, Struggles and WP, did you get any feeling on how much emphasis Greg and Francis place respectively on video tapes of the kids, their draft camp results/data and watching the kids play live, in regards to judging them?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2007, 09:49:17 AM »
For those that went, Struggles and WP, did you get any feeling on how much emphasis Greg and Francis place respectively on video tapes of the kids, their draft camp results/data and watching the kids play live, in regards to judging them?

A fair bit. I got the feeling the draft camp is really importnat for actually getting to meet and speak to the kids - eg extrovert -v- introvert

One of the things I found interesting is that they re-do some of the stats. That is they get the Champion Data stats but FJ will look at a tape and do the numbers himself. Kicking efficiency etc
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2007, 02:14:52 PM »

The data was reasonably comprehensive.

Height, weight, all relavent times for running time trials(beep tests, 5km runs ect,ect) growth spurts over the past couple of years.

The interesting part for me was a comparison to a current AFL player whos playing position the club has earmarked for the junior. They showed comparisons to these players height/weight/endurance ect which was awesome reading.
The rest l just wasted.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2007, 02:24:12 PM »
The interesting part for me was a comparison to a current AFL player whos playing position the club has earmarked for the junior. They showed comparisons to these players height/weight/endurance ect which was awesome reading.

Sounds interesting.

Care to give an example struggler?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2007, 03:13:12 PM »
I'd guess it'd be an updated version of something like this on Cotchin comparing his camp results to Ball and McLean.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=39864

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2007, 03:29:42 PM »
A fair bit. I got the feeling the draft camp is really importnat for actually getting to meet and speak to the kids - eg extrovert -v- introvert

One of the things I found interesting is that they re-do some of the stats. That is they get the Champion Data stats but FJ will look at a tape and do the numbers himself. Kicking efficiency etc

The data was reasonably comprehensive.

Height, weight, all relavent times for running time trials(beep tests, 5km runs ect,ect) growth spurts over the past couple of years.

Cheers WP and Struggles. The reason I asked was because IMO nothing beats watching the kids play live. You get a better overall idea of their skills, decision making with and without the footy, how hard they work off the ball, how they adjust to the tempo of a more competitive game and all those things you can't see watching a game on tv. Sure you can analyse then further through the camp data and via tape but you get a more complete picture seeing them play live IMV. I've always felt due to lack of resources we rely too much on tapes.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2007, 04:11:51 PM »

Sounds interesting.

Care to give an example struggler?

PM sent :)
The rest l just wasted.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2007, 05:44:39 AM »
Are those who went to the Draft Night now allowed to reveal more of what they were told on the night?

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2007, 10:38:03 AM »
Are those who went to the Draft Night now allowed to reveal more of what they were told on the night?

I guess its all kosher now........

We were a lock for Cothchin.Neither Gm or FJ said so, but they had every concievable data on him possible.
After showing clips of both Morton and Cotchin we were asked for a show of hands on who would be our personal pick.
Cotchin was about an 80% vote. Miller then quipped "I'll remember that if things don't pan out perfectly" which gave us further impression it was going to happen.
FJ told us that the dogs would take player grant.....and they did.
They showed us a wish list of players that would be available between 2-18 but 'certainties' not to be there for our pick,and so they didn't even bother to show us any footage of these guys.
These included Rance and Selwood who were both still there at 18! FJ was super keen on Selwood, and even called him his 'lovechild' as a joke.I have had it confirmed that the lengthy discussion at the draft table when 18 was on the table was over Rance,who fitted an obvious need (DKP) or Selwood who was rated in our top 5.
Thankfully we went for the need, although if we had been shrewder and kept pick 19 we'd have both :'(

We thought that Dangerfield or Tarrant may be there, and we seemed 'hottest' on these pair.
Also included Lobbe,Veszpremi,McEvoy,Rioli and Maric. All of these blokes (not sure on Maric?) ended up gone before 18.
Pears was available and I think he would have been our pick had both Selwood and Rance been taken higher,as he also suited our defensive DP needs( FJ seemed keen on him when running through his footage as well).

We got our man at 51 in Putt.
we saw footage of him and it seemed the people present and FJ and GM were well aware we needed another ruckman, and assuming McEvoy was gone we rated Putt next highest.

We heard about  deal with West Coast that their recruiting dept accepted,but was knocked back at board level that would have seen Judd come to us.
Judds agent also rang Miller to suggest a $2.5 million per season would be invoked if the deal went ahead to try and throw a spanner in the works.

Someone asked FJ about Cameron Wood. FJ went to scout him at a Qld local comp game and said he was carved up by his opposition ruckman all day and lost interest immediately.
He also told us Willits and Kepler Bradley were not targets either.
Miller made a comment on Willits being slow and immobile and not worth pursuing and someone yelled out "well that rules out Guy Richards as well!" The room burst into laughter, but FJ and Gm just grinned at one another :-\

Geez I hope not..... :pray

The rest l just wasted.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »
I am glad we didn't get Judda$ and hope he has a sh*t of a time at the Blues.

I want Jacko and Kingy to pummel him at every centre bounce/ruck contest.

I am more excited about having the 3 youngsters (2 that we would have missed out on if we had of made the Judd trade).
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2007, 01:03:07 PM »
I am glad we didn't get Judda$ and hope he has a sh*t of a time at the Blues.

I want Jacko and Kingy to pummel him at every centre bounce/ruck contest.

I am more excited about having the 3 youngsters (2 that we would have missed out on if we had of made the Judd trade).

add on to that Jordy and Mitch Morton  ;)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2007, 01:22:46 PM »
i have never wished this on any afl player but i hope richo breaks judd's kneecaps.

sick of the sight of that prick
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2007, 01:44:42 PM »
Thanks for the low down on draft night Struggles.  :thumbsup Very interesting how things panned out. With Rance and Selwood going late it appears many clubs may have gone for players on need rather than form and rating. I was very happy overall with the way things panned out on Saturday. All we need to do now is get Gourdis to put the icing on the cake!  :clapping

I have a feeling in my waters that by the end of next season, Carlton may begin to regret the whole Judd deal. All clubs will have to do is lock Judd down (or take him out as some have suggested  ;D) and all they will end up being the Carlton of last season. :lol Judd has never been the same since he shaved his head. Can anyone ever recall a bald Brownlow medallist?? 

An appropriate quote from the classic film "Withnail & I"
Danny: "I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hair are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight."  :whistle